Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1757652 times)

GrGr

• WBA Coach

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #2350 on: September 13, 2014, 09:48:43 PM »
Well to be fair, those are just standard interview sound bites. Basically every manager says them. Not much different to what Mel was saying in his either when we had some particularly awful performances and results. People lapped that up though because he praised the supporters.

He's got a lot wrong these games but the players probably deserve even more criticism, two games in a row we've conceded thanks to 2 of our most senior pro's - Brunt and Olsson, passing the ball from inside their own box directly to the opposition. That's just unaccountably bad play.

Our senior pro's are just going through the motions. Says it all. We have a case of Prem Succeediitis ie a core of players getting on in years and losing hunger and drive. We see it most years when an pretty established PL teams suddenly drops like a rock (Newcastle, Fulham eg).

The senior players have to on the same page as the coach/manager but to me, and I reacted to this already in the Swansea game, they look like players who simply aren't fully present. I believe they have taken a look at what they see around them and simply in their heart of hearts think we are not going to make it this year.

It's the job of the head coach to ensure this does not happen. But Irvine is simply completely out of his league. We will keep seeing inept performances and inept teams on the pitch until he is gone. Irvine has done nothing whatsoever since he came to give even a glimmer of hope he can shape a winning team and kick the players out of the lethargy that has plagued us since the Clarke days.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2351 on: September 13, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »
I wonder if the official site will publish any more articles from the players highlighting the genius of Irvine. The flow of propaganda from the club since Irvine was appointed has been hilarious.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2352 on: September 13, 2014, 09:50:23 PM »
Every time I see him I have a flashback to Brian Little.  The man is dour and out of his depth and the football is just as bad.

I'll be chuffed if he's gone tonight and chalk it off as a bad mistake but I think he'll be given til after the Burnley game.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2353 on: September 13, 2014, 09:51:57 PM »
I wonder if the official site will publish any more articles from the players highlighting the genius of Irvine. The flow of propaganda from the club since Irvine was appointed has been hilarious.

Do we have Martin Swain to thank for this?  I have noticed its gone up a notch since he was appointed director of communications or whatever his title is.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2354 on: September 13, 2014, 09:52:56 PM »
Every time I see him I have a flashback to Brian Little.  The man is dour and out of his depth and the football is just as bad.

I'll be chuffed if he's gone tonight and chalk it off as a bad mistake but I think he'll be given til after the Burnley game.

Yes! Agree 100%

I compared him to Brian Little during the game today. We knew it wasn't working from day one, but it just kept going and getting worse.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2355 on: September 13, 2014, 09:53:07 PM »
Well to be fair, those are just standard interview sound bites. Basically every manager says them. Not much different to what Mel was saying in his either when we had some particularly awful performances and results. People lapped that up though because he praised the supporters.

He's got a lot wrong these games but the players probably deserve even more criticism, two games in a row we've conceded thanks to 2 of our most senior pro's - Brunt and Olsson, passing the ball from inside their own box directly to the opposition. That's just unaccountably bad play.
regardless of mistakes we still ended up with nil in both games.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2356 on: September 13, 2014, 09:53:34 PM »
Let's look at the background again:

1) Peace gets rid of a head coach who, if this forum and others where polls took place are anything to go by, the majority of fans wanted to stay on this season.

2) A new head coach is appointed who you'd be hard pushed to find anyone at all who wanted him to be appointed.

3) The way the fixtures fell meant that we needed to hit the ground running at the start of the season.

Based on the above, there was never going to be a honeymoon period. 6 games in and we've scored 3 times (1 of which was an own goal) and have 2 points to show for it, plus a penalties win, over a side that was bottom of League 2 at the time, that could easily have gone the other way.

Therefore, the reactions here, and what is a festering atmosphere at the ground, come as no surprise. In these circumstances, it was vital that Irvine did something to try to win the fans over, but he has made no attempt to do this and has just adopted a fearful approach which has made him reluctant to play our most creative players, whilst the remaining old guard, who have presided over an increasingly horrible run of what must now be something like 12 wins in our last 75 games, still hold sway.

"He's a great coach....": as I've said previously, this has to manifest itself in some way, otherwise what does it matter? What's actually getting better under his tenure, as a result of him being such a great coach? Where's the evidence of it?

Peace would be very brave to pull the trigger so soon, as it would be an admittance of a massive failure on his part which, as he would see it, would be the second failure in a row. However, I'm fearful that, if Irvine was sacked, we would just end up with Downing and Kiely until the end of the season.

Ultimately, something has to change, because the approach we're currently taking in matches is not working and we must do something different. If Irvine won't do it, then let's have a big clear out on the coaching side and let someone else have a go.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:03:13 PM by WorcsWBA »

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2357 on: September 13, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »
"He's a great coach...." is basically a platitude people roll out when they want to say something positive about Irvine (in this example) but simply don't have anything else to say.

WestBromJim

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2358 on: September 13, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »
Let's look at the background again:

1) Peace gets rid of a head coach who, if this forum and others where polls took place, the majority of fans wanted to stay on this season.

2) A new head coach is appointed who you'd be hard pushed to find anyone at all who wanted him to be appointed.

3) The way the fixtures fell meant that we needed to hit the ground running at the start of the season.

Based on the above, there was never going to be a honeymoon period. 6 games in and we've scored 3 times (1 of which was an own goal) and have 2 points to show for it, plus a penalties win, over a side that was bottom of League 2 at the time, that could easily have gone the other way.

Therefore, the reactions here, and what is a festering atmosphere at the ground, come as no surprise. In these circumstances, it was vital that Irvine did something to try to win the fans over, but he has made no attempt to do this and has just adopted a fearful approach which has made him reluctant to play our most creative players, whilst the remaining old guard, who have presided over an increasingly horrible run of what must now be something like 12 wins in our last 75 games, still hold sway.

"He's a great coach....": as I've said previously, this has to manifest itself in some way, otherwise what does it matter? What's actually getting better under his tenure, as a result of him being such a great coach? Where's the evidence of it?

Peace would be very brave to pull the trigger so soon, as it would be an admittance of a massive failure on his part which, as he would see it, would be the second failure in a row. However, I'm fearful that, if Irvine was sacked, we would just end up with Downing and Kiely until the end of the season.

Ultimately, something has to change, because the approach we're currently taking in matches is not working and we must do something different. If Irvine won't do it, then let's have a big clear out on the coaching side and let someone else have a go.

spot on
No matter where I roam, I will come back to the Brummie road, Cause no bonds, can ever tempt me from thee. The Jam (nearly)

BigDave

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2359 on: September 13, 2014, 09:58:56 PM »
We needed a clear out of all coaching staff etc in the summer. They went with a weak appointment

I don't blame Alan, he's well out his depth and doing his best, and tbf some individual errors are not his fault.

But in the 4 matches so far, we've been 1-0 down within the first 10 minutes three times, and within 2 minutes twice.

But irrespective of that whoever booed at half time is a complete clown, support the team

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2360 on: September 13, 2014, 10:00:29 PM »
I guess I was just trying to find some solace earlier following our defeat. Fact is, we need a motivator who can get our team going and quick because we are so much better than the tripe we've had to endure for too long. I guess the opinions are justified, just pray something will give soon and we will see a good competitive performance next week, the burnley game frankly scares me. Lose that and i think we might be gathering the pepsi and 7up before too long....

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2361 on: September 13, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »
"He's a great coach...." is basically a platitude people roll out when they want to say something positive about Irvine (in this example) but simply don't have anything else to say.

Everybody within the game is highly rated.

Can you think of anyone that has came out and slammed anybody as a poor coach?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BigDave

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2362 on: September 13, 2014, 10:02:49 PM »
Lose to spurs and don't beat burnley then unfortunately we have no option. We can't wait 15 games and then act. I just hope JP isn't too proud if it gets to that

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2363 on: September 13, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »
Lose to spurs and don't beat burnley then unfortunately we have no option. We can't wait 15 games and then act. I just hope JP isn't too proud if it gets to that

Its money, he will act, don't worry!
Baggie in Southampton

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2364 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
I have seen nothing yet that justifies his appointment.Tactically he appears out of his depth with outdated gameplans, he appears unable to motivate the players or the supporters in short where is the justification for his getting the job, doesnt look to me like the other 91 clubs were wrong   >:( >:(
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2365 on: September 13, 2014, 10:13:17 PM »

I sincerely hope Peace doesnt even wait to see how we do against Burnely with Irvine in charge, because (for some reason) my money would be on a negative performance and result.

BigDave

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2366 on: September 13, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »
As I say, I don't blame irvine, I blame Peace. He's got us in this mess, he needs to get us out of it

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2367 on: September 13, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »
If/ when they sack him, the silver linings for me would be for them to know who they want to replace him, and to get the new bloke in within days of AI leaving.

The way the last two appointments have been conducted I'm not hopeful of that happening.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2368 on: September 13, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »
If/ when they sack him, the silver linings for me would be for them to know who they want to replace him, and to get the new bloke in within days of AI leaving.

The way the last two appointments have been conducted I'm not hopeful of that happening.

It's because we have to find someone who will work with Keily and Downing. Most head coaches / managers like to work with their own people who they know, who they trust, who are on the same wavelength.

Keily and Downing need to be shown the door as well as Irvine and it needs to happen soon before we find ourselves in serious trouble.

johhnybaggies 4life

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2369 on: September 13, 2014, 10:26:46 PM »
It's downing IMO, we'd be managerless for 2 weeks if we sacked him!
Stick Together Through Thick And Thin

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2370 on: September 13, 2014, 10:32:08 PM »

It's because we have to find someone who will work with Keily and Downing. Most head coaches / managers like to work with their own people who they know, who they trust, who are on the same wavelength.

Keily and Downing need to be shown the door as well as Irvine and it needs to happen soon before we find ourselves in serious trouble.

You have a point.

Could it also be because when all's said and done, JP and Co don't really have a plan?

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2371 on: September 13, 2014, 10:33:21 PM »
Like I've stated before, we finished 17th last season and have been in poor form for around 18 months now and have signed 11 new players who the majority aren't match fit yet. To expect Irvine to fix this team in four games is simply not going to happen.
the regime don't like it man

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2372 on: September 13, 2014, 10:34:05 PM »

That post is spot on.

We can see it, so why can't the people that matter see it and act on it!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2373 on: September 13, 2014, 10:34:22 PM »
You have a point.

Could it also be because when all's said and done, JP and Co don't really have a plan?

Their plan is to just change the head coach and keep the continuity. I think the plan is flawed though. Look what happened to Pepe Mel when he wanted to change the way we played, The player and other coaches pretty much united against him. That cannot be healthy.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2374 on: September 13, 2014, 10:34:33 PM »
Like I've stated before, we finished 17th last season and have been in poor form for around 18 months now and have signed 11 new players who the majority aren't match fit yet. To expect Irvine to fix this team in four games is simply not going to happen.

Burnley will be his eighth and final game.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.