Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2353809 times)

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #1325 on: July 04, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »
I know Joe Kinnear is a laughing stock, but I'm beginning to believe he's geniunely not right in the head:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/joe-kinnear-continues-wrong-everything-015001638.html

I'm not being funny, but it's not normal to get simple things like the duration of his previous job incorrect, or not even in the right ballpark?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1326 on: July 24, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »
 Sunderland beat Tottenham 3-1 over in Asia. Looked impressive
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1327 on: July 24, 2013, 01:51:44 PM »
The pitch looked really bad had to cut the game to eighty minutes due to so much rain. However a good confidence boost for Sunderland as they go into the final now. The first Sunderland goal was a from a very poor touch from Tom Huddlestone.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1328 on: July 26, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »
Maybe better judged when the window closes but who are your 3 favourites to go down?

Mine would be the 3 that came up

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1329 on: July 26, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »
I think Cardiff will stay up this season, however I do fancy Hull and Crystal Palace to go down. As for the third team going to be a close one, looking forward to seeing how Stoke adapt under Mark Hughes, I think Villa are in for a tough season. Norwich have been spending money and have been bringing in some decent players, Southampton are doing something similar too. Sunderland are the other team that I really see struggling. 
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1330 on: July 28, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
Maybe better judged when the window closes but who are your 3 favourites to go down?

Mine would be the 3 that came up

Have to agree with the points made by WBASPE77
For me it's between Hull, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Norwich, Sunderland, Villa and Stoke.

I'll go for Hull, Stoke & Palace.

On a slightly different note a lot of the Hull City fans think they'll be fine and will finish around mid-table. Can't see it myself.
 Danny Graham is a decent signing for them but they lack a strong defence and don't have the depth to cope with injuries.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1331 on: July 28, 2013, 09:11:09 AM »
Have to agree with the points made by WBASPE77
For me it's between Hull, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Norwich, Sunderland, Villa and Stoke.

I'll go for Hull, Stoke & Palace.

On a slightly different note a lot of the Hull City fans think they'll be fine and will finish around mid-table. Can't see it myself.
 Danny Graham is a decent signing for them but they lack a strong defence and don't have the depth to cope with injuries.

Danny Graham did well at Swansea but he did have some very good players who would provide scoring opportunities for him. For Hull to finish mid table this season would be one hell of an achievement I hope they stay up this season as there are too clubs I would very much love to see go down.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1332 on: July 28, 2013, 11:50:04 AM »
I just don't think Graham has enough about him to be a Premiership player.

He's a bit like Steve Morison at Norwich - I.e. they are very good at Championship level but at the top they'll barely get 5 goals a season which isn't great.

If you watch Morison and Graham, the issue is that their play isn't fantastic and their goals are scrappy (and not in a Kevin Phillips type "It doesn't matter because they're a poacher type way" either).
I remember when we were in for Graham and Long and I watched a few highlight reels and heard comments about them. The consensus was that Long was better as his overall play was quality, and his goals often required his own skill. Graham however, just happened to score a few scrappy goals and didn't contribute much in the build up.
I think that is why Long has gone on to be quite a celebrated Premiership player whilst Graham's on the brink of the Championship, he just lacks real quality and is basic.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1333 on: July 29, 2013, 08:25:27 AM »
Danny Graham did well at Swansea but he did have some very good players who would provide scoring opportunities for him. For Hull to finish mid table this season would be one hell of an achievement I hope they stay up this season as there are too clubs I would very much love to see go down.

Agreed he had very good players around him but he also suited the way they play...something that he plainly didn't at Sunderland. From talking to friends I gather Hull City like to play with wingers and favour a 3-5-2 line up which should suit him. I wouldn't mind them staying up as it'd be an away game I could walk to!(selfish reason, I know!) but I think they'll struggle.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1334 on: August 11, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »
Although West Brom may not enjoy as good a season as the last one, only 1 of our 13 pundits expect the club to go down.

With the Premier League season just one week away, 13 of our football pundits have put their heads together to give you a comprehensive set of predictions.

Each pundit predicted where each Premier League club will finish the season, with 20 points for the club predicted to finish 1st, down to 1 point for the club finishing bottom.

We then added up all the points and:

Verdict - West Brom will finish 13th

Highest prediction: 7th, Lowest prediction: 18th

2013/14 Premier League final table predictions

Jamie Allen: 7th - Strong transfer window bringing in the likes of Anelka and Lugano to add to an already solid base. Strong season.

Lewis Doe: 9th - West Brom haven’t tinkered too much during the summer. It will be a blow to the club that they havn't been able to retain Romelu Lukaku. but at least they haven’t lost other key players.

Ian Bolland: 10th - I expect West Brom to have a very solid season once again.

Vic Daniels: 10th - Another decent season for the baggies, as Steve Clarke consolidates the club in the Prem. Yo-Yo now a no-no

Alan Dawson: 12th - League positions from 9-15 are up for grabs, with not much to separate them. For West Brom, the loss of Romelu Lukaku will be a concern, but Diego Lugano could prove a steal.

Callum Farrell: 12th - Steve Clarke’s squad will suffer after Lukaku’s loan arrangement finished this summer, and Nicolas Anelka is unlikely to achieve a similar goal tally.

Graham Morris: 13th - I'm expecting a harder season for West Brom. There was a suggestion that they'd been found out at the backend of last season, so a solid start is imperative for the Baggies.

Mathew Nash: 13th - The club have brought in a couple of veterans who I doubt will bring much improvement to the team - so I see a much tougher year on the horizon. Whilst relegation should be out of the question, do not be surprised to see them teeter close on occasions.

Vincent Ralph: 14th - Yes the Baggies have made one of the signings of the summer in Diego Lugano, but they have lost Romelu Lukaku. West Brom are in safe hands under Steve Clarke, but those sides around them have spent more wisely this summer and unless a few new faces arrive at The Hawthorns, they will be overtaken by more prolific spenders.

Dan Coombs: 15th - West Brom will have to find a replacement for Romelu Lukaku, and its just hard to see Nicolas Anelka cutting it over the whole course of the season, no matter what his pre-season form may suggest. Shane Long will be vital, but another late slide once they are safe will skew their league position to look worse than the true value of their squad.

Jenny Leigh: 15th - Steve Clarke’s squad will suffer after Lukaku’s loan finished this summer and Nicolas Anelka is unlikely to achieve a similar goal tally. They should avoid any relegation threat due to a strong defence created through the signing of Diego Lugano from PSG.

Nick Harris: 16th - The Midlands side have struggled in the transfer market so far, and with Nicolas Anelka unlikely to have the impact that Romelu Lukaku did last season, they might face a difficult year.

Gareth McKnight: 18th - Could be a really tough season for West Brom – they lack firepower and without Lukaku don’t have much in attack.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1335 on: August 11, 2013, 10:16:38 PM »
Any chance of putting a link to where you got it from please ?  ;)

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1336 on: August 11, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »
Any chance of putting a link to where you got it from please ?  ;)

Probably Smethwick Workingmen's Club ;D ;D

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1337 on: August 15, 2013, 12:29:36 PM »
Not much activity at Stoke and most of their players have been brain washed of the past so they might find it difficult adapting to their new West Brazil style of play
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1338 on: August 16, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »
For what it is worth blog on how I see the Premier League running out this season. Last year I was nearly completely wrong on my tips so a bit like the Wolves the only way is up.  ;D

http://lookbackinmildbewilderment.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-season-of-coach.html
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1339 on: August 17, 2013, 01:34:17 PM »
I'm not much of a fan of either Liverpool or Stoke, but on this instance I'm happy to see that Liverpool are winning one nil. Daniel Sturridge with the goal.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1340 on: August 17, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
Walters missed a penalty for Stoke
Arsenal 1 Villa 0
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1341 on: August 17, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
Utd 2-0 up at Swansea. RVP and Welbeck

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1342 on: August 17, 2013, 10:46:19 PM »
A very good and efficient performance from United today, I expect Crystal Palace v Tottenham to be a good game, I see Chelsea putting a few past Hull tomorrow. I expect a hard long season for Sunderland not a great result for them today.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1343 on: August 18, 2013, 04:38:13 AM »
Thought United looked quality, great finish by welbeck for the 4th. hopefully City, united and Chelsea can fight it out all the way to the end this year.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1344 on: August 18, 2013, 11:39:06 AM »
We just got to hope Hull and Palace getted stuffed today, they are our only hope
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1345 on: August 18, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »
Crystal Palace are starting to get into the game now, but I still expect Tottenham to win. I don't see Palace scoring enough goals this season, interesting to see how Gayle gets on this season.  I don't see either Hull or Palace winning enough games to keep them up this season. 
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1346 on: August 18, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
Spurs beat Palace 1-0.

Kevin Phillips was a second half substitute.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1347 on: August 18, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »
Not a bad game between Crystal Palace v Spurs. Palace had some good moments towards the end of the game. Lukaku on the bench for Chelsea today. I see Chelsea getting a few today.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1348 on: August 18, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »
Chelsea 1 Hull 0, it could easily have been 3-0 Chelsea have missed a penalty and Frank Lampard made Alan McGregor into a good save.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1349 on: August 18, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »
The media whore is back...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23748851

I can't be the only one who can't stand this bloke?