Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2380236 times)

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #1300 on: June 06, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
Some interesting reports that Michael Laudrup could be leaving Swansea after a bust up with his chairman. I personally feel he's trying to pressure the club into giving him more funds for players this summer especially with them having Europa League football meaning the squad could be stretched.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:47:21 PM by B_H_Baggie »

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1301 on: June 06, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »
I can see Everton struggling next season, at best being mid-table. Moyes was getting 100% out of the available squad over the years. I don't think that Martinez will achieve this, especially as he'll probably try to tweak the way that they play. It's not like Martinez has a great record in the Prem either (other clubs on similar budgets have done better).

Its going to be very interesting this coming season with all the managerial changes. Just like Moyes will have to start well to get United fans on his side Martinez will have to do the same at Everton. For me Martinez is highly overrated, take the FA Cup win away from his record and what exactly has he achieved? Wigan were getting better finishes under people like Steve Bruce.

He has a massive task on his hands to follow up from Moyes.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1302 on: June 10, 2013, 09:59:52 AM »
With all the upheaval that has happened/happening at so many clubs , we will never have a better chance to get a European spot, and whilst I don't like to say this , Liverpool and spurs could actually finish top 3.
It will be interesting hats for sure.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1303 on: June 10, 2013, 04:15:02 PM »
Its going to be very interesting this coming season with all the managerial changes. Just like Moyes will have to start well to get United fans on his side Martinez will have to do the same at Everton. For me Martinez is highly overrated, take the FA Cup win away from his record and what exactly has he achieved? Wigan were getting better finishes under people like Steve Bruce.

He has a massive task on his hands to follow up from Moyes.

But you cant take that FA Cup away from him...he has won it and nobody can take that away from him.

Wigan have been dicing with relegation for 3 years and he has kept them up until this year even though they lost the majority of their star players.

I think he is overrated too but its like saying take away 6 of Man Utds wins this year and they would finish 2nd when the reality is much different..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1304 on: June 10, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »
So whos your tip to win the premier next season.I will go with Chelski
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1305 on: June 10, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »
Chelsea shall win the league in my opinion. Especially if they strengthen during the summer with Manchester City being their nearest competitors.

I really see David Moyes having a struggle on his hand to match the expectancy of the club and filling the massive void that Sir Alex Ferguson has left - especially for a club which doesn't tend to spend too big every summer. I expect to see Man United sitting on the sidelines for a couple of years.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #1306 on: June 10, 2013, 08:42:14 PM »
Im not sure I think Chelsea will begin a rebuild just like United.

I have sneaky feeling about Arsenal this coming season not sure why but I think it might see the coming of age of some players if they can strengthen in key areas.

I also feel Everton will finish mid table after they loose a few key players without replacing them.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1307 on: June 10, 2013, 09:05:46 PM »
Wonder what the odds would be on Fergie returning should Man Utd fail to qualify for the Champions League.  ;D

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1308 on: June 11, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
Chelsea shall win the league in my opinion. Especially if they strengthen during the summer with Manchester City being their nearest competitors.

I really see David Moyes having a struggle on his hand to match the expectancy of the club and filling the massive void that Sir Alex Ferguson has left - especially for a club which doesn't tend to spend too big every summer. I expect to see Man United sitting on the sidelines for a couple of years.

You say it's a massive void, but don't forget that Fergie is still at the club, most likely to mentor Moyes. I reckon United will win it again.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1309 on: June 11, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »
Depends who Utd sign I reckon...

Chelsea will win it this year for me..

A great base squad and Mourinho will sign someone 'Special'

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1310 on: June 11, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
Man City for me if their new gaffer can sort the ego's out.

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1311 on: June 11, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »
This thread just goes to show how interesting the premier league will be next season. Its so hard to call, so many changes. I personally think Chelsea will win the league.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1312 on: June 11, 2013, 02:46:11 PM »
Today United linked with Thiago, Fabregas and Lewandowski as well as a firm interest in Ronaldo

City linked with Lewandowski too as well as signing Navas and Fernandinho already, plus they could sign anyone they want in the coming weeks

....and Chelsea being linked with superstars too, way too close to call but if United get at least 2 of the 4 big links then they should be in the driving seat but like i say too close to call at the moment
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1313 on: June 16, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
I thought Mike Ashley had learned his lesson with his appointment of Dennis Wise as Director of Football, but I am sure Newcastle fans must be fuming with the appointment of Joe Kinnear in that role. Kinnear was a total failure in his time as interim manager at Newcastle and yet he is going to have the final say on all comings and goings at the club. I couldn't believe his comments on Sky Sports that he is a good judge of a player, a good tactician etc. etc. He says he can improve Newcastle to be a much better team than it is now - a wonderful recommendation of Newcastle current manager Alan Pardew, who he admits he has not even talked to about the appointment. The storm clouds must already be gathering over St James' Park and it will be interesting to discover what the fans think of the appointment.

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1314 on: June 16, 2013, 11:20:28 PM »
How was he a failure?

Was 3rd from bottom when they took over and 12th when he was forced to resign?!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1315 on: June 16, 2013, 11:24:42 PM »
Mike knows what he's doing. Strange decision though and Kinnear seems a bit mad.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1316 on: June 17, 2013, 07:29:27 AM »
How was he a failure?

Was 3rd from bottom when they took over and 12th when he was forced to resign?!

He won just 21 per cent of the matches he was in charge - the second worst record of any Newcastle manager in the last 20 years. The difference between third from bottom and 12th can be just three or four points at certain stages of the season. Just look at the Newcastle Chronicle online to see what they think of Kinnear's appointment.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1317 on: June 17, 2013, 07:48:28 AM »
I cant see Pardew lasting long
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1318 on: June 17, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »
Neither do I Devon and I do wonder whether this is some ploy in helping Pardew step aside - I just don't get the appointment of Kinnear of all people. Newcastle have recruited some very good players in the last year or two so I don't know why Ashley feels the need to insert Kinnear as a director of football - I'm pretty sure he did similar with Dennis Wise.

Just when you think Mike Ashley had learned from his previous mistakes he goes and pulls a stunt like this.

His interview just seemed like he was blowing his own trumpted; his skills are his tactics and being able to judge a player - I guess you should let the Newcastle fans judge that and not yourself, Joe.

I did have to laugh at these two quotes, however: "If I see players at the club right now and don't think they are good enough I intend to move them on." - Surely that should be down to Alan Pardew who he wants apart of his playing staff? Kinnear insisted "there will be no issues" between him and Pardew. - Yeah, ok, Joe.

An appointment which I can only see heading in one direction.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1319 on: June 18, 2013, 01:18:10 AM »
If there are any doubts as to why this is a disastrous appointment for Newcastle then I would urge you to view his interview on TalkSport last night. From a neutral point of view, it was highly comical although nothing short of embarrassing. He refered to Derek Llambias and Derek Lambese, Yohan Cabaye is now better known as Yohan Kebab, Jonas Gutierrez is now Galtieriez, Hatem Ben Arfa is now known as Ben Afra and the Ameobi brothers are now Amenobi which has lead to Sammy voicing his discontent on Twitter - the other remarkable thing I noticed was Kinnear stating he signed Tim Krul - the same Krul who joined Newcastle in 2005 - Kinnear didn't join until 2008.

That doesn't take into account the slagging off of the Newcastle supporters who he more or less dismissed and claimed them to be unintelligent if they didn't agree with this latest charade of an highly entertaining (for the wrong reasons) Ashley era. This appointment will already cause upheavel in the streets of Newcastle and the last think they need is to be abused by classless man who is creating an untenable position. He's also further adhered himself to the 'Geordie Media' who he also slagged off in this rather strange interview.

Also what was noticable in the interview was the lies he sprouted. I've picked a few of these from Twitter which I feel are worthwhile to paint a picture of how strange this appointment is:

Newcastle Stats ?@NewcastleStats 28s
Joe Kinnear: "My record speaks for itself", 5 wins in 26 games as #NUFC boss. Drew 3 & lost 5 in last 8. #KinnearLies #JoeKinnearFacts

Newcastle Stats ?@NewcastleStats 6m
Joe Kinnear: "i have never relegated a team", other than Luton (00/01) - after demoting the manager and appointing himself. #KinnearLies

Newcastle Stats ?@NewcastleStats 11m
Joe Kinnear: "i made over 400 appearances for Spurs", he actually made only 251. Strange... #KinnearLies

Newcastle Stats ?@NewcastleStats 14m
Joe Kinnear: "I have never been sacked as a football manager", apart from at Nottingham Forest (2004). And Luton (2003). #KinnearLies

Newcastle Stats ?@NewcastleStats 20m
"James Perch is still at the club from my time there", Kinnear left #NUFC in 2009, Perch was signed by Chris Hughton in 2010. #KinnearLies

The man is a walking time bomb with no sense of how to handle the media obviously knows very little about PR. He will be a total embarrassment and I expect it to all end in misery - providing Ashley now goes through with the appointment - it's yet to be confirmed. If a director of football was needed, then it need a vibrant, forward thinking, modernised man and not an out of touch, classless, dinosaur who has already caused annoyance and anger on Tyneside.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1320 on: June 18, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »
Signings happening all over the place.Their should be some useful scraps for the Albion to feed off with whats left over
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1321 on: June 18, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »
Hope I'm wrong here but I'm not sure Kinnear is 'well'.  You cant get that much wrong in terms of facts, stats or pronunciation.  For him to come out and state that he in the DOF without any official announcement for two days seems odd to say the least.

I just hope the blokes alright because if he is of sane mind then he is being made out to look like a right fool.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1322 on: June 18, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22954309

Spoke too soon.  Been confirmed now.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1323 on: June 18, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
"I've been managed of the year three times"

"I've traveled the world as a manager"

"I've played in five cup finals and won the lot"

"I've played 400 games for Tottenham Hotspur"

He then follows this up by saying

Nobodys got an ego. I haven't got an ego

He's just spent the previous few minutes talking about his achievements! I can only feel sorry for the supporters of Newcastle who have once again be sold a mug by Mike Ashley.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1324 on: June 19, 2013, 09:58:32 AM »
Here is the opening round of Premiership fixtures. Tough starts for Villa and Stoke. Swansea v Man Utd will be a tough start for David Moyes. Crystal Palace v Tottenham looks a good game too. 

Arsenal V Aston Villa
Chelsea V Hull
Crystal Palace V Tottenham
Liverpool V Stoke
Man City V Newcastle
Norwich V Everton
Sunderland V Fulham
Swansea V Man Utd
West Brom V Southampton
West Ham V Cardiff
WBAFC
MIB