Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5164693 times)

Baggie Boy

• Youth Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #900 on: February 12, 2015, 01:09:17 AM »
Tonight proves a point, at Burnley we played without intensity, with long balls and no real passion or hunger. We were lucky to get a point.

Tonight we played some decent football, there was good link up play and handy initiative, we had a good defensive shape tonight.

On Sunday Pulis got it completely and utterly wrong, tonight he was spot on! Time will tell but I for one am hoping we see more of what we saw tonight.

BaggiesFacts

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #901 on: February 12, 2015, 01:30:46 AM »
Some questioned the appointment of Pulis pointing towards his apparent complete lack of ability in terms of getting his sides to play 'football' rather than the rugby his Stoke side used to play, at times.

Yes there will be moments when we have to go more direct, but I don't think people should confuse this with us adopting Stoke-esque strategies. Pulis has today got us playing quick-tempo, decent, attacking football using the wings and instructing his players to keep pushing high, this will win us games. This isn't hoofball. We may see a return to those tactics at some point but every team reverts to that style at some point in certain situations.

Let's judge Tony Pulis on now, and what our team do now. During his transtitional period of six weeks we've built at the back and as we move forward through his time at the club I've no doubt we'll see football that's a bit more pleasing on the eye than some would suggest and more importantly we'll win football matches.

COYB.

WBAFC - 1878

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #902 on: February 12, 2015, 06:35:39 AM »
If what we saw last night was the Pulis "blueprint* then I am happy with it. Organisation, teamwork, commitment,belief
and for the first time in a long time the players looked as if they enjoyed it. I think that when TP is able to change a few more players in the summer, this club can start to make its mark in the Prem second group and keep well clear of relegation battles.Very encouraged. Nice to see a manager tactically aware too. 
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #903 on: February 12, 2015, 07:16:35 AM »
Tonight proves a point, at Burnley we played without intensity, with long balls and no real passion or hunger. We were lucky to get a point.

Tonight we played some decent football, there was good link up play and handy initiative, we had a good defensive shape tonight.

On Sunday Pulis got it completely and utterly wrong, tonight he was spot on! Time will tell but I for one am hoping we see more of what we saw tonight.

Agreed. I was hugely encouraged last night and it just goes to back up my view that we could have won that Burnley game if we had played with the same intensity and intent.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #904 on: February 12, 2015, 07:49:03 AM »
When I got home last night I watched the game again on Sky. What I hadn't picked up sitting in the East Stand was how vocal Pulis is!

On the TV he could be heard over the crowd yelling at the players, getting instructions over, geeing people up.

Can't fault his enthusiasm!
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

stanthesetter

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #905 on: February 12, 2015, 08:14:23 AM »
if last night was an indication of how TP wants to play, i'm all for it.
thought mozzi had good burst game, he's still quick ,for an old un ! :D
"wear the collar luv, you know it makes sense".

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #906 on: February 12, 2015, 08:31:39 AM »
Yes there will be moments when we have to go more direct, but I don't think people should confuse this with us adopting Stoke-esque strategies. Pulis has today got us playing quick-tempo, decent, attacking football using the wings and instructing his players to keep pushing high, this will win us games. This isn't hoofball. We may see a return to those tactics at some point but every team reverts to that style at some point in certain situations.
What would you say the 36% possession we had yesterday (in a home game) is indicative of?

Although they were talking about Man Utd, I saw some interesting stats on Sky the other day, where we have played more long balls than any other team in the Premier League so far this season - more than 1000. That figure was nearly 200 more than the third team in that list (Hull). Obviously this can only partially be down to Pulis, but it is a telling statistic nonetheless. In their stats, Sky were distinguishing been long balls and long passing, which implies that long balls are effectively hoofs.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #907 on: February 12, 2015, 08:32:12 AM »
If thats how Pulis wants to play then is fine by me!

I thought we played good football at times, went direct at times, workrate was non stop and just a very enjoyable game and performance.

I hope we carry on in that vein, home and away because teams will have a lot of the ball when we are away (like Swansea although we were at home) but the style last night worked and showed we can play that way.

Whatever Pulis said to them after Sunday and in his chat with the senior players, it worked!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #908 on: February 12, 2015, 08:41:20 AM »
When I got home last night I watched the game again on Sky. What I hadn't picked up sitting in the East Stand was how vocal Pulis is!

On the TV he could be heard over the crowd yelling at the players, getting instructions over, geeing people up.

Can't fault his enthusiasm!

This is exactly what i like to see from the team leader, i love his interviews too. i can cope with his football for now
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #909 on: February 12, 2015, 08:55:50 AM »

This is exactly what i like to see from the team leader, i love his interviews too. i can cope with his football for now

Nice to hear in last nights interview that he is desperate to win the cup tie.
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #910 on: February 12, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »

Nothing wrong with his footbal last night. Best performance on home soil for many months
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #911 on: February 12, 2015, 09:00:12 AM »
The fact is Pulis seems to be aware of a need for a plan B - something we badly missed last season and the first half of this. I'm sure we wouldn't have got as many points out of the last few games if we still had Clarke, Mel or Irvine in charge. Pulis seems to be a great organizer and is a 'Mr Motivator' (hopefully without the lycra) and knows when to press certain buttons with players - he switched on Ideye's lights anyway. He seems to want to build a solid core from which we can then go on to play with pace and power. It seems to be getting there but will take time and certainly the summer and maybe the one after that to bolster the plan. I think the early signs are very good but we all need to focus on getting another 4 wins and a couple of draws to be sure this year , then we can think about how we play a bit more progressive football which will cmoe if we're solid and get in some new attackers.

The most pleasing thing is that the players are responding to him.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #912 on: February 12, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »
I don't care about United, nor do I hate Pulis or anyone. I am just relieved we saw the football I expected when Pulis came in, in contrast to pure Stoke type Pulisball or another flat Burnley like performance. Finally our players looked to express themselves and looked like they enjoyed themselves on the pitch. Sanity saved, phew!

It looks as if someone at the club reads this board tbh. Finally a bit of movement, speed and creativity going forward built on a solid base in the middle. Today for the first time this season we looked where we should be, a comfortable mid table team rather than relegation fodder.

Halleluia to this, after the recent dour displays, & players playing out of position, I was in despair of us ever seeing an attack again, last night was a breath of fresh air. May it long continue.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #913 on: February 12, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
The club cant really win either way to be fair, Im happy for us to give the reigns to Pulis to work as the last 2 years has been incredibly frustrating, we just beat a good swansea side 2-0 at home superb lets kick on and see where we can finish, I guarentee the ones asking for good football attacking and expansive would be the same ones moaning if we got relegated.

I wouldnt trust our recruiting department to bring in three or four players who can carry out that way if im being honest hence why we havent had a half decent winger in 2/3 years.

Would be good to see berahino play in an albion team which flourished as i think he could bag 20 goals but you also need the wingers and the rest of the midfield to be agressive when getting forward, I dont think we would acquire the parts to play that way with the suits we have at the club at the moment, Hence why im a fan of the pulis movement.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #914 on: February 12, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »
The club cant really win either way to be fair, Im happy for us to give the reigns to Pulis to work as the last 2 years has been incredibly frustrating, we just beat a good swansea side 2-0 at home superb lets kick on and see where we can finish, I guarentee the ones asking for good football attacking and expansive would be the same ones moaning if we got relegated.

I wouldnt trust our recruiting department to bring in three or four players who can carry out that way if im being honest hence why we havent had a half decent winger in 2/3 years.

Would be good to see berahino play in an albion team which flourished as i think he could bag 20 goals but you also need the wingers and the rest of the midfield to be agressive when getting forward, I dont think we would acquire the parts to play that way with the suits we have at the club at the moment, Hence why im a fan of the pulis movement.

I'm really struggling to see what the Pulis detractors want, P8, W4, D3, L1, the best record an Albion manager has had for a long while.
Baggie in Southampton

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #915 on: February 12, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »
I'm really struggling to see what the Pulis detractors want, P8, W4, D3, L1, the best record an Albion manager has had for a long while.

You're right about his record, however to be fair before last night the performances had been at best dour and at worst dull.

The guy in front of me, who has followed Albion home and away, and internationally too for fifty one years,  was saying before the game last night how unhappy he was with the style of football being played and its negativity. He went on to say he wasn't coming against West Ham, his first home absence for years.

At the end of the match he turned round smiling and said "See you Saturday then".

Positive intent, and an attacking winning side is what people want. We don't have to be Barca, it's just better if we're not Stoke.

Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #916 on: February 12, 2015, 09:40:23 AM »
What would you say the 36% possession we had yesterday (in a home game) is indicative of?

Although they were talking about Man Utd, I saw some interesting stats on Sky the other day, where we have played more long balls than any other team in the Premier League so far this season - more than 1000. That figure was nearly 200 more than the third team in that list (Hull). Obviously this can only partially be down to Pulis, but it is a telling statistic nonetheless. In their stats, Sky were distinguishing been long balls and long passing, which implies that long balls are effectively hoofs.

Interesting about the long ball stats. I suppose it's down to the methodology used.

The stats used in the link below suggest we are by no means the most reliant team on long balls in the PL.

The stats are based on the number of short passes to long balls ratio. Our ratio is 4.8 short passes made for every long ball, which puts us in 14th position.

Just another perspective to consider.

http://talksport.com/football/revealed-pl-clubs-most-and-least-reliant-long-balls-150211136015?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:42:25 AM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #917 on: February 12, 2015, 09:47:32 AM »
You're right about his record, however to be fair before last night the performances had been at best dour and at worst dull.

The guy in front of me, who has followed Albion home and away, and internationally too for fifty one years,  was saying before the game last night how unhappy he was with the style of football being played and its negativity. He went on to say he wasn't coming against West Ham, his first home absence for years.

At the end of the match he turned round smiling and said "See you Saturday then".

Positive intent, and an attacking winning side is what people want. We don't have to be Barca, it's just better if we're not Stoke.

Getting results at the moment is more important than playing style, its time for a pragmatic approach by everyone, team, fans and manager.

Win the next 4 league games, we can then all relax and hopefully enjoy the season end and Pulis can mould the team into what he wants.

If he stays, I can see Pulis being as popular as Megson, maybe more so.
Baggie in Southampton

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #918 on: February 12, 2015, 10:09:40 AM »

Some would prefer a 21% win record ;) however, this is just 1 win and with this team it will be a struggle to keep away from the relegation battle. We can only secure our Premiership standing if we play as a team, not as individuals  (Yes I am thinking of Berahino),so Pullis has his work cut out to instill  camaraderie into this club and that includes the fans, something that has been lacking since Pepe Mel was here.  I saw a glimpse of that on Wednesday night - albeit on a stream, I am not able to attend as much as I would like. 

Pullis made an excellent signing in Fletcher not just because of his skills and energy on the pitch, but also his whole - hearted enthusiasm for the team and supporters.

This won't be an easy ride, it will be one hell of a roller-coaster! then again whats new at the Baggies!!

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #919 on: February 12, 2015, 10:18:38 AM »
For the remainder of this season playing style goes out the window, we have to stay up by any means possible.  I will judge Pulis’s ‘style’ next season when he has had a summer to shape the squad, however I’m slightly perplexed at those who suggest that this was some sort of champagne performance, the first half was pretty dismal, we improved in the second as we did on Sunday.

Cracking result.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:20:50 AM by Signor_Maresca »
"This crack is really moreish."

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #920 on: February 12, 2015, 10:21:11 AM »
Rome wasn't built in a day!!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #921 on: February 12, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
For the remainder of this season playing style goes out the window, we have to stay up by any means possible.  I will judge Pulis’s ‘style’ next season when he has had a summer to shape the squad, however I’m slightly perplexed at those who suggest that this was some sort of champagne performance, the first half was pretty dismal, we improved in the second as we did on Sunday.

Cracking result.

I thought we played well throughout, the tempo was much better & I thought we were unlucky not to be in front at half time. I said to my mate at H/T "this is the first game in a long time, I think we will win"
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #922 on: February 12, 2015, 11:53:11 AM »
survival first whatever it takes, then we look at the style and how that can improve

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #923 on: February 12, 2015, 12:08:05 PM »
Going up to the game last night I had pretty much no confidence at all that we'd come away with any more than a point, against a good Swansea team. I base that on our previous 2 performances, where we stood off & watched the other team play around us & coast into 2 goal leads.
Came away beaming like a Cheshire cat, after a thoroughly deserved 2-0 win, in which we never looked like conceding. Played some decent stuff too, with the move that lead to Mcmanaman shooting over in the first half springing to mind.
More of the same please Tony & you'll have us safe & with a trip to Wembley in the offing!
Ok, I know ...  I'm getting carried away now!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #924 on: February 12, 2015, 12:55:05 PM »
I think last nights tactics were dictated by the absence of Anichebe to be honest. As good as it was to see a Hodgson-esque performance of quick, passing attacking play, I think it was only really because Ideye and Berahino were up front.

Looking at the bench I wondered if Olsson was there just in case we were losing and he wanted to go long ball.