Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5172952 times)

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #875 on: February 10, 2015, 10:37:25 PM »
just read the article in the mail about his meeting with senior players on Tuesday. there always seems to be something wrong at the albion these days.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #876 on: February 10, 2015, 10:44:05 PM »
just read the article in the mail about his meeting with senior players on Tuesday. there always seems to be something wrong at the albion these days.

I just read that too, didn't see anything wrong, TP just wants them to move up a couple of knotches that's all.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #877 on: February 10, 2015, 10:55:10 PM »
With respect having one decent forward , a powder puff midfield and weak defenders cost us a lot more than Carson that season.

Tony Mowbray's much maligned tippy tappy team (hate that nonsense term) was FAR inferior on paper to what we have now.

Yet the fact is that we are better now only by the slimmest possible margin IF we are better. So the fact is Tony Mowbray was getting much more out of his very slim resources than a number of managers have since. In fact, our much lauded and extremely well payed Premier League stars risk taking our infinitely more prosperous club down back into the Championship this season.

We didn't get relegated because Tony Mowbray played decent football, we got relegated because we didn't have a good enough squad for the Premiership. This year we should, on paper, have more than good enough players (albeit a poorly balanced and lopsided squad) to survive.

What do these facts tell you?

Tony Mowbray can have a good belly laugh if we go down this season, altough I am sure he is far too classy to do something like that and will be sad if we do.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #878 on: February 10, 2015, 11:04:01 PM »
Mowbray has nothing to do with our current situation. However, he is a proven failed manager at Celtic and Middlesbrough were he did have superior funds to most clubs around him.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #879 on: February 10, 2015, 11:16:03 PM »
My original post was in reply to a previous poster blaming Carson for everything , lets not forget TM spent a fair amount on that squad on failures in Valero , Zuvi , Meite , Moore plus others . I liked TM but he was found out , our defending that season was awful overall and that didn't improve at Celtic or Boro ...I honestly thought he would improve defence wise after us but it seems worse.
The squad now should be doing a lot better , we know that ....it's gone slowly backwards since Clarke's first season .It tells me we have been poorly run over the last two seasons , now we are hoping Pulis can pull us out the mire in any style possible . It's been hard work watching us at times over the last few seasons , winning games would be a step in the right direction.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #880 on: February 11, 2015, 07:00:27 AM »
You start from defense any decent manager knows that.
It was powder poof under Mowbray. You could have had the best keeper in the World in the sticks.But would not have saved us. Where is he now?
TP for all your perceived criticisms. Is and has been a Premiership manager far longer than TM was and will ever be.
It is the accepted British way that you start from defense but I am sure historically world cup winners Brazil would disagree as some of their world cup winning defenses were quite poor in comparison to their rivals. Clichés alert :o the best form of defense is attack and its easier to play on the front foot than the back foot.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #881 on: February 11, 2015, 08:40:16 AM »

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #882 on: February 11, 2015, 08:46:09 AM »
I was pleased to hear him say this yesterday, perhaps we may see a bit more attacking play tonight.

“We’ve become competitive and we look a little better within our shape, now we have to try and win a few games,” Pulis said.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #883 on: February 11, 2015, 12:13:33 PM »
I just read that too, didn't see anything wrong, TP just wants them to move up a couple of knotches that's all.
I got the impression that this was as much about attitude as technique. I think he wants the senior players to pull everything together, so that everyone is buying into the game plan.
Lescott has raised issue with playing LB
Foster has had some stick from fans
Brunt has lost the captaincy
Fletcher is the new broom.
All of the above could have caused discontent, so Pulis has called them together to get their heads up, act professionally and set an example to the younger members of the squad. Historically, this is what he is good at 'If you buy in, you are in, if you don't.....Goodbye', let's hope it pays off.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #884 on: February 11, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »
He wants to be the Welsh national manager before he eventually retires. But at the moment he loves the day to day involvement of a club football.
He's got no chance think Warren Gatland is doing a excellent job for the welsh at the minute!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #885 on: February 11, 2015, 12:33:27 PM »
He's got no chance think Warren Gatland is doing a excellent job for the welsh at the minute!

Did an excellent job on friday night ! Cheers Warren
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #886 on: February 11, 2015, 04:48:01 PM »
It is the accepted British way that you start from defense but I am sure historically world cup winners Brazil would disagree as some of their world cup winning defenses were quite poor in comparison to their rivals. Clichés alert :o the best form of defense is attack and its easier to play on the front foot than the back foot.
Brazil have and had some very good defenders.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/18621/6120873/brazils-greatest-defenders
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #887 on: February 11, 2015, 06:17:27 PM »
Brazil have and had some very good defenders.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/18621/6120873/brazils-greatest-defenders
Never said they had bad defenders but their defense was not as good as their rivals. They did not build a team around defending.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #888 on: February 11, 2015, 06:59:42 PM »
Never said they had bad defenders but their defense was not as good as their rivals. They did not build a team around defending.
They had a balanced side.Something TM never seemed to achieve.
Not sure about this "but their defense was not as good as their rivals." The fact they won so many World Cups says otherwise.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #889 on: February 11, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »
Please don't play Dawson RB again makes Wisdom look world class
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #890 on: February 11, 2015, 09:58:45 PM »
Please don't play Dawson RB again makes Wisdom look world class
Yet we got 3 points......Take it away!

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #891 on: February 11, 2015, 10:00:53 PM »
Yet we got 3 points......Take it away!

I know crazy and they didn't even really create anything from it!
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #892 on: February 11, 2015, 10:12:14 PM »
4 more wins and job done
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #893 on: February 11, 2015, 11:16:01 PM »
OK all you Pulis haters what was hoofball about tonight's victory? Ive just watched Man Utd on Match of the day and they were more YOUR stereotype  Pulis ball  than ever we were tonight.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:18:11 PM by bry »

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #894 on: February 11, 2015, 11:18:31 PM »
Just 2 points behind Everton now.....

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #895 on: February 11, 2015, 11:52:51 PM »
The silence is deafening !!!!!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #896 on: February 11, 2015, 11:53:27 PM »
OK all you Pulis haters what was hoofball about tonight's victory? Ive just watched Man Utd on Match of the day and they were more YOUR stereotype  Pulis ball  than ever we were tonight.

yes, far more entertaining, well done TP.  It is possible to play attractive and effective football
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #897 on: February 11, 2015, 11:57:10 PM »
Errm... 1 point.  :D

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #898 on: February 12, 2015, 12:09:19 AM »

I don't care about United, nor do I hate Pulis or anyone. I am just relieved we saw the football I expected when Pulis came in, in contrast to pure Stoke type Pulisball or another flat Burnley like performance. Finally our players looked to express themselves and looked like they enjoyed themselves on the pitch. Sanity saved, phew!

It looks as if someone at the club reads this board tbh. Finally a bit of movement, speed and creativity going forward built on a solid base in the middle. Today for the first time this season we looked where we should be, a comfortable mid table team rather than relegation fodder.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #899 on: February 12, 2015, 12:34:46 AM »
Errm... 1 point.  :D

Yes you are right.  I was looking at the league table just before Everton conceded !