Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5135163 times)

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #575 on: January 25, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
You could argue that his better signings were the least expensive ones. Generally he wasted an awful lot of money. He won't get such an open cheque book here.

I have no doubt that he will probably leave us in a better position than when he took us over - although our fanbase might be slightly disinterested by then - just like what happened at Stoke - but I hope at that point we're not a squad of average British plodders leaving a real conundrum for his future successor.
That's exactly what's going to happen

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #576 on: January 25, 2015, 11:48:24 PM »
"I would say he is just on to players a bit more. Nobody really gets away with anything now.

"If you're somebody who is willing to work hard, be professional and do it the right way then you'll fit in, and if not you haven't got much of a chance with him."
- Ben Foster on Tony Pulis

Interesting comments. Good read.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/foster-fired-up-by-brutal-regime-30936392.html

Baggie Boy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #577 on: January 25, 2015, 11:49:09 PM »
You could argue that his better signings were the least expensive ones. Generally he wasted an awful lot of money. He won't get such an open cheque book here.

I have no doubt that he will probably leave us in a better position than when he took us over - although our fanbase might be slightly disinterested by then - just like what happened at Stoke - but I hope at that point we're not a squad of average British plodders leaving a real conundrum for his future successor.

I agree with you in that his better signings were his cheaper ones, that being said it doesn't mean his more expensive ones won't work, I believe a 5 mil deal for McManaman is a decent deal. Despite the post which articulates your opinions on playing style at Palace, most Palace fans did not become disinterested, although the time period was shorter I admit.

We should remember that we didn't exactly play fantastic stuff under Megson or Hodgson yet both are fondly remembered. Indeed Hodgson mainly signed 'British plodders'.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #578 on: January 26, 2015, 08:26:58 AM »
"I would say he is just on to players a bit more. Nobody really gets away with anything now.[/i]

"If you're somebody who is willing to work hard, be professional and do it the right way then you'll fit in, and if not you haven't got much of a chance with him."
- Ben Foster on Tony Pulis

Interesting comments. Good read.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/foster-fired-up-by-brutal-regime-30936392.html

The bit in bold for me, is the reason hes a much better manager to have in charge than AI.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #579 on: January 26, 2015, 10:04:11 AM »
So Foster says TP is brutal and nobody gets away with anything now, is he trying to say it was cushy before he came in :)
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #580 on: January 26, 2015, 10:11:09 AM »
So Foster says TP is brutal and nobody gets away with anything now, is he trying to say it was cushy before he came in :)
Does sound a bit like that.
Would also explain exclusions and exits. If they don't knuckle down and shape up they will be shipped out.
Was exactly what we needed IMO, but there is a risk that we may struggle to bring in more flair players as they may not be quite so keen on a 'Brutal' training regime. Some of the best players have been notoriously bad trainers. That being said, I would take a Kevin Phillips over a Berbatov all day.

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #581 on: January 26, 2015, 11:22:32 AM »
Does sound a bit like that.
Would also explain exclusions and exits. If they don't knuckle down and shape up they will be shipped out.
Was exactly what we needed IMO, but there is a risk that we may struggle to bring in more flair players as they may not be quite so keen on a 'Brutal' training regime. Some of the best players have been notoriously bad trainers. That being said, I would take a Kevin Phillips over a Berbatov all day.

we can't afford luxury players. we don't need them either. loved this article. the squad actually being made to do a bit of work for their money. about forking time.

4 games unbeaten...loving that too

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #582 on: January 26, 2015, 11:55:41 AM »
Why does anyone remotely attacking have to be considered a luxury? I'd say match winner is a more appropriate term nd if you want to win games rather than not lose them it might be a good idea to have 1 or 2 knocking about instead of getting rid at them at the earliest opportunity. I'm also fed up of reading 'what so people want us to play like Barcelona on our budget do they?' as if you need £200m and the best academy in Europe to play attacking football. Plenty of teams all over Europe in our position (actually all outside the PL have a fraction of the revenue we have have) play decent football. Good football is a vague term and can be interpreted many ways by different people but you would struggle to find many who would enjoy watching us over the last month.

Some random thoughts

Pulis might keep us up, he might not but of all the available candidates he was the most likely bet to help us survive. I've not seen anyone critise Peace for the appointment and I dont think anyone can, he was the best man for the job the board wanted him to do.

Honestly that's the only positive I can think of, although admittedly a big one and for some people the only one.

However...

The style of football will almost certainly be unwatchable for a lot of people. Who knows what will happen but looking at his time at Stoke people who think he's going to change his ways now are basing it on nothing but hope. The facts suggest we can expect plenty of Dean Whitehead and Grant Leadbitter types arriving over the next few years whilst he is here.

There is very little change of us singing any exciting foreign types as he doesn't trust them. I suspect we will instead see the arrivals of solid Brits in there mid to late 20's and big name players on the way down/finished (Upson, Woodgate, Owen etc)

If your a foreign player with us now you may as well ask you agent to find you a new club. I genuinely don't believe his treatment of Pocognoli is based on anything other than his nationality. Gamboa is never getting to get a look in. Blanco and Varela were 2 of 3 playrs who offered anything different and both were gone effectively the second he came in. I'd genuinely be surprised if Sessegnon was with us next season.

We dont need to play 10-0-1 for the next 3 months to stay up. It's a way, but lets not pretend it's the only way. Teams have stayed up playing some sort of watchable football before.

For those who say he's tied at the moment by what he has, look at the team he left at Stoke after 7 years and lvish spending. He doesnt want anything else. When he arrived he could of easily fielded a side of 
Foster
Gamboa
Dawson
Olsson
Pocognoli
Mulumbu
Yacob
Varela
Blanco/Morrison
Sessegnon
Berahino

He had options, he didnt want them. Were not playing the way we are because we have no choice, it'd because Pulis wants us to

Any promising youth players chances of making the first team squad have likely reduced since Pulis came in. He's a results man (which I cant really blame him for) and wont be looking to promote someone like Nabi when he could just play someone else out of position.

We will almost certainly line up with 4 centre backs as our back line at some point soon. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Olsson or Lescott was our left back for the remainder of the season if he doesn't stick with Baird.

He will demand money every window no matter how much he's already spent (wasted?). Our recruitment policy needing changing but it's still the right policy in my opinion, just the wrong people doing it. Handing him control is a really poor and outdated move (I'm sure it will still be Peaces fault when it doesn't work though)

Palace did not play attacking football. I don't think it was as bad as Stoke from what I saw but it wasn't attacking. The difference is Palace expectations were different to ours so they perceived it differently. When Stoke came up they nearly all loved Pulis. When he left most thanked him for the job but agreed it was time to go. Pulis style and Stokes results barely changed in all that time, but the Stoke fans exceptions did and so did their perceptions on his style. We are much nearer Stoke when he left than Palace when he joined.

It's not his toughest job in football. I really don't think keeping us up is that bigger challenge. We've done it before with much worse sides, in much worse positions with much worse managers. There some utter dross down there and managed correctly I wouldn't put us in the dross category. We have been awful for 2 years, badly managed on and off the pitch and still stayed out of the relegation zone. I actually liked Irvine in a way but he wasn't anywhere near good enough, yet he still kept us out of the bottom 3. I'm sure people will say we were only heading 1 way but so are all the other teams down there and we cant all go down.

In short,

Will he keep us up? Yes
Will it be enjoyable? No

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #583 on: January 26, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »
Pretty much spot on with my thoughts.

Don't understand why we can't be solid without the ball but actually have some creativity and poise when we have it.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #584 on: January 26, 2015, 12:18:06 PM »
What our problem has been is that we have had no semblance of style or direction ever since Hodgson left. We've been a totally mis-match and our recruitment has reflected that often signing players who are polar opposites. With Pulis, we know what we're going to get but despite the deficiencies in this squad they are far more capable of getting points rather than resorting to some out-dated, ancient methods of throwing 11 men behind the ball and offering nothing in any attacking sense as we saw recently at Goodison.

Completely agree with this.  No one has managed recruitment with a team (on the pitch) in mind.  That's how we end up with a team with no pace, only 1 good free-kick taker in the squad and insufficient tall players to defend corners/set pieces.

I don't want to end up with a 'British' only squad and mentality, but I'm happy with the spine of the team having that understanding of the PL.

Would like to see more expansive football, but at the moment its got to be results first approach.  If we survive, then I want to see us move on from such a rigid approach.

How many times did Pulis's teams come to the Hawthorns win and keep a clean sheet.  Almost always (in my recollection at least) in his Stoke and Palace days.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #585 on: January 26, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »
Whilst I agree with some of the above points, I dont agree with the british comment, and not playing Poco because hes not british/Sess being moved on because hes not british.

I had a look at the regular Palace team picked by him last season:

01 Speroni
03 Mariappa
02 Ward
08 Dikgacoi 
06 Dann
27 Delaney
13 Puncheon
15 Jedinak 29 Chamakh
28 Ledley
07 Bolasie

Ive higlighted the non british players in the line up, thats half the team, that to me suggests he does play foreign players, but only if he deems them good enough.

You cant accuse him of shipping Varela and Blanco out because of nationality, none of us on here know if Blanco is any good, im guessing 90% of us fans didnt even know who he was when he was signed, but the element of him being unknown, and reading a bit about him being creative, got everyones hopes up, but he might genuinly not be good enough.

Samaras is another player, hes only got a couple years left in him, we have read before Celtic fans saying hes a big game player, and at times doesnt look interested, if he didnt look interested in training, then TP wont be interested in him. (See Fosters recent comments about commitment).

I just find it very confusing how, alot of fans on here wanted a change in policies, wanted a 'manager', wanted someone like TP to come in and take no rubbish, but now we have that, some people are questioning the football and the players we are being linked with.

Football regardless of what anyone says, is a results business, and since Pulis has been in charge, we are unbeaten.

Thats good enough for me.

skalbaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #586 on: January 26, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Agree with the nationality thing. If I remember correctly then Pulis was a bit criticized for not playing Barry Bannan, Dwight Gayle and Jonny Williams. Those are all british players.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #587 on: January 26, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »
For me it's not nationality with Pulis , it's more physical strength ...i well remember Fuller taking us apart!.
Loved TP's comments about Anichebe's fitness .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #588 on: January 26, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
Just to pick up on some of Astle1968's points without quoting the whole lot of it again.

Firstly, he mentions that there is a lot of dross down there and not all of them can go down. Fair enough you might think but Burnley,Leicester,QPR,Hull and Crystal Palace are hardly established Premier League clubs are they. You would EXPECT them to struggle. I would have thought after a comparatively long time now in this division, we could expect ourselves to be bedded in and comfortable with the league or at least show signs of steady progression and improvement. This hasn't been the case. We have drifted,even gone backwards and I firmly believe we were heading for the drop. Mowbray tried to play attacking football in the Championship but we soon found that didn't work with the players we had in the Premier League. Teams were happy for us to keep possession amongst the back four and in the middle of the park, knowing we couldn't penetrate well organised defences.

Secondly, I would argue that winning football matches is very enjoyable. I for one would sooner be watching a side picking up points and progressing in the cup than one where I knew we were likely to get beat before the ref blew for kick off.

Nothing else has worked has it in terms of recruiting attack minded 'creative' players over the years? Like I said in the first paragraph, if we had been steadily improving and progressing year on year, I could understand people's scepticism with TP's style but we haven't. We've been going backwards for the last 2 years with players that just have 'Championship level' written all over them.

If all Pulis actually does is to get a winning mentality at the club and improved attitudes and commitment from players then it will be good enough for me. So what if he prefers to buy British players? Good for him I say. It's a shame every single manage in the country doesn't feel the same way. England might actually have a chance of winning a tournament at some point in the future if English clubs stopped this nonsense of bringing second rate/average foreign players in. On top of that we would see increased levels of passion and effort which is what fans of any club want to see from their players. It costs a bloody lot of money now to watch some johnny foreigner strolling around the field without actually giving a monkey's for the club he is supposedly representing. Our scouting structure has Director of scouting for Europe, head of scouting in Outer Mongolia, assistant chief scout for the Moon and Mars, etc. What's wrong with a bloke going out to the local dog pooh ridden park on a Sunday with a flask of tea and a notepad? Where do you think Man Utd found Beckham,Giggs, Scholes, Butt, the Neville brothers, etc? It wasn't from a jumped up Head of Scouting watching video's from Timbuktoo was it? I bet if we actually bothered, we could find a squad of 30 young players from the West Midlands who given the right coaching and nurturing would eventually be good enough to play at this level.

Pulis with his methods and attitude to the game is absolutely spot on in my opinion. OK, so he doesn't sit comfortably in this trendy modern world of foreign coaches,owners,etc, but why on earth in God's name would we want that? Back to basics is the way forward in every sense. When Sky pull the plug which they almost certainly will do with all this live streaming now available, you watch who the better off clubs will be then.

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #589 on: January 26, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »
Agree with the nationality thing. If I remember correctly then Pulis was a bit criticized for not playing Barry Bannan, Dwight Gayle and Jonny Williams. Those are all british players.

Have a look at the squad he left at Stoke as better idea of what his teams are like when he makes his mark on them. 5 non Brits (counting Ireland as British for the sake of this argument) who made more than 10 appearances in the season and 3 of those came through 'British' systems in Begovic, Huth and Jones who had never played outside of England, you could just as easily call them British in a football sense.

Of the other 2 one had been playing in the PL for 3 years (N'Zonzi) and the other (Cameron came the States and and English speaking country)

Of all the players in that squad who played over 5 games only Cameron wasn't signed from a British side (and he came from an English speaking country). That's a remarkable stat in todays game

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #590 on: January 26, 2015, 12:58:53 PM »
Have a look at the squad he left at Stoke as better idea of what his teams are like when he makes his mark on them. 5 non Brits (counting Ireland as British for the sake of this argument) who made more than 10 appearances in the season and 3 of those came through 'British' systems in Begovic, Huth and Jones who had never played outside of England, you could just as easily call them British in a football sense.

Of the other 2 one had been playing in the PL for 3 years (N'Zonzi) and the other (Cameron came the States and and English speaking country)

Of all the players in that squad who played over 5 games only Cameron wasn't signed from a British side (and he came from an English speaking country). That's a remarkable stat in todays game

And yet that team came to the Hawthorns every year and picked up 3 points off us.

I couldnt give a monkeys were the players are from as long as they go on that point and do everything they can to try and do the best they can for WBA.

If they are from Swindon or South Africa I couldnt care less, all I want is the best for WBA.

Its a results business and regardless of what people think about Pulis tactis, he knows how to get results.

Ill take 1-0 wins with no flair and a solid performance, over losing 2-0 but we played some good stuff, every day of the week.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: January 26, 2015, 01:03:57 PM »

Weren't we very similar under Hodgson? Look at the mainstay of his side. Predominately British and even most of the foreign ones had been playing in England for some time prior.

Foster
Jones
Shorey
Ridgewell
McAuley
Thomas
Dorrans
Brunt
Morrison
Andrews
Long
Cox

Gera
Scharner
Olsson
Mulumbu
Odemwingie
Fortune

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #592 on: January 26, 2015, 01:07:03 PM »
Ill take 1-0 wins with no flair and a solid performance, over losing 2-0 but we played some good stuff, every day of the week.
Other results, and ways of achieving them, are possible.....

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #593 on: January 26, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »
Andrews Long Cox

Oh how we laughed back then !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #594 on: January 26, 2015, 01:14:42 PM »
Just to pick up on some of Astle1968's points without quoting the whole lot of it again.

Firstly, he mentions that there is a lot of dross down there and not all of them can go down. Fair enough you might think but Burnley,Leicester,QPR,Hull and Crystal Palace are hardly established Premier League clubs are they. You would EXPECT them to struggle. I would have thought after a comparatively long time now in this division, we could expect ourselves to be bedded in and comfortable with the league or at least show signs of steady progression and improvement. This hasn't been the case. We have drifted,even gone backwards and I firmly believe we were heading for the drop. Mowbray tried to play attacking football in the Championship but we soon found that didn't work with the players we had in the Premier League. Teams were happy for us to keep possession amongst the back four and in the middle of the park, knowing we couldn't penetrate well organised defences.

Secondly, I would argue that winning football matches is very enjoyable. I for one would sooner be watching a side picking up points and progressing in the cup than one where I knew we were likely to get beat before the ref blew for kick off.

Nothing else has worked has it in terms of recruiting attack minded 'creative' players over the years? Like I said in the first paragraph, if we had been steadily improving and progressing year on year, I could understand people's scepticism with TP's style but we haven't. We've been going backwards for the last 2 years with players that just have 'Championship level' written all over them.

If all Pulis actually does is to get a winning mentality at the club and improved attitudes and commitment from players then it will be good enough for me. So what if he prefers to buy British players? Good for him I say. It's a shame every single manage in the country doesn't feel the same way. England might actually have a chance of winning a tournament at some point in the future if English clubs stopped this nonsense of bringing second rate/average foreign players in. On top of that we would see increased levels of passion and effort which is what fans of any club want to see from their players. It costs a bloody lot of money now to watch some johnny foreigner strolling around the field without actually giving a monkey's for the club he is supposedly representing. Our scouting structure has Director of scouting for Europe, head of scouting in Outer Mongolia, assistant chief scout for the Moon and Mars, etc. What's wrong with a bloke going out to the local dog pooh ridden park on a Sunday with a flask of tea and a notepad? Where do you think Man Utd found Beckham,Giggs, Scholes, Butt, the Neville brothers, etc? It wasn't from a jumped up Head of Scouting watching video's from Timbuktoo was it? I bet if we actually bothered, we could find a squad of 30 young players from the West Midlands who given the right coaching and nurturing would eventually be good enough to play at this level.

Pulis with his methods and attitude to the game is absolutely spot on in my opinion. OK, so he doesn't sit comfortably in this trendy modern world of foreign coaches,owners,etc, but why on earth in God's name would we want that? Back to basics is the way forward in every sense. When Sky pull the plug which they almost certainly will do with all this live streaming now available, you watch who the better off clubs will be then.

OK

'Firstly, he mentions that there is a lot of dross down there and not all of them can go down. Fair enough you might think but Burnley,Leicester,QPR,Hull and Crystal Palace are hardly established Premier League clubs are they'

That's no the point I made though, my point was made that it was hardly a certainty that we were going down even if AI were left in charge, let alone if someone half decent was appointed.

Mowbray tried to play attacking football in the Championship but we soon found that didn't work with the players we had in the Premier League. Teams were happy for us to keep possession amongst the back four and in the middle of the park, knowing we couldn't penetrate well organised defences.

So the only possible way we can stay up is by going 'all out defence' and the only type of attacking football we could possibly play is to copy what Mowbray did?

So what if he prefers to buy British players? Good for him I say. It's a shame every single manage in the country doesn't feel the same way. England might actually have a chance of winning a tournament at some point in the future if English clubs stopped this nonsense of bringing second rate/average foreign players in. On top of that we would see increased levels of passion and effort which is what fans of any club want to see from their players. It costs a bloody lot of money now to watch some johnny foreigner strolling around the field without actually giving a monkey's for the club he is supposedly representing. Our scouting structure has Director of scouting for Europe, head of scouting in Outer Mongolia, assistant chief scout for the Moon and Mars, etc. What's wrong with a bloke going out to the local dog pooh ridden park on a Sunday with a flask of tea and a notepad? Where do you think Man Utd found Beckham,Giggs, Scholes, Butt, the Neville brothers, etc? It wasn't from a jumped up Head of Scouting watching video's from Timbuktoo was it? I bet if we actually bothered, we could find a squad of 30 young players from the West Midlands who given the right coaching and nurturing would eventually be good enough to play at this level.

Don't really know where to start with that. It's a different conversation but for me there's so much in their which is exactly why England are so sh*t. This small minded mentality that everything British is best and suspicious of 'johnny foreigners' as you put it. British = try hard and foreign = fancy dan and a luxory. Send Pulis your CV you'd probably fit in well with his structure. How well do you think England would do if they played against players Like Mark Noble and Craig Gardner every week in big games. Or maybe playing against and training with players like Hazard, Silva, Di Maria, Aguero each week makes them better players as a result.

It's a global game and if we restrict ourselves to the UK only market (or 30 miles of West Bromwich if we could actually be bothered to do any work as you hilariously put it) then we are missing out on numerous top players who if they were British and the same level of ability would cost 5 times as much.

If all Pulis actually does is to get a winning mentality

Pulis doesn't have a winning mentality. He has a dont lose mentality. He's played 3 league games and won 1 (due to a stupid piece of Hull defending and a deflected free kick). We've scored 2 goals in 3 games. In those 3 games we have had 6 shots on target (and it's not like we were playing Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal in those games)

Pulis is not, and never has been a winner. He's a scrapper, a fighter and hard working, all admirable traits, but his mentality is to not lose. he would happily take 38 0-0's and survival at the start of each season. Happy to be proved wrong but to my knowledge he has never won a trophy in 20+ years of management. He simply isn't a winner

If people are happy to take what Pulis serves us as long as it keeps us up then they are more than entitled to. It's not something I agree with but it's something I can understand. However can we stop kidding ourselves about what Pulis is going to bring to the club, and that it's the only option he has.

Personally I go to football to enjoy it, not to win. It just happens that 99% of the time winning is something very enjoyable that makes me happy and as a result I like winning. If we're contesting our 20th 0-0 of the season with Wycombe in league 2 I'll still have the exact same feeling towards the club as I do now, so results are not the be all and end all for me. Naturally I hope we win more than we lose but does anyone really care that much in the scheme of things if we finish 16th or 11th? So if not lets at least try and make it slightly entertaining in the process.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #595 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:13 PM »
for the record i'm totally in agreement with this.

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #596 on: January 26, 2015, 01:33:14 PM »
Got to say, I think the one criticism of Pulis that is harsh is that he doesn't bring through young players.

Was there really anyone from the Stoke academy who was knocking the doors down? Like the Stoke fans who came on here said, about the best young player they produced is Ryan Shotton who is now second choice at a Championship side. Andy Wilkinson is another youth product, and he's an incredibly average footballer.

He picked up Shawcross as a young player from Man United and gave him the captaincy at a young age, and he's developed into a solid Premier League centre half. Got Marc Wilson from Pompey at a young age and again gave him plenty of game time, turned him into a decent Premier League player.Hardly someone who doesn't trust young players?

He was at Palace for 6 months, so think it's totally unrealistic to expect him to bring through a series of young players, especially with the predicament they found themselves in.

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #597 on: January 26, 2015, 01:37:32 PM »
I agree with this to an extenrt. Similar to how we always critised managers for not bringing through young players and then none of managed even decent Championship careers after they left us.

Saying that, if he has the option of bringing through Nabi by playing him wide of a forward 3, or pushing Craig Gardner out to RW I'm pretty confident of guessing his action now. He just doesn't strike me as someone who has any interest in nurturing and developing young talent when he could sign a Shola Ameobi instead.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #598 on: January 26, 2015, 02:54:19 PM »
Some interesting Premier League long ball statistics for this season linked below.

http://tinyurl.com/l5krqx3
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #599 on: January 26, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »
Some interesting Premier League long ball statistics for this season linked below.

http://tinyurl.com/l5krqx3
It's no coincidence that with the exception of Manchester United, the teams who play long ball are the teams at the bottom of the table.