Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5134932 times)

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #375 on: January 17, 2015, 02:46:05 PM »
What's the point of any of this negativity? The man has been given a 2 and half year contract . He has a really difficult job to do which he has hinted at . GET BEHIND THE BLOKE if you call herself supporters .
[/quote

Could not have put it better but I think "herself" should be replaced by "yourselves" :D

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #376 on: January 17, 2015, 02:49:27 PM »
Not sure why we think there is negativity around - misgivings long term yes as with any new manager - but most people have been reenergised by the changes and are looking forward to games much more than any time in the last two years.
Let's try and enjoy the ride !
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

AlbionDaz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »
I doubt we'll see too many youth break throughs but at the same time he doesn't seem completely averse to them, Shotton made 23 appearances in 2 consecutive seasons in the premier and he's not even particularly good. Mind you, Adil Nabi aside we don't seem to have anyone who's going to be knocking on the first team door within the next 3 seasons either.

You never know Dan,there only young and can go either way in there development,hardest part for us is hanging onto them if one does break though.
Also I think Andy Wilkinson came through there Academy too,not 100% though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:41:24 PM by AlbionDaz »

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #378 on: January 20, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »
Great to watch during an interview and on the touchline, love his passion
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #379 on: January 20, 2015, 12:32:22 PM »
Did anyone else pick up on TP saying something like, (paraphrased) "the coaches work on the skills, while I work on the shape and in match tactics". Seemed a bit strange to me.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #380 on: January 20, 2015, 12:43:25 PM »
You could hear him shouting to the players on the TV...... long time since we have had that from the touchline!
MAGA!

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #381 on: January 20, 2015, 01:12:14 PM »
the most telling of his comments for me after the game were

the players are working hard but i don't think they're used to working this hard

bye bye easy street boys

AshD

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #382 on: January 20, 2015, 01:21:27 PM »
Did anyone else pick up on TP saying something like, (paraphrased) "the coaches work on the skills, while I work on the shape and in match tactics". Seemed a bit strange to me.

What is strange about it???

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #383 on: January 20, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »
What is strange about it???

I would have thought that the 2 go hand in hand, especially in the early days when you are trying to instill a style of play surely you would need to know who has the requisite skills to implement the plans? My cynical head thought maybe he was distancing himself from the lack of skills in the squad
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #384 on: January 20, 2015, 06:48:09 PM »
Apart from Palace a Tony Pulis team havent finished above the Albion, is this correct?

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #385 on: January 20, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
Apart from Palace a Tony Pulis team havent finished above the Albion, is this correct?

Stoke finished above Albion in the Premier League when we had Mowbray.
the regime don't like it man

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #386 on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:51 PM »
Stoke finished above Albion in the Premier League when we had Mowbray.

yes indeed

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #387 on: January 20, 2015, 07:01:44 PM »
Can't believe the cobblars being spoken about Pulis and last nights game on radio WM. Whats entertaining about losing? "The Albion way" whats that ? Losing by rolling over and having our tummy's tickled?
The reason why Pulis set up that way is the players aren’t good enough to play any other way to get a result.
The players abilities dictated the way Pulis had to set them up to get a result.
He will play a  "better way” if we could get  players. E.G Ba, Lambert, Fletcher, McManaman, etc
Better players better style of play its very simple. We can’t afford these aesthetic morals on the money we spend. That's the preserve of the big clubs. Maybe if Pulis gets us to the point where we are a stable mid table club then lets talk about playing attractive football maybe the way Southampton way. But not now lets walk before we can run. Ask Wigan fans under Martinez playing attractive football if they would swop with us now?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #388 on: January 20, 2015, 09:34:36 PM »
A few fans need to get over themselves - 'the Albion Way', what a load of rubbish. I clearly remember Woking and the 80s/ 90s 'wilderness years' which is when I began watching Albion. I know this has been done on another thread but in 100 years we've probably played wonderful football for 10 years max (10% of the time). 

In simple terms, you build a team from the back (a la Roy), then you add some flair and attacking intent (first few months of Clarke), then you have a team which is entertaining. This doesn't last for us because we'll either have richer clubs poaching our best players (Robson/ Cunningham) or naturally teams run out of steam.
Either way, you have to win games to be able to build a team/ attract better players. We seriously need to look at ourselves if we're complaining about winning games whilst we're rebuilding which is what we're currently doing or have I missed something?

The difference with Pulis compared to Clarke, Mel and Irvine is I trust him to build a team which wins games. I didn't enjoy watching Mowbray's premier league Albion team, boring, slow, sideways, possession football without a cutting edge.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #389 on: January 20, 2015, 09:40:07 PM »
"The difference with Pulis compared to Clarke, Mel and Irvine is I trust him to build a team which wins games. I didn't enjoy watching Mowbray's premier league Albion team, boring, slow, sideways, possession football with a cutting edge."

But at least other managers congratulated him on his "Fast flowing bull" After turning us over.

Personally I like a realist in charge who can do the business of keeping us up and strengthening the team so other hate coming here!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #390 on: January 20, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
Those who are moaning are living on a different planet.

Build a solid defence and build from there.

Solid and collecting more points. Or half soaked and losing every bloody week? I know which I prefer, and I'm excited to see what Pulis can do long term.

Survive this year, then build.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #391 on: January 20, 2015, 10:34:23 PM »
To those labelling TP's tactics as a disgrace...

Remember the Mowbray PL season? He actually said he'd be happy to be relegated as long as we played nice football. THAT was a disgrace.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #392 on: January 20, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
To those labelling TP's tactics as a disgrace...

Remember the Mowbray PL season? He actually said he'd be happy to be relegated as long as we played nice football. THAT was a disgrace.
Some of our 'fans' have said that as well. :o
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #393 on: January 20, 2015, 10:49:01 PM »
Some of our 'fans' have said that as well. :o

With the proviso that the club remains solvent,

I would rather see good, attractive, attacking football in the chumps than boring, negative survival at all cost, "football" in the greed league.

I am NOT ashamed or embarrassed to state that.
Albion Family !!!

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #394 on: January 20, 2015, 10:53:13 PM »
With the proviso that the club remains solvent,

I would rather see good, attractive, attacking football in the chumps than boring, negative survival at all cost, "football" in the greed league.

I am NOT ashamed or embarrassed to state that.
Prob is it is risky. Just Glad you are not in charge!!
 8)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #395 on: January 20, 2015, 10:54:18 PM »
Think it's a case of wait and see with Pulis. I also want to enjoy watching our team play some good football but I think Pulis can be forgiven for taking a short term 'we have to do whatever it takes to stay in the league this year' view.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #396 on: January 20, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
 >:(
Prob is it is risky. Just Glad you are not in charge!!
 8)

Quite right too, in JP we trust !

i have to accept its business now, doesn't mean i have to like it !
Albion Family !!!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #397 on: January 20, 2015, 10:56:56 PM »
the most telling of his comments for me after the game were

the players are working hard but i don't think they're used to working this hard

bye bye easy street boys

Spot on too...
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #398 on: January 20, 2015, 11:13:37 PM »
>:(
Quite right too, in JP we trust !

i have to accept its business now, doesn't mean i have to like it !

I know I know. But this ain't the 68's or the 80's But I do understand what you mean.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #399 on: January 21, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »
Is it my imagination or are the press ascribing Albion's activities and movements in the transfer market quite clearly to Pulis now rather than the club?

It seems to me that previously we might for example have read a headline saying "Albion end Varela loan" whereas today (in the "i") it says "Pulis ends Varela loan" and I am sure that I have seen other examples too talking about "Pulis wants...(this player or that player)".

All signalling a very clear shift in messaging at least about the power structure within the club.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.