Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5165202 times)

GrGr

• WBA Coach

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2015, 02:18:34 AM »
Is there a book being taken ?when the 1st post will be posted about our style of Football under Pulis . Can see it now " This football is boring under Pulis"  Only jesting COYB

We have had sh*t football for 2 years and risk relegation as a result of bad management. Time for someone competent to sort out the rot so we can move forward at last. Sherwood, who was the alternative, would have been yet another unproven gamble at best, the previous three gambles having worked out less than ideally to put it diplomatically.

I have always maintained that Albion needs to play good, high tempo attacking football but that has to be built on a basis of competency. TP at the very least is a competent Premier League manager. Once he has sorted us out THEN I will start to look how the club is progressing. But first is to stop the rot that started under Clarke (even Hodgson possibly) and has gripped the club ever since. 

To be extremely frank, I am tired of having idiots in charge who make obvious and stupid mistakes time and time again. Even when Pulis was at Stoke he always knew exactly the game plan our coaches would come up with and had no trouble negating them. I hated Pulis's Stoke "football" but at least he is intelligent and Palace showed that he is not a one trick hoof pony only. Pulis will get the job done short term and hopefully lay the foundation for a positive progress for our club.

Cornwallbaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2015, 03:57:08 AM »
Hopefully we'll also have a better transfer policy now. I remember a few weeks ago when TP was a stand-in pundit on Sky's Soccer Saturday. He was totally incredulous that Albion would spend 10m on a player (Ideye) who they'd only seen on a dvd. He implied he wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole.

Any future signings (and departures) will be well researched, priority-focused and pragmatic.

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2015, 07:36:55 AM »
Well personally I am very, very happy with this appointment.

I've just been watching the interviews and the press conference with him and one thing that stands out for me is his total focus on winning matches. He is very clear what he wants. I think recently we have suffered from being a bit wishy-washy in our outlook both on and off the pitch and focus is something we really need.

Also nice to see him not trotting out the usual platitudes, he seems very much his own man. I am now feeling a lot more confident than I have at any point since Roy left, I am actually looking forward to matches now!

Really wish I didn't have to work today so I could be there to get behind the lads and Tony, things are looking up Baggies long may it continue!
Astle is the King

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #228 on: January 03, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »
Just heard Kemp on talk sport.

He said their main aim this season is to stay up and moving forward to compete in the premier league and hopefully win some trophies. He specifically mentioned the FA Cup which was nice to hear.

They asked him if Berahino would be an Albion player at the end of the window and he didn't really answer the question and would guess by the way he avoided the question that there is potential that he is leaving this window.

He also said they're hopeful of adding to the squad this window as well.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #229 on: January 03, 2015, 09:26:57 AM »
There's a decent article in the Birmingham Mail, suggesting he wants to bring a couple of players in. Getting a good wad for Saido would certainly help to fund that.
Apart from getting them off the wages bill, I can't see many others that a) clubs would want & b) would want to pay a lot of money for.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2015, 10:55:35 AM »
Tony Pulis has been in post for only a couple of days and he has already done more straight talking and made more pertinent and realistic comments than we have heard from a head coach in the past two years.

I have confidence from hearing him and his track record that he will get this club turned around.  I am not so confident that he has enough time to avoid relegation but we do know he will give it a damn good try.  If we do go down then I can think of no one better to get us back up.

I expect also to see him cull a lot of the dead wood, possibly in January (if anyone will buy the buggers) but certainly at the end of the season, wherever we are.

A couple of months I posted that I had become indifferent and disinterested with the Albion.  The appointment of TP has reinvigorated me!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2015, 11:19:59 AM »
Appointing Tony Pulis has many similarities of when we appointed Ron Atkinson first time round (1978). After about 18 successful  months in charge, John Giles shocked everyone by announcing he was leaving, Ronnie Allen took over and then decided after 6 months he was leaving for pastures green, the club was in a spin and unstable and fans were depressed.

Enter stage left "Big Ron", and he made the place rock, he raised the profile of West Bromwich Albion like never before, we were always featured on the back pages of daily and local papers being linked with this player, that player and of course our "Champaign Style of Football", which all gave the club and supporters belief and momentum and, as they say, the rest is history and probable the best it has ever has been.

Now I'm not saying TP will reach the heights of the late 70's early 80's, although I hope he does, but he is a character he is enthusiastic, determined, a motivator and nothing sells or rubs off more than enthusiasm. There's a lot more required as well, but in TP I believe we have the right man for the job.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »
I've been against his appointment but of course I will back him, and so far I think he has spoken very well. He made a slightly cryptic comment in the presser about knowing whats happened in the last year or two and relating that to transfers - so who knows but maybe he already has a clear idea where the trouble makers are and has plans to move them on.

I imagine that within football, the rumours are fairly rife and I bet that the players reaction to Clarke, Mel and Irvine are well known within the business.

Wouldn't surprise me if there were a few shocks in terms of departures - not because of the quality of the player but because of their behaviour and influence within the team. 

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2015, 11:55:27 AM »
Pleased to see that TP consulted Roy Hodgson, Dan Ashworth, Gary Megson, and even AI about the club.
Very pleased to hear that his good friend Gary Megson, called Albion "a wonderful club".
Class is permanent.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2015, 05:46:47 PM »
His biggest ever win as a head coach /manager. But should Downing get the credit lol
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #235 on: January 03, 2015, 05:51:26 PM »
His biggest ever win as a head coach /manager. But should Downing get the credit lol
LOL! Not after "Going Downstairs" after 30 mins or so!! :o
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #236 on: January 03, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »
Give Downing credit for holding Gateshead for the first 30 minutes until Pulis took over.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #237 on: January 03, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »
Downing and Kiely are GOING, you mark my words!

No I am not ITK, but I did just have a cup of tea and swished the old leaves around.... about as on the money as today's pundits were....  ;)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #238 on: January 03, 2015, 07:35:33 PM »
All the 2nd half he kept SHOUTING for our player to take their players on & get into the box & move the ball, here's to seeing the team following these instuctions.On wards & upwards lads.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »
Great to see Pulis so animated on the touchline today. Reminded me alot of Gary Megson and I certainly have not seen any Manager/Head Coach act like that since Lord Megson.

Nice to hear Megson has been singing our praises to TP even though he left under a cloud and wasn't invited to the ten year bash.

Maybe Megson is after a coaching job?  ;)

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #240 on: January 03, 2015, 07:54:47 PM »
I could hear TP shouting over the top of the fans and I was halfway up the SME. Great to see, he put the fear of god into me lol, just what we need.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #241 on: January 04, 2015, 12:02:56 AM »
Great to see Pulis so animated on the touchline today. Reminded me alot of Gary Megson and I certainly have not seen any Manager/Head Coach act like that since Lord Megson.

Nice to hear Megson has been singing our praises to TP even though he left under a cloud and wasn't invited to the ten year bash.

Maybe Megson is after a coaching job?  ;)
[/b]

We could do a lot worse!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #242 on: January 04, 2015, 02:03:21 AM »
Give Downing credit for holding Gateshead for the first 30 minutes until Pulis took over.

Lol.  :D

/just holding them. Oster should've scored.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #243 on: January 04, 2015, 09:42:37 AM »
I know its only Gatshead but I already feel so much more optimistic and confident about the rest of the season. One thing I noticed was that the players weren't pressing the ball enough in the first forty minutes. Throughout the second half non stop pressing from us not seen Brunt sprinting that much in an awful long time.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #244 on: January 04, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »
I was hearing a few of his former players talking about him a few days ago on the TV and they say he makes you want to play for him and each other.

Ive read elsewhere that hes tightening down on the injuries and those players injured must report 4-5 times a day for treatment and also fines will be dished out for muscle pulls (I would imagine slight ones).

Hes certainly going to make sure no one is swinging the lead.

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #245 on: January 04, 2015, 10:50:15 AM »
Forget the opposition but how nice was it to see a manager change the game

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #246 on: January 04, 2015, 10:59:54 AM »
Forget the opposition but how nice was it to see a manager change the game

He's not prepared to sit and wait for things to happen - he sees it isn't right and blooming well fixes it.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #247 on: January 04, 2015, 11:11:27 AM »
I was hearing a few of his former players talking about him a few days ago on the TV and they say he makes you want to play for him and each other.

Ive read elsewhere that hes tightening down on the injuries and those players injured must report 4-5 times a day for treatment and also fines will be dished out for muscle pulls (I would imagine slight ones).

Hes certainly going to make sure no one is swinging the lead.

We might some of big vics wages back then if there are going to be fines for silly injuries
O Albion we love you

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #248 on: January 04, 2015, 12:09:50 PM »
He has got a week to look at our players.
Sort out our strengths and instil his method of playing.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #249 on: January 04, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »
During the game yesterday he kept calling Sess to go wide right and get the ball to him "quicker" and when he received the ball, it was "take him on! take him on!" "go on!" "Push up!"

It was also interesting to note that he kept calling Berahino in the first half but Saido didn't once look over. That changed in the second half after the hair dryer treatment in the changing room fur HT.

I think we're likely to see a lot of Mozza, Varela, McAuley and Dawson. After all their running and tackles he was applauding them and encouraging them. Great management.