Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5134829 times)

Legend

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »
I enjoyed listening to his interviews, Pulis is a leader who will demand respect. Happy with the news that we will play a strong side against Gateshead.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:33:21 PM by Legend »
the regime don't like it man

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
Having watched his interviews it' strikes me what a Colossal mistake Palace have made letting him go. Hopeful he will stay for a number of years and build a legacy wher we are the no. 1 side in the midlands

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2015, 05:40:58 PM »
Anyone else think the fact he wasn't able to join anyone until Jan 1st mean we've planned this quite some way in advance? Just seems a little too convenient?

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we had planned this coup all along. Back to the days of sounding out a potential replacement early on?

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #178 on: January 02, 2015, 05:42:39 PM »
At about 6.18 in the interview just posted on twitter - quote 'supporters come to see their team win!' what more is there to be said!
edit - shows a great sense of humour at the end!
needless to say I'm pleased Tony Pulis is manager of WBA at this time!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:51:43 PM by elmo_in_spain »
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

BRIAN

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2015, 05:49:39 PM »
My award goes to "labaggies" who made my forecast right.He is the first to have a go at the new man.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »
I am not a hypocrite, and I won't change the opinion I have held about Pullis.

I remember the abuse he has been rightly given over the years, for me he is not welcome, at The Hawthorns.

We are in a desperate situation, and maybe that's why so many of you have such short memories, and are prepared to sell your soul...

I agree with you 100%, I've slagged him & his teams off for the time wasting/cheating/bully boy/anti football tactics they've employed to beat us, so I'm not going to change my opinion (like many have) on him just because he's now our head coach, HOWEVER, like Alan Irvine before him I will give Pulis my full backing for 90 minutes each week while he holds that esteemed title.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2015, 06:08:32 PM »
Anyone else think the fact he wasn't able to join anyone until Jan 1st mean we've planned this quite some way in advance? Just seems a little too convenient?

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we had planned this coup all along. Back to the days of sounding out a potential replacement early on?

Was thinking exactly the same myself, maybe a case of JP thinking get a patsy in for a few months & the fans will be desperate for someone like Pulis, (I do love a conspiracy theory)     

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2015, 06:11:12 PM »
In Pulis we have probably found our best chance of Premier League survival.  I also suspect he potentially offers out greatest opportunity of promotion next season should he be unsuccessful in this. I certainly hope he achieves this without resorting to the one dimensional football he employed at Stoke. Only time will tell.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #183 on: January 02, 2015, 06:36:17 PM »
Was thinking exactly the same myself, maybe a case of JP thinking get a patsy in for a few months & the fans will be desperate for someone like Pulis, (I do love a conspiracy theory)   

Irvine was appointed before Pulis resigned. This must be seen as a massive coup for the fortune telling department.

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2015, 06:40:54 PM »
Irvine was appointed before Pulis resigned. This must be seen as a massive coup for the fortune telling department.

We've got a fortune telling department? thats what you call covering all base's.

charliewestbrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2015, 06:55:31 PM »
I am not a hypocrite, and I won't change the opinion I have held about Pullis.

I remember the abuse he has been rightly given over the years, for me he is not welcome, at The Hawthorns.

We are in a desperate situation, and maybe that's why so many of you have such short memories, and are prepared to sell your soul...

I'm with you, I am saddened by this appointment.

Although I want the club to be in the Premier League and continue to improve the squad and the club, I think the owner and directors almost deserve for the club to be relegated, in appointing their own man in the summer but not giving in him the time, and then giving Pulis, whose style of football and characters in his squad and attitude at Stoke always seemed like the antithesis of our team, a fat contract and the autonomy never afforded to his predecessors.

All Peace is doing is protecting his asset, ensuring it stays in the Premier League, the TV money keeps rolling in, his salary keeps rising and he makes a tidy sum when he finally decides to sell up.

The directors made mistakes in the summer, whether it was appointing Irvine or their scatter gun transfer policy (possibly both), which many fans pointed out, now they try to cover these mistakes by appointing Pulis, who in most circumstances would be oppugnant to fans, but now he's welcomed and the directors are praised for their effectiveness.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:03:15 PM by charliewestbrom »

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2015, 07:00:41 PM »
Another one with this anti-football diatribe i keep seeing.

we have seen anti-football under Irvine believe me what Pulis will bring will be a million miles from what we have endured this season so far
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

charliewestbrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »
Another one with this anti-football diatribe i keep seeing.

we have seen anti-football under Irvine believe me what Pulis will bring will be a million miles from what we have endured this season so far

Fair enough on that count re: Irvine but as many fans will attest too when they think back, Pulis's Stoke boarded on anti-football and pushed some of the boundaries of sportsmanship.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2015, 07:09:23 PM »

Although I want the club to be in the Premier League and continue to improve the squad and the club, I think the owner and directors almost deserve for the club to be relegated, in appointing their own man in the summer but not giving in him the time, and then giving Pulis, whose style of football and characters in his squad and attitude at Stoke always seemed like the antithesis of our team, a fat contract and the autonomy never afforded to his predecessors.

All Peace is doing is protecting his asset, ensuring it stays in the Premier League, the TV money keeps rolling in, his salary keeps rising and he makes a tidy sum when he finally decides to sell up.

The directors made mistakes in the summer, whether it was appointing Irvine or their scatter gun transfer policy (possibly both), which many fans pointed out, now they try to cover these mistakes by appointing Pulis, who in most circumstances would be oppugnant to fans, but now he's welcomed and the directors are praised for their effectiveness.

Of course he is protecting his asset, he's a businessman.

The wrong appointment was made in the Summer and in order to try and get the club back on a sound base we've gone for an experienced bloke who is well versed as a number one in this division, something we've been crying out for whether we like him or loathe him (and most of us have over the years).

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2015, 07:09:59 PM »
Fair enough on that count re: Irvine but as many fans will attest too when they think back, Pulis's Stoke boarded on anti-football and pushed some of the boundaries of sportsmanship.

That's true, but you can hardly say that about his more recent Palace team.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2015, 07:16:43 PM »
His Palace side played some brilliant football last season.

His Stoke side played some good stuff too at times, they wouldn't have got where they have without having played some decent stuff...

Yes his Stoke side played some questionable tactics at times, but were they effective?? Yes!

We can't compete financially on many levels with a lot of teams and that includes Championship sides now who have much richer owners.

We have to play effective football and make ourselves hard to beat and a team no one likes to play, Pulis will make us that team

i don't see what is wrong with that, Yes I want to be entertained, i also want too see passion and games where we gain points and not lose them easily by being a soft touch.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2015, 07:34:12 PM »
The fact that he used his players to get his Clubs to succeed is in my book a successful manager and that is all that matters.
It is strange that those moaning about him do not offer a credible alternative.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2015, 07:43:06 PM »

I absolutely thought this. Bang on!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2015, 07:44:23 PM »
Too many people believe the "West Brasil" tag. Since the Giles/Atkinson team of the late seventies we have rarely seen good football. For the most part it has been hard work to watch, and this season really boring.
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2015, 07:46:25 PM »

Saint Irvine was too nice and the results reflected that. All winners sail close to the edge of fair play Daglish Ferguson Suarez etc etc Do you think Barcelona play this despicable football you allude to.No, But they overlook some players objectionable traits because they want to win. Its not the 1950's ( where I'm sure there were unattractive winning teams) Unfortunately in the real world the Albion can't afford too may aesthetic morals
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:11:50 PM by OldburyWBA »

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2015, 07:54:39 PM »
I think it's a great appointment. I've never been a Pulis fan, but I'm damned sure I could be a massive one!!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »
Just listening to five live and they've just played a snipit of an interview he did this afternoon.

He did confirm he spoke to Megson and Hodgson before taking the job!

He also confirmed that he has tried on a few caps  ;D

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »
Just listening to five live and they've just played a snipit of an interview he did this afternoon.

He did confirm he spoke to Megson and Hodgson before taking the job!

He also confirmed that he has tried on a few caps  ;D
And 5 minutes ago Phil Neville said on 5 Live after getting to know Pulis he was the best manager he had ever spoken to about the game. Thats a direct quote.

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #198 on: January 02, 2015, 08:10:55 PM »
Too many people believe the "West Brasil" tag. Since the Giles/Atkinson team of the late seventies we have rarely seen good football. For the most part it has been hard work to watch, and this season really boring.

I agree, what is this magical football they are on about that we have been seeing since the 70's because for quite sometime now I haven't seen it at all.

Since Hodgson left the standard of football has been dire, before he came it was dire, the Albion way... laughable.
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #199 on: January 02, 2015, 08:13:44 PM »
Hope everyone has praised the board for acting decisively, quickly and seamlessly in getting a man deemed 'not a good fit' for our club.