Author Topic: 9 Feb 2019 Stoke City 0 Albion 1  (Read 42199 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #250 on: February 10, 2019, 08:40:01 AM »
actually thought Montero did well, kept possession with some decent passes and runs that ran the clock down. Jrod  is somewhat a strange one for me, first touch at times today was poor along with the lack of composure where you'd expect better with that chance 1st half with the goalkeeper out of position. then again his goal return is decent. wish we had a more physical striker who's good in the air to mix it up at times.
wasn't impressed at all with Murphy he certainly didn't look up for anything physical.

I would think that once Phillips is fit Murphy will only be back up
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #251 on: February 10, 2019, 08:48:12 AM »
Professional performance - thought we moved the ball well in patches

Stoke are garbage and didn’T really threaten and I thought we looked comfortable with that

Johansen was the stand out of new boys - Inthiught a Montero did ok when he came on as he kept the ball and ran it into the corner which appeared to be our intentio

Special mention to the two centre halves who were fantastic
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WBAcz

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #252 on: February 10, 2019, 08:56:43 AM »
Generally was happy with the performance Stoke didn't look like creating much even if we ourselves didn't exactly rip them apart. Feel much more assured having a back 4 with no square pegs round holes syndrome (second best defensive record in the league when playing with 4 at the back). With Phillips hopefully back in the next couple of weeks our squad options look much better and if our new loan signings can gel and Harper can continue to get game time we can build for the rest of the season. COYB.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #253 on: February 10, 2019, 09:07:42 AM »

Haven't got a hit list. Say what I see. I'd snatch Burnley's hand off for 10 million.

I'd be interested in your opinion if you ever bothered going to a game.

I o go to games and am amazed that you say JRod has been awful all season. Just not correct but of course you can say what you like. It’s called opinions

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #254 on: February 10, 2019, 09:35:32 AM »
To think some fans was up in arms at us not signing ryan woods . He's been pooh

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #255 on: February 10, 2019, 09:49:59 AM »
I o go to games and am amazed that you say JRod has been awful all season. Just not correct but of course you can say what you like. It’s called opinions
Jrod for me had a poor game last night , that said I don't think he suits the dropping in part of his role at all . Not strong enough or quick enough to spot a pass but other than HRK we have nobody else to do that until the end of the season.
On the game , ugly ugly win but will gladly take 3 points on Stoke's patch .
Thought Hegazi and Dawson played very well , Barry too after a slow start.
Of the new signings I thought Murphy did ok but that's not his side , Montero did his bit being a late threat and SJ had a mixed bag but will come good in time I think .
Now Barnes has gone we really need to get the front three showing better on the turn over , too many times the midfielders look up with nobody to hit.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2019, 10:02:15 AM »
Good result but a frustrating performance at times (like many others this season). Thought Stoke were there for the taking but our final ball let us down on too many occasions.

I’ll echo everybody else’s comments in saying that Dawson and Hegazi were both superb. Thought Holgage was very good also; he’s made a real difference since he’s come into the team. Barry ran the game in midfield even at the age of 38.

New boys did ok for me. Murphy did some decent things in the first half but was clearly struggling with injury for most of the second. Johanson was tidy and has a bit of culture in that left foot.

Great to think we have Brunt, Morrison, HRK and Phillips to come back into the squad. Think we are missing Phillips’ pace and directness and would personally play him in the front 3 when he returns.

Hate to agree with Jacko but thought JRod was really poor again. He’s offered us very little in too many games this season with his link up play and all round game lacking at times.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2019, 10:10:04 AM »
I don't quite go with this Murphy being out of position. These days you have to be adaptable, you can't just say i'm a left wing or right wing. I'm sure they play both sides in training and they are expected to be adaptable. He'll be limiting himself if he can't switch sides effectively.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2019, 10:12:19 AM »
I don't quite go with this Murphy being out of position. These days you have to be adaptable, you can't just say i'm a left wing or right wing. I'm sure they play both sides in training and they are expected to be adaptable. He'll be limiting himself if he can't switch sides effectively.
He's left sided cutting in on his right foot mate , made his name doing that .
Point taken about being flexible but the odd time Barnes went on the right he looked lost.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2019, 10:30:07 AM »
Rodriguez has been perfect for Gayle . You know both love playing with each other. Would be a huge mistake to drop him

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
JRod has been awful all season.
hope he is rubbish for the rest of the season then  he should make 20 goals+ you obviously been watching different games to me

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »
It would be suicidal to drop him. Only he and Gayle score our goals.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2019, 10:36:58 AM »
Who was in the Strikers position when we scored? Thats right Gayle

JRod and him work well together and have built an understanding. I’m not in the JRod has been awful group but I do think he can play better and maybe the role isn’t suiting him as much and playing to his strengths

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »
thought it was a decent performance and if the final ball had been better when we were breaking forward we could have had more than the one, J rod did not have his best game and he probably had the best chance to make it 2 just before  H T but just a bad day at the office I am sure he will bounce back Tuesday, not sure about murphy or monterro  yet but I though Johansson had a good start until his legs started to go we needed to win after Boro game and we did once again other results went for us so another 3 points Tuesday please

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2019, 10:55:56 AM »
Would love to see Livermore replaced by Harper for the Forest game...think we'd have a lot more potency in attack.

Great result against Stoke by the way...good for the confidence of the newcomers. COYB!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »
Who was in the Strikers position when we scored? Thats right Gayle

JRod and him work well together and have built an understanding. I’m not in the JRod has been awful group but I do think he can play better and maybe the role isn’t suiting him as much and playing to his strengths

Positions for set plays will always be different.

Jrod and Gayle clearly do get on well together and you see that in interviews and celebrations, but do they actually work well together or is that a myth? How many goals have they actually  set up for each other?

We could have done with another striker in the window as we didn’t have an out and out striker on the bench. Could be a chance for Tulloch before the end of the season.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #266 on: February 10, 2019, 11:59:39 AM »
JRod again divides opinion, for me he is nowhere near a 12m player and if Burnley offered that we should deal
He might very well get on well with Gayle, Sutton and Shearer hated each other and did ok ....so it doesn't matter
I think Rondon and Gayle would be a very good partnership, I also think both Gayle and Rodriguez would benefit from switching to a 442
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #267 on: February 10, 2019, 12:03:45 PM »
JRod again divides opinion, for me he is nowhere near a 12m player and if Burnley offered that we should deal
He might very well get on well with Gayle, Sutton and Shearer hated each other and did ok ....so it doesn't matter
I think Rondon and Gayle would be a very good partnership, I also think both Gayle and Rodriguez would benefit from switching to a 442

4-4-2 is old hat it rarely works in the modern game, especially with our lack of legs in midfield. Gayle and Rodriguez have 31 goals between them so far it's not harming them at all playing as we are.

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #268 on: February 10, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »
He just spends alot of the time roaming around, He'll sometimes get into good scoring positions but nowhere near the instinct Gayle would have in that position, Baffles me why he doesn't put Jay outwide instead of Gayle.

Gayle is feeding off scraps pretty much and still scoring.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #269 on: February 10, 2019, 12:06:30 PM »

4-4-2 is old hat it rarely works in the modern game, especially with our lack of legs in midfield. Gayle and Rodriguez have 31 goals between them so far it's not harming them at all playing as we are.
Being rigid is old hat , during this season it has been obvious that at times teams work us out, changing to 442 should actually give us more legs, make JRod and Gayle more direct and have an extra bod in midfield
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2019, 12:11:27 PM »
Being rigid is old hat , during this season it has been obvious that at times teams work us out, changing to 442 should actually give us more legs, make JRod and Gayle more direct and have an extra bod in midfield

It isn't an extra body in midfield. The way we play JRod drops deep in front of the three and with Gibbs and Holgate bombing on as they do we have plenty of numbers.

4-4-2 means a completely different way of playing which would negate the wide threat of Gibbs and Holgate for a start. Wouldn't suit us.

Football has changed there are good reasons why most teams don't play 4-4-2 anymore.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #271 on: February 10, 2019, 12:19:25 PM »
Main thing is we did enough to get the 3 points. Good defensive performance with Hegazi and Daws strong and in control. Gibbs deserves a mention as he rarely wastes possession and is often involved in some of our more dangerous attacks. 
Barry again very impressive for a 38 year old. He knows how to make time for himself and times and delivers his passes accurately. And Gayle absolutely top notch. You couldn't really ask for a better striker at this level. Some people are quick to criticise JRod when he misses chances, but his overall scoring record is good, and he is very much a team player.
Of the new boys, I thought Johansen looks like he can add some much needed creativity to the midfield and slot well into our system. Murphy has certainly got a turn of speed and able to get around his full back. It's just that some of his passing and shooting accuracy looked sloppy and in that regard, he didn't look any better than McLean.

But we really have alot of choice now in midfield. When Phillips is back, we will have 9 players competing for 3 places, so DM has plenty of options, which is good. That will keep everyone on their toes, and he can play whoever is looking sharpest.   

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »
I think Hegazi is really benefitting from football in the Championship, he came to us having played very little club football, his positional sense has really improved and his partnership with Dawson is looking pretty solid and bodes well for the future.
Baggie in Southampton

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »
Thought we were very good 1at half and saw out the game well.
Hegazi, Gibbs and Barry superb. Rodriguez was poor but would still pick him as we have no better option and can't argue with his goalscoring record and his bromance with Gayle certainly seems to work.
Livermore different though, he was poor again despite being preferred over a far better footballer in Harper.
Get Phillips, Harper and maybe Bond in for Murphy, Livermore and Johnstone and I think we have our best 11.
Great win though.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #274 on: February 10, 2019, 07:35:35 PM »
Love this from a stoke fan on the oatcake site

I was at the game and from the noise level you’d have thought it was a home game for West Brom. We were totally outsung!
Their fans got behind their team and us fans did bugger all apart from moan. No wonder the players are uninspired and no confidence.
Baggies have done the double over us and we deserved it.

Can we do this at the Hawthorns and get behind the team from the off.