Author Topic: 1 Oct 2019 Leeds United 1 Albion 0  (Read 38008 times)

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2019, 09:45:14 PM »
Played Leeds off the park second half - if only we would be prepared to shoot and take responsibility or we had  striker we would win this game and the league 8)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2019, 09:45:40 PM »
Stupid team selection cost us tonight and why the hell did we show them so much respect.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2019, 09:46:38 PM »
Must learn to shoot when in good positions. Trying to pass the ball into the net - that final chance a good example.

Good second half, dominating the best team in the league at Elland road, but we are a bit blunt up front. HRK, Zohore and even Austin all seem very average strikers, with January potentially a key month for us.

Pereira very good today, as was Ajayi (and the defence as a whole). Got a bit ragged with fouls leading to yellow cards though. Diangana, Krov, Edwards, Phillips and Sawyers second half all linked up well but none of them wanted to pull the trigger.

Not a bad first loss, but I hope we learn from our mistakes.
Boing Boing

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2019, 09:46:49 PM »
get a striker in this team and we'll win the league. neither striker used tonight held the ball up. poor 1st half but superb 2nd from us after we started to dominate the midfield. Gayle would have dream season in this team.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2019, 09:47:08 PM »
Bouncing back is what counts.

The key is to follow up with another good run of results.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2019, 09:47:18 PM »
Johnston superb, we will need to get a poacher next window, love the commitment from the whole team
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

superkev

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2019, 09:47:58 PM »
Leave Zohore and Kanu in Yorkshire they are pants
"

eddiethebeagle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2019, 09:49:08 PM »
Disappointed we didn’t get the goal but pleased with the second half performance. We reduced them to sitting back and their crowd knew it and were getting frustrated.

Pereira superb again, Sawyers picked up second half after an anonymous first half.

Krovinovic linked up superbly with Pereira as usual.

Love how Ajayi has the ability to step into midfield and even beat a man.

Neither Zohore or HRK offered anything. This is going to be our problem. Austin has to be the main man and start scoring but when we try and rest him we don’t have the quality poacher to step in.

Shout out to Sam Johnstone. Kept that at one goal only. Fantastic double save.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2019, 09:53:16 PM »
Great performance but thoroughbreds feeding a donkey unfortunately. Ferguson, Furlong, Ajayi, Sawyers, Perreira, Diabgana, Krov all sublime but  HRK, Zohore and, hate to say it, Austin all donkeys.
If we can stay top 4 until January and get a quality striker in, or two, we will win the league.I
Great performance though, thought we would Nick something but wasn't to be.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #184 on: October 01, 2019, 09:53:32 PM »
That's some of the best attacking football I've ever seen from us. 9 times out of 10 we would have won. The final pass or final ball just didn't fall right. 
You could see all of Leeds were very relieved at the end.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2019, 09:54:45 PM »
Oddly I’m far more positive after that than before kick off.  That was a very good second half, at the toughest ground in the league to go to. Play anywhere near that level for the rest of the season and we are bang in the running.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2019, 09:55:43 PM »
Stupid team selection cost us tonight and why the hell did we show them so much respect.

So who would you have played instead? given that we have 3 games in 8 days.....

I don't think we showed them much respect at all. We went toe to toe, particularly in the second half and gave them a good game. They are a good side but we were better, I am really pleased with how we performed tonight as the game went on, and Johnstone was excellent.
MAGA!

baggiepipe

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
Austin needs to play every match unless he's dead. He'll start scoring, and even if he doesn't we look much more dangerous. He gives the defenders a lot to think about and watch. The Leeds manager even striker (Austin) as one of the players they had to watch.

I am very surprised Bilic didn't throw him out there at the end and go for it. Play 2 up top or drop Zohore back a little.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2019, 10:00:52 PM »
Developing into a wonderful side to watch, with mobile, quality ball players all over the field.  One and two touch passing and real pace throughout.  The front players were the weak link, with Zahor's cameo rather puzzling and we look reliant on Austin to score the goals. 

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2019, 10:02:44 PM »
Beaten by a deflection.  :(

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2019, 10:04:41 PM »
So who would you have played instead? given that we have 3 games in 8 days.....

I don't think we showed them much respect at all. We went toe to toe, particularly in the second half and gave them a good game. They are a good side but we were better, I am really pleased with how we performed tonight as the game went on, and Johnstone was excellent.
Any team selection that starts Kanu is a poor one, simple as that.
We played well and I am not overly disappointed but you can't be surprised to score nil when he starts. It should never happen again.
Bilic is brilliant but not exempt from criticism.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »
Mixed feelings.

Incredibly proud of the spirit and fight, in stark contrast to the game up there last season.

Ajayi is a bloody fantastic player who is becoming a Premierleague quality defender. What a leader too! Pereira and Diangana are both quality too and we should build our team around all three.

On the other hand, Kanu showed again he is not good enough and the less said about Zohore's cameo the better. I also think Bartley had a poor game showing ill discipline and poor positional play.

I want to see Hegazi is as soon as possible for Bartley and Austin starting regularly.

I am 100% behind Slaven though as he quite clearly has got the players playing for the badge. Leeds know they've escaped tonight.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:09:52 PM by wbako »
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

mig

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2019, 10:06:22 PM »
That second half should give us confidence. Leeds usually have around 70% of the ball - according to BBC they only had 48% today.

Couple of times we were a little bit shot-shy. Zohore really not looking worth the money. I didn't mind HRK starting, thought we'd have to counter-attack and so his mobility would help more than Austin.

Not sure about people clamouring for Austin to start, he has looked better than the other two but hardly a world beater. Early days but if things don't improve I'd consider Phillips through the middle, then Diangana-Pereira-Edwards.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2019, 10:06:55 PM »
Played well especially second half, Johnstone man of the match but nothing up front again. Either need to do something to get the front men scoring or recruit another in January. If the current 3 aren't doing it maybe worth sticking Edwards up there, he is a striker after all.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #194 on: October 01, 2019, 10:12:50 PM »
Wouldn't really be too critical of anyone tonight. The way we play we need Diangana, Phillips/Edwards, Pereira or Furlong getting in behind which we didn't get quite right tonight. The final pass never quite on the money. We played pretty well but apart from the Pereira shot from a good move their keeper didn't have too much to save. The Edwards for Livermore switch could have been made 5 minutes earlier.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Brooklynbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2019, 10:13:00 PM »
Disappointed but we played well, especially for a new team. I’d have taken second at this stage of the season. A natural goal scorer and this team could be immense. Not many teams make Leeds defend at home like we did. Strangely disappointed but positive at the same time. We deserved a point at least. I’d rather have our team than theirs.
Let’s move on and stuff Cardiff.

wbadazza

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »
I too believe that HRK wasnt good tonight, he was very good when he came on against QPR so completely understand why Bilic gave him a start. Didn't work out tonight but none of the strikers are scoring so you cant blame Bilic for trying it.
cut me in half you'll find blue and white stripes

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2019, 10:15:00 PM »
Any team selection that starts Kanu is a poor one, simple as that.
We played well and I am not overly disappointed but you can't be surprised to score nil when he starts. It should never happen again.
Bilic is brilliant but not exempt from criticism.
#
Fully agree seteefeet, but the post suggests more than one issue. Just wondering who else was pants.

We know we have a striker problem and I hope that gets resolved in January. I thought Zohore would be ahead of HRK, but you could argue that he deserved his chance after his short appearance against QPR.   
MAGA!

baggiepipe

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2019, 10:17:08 PM »
Strikers aren't all about scoring. They are asked under Bilic to play as an cog in the attack, not as a center piece to feed through. Movement, making runs, pulling defenders to open spaces for others, passing, etc. are all part of it. Thats why Bilic said he's happy with Austin even though he's not scoring. His play is creating opportunities for others. Bilic said as much this week. He said that Austin was asked to play for the team, rather than be a central target upfront.

What matters is if the team is scoring. Tonight there was no scoring and lot less of everything attack-wise. The defence was pretty good actually.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2019, 10:22:23 PM »
#
Fully agree seteefeet, but the post suggests more than one issue. Just wondering who else was pants.

We know we have a striker problem and I hope that gets resolved in January. I thought Zohore would be ahead of HRK, but you could argue that he deserved his chance after his short appearance against QPR.

HRK starting must tell us something about Bilic's confidence in Zohore.  He's obviously not showing in training either.  His highlight reel shows there is a striker in there but he may be a real confidence player.   When that ball was going across him he just needed to put his foot through it, but hesitated.  If you add that the ball did not stick to him once, then it is one concern amongst many positives. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:26:11 PM by Oldbury24 »