Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 725264 times)

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2800 on: May 31, 2019, 11:35:55 AM »
Our current (DoF) model sounds great provided you have a very good football director so there's a lot riding on Dowling being the right person for this huge summer.

He was at Watford and Forest before so hopefully he provides more of the approach at Watford rather than Forest. Nick Hammond, Terraneo and Terry Burton apparently had a good reputation / pedigree too but we know how all that turned out!

I look at the board at the moment with massive concerns and doubts about whether they will ever get these big decisions right. This is based on the past few years of decision making which involved Jenkins and different football directors since Dan Ashworth.

Even if we get a top head coach/ manager, will he have the team around him to make some quality changes? Time will tell I guess..............

Very good point, but a top coach could hopefully recommend other top people to bring in to join the team??
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Xpresso

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2801 on: May 31, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
Supporters' club chairman urges West Brom to appoint an experienced manager

Wise words indeed from John, hope the club is listening

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/05/31/john-homer-west-brom-must-go-with-experience/

Yes, but it needs to be the right kind of experience. Pulis had plenty of experience, so did Pardew. There's also the small matter of needing to build a new team virtually from scratch. It's not going to happen overnight. Even Klop and Pochettino needed a season or two to get their teams as they wanted them and they started with much better squads than our new man will have.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2802 on: May 31, 2019, 02:16:57 PM »
Even though I'm hoping its Labbadia because he will bring fresh enthousiasm and ideas to the place, he would have to act fast in bringing in any players from Europe, before and if Brexit goes ahead. (PS I won't get started on that- not that the Mods would let me  :)) But we would be faced with a panel having to approve new players, the sort of complication we absolutely don't need. I think they use as a rule of thumb based on number of international appearances?  Mind you that would apply to all British clubs under which ever manager, but in the case of a European manager, he is likley to have alot of targets on the continent. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2803 on: May 31, 2019, 02:30:40 PM »
Jeremy Peace's thoughts (via spoof twitter account) on our reported second round of talks with Bruno Labbadia...........

https://twitter.com/ChairmanPeace/status/1134008757053247490
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2804 on: May 31, 2019, 02:51:26 PM »
Jeremy Peace's thoughts (via spoof twitter account) on our reported second round of talks with Bruno Labbadia...........

https://twitter.com/ChairmanPeace/status/1134008757053247490

I set that account up yonks ago, was a little bit heartbroken when he moved on and didn't want to try change the name and emulate Lai through fear of accidental racism  ;D

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2805 on: May 31, 2019, 03:01:28 PM »
well done psalm that was a class spoof account... 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 03:15:51 PM by darbolina »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2806 on: May 31, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »
I set that account up yonks ago, was a little bit heartbroken when he moved on and didn't want to try change the name and emulate Lai through fear of accidental racism  ;D

Quality, it's given me some right laughs  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2807 on: May 31, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »
Seen it for the first time today. Brilliant.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2808 on: May 31, 2019, 03:27:58 PM »

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2809 on: May 31, 2019, 03:35:09 PM »
Got to laugh ain’t ya:

Understand #wbafc are interested in making #sufc manager Chris Wilder their new boss. Would be amazing if he left Prem chance, but he is increasingly frustrated by budget limitations and political rows at Sheff Utd behind the scenes.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2810 on: May 31, 2019, 03:44:33 PM »
Oldest trick in the book - Wilder's agent puts it out Albion are interested and he miraculously gets a rise and the support he wanted................

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2811 on: May 31, 2019, 03:50:34 PM »
Give it 2 days before sky announce Wilder has signed a new and improved contract at United.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2812 on: May 31, 2019, 03:57:05 PM »
If Wilder finds the Sheff Utd board frustrating and is considering us at any level he must have never ever ever paid any attention to our club.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2813 on: May 31, 2019, 04:04:08 PM »
True according to Matt Wilson   :o

"Can confirm #wba are trying to lure Chris Wilder away from #sufc. Whether they can or not, is another matter. Remarkable if he left Prem (and his club) but Albion trying to capitalise on unrest behind scenes. One of the new names on evolving shortlist. Labbadia still in running"

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2814 on: May 31, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »
Here we go chasing an extremely unlikely prospect while a potentially good candidate in Labbadia will get frustrated of waiting and be employed elsewhere.

Seen this before.

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #2815 on: May 31, 2019, 04:14:20 PM »
Here we go chasing an extremely unlikely prospect while a potentially good candidate in Labbadia will get frustrated of waiting and be employed elsewhere.

Seen this before.

That is exactly what i fear will happen. If Wilder is frustrated by budget limitations and issues with ownership then coming here aint going to improve either of those.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:20:28 PM by zac »
Smethwick..

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2816 on: May 31, 2019, 04:16:21 PM »
True according to Matt Wilson   :o

"Can confirm #wba are trying to lure Chris Wilder away from #sufc. Whether they can or not, is another matter. Remarkable if he left Prem (and his club) but Albion trying to capitalise on unrest behind scenes. One of the new names on evolving shortlist. Labbadia still in running"

Sounds like a scattergun approach. Have we any idea at all what we are looking for?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2817 on: May 31, 2019, 04:20:48 PM »
Sounds like a scattergun approach. Have we any idea at all what we are looking for?

As it's our board i'd say no. They will faff about with Wilder, lose out on Labbadia then Wilder will sign a new improved deal wth SUFC and then the board will be all lost at sea again.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2818 on: May 31, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »
Wilder is fairly progressive and has done an impressive job at Sheffield United in any other circumstances I would be happy that the club were interested. However this has a feel of us pursuing the next bright and shinny thing that catches our attention. I also wouldn't want to hitch our Head Coach search to the whatever soap opera is going on behind the scenes at Bramhall Lane.

If Labbadia is available and interested we need to close the deal.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2819 on: May 31, 2019, 04:49:58 PM »
Got to laugh ain’t ya:

Understand #wbafc are interested in making #sufc manager Chris Wilder their new boss. Would be amazing if he left Prem chance, but he is increasingly frustrated by budget limitations and political rows at Sheff Utd behind the scenes.

Not a cat in hells chance. If he thinks their board are bad.....
Another one trying to get the best deal out of his board.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2820 on: May 31, 2019, 04:56:48 PM »
If theres a genuine chance id say wilder would suit us better than labbadia. Clear championship pedigree and a safer bet overall whilst still building fairly attacking teams.  If its between him and labbadia though either would likely be good if they're properly backed (big if)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2821 on: May 31, 2019, 05:09:26 PM »
Wasn't expecting to see that name on here - thought I'd accidentally clicked on the boxing thread for a moment.

Completely bizarre. I'd be very happy with Wilder but it would be a huge shock if it happened.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2822 on: May 31, 2019, 05:10:43 PM »
Wilder. Ha ha no chance. Absolute bullsh*t journalism. You'd have to stupid to believe this nonsense. Lazy journalism on account of the fact that there's nothing much happening at the moment.

It'll be Labaddia as long as he agrees terms.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2823 on: May 31, 2019, 05:14:23 PM »
We are beyond a laughing stock. Labbadia won't be coming as we won't pay his wages apparently. Tin pot club

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2824 on: May 31, 2019, 05:17:39 PM »
We are beyond a laughing stock. Labbadia won't be coming as we won't pay his wages apparently. Tin pot club

Absolutely no evidence of this whatsoever.