Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 283093 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #675 on: December 31, 2018, 10:55:11 AM »
I'd be loathed to send him to Rangers or Celtic.

Both are big clubs and if he does well as a Scot, you can see a player getting swept up in it. Neither have serious money so I could see us getting our trousers pulled down.

Where ever he goes though I hope we put penalties in the loan agreement like Everton supposedly do. We cant let anyone use him to pack a squad and waste everyone's time. He needs to be playing.

Forget the fee that we paid for him that has gone now it is just a question of moving him on and recovering anything we can. The first step in that process is getting him playing somewhere anywhere.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #676 on: December 31, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »
I just  want to see him playing to be honest, wherever he goes. He clearly has talent and needs to get some game time in. Best case scenario is that he goes to Celtic, starts on a regular basis, scores a few goals and gets noticed. At the end of the season we get a decent player back or a saleable asset. I don't think we can afford to be too picky on where he goes based on their ability to buy him at the end of the loan. The lad is no mug - he just needs to be pointed in the right direction.

MAGA!

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #677 on: December 31, 2018, 11:38:43 AM »
Needs loaning to a championship side where hell be tested and hopefully improve,not in a two team league like Celtic and rangers with a bunch of also rans

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #678 on: December 31, 2018, 12:20:01 PM »
Needs loaning to a championship side where hell be tested and hopefully improve,not in a two team league like Celtic and rangers with a bunch of also rans
Depends what we want. If he was to shine in the Scottish prem we should be able to get some reasonable money back....could also repair some damaged confidence.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #679 on: December 31, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »
No point loaning him to Celtic, probably wouldn't start and would be playing against dross whenever he got on the pitch. Bottom 5 Championship or even a League 1 team where he's guaranteed to start every game.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #680 on: December 31, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
No point loaning him to Celtic, probably wouldn't start and would be playing against dross whenever he got on the pitch. Bottom 5 Championship or even a League 1 team where he's guaranteed to start every game.

Have to agree with that, Dundee / Hamilton et al should hardly be a real test for him, if, he is to be good enough to stay with what will likely be a premiership cannon fodder side next term.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #681 on: December 31, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »
Not really. They've spent more than £6m on a player once in 18 years.
9 million on Edwardo in summer plenty money there.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #682 on: December 31, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »
top Coach in Rodgers could get the best out of him and he's not shy in playing youngsters in his side.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #683 on: December 31, 2018, 08:16:41 PM »
top Coach in Rodgers could get the best out of him and he's not shy in playing youngsters in his side.

This. If he's still going to be in charge, then Burke could probably do with his approach to the game tbh.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #684 on: January 04, 2019, 12:45:43 PM »
From the Birmingham Mail today - Celtic, Forest and Milwall allegedly interested.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/celtic-oliver-burke-west-brom-15628443

"West Brom winger Oliver Burke is a man in demand.

Celtic are known to be interested in signing him in the January transfer window, and now it seems he has a new admirer.

Nottingham Forest are reportedly monitoring his situation at West Brom.

The former Reds winger looks likely to leave the Hawthorns this month with Millwall recently said to want him on loan .

With Celtic and Milwall interested in the Scotland international on a short-term basis, Forest are also keeping tabs on developments.

West Brom signed Burke in August 2017 on a five-year contract, but he has managed just three league appearances from the bench for Darren Moore’s Baggies this term."
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #685 on: January 05, 2019, 11:15:13 AM »
Gone to Celtic on loan subject to passing a medical.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #686 on: January 05, 2019, 11:17:07 AM »
Has now gone on loan to Celtic.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/january/burke-joins-celtic-on-loan/

Will do him good and maybe they'll buy him off us at the end of the season.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #687 on: January 05, 2019, 11:25:47 AM »
Glad he has gone out on loan early, but not sure if Celtic would have been my first choice. I've seen a few times this season where Scott Sinclair has been a sub, and he is fsr more developed that Oli Burke.

Still, this will definitely get him exposure and maybe being in Scotland will be good for him. If he does well, then Celtic might be prepared to splash the cash on him.
Boing Boing

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #688 on: January 05, 2019, 11:31:04 AM »
Should be ok up there..lots of kick and rush and 1000 mph frantic football..just look at Sinclair....not  suitable for us even though only limited chances..doubt we will see half of the 15million if he is sold..

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #689 on: January 05, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
I wish him all the best and hope he does well. There's a good player in there, he just needs regular games. You could say that though for most the younger players in our team though.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #690 on: January 05, 2019, 02:55:36 PM »
I hope he goes there and does well....im sure there is a really good player in there who could make a serious impact in the future.

Glad we've stated no option to buy and its purely because we want him to develop into the player he can be and then utilise him

Best of luck to him
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #691 on: January 05, 2019, 02:58:16 PM »
Let’s be honest, he’s not impressed here and isn’t going to get any more chances in the team. So a loan move is best for both parties. If he does well he’s putting himself in the shop window for a summer move

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #692 on: January 05, 2019, 03:19:20 PM »
Not sure that Scotland is an environment which will challenge him too much, that said if he does not shine in that side in that league we will know what to do with him and if he does he will have earned another chance down here. I suspect much will rest upon his attitude
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #693 on: January 05, 2019, 03:26:27 PM »
Hope he get enough chances there, I think Brendan Rodgers could benefit to his development.
The PRIDE of midlands

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #694 on: January 05, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
What a disastrous signing. £15 million...Only in football would such a failed outlay be swept under the carpet.

Nothing against the lad by the way - whenever I saw him play for us, he always gave his all. He just wasn't upto it. I wish him well at Celtic.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #695 on: January 05, 2019, 04:04:39 PM »
I think he’ll be a hit in Scotland. Similar to Scott Sinclair

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #696 on: January 05, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »
I hope he does brilliantly up there and that they buy him.

Hopefully, our upfront fee for him was about £8m-£10m and we can get half that back at least, as this guy is terrible.

All the best Ollie, please tear it up there.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #697 on: January 05, 2019, 05:43:01 PM »
Theres definitely no option to buy it has been stated but yes, hopefully hwe does well and we can get half of our money back.

mig

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #698 on: January 06, 2019, 06:09:36 AM »
Think that's the end of his time here. If he does well then Celtic (or a bigger club) will buy him. If he does badly then we may sell him to someone smaller and take a bigger loss on our initial outlay.

For what it's worth, as much as Rodgers is an arrogant so-and-so, he is the type of manager who could get the best out of a player like Burke. I maintain that the kid has not been given a fair chance here at all, and we could well look back on this with regret in a few years.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #699 on: January 06, 2019, 06:41:08 AM »
Think that's the end of his time here. If he does well then Celtic (or a bigger club) will buy him. If he does badly then we may sell him to someone smaller and take a bigger loss on our initial outlay.

For what it's worth, as much as Rodgers is an arrogant so-and-so, he is the type of manager who could get the best out of a player like Burke. I maintain that the kid has not been given a fair chance here at all, and we could well look back on this with regret in a few years.
Celtic or a bigger club?? This could be the apex of his career. He’s been lead a charmed life. Now is the time for him to kick on and make a name for himself.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:46:47 AM by costa blanca baggie »
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.