Michael O'Neill
Gary Megson
Martin O'Neill
Paul Cook
Tony Mowbray
Slaven Bilic
Nigel Pearson
A.N. Other please state

Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 329470 times)

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

Re: New Manager
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »
If Press Speculation is true and Potter is Interested in us and We Get him I Will Run into Wolverhampton in a Baggies Shirt Singing We've Got Potter To Make those Dingles Thickos Scared. If we get him we will become Pride Of The Midlands and Get Promoted and Have a good old Battle With The Wolves in the Premier League
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2018, 10:30:44 AM »
My 3 man shortlist would be:

Nigel Pearson
Lee Johnson
Derek Adams
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »
If Press Speculation is true and Potter is Interested in us and We Get him I Will Run into Wolverhampton in a Baggies Shirt Singing We've Got Potter To Make those Dingles Thickos Scared. If we get him we will become Pride Of The Midlands and Get Promoted and Have a good old Battle With The Wolves in the Premier League

Too many 'ifs' in that post for me
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2018, 10:31:54 AM »

A bit early to start on the Stella isn't it????
MAGA!

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
Lots of Aberdeen fans would be more than pleased to see the back of McInnes. You'd think after appointing Pulis and then Pardew we wouldn't go anywhere near Pearson or Shakespeare or God forbid Mad Mick.

Potter or Smith the two stand outs for me. A nod to Neil Harris at Millwall also. I needs to be something different, we've tried everything else.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »
My 3 man shortlist would be:

Nigel Pearson
Lee Johnson
Derek Adams

Pearson (with Shaky or Appleton)
Smith
Potter

In that order for me.
Pearson wouldn't have put up with the behaviour on or off the pitch that some of our players have got away with.
I believe that when Robson was here, Pearson was known as the sergeant major.
Whichever way we go the board and potential manager need a game plan, and a  good one

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2018, 10:40:28 AM »
I was asked why i wanted McInnes, can i ask you the same, why Dean Smith? He as achieved less than McInnes! For me not a chance but I'm not knocking your choice just wandered why?

For me he has done very well with Brentford on their tiny budget, he gets his teams playing good football which we all want to see. Admittidly I have done some further research on him to answer your question (thanks Wiki) but this has only made me prefer him more over others named so far.

With Walsall he turned them around from relegation (when they were 9 points adrift in league 1) and then completed an overhaul of the squad the next summer. Over 2 seasons he turned them around from being relegation faves to finishing 9th. His ability to bring in youth players from the youth squad and new transfers/loans worked well.

The next 2 seasons at Walsall saw him finish mid table again (plus cup final), then he left mid season with Walsall in 4th place to join Brentford (rather than being sacked).

during his time with Brentford he has pushed close to play offs  which is a great achievement in my eyes as they consistently have to sell players and bring in free transfers/loans rather than build a squad.

It would be great to see him make a natural progression to a bigger team like ours where he has potential to work with a bigger budget and a higher quality of player.

Pros:
Younger manager who clearly has ambition, not a merry go round old timer
Plays good football
Invests in youth and has shown that he can improve a player and sell him on for profit (something we have not done consistently but should be looking to do IMO)
Has a good track record and plenty of experience of the football league/championship without "failing" at a club yet.
Seems like a likeable man in press conferences I have seen
Also doesn't look like a pushover either

Cons:
Some may see as a risk - but I would prefer this risk than bringing in a has been looking for another pay packet.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:42:37 AM by Pie »

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2018, 10:47:48 AM »
I like the idea of Pearson as he was the architect of what happened at Leicester. However, I am aware that he is a difficult character, and his recent performance at Derby was below par.

I am just intrigued about Graham Potter. Regardless of the fact that he was a former player, what he has achieved in Sweden is remarkable. He has a decent philosophy and you just know that there are several clubs in the UK considering the risk. I can absolutely guarantee you that if we say no to him and another club take him, we will feel sick when he takes off. Given our state at the moment, it has to be worth a gamble... and if it is a disaster after six months, then we start again. However, I am struggling to think of one manager who guarantees the type of football that we want to see, and promotion at the first attempt. Forget the Albion link, we need to appoint an ambitious young manager, and Potter seems to tick the boxes.

I don't like the idea of McInnes, Appleton or Shakespeare either......

Having said a few posts back that I wouldn't want Potter (based on my wrong assumption of his time in management; I thought he'd only been managing for 2 or 3 years and the league standard he's managed at) the more I read about him the more I'm warming to him.

This article from the Guardian from February shows what a deep thinker he is about the game and how he definitely thinks outside the box.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/12/graham-potter-another-path-for-english-managers-ostersund-arsenal-europa-league

definitely an intriguing prospect.

As much as Pearson may have been the architect of the Leicester side that Ranieri took to the title, Pearson nearly took them down and it was Ranieri that won the title, would Pearson have been capable of that or would they have had another season of struggle? We'll never know but I suspect that under Pearson Leicester would have been nearer the bottom than the top.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2018, 11:08:01 AM »
Having said a few posts back that I wouldn't want Potter (based on my wrong assumption of his time in management; I thought he'd only been managing for 2 or 3 years and the league standard he's managed at) the more I read about him the more I'm warming to him.

This article from the Guardian from February shows what a deep thinker he is about the game and how he definitely thinks outside the box.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/12/graham-potter-another-path-for-english-managers-ostersund-arsenal-europa-league

definitely an intriguing prospect.

As much as Pearson may have been the architect of the Leicester side that Ranieri took to the title, Pearson nearly took them down and it was Ranieri that won the title, would Pearson have been capable of that or would they have had another season of struggle? We'll never know but I suspect that under Pearson Leicester would have been nearer the bottom than the top.

I don't think so. Leicester finished the previous season under Pearson in title winning form. It's not hard to see that momentum continuing much as ours did when Pulis took us to a disastrous last ten games last season.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »
I think if we get a Graham Potter or Dean Smith (both who i would be more than happy to see) then i think we have to allow them time to build and develop a squad.

Hopefully the majority of this seasons squad will be gone, however that isnt a guarentee, due to what appears to be quite a shocking attitude of some of our squad (the performances, results and efforts reflect that) i would worry for a Potter or Smith if they came in and had to work with a lot of this squad.

Neither are big names who achieved much playing wise and havent coached the very top level so with the arrogance of some of our players currently here i could imagine they would make life difficult for a 'unproven' coach, both Smith and Potter seem passionate about their football, their philosophies, etc and i could imagine a lot of these wasters we currently have turning their nose up at that. (Can you tell i dont like our current squad very much!)

If we are stuck with a large chunk of these players i would be tempted to go for a Pearson, Appleton type, somebody who appears a bit more volatile and confrontational and if the players didnt act the right way, they would know about it.

The ideal scenario would be we lose at least 50% of the current squad with those being the wasters, a ambitious, forward thinking coach comes in, can bring in his own players to work with the decent core thats left and we go again, ideally a Mowbray mark 2.

Sadly i do think we will end up with Mad Mick (actually like him as a bloke and no doubt he could do a job but after a few years of dreadful football would like to see a bit more positive and adventurous approach and dont think Mick provides that style)

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »
Our Players Will Probably have a Riot if Potter or Smith Came in and Tried to Play Football This Lot of Tosses will just sit on there arises smoking Some Spliffs, Eating Burgers having a Few Pints, A laugh and a Joke And then removed by Security Staff who throw them in a Skip And The Youth and New Signings will Come in.
Still Want Potter, Smith, Rowlett, Fulham Manager, Wilder or Raneri Though

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »
If we appoint Mick McCarthy I’m done.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
Our Players Will Probably have a Riot if Potter or Smith Came in and Tried to Play Football This Lot of Tosses will just sit on there arises smoking Some Spliffs, Eating Burgers having a Few Pints, A laugh and a Joke And then removed by Security Staff who throw them in a Skip And The Youth and New Signings will Come in.
Still Want Potter, Smith, Rowlett, Fulham Manager, Wilder or Raneri Though

and the fans will riot if we end up with McCarthy
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2018, 11:50:50 AM »
Smith
Potter

In that order for me.
Pearson wouldn't have put up with the behaviour on or off the pitch that some of our players have got away with.
Whichever way we go the board and potential manager need a game plan, and a  good one

Was it not on Pearson's watch that the players (including his son) allegedly "misbehaved" on a pre-season trip to Thailand ??

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2018, 12:04:30 PM »
Never said I wanted him he is Not we want orneed

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »
Smith
Potter

In that order for me.

Was it not on Pearson's watch that the players (including his son) allegedly "misbehaved" on a pre-season trip to Thailand ??

Yes it was, and the players were sacked, not put into the team the following Saturday.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2018, 12:14:46 PM »

The fans won't riot they'll just roll over moan a bit and except it

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
Story on the internet saying Hammond was at Ipswich yesterday and he is now favourite on skybet.

I don’t and can’t believe it as it’s nothing much of a credible source and surely Albion couldn’t be that stupid?!?

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2018, 12:23:50 PM »

I think we need to get rid of Hammond before he does anymore damage.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »

Said this yesterday Hampshire - likewise.
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #220 on: April 03, 2018, 12:25:43 PM »
Story on the internet saying Hammond was at Ipswich yesterday and he is now favourite on skybet.

I don’t and can’t believe it as it’s nothing much of a credible source and surely Albion couldn’t be that stupid?!?

Not in any of the tabloids.
I wouldn't worry too much on this one

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
Vote now!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #222 on: April 03, 2018, 12:54:49 PM »
Blimey!

Easy to see now, how share prices slip away following rumours.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #223 on: April 03, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »

Technical Director watching someone manage? Doubt it, thought it'd be more likely he was there to watch the players.

Personally I'm hoping McInnes gets it. Need someone to put a rocket up the players backside and show what it means to wear the shirt again. He'll get us back to doing the basics right and I'd imagine the fans will be with him all the way. It's going to be so tough changing this teams mentality to now be winning the majority of our matches, we haven't done it in over 8 years.
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2018, 12:57:51 PM »
Neil Warnock is also being mentioned. He doesnt do the premier league apparently
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties