Author Topic: 7 Dec 2018 Albion 2 Aston Villa 2  (Read 64695 times)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #350 on: December 08, 2018, 01:28:36 PM »
I don't think you created anything clear cut and quickly ran out of ideas. We were the better side, didn't win, it happens.

I guess you can take comfort from showing resilience and coming back, albeit with a huge dollop of luck and officiating incompetence. We can take positives from a third tough away game where we've been the better side.

I imagine we both wish we'd have appointed Smith in the summer.

Funny as!!

You were not the better side...doesn’t matter how many times you say it

On the balance of play is say the draw was a fair result but we were nowhere near our best yet you lot were at your very best..still couldn’t beat us
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Banned flag in villa end
« Reply #351 on: December 08, 2018, 01:39:51 PM »
Stewards are complete bells

Why wouldnt they let that in??

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #352 on: December 08, 2018, 02:18:37 PM »
The majority of your own supporters seem to be able to acknowledge we were the better side. The neutrals seem to have acknowledged it as well. We played the better more fluid football, as one of your number put it. We created by far and away the better chances and any other day we'd win 3 or 4-1 fairly comfortably. As it happens a double handball gets you out of jail.

You'd resorted to long diagonal balls and huffed and puffed without forcing much of note after 50 minutes.

I had you down as automatic candidates, but having seen you twice in a week, unless you get a manager in who knows that Gayle belongs down the middle and that your midfield isn't a retirement home, I think it's Play Offs at best.

You can dress your opinions as what you like or delude yourself as to what happened as much as you like. It's not me you're lying to, so crack on.

See you in February.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #353 on: December 08, 2018, 02:22:06 PM »
The majority of your own supporters seem to be able to acknowledge we were the better side. The neutrals seem to have acknowledged it as well. We played the better more fluid football, as one of your number put it. We created by far and away the better chances and any other day we'd win 3 or 4-1 fairly comfortably. As it happens a double handball gets you out of jail.

You'd resorted to long diagonal balls and huffed and puffed without forcing much of note after 50 minutes.

I had you down as automatic candidates, but having seen you twice in a week, unless you get a manager in who knows that Gayle belongs down the middle and that your midfield isn't a retirement home, I think it's Play Offs at best.

You can dress your opinions as what you like or delude yourself as to what happened as much as you like. It's not me you're lying to, so crack on.

See you in February.

To be fair you haven't seen the best of us. We look a little jaded at the moment, we've had a tough schedule and not rotated players. You got us at the right time. You really should have beat us but you didn't.

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #354 on: December 08, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »
No that's a fair point. You look more short of ideas this week, I acknowledge that's not necessarily systemic. But reading the comments and the hearing the moans and groans in the crowd last night, I don't think everybody is convinced about Moore.

Our schedule has been on paper very difficult;

Derby away
Blues home
Forest home
Boro away
Albion away
Stoke home
Leeds home

Yet we've been the better side in all of them so far. Two more from the run to go.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:27:53 PM by McSkittle »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #355 on: December 08, 2018, 03:28:02 PM »
Thought Burke was borderline lazy when he came on.
needs a kick up the pants if you ask me, Jimmy lay one on him.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #356 on: December 08, 2018, 03:40:26 PM »
Have to say i thought Villa were comfortably the better side.

In the formation we played, it was apparent on Monday when HRK went off at half time and Mozza faded early second half, that those two are crucial to that setup.

Last night we tried to do all our attacking down the left, it worked to a degree, but it was also predictable, we didnt seem to have another creative option, Phillips (who i think has been our player of the season so far) looks far better in centre midfield when he has Mozza alongside him.

Both sides had spells of possession, the difference was i felt Villa had more purpose during their spells, we had a couple of Gayle chances but we didnt really create anything of note, they on the other hand, quite often assisted by us defending poorly had several good chances.

I thought they used the ball better than us and got up the pitch quicker (our first goal we did to be fair) McGinn looks a class act for them and is exactly what we need, a box to box midfielder with some bite who can pass too, i think they brought him for £3m in the summer, we should of been all of over that.

The worry would be out the top ten teams, we have only beat two, Leeds and Norwich and when we beat Norwich first away game, they were nowhere near the team they are now. I had a feeling start of the season we may be flat track bullies and i think we are to an extent, however we are in the playoffs and if we can stay around there til January then would hope the squad is freshened up.

Are the likes of Hoolahan, Field, Burke going to play? If not let them go. Do we really need Barry, Brunt, Livermore and Field to all do the sitting role in midfield? If not sell one of them even if its unpopular. (Livermore seems to sit more and more nowadays, he is built like a unit and i think its affecting his mobility) its okay saying you need a big squad for the championship but we dont really use a fair few of them.

As for Villa i was quite impressed, they looked a good side and if they carry on as they are they will coast the league. However they are still in the honeymoon period, whoever came in after Bruce had a free hit, all Villa fans wanted was some better football and entertainment, they have now got that and the results have come too.

The test will come when they have a blip, they may not like it but they are and have always been very fickle (most modern fans are now, Albion included) but Villa are some of the worst, they do have an expectancy, in some ways its justified because they are a traditional big club, however football has changed and in modern day terms, they arent one of the big boys.

Will also be a test for Dean Smith, he is a good manager, however previous to Villa he has managed smaller clubs who have never really challenged or expected to challenge for anything, at Villa now, the better they do, the more is expected, will be interesting to see how he copes with the pressure of going for a full season of expectation.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:42:42 PM by Albion79 »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #357 on: December 08, 2018, 03:47:24 PM »
Have to say i thought Villa were comfortably the better side.

In the formation we played, it was apparent on Monday when HRK went off at half time and Mozza faded early second half, that those two are crucial to that setup.

Last night we tried to do all our attacking down the left, it worked to a degree, but it was also predictable, we didnt seem to have another creative option, Phillips (who i think has been our player of the season so far) looks far better in centre midfield when he has Mozza alongside him.

Both sides had spells of possession, the difference was i felt Villa had more purpose during their spells, we had a couple of Gayle chances but we didnt really create anything of note, they on the other hand, quite often assisted by us defending poorly had several good chances.

I thought they used the ball better than us and got up the pitch quicker (our first goal we did to be fair) McGinn looks a class act for them and is exactly what we need, a box to box midfielder with some bite who can pass too, i think they brought him for £3m in the summer, we should of been all of over that.

The worry would be out the top ten teams, we have only beat two, Leeds and Norwich and when we beat Norwich first away game, they were nowhere near the team they are now. I had a feeling start of the season we may be flat track bullies and i think we are to an extent, however we are in the playoffs and if we can stay around there til January then would hope the squad is freshened up.

Are the likes of Hoolahan, Field, Burke going to play? If not let them go. Do we really need Barry, Brunt, Livermore and Field to all do the sitting role in midfield? If not sell one of them even if its unpopular. (Livermore seems to sit more and more nowadays, he is built like a unit and i think its affecting his mobility) its okay saying you need a big squad for the championship but we dont really use a fair few of them.

As for Villa i was quite impressed, they looked a good side and if they carry on as they are they will coast the league. However they are still in the honeymoon period, whoever came in after Bruce had a free hit, all Villa fans wanted was some better football and entertainment, they have now got that and the results have come too.

The test will come when they have a blip, they may not like it but they are and have always been very fickle (most modern fans are now, Albion included) but Villa are some of the worst, they do have an expectancy, in some ways its justified because they are a traditional big club, however football has changed and in modern day terms, they arent one of the big boys.

Will also be a test for Dean Smith, he is a good manager, however previous to Villa he has managed smaller clubs who have never really challenged or expected to challenge for anything, at Villa now, the better they do, the more is expected, will be interesting to see how he copes with the pressure of going for a full season of expectation.

Post of the year that. Fantastic post. Not certain about the flat track bully theory but other than that absolutely spot on.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #358 on: December 08, 2018, 03:50:22 PM »
When you think we lost Morrison in the morning ,lost  HRK as the hold up , playing a expensive Villa side under the new manager honeymoon , two games in 4 days .....I have to give credit to the players to keep going until the death and be happy with the point.

Yep Played Monday then Friday!. A lot of people seem to have forgotten that. People on here saying they wanted Smith instead of DM, sounded a right crybaby after the game.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #359 on: December 08, 2018, 03:52:50 PM »
Thought Gibbs should of been quicker out to
Elgazi for both goals ,for a player of his supposed quality
We should be seeing more from him he shouldn’t be given the runaround by any winger in this division

Would need to see the second again but the first he wasn't at fault.  He had a man overlapping so any kind of closing down would have let him in with an easy pass.  It should have been Hegazi closing down there as we had more than enough defenders spare. He was too slow to see that Gibbs was dealing with two players.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #360 on: December 08, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »
Would need to see the second again but the first he wasn't at fault.  He had a man overlapping so any kind of closing down would have let him in with an easy pass.  It should have been Hegazi closing down there as we had more than enough defenders spare. He was too slow to see that Gibbs was dealing with two players.

Wrong. The man outside was not the immediate threat, you protect the centre of the goal at all times. Gibbs should've been out to block the shot. If the ball goes wide so be it you deal with the cross if you have to.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #361 on: December 08, 2018, 04:17:32 PM »
Whoever made this flag is a bit daft IMO. 

If he had done his research then Cyrille’s stint at Villa was no more than a footnote in his career.

Yet the flag had a massive Villa bias.

Is an Albion fan going to make a blue and white flag with Tony Morley’s picture on it at Villa Park, February?  No I thought not.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #362 on: December 08, 2018, 04:18:25 PM »
I thought villa were comfortably the better side last night, we can get better with the right personnel in the middle of the park which now we've changed defensively seems to be our biggest issue. Crying out for some legs in there but I have my doubts it will be addressed in January and expect the starting XI will see the same names we see now shuffled around and the bench might see the likes of Mears and Hoolahan replaced with similar.

Villa have done well recently so the new manager bounce is having an effect unlike us last season when Pardew came in and nothing changed. The keeper is suspect and Hutton got schooled by a young kid, I was amazed he didn't bring Barnes down in the build up to Gayle's goal, defensively although they have kept a few clean sheets lately they are not all that. I don't see the hype about Grealish as i've never seen him do much other than whine to the ref and sit on the floor blabbing like a little babby as he did again last night. They can bang on about us having 2 loanees stealing the show but their own loan player Tammy missed two sitters last night which would have possibly sealed the game for them and his recent goals have had a major impact on their results so both in the same boat.

The handball was not deliberate as is obvious from the video of it, the ball hit Rodriguez not the other way round so despite their cheat claims they are wrong, yes it should have been disallowed but thats down to the officials not the player, comparisons with Henry and Maradona are not like most of the vile fan excuses laughable.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #363 on: December 08, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »
I thought villa were comfortably the better side last night, we can get better with the right personnel in the middle of the park which now we've changed defensively seems to be our biggest issue. Crying out for some legs in there but I have my doubts it will be addressed in January and expect the starting XI will see the same names we see now shuffled around and the bench might see the likes of Mears and Hoolahan replaced with similar.

Villa have done well recently so the new manager bounce is having an effect unlike us last season when Pardew came in and nothing changed. The keeper is suspect and Hutton got schooled by a young kid, I was amazed he didn't bring Barnes down in the build up to Gayle's goal, defensively although they have kept a few clean sheets lately they are not all that. I don't see the hype about Grealish as i've never seen him do much other than whine to the ref and sit on the floor blabbing like a little babby as he did again last night. They can bang on about us having 2 loanees stealing the show but their own loan player Tammy missed two sitters last night which would have possibly sealed the game for them and his recent goals have had a major impact on their results so both in the same boat.

The handball was not deliberate as is obvious from the video of it, the ball hit Rodriguez not the other way round so despite their cheat claims they are wrong, yes it should have been disallowed but thats down to the officials not the player, comparisons with Henry and Maradona are not like most of the vile fan excuses laughable.

Actually, according to the laws of the game, it should not have been disallowed. The law clearly states that a handball has to be DELIBERATE in order for it to be an offence. So, basically, Villa can cry foul all they like, their problem, I suggest they read the rules of the game properly.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:30:09 PM by Atomic »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #364 on: December 08, 2018, 04:25:40 PM »

Actually according to the laws of the game it should not have been disallowed. The law clearly states that a handball has to be DELIBERATE in order for it to be an offence. So, basically Villa can cry foul all they like, their problem, I suggest they read the rules of the game properly.

Yeah thats fair enough but 9 times out of 10 it would have been, luckily this was the 1 out of 10 it wasn't so stuff the villa   :D

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #365 on: December 08, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »

Wrong. The man outside was not the immediate threat, you protect the centre of the goal at all times. Gibbs should've been out to block the shot. If the ball goes wide so be it you deal with the cross if you have to.

It's not wrong, watch it again.  The ball wouldn't have been wide it would have been played into our box for a pretty clear chance.  This play wasn't far out wide at all.  Hegazi should have been across not leaving Gibbs in a lose-lose position. The clue is that the shot went straight at Hegazi, he should have been closing down.

Hegazi wasn't there to close the shot down. He then literally heads the ball into his own net, and still Gibbs gets the blame.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #366 on: December 08, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
It's not wrong, watch it again.  The ball wouldn't have been wide it would have been played into our box for a pretty clear chance.  This play wasn't far out wide at all.  Hegazi should have been across not leaving Gibbs in a lose-lose position. The clue is that the shot went straight at Hegazi, he should have been closing down.

Hegazi wasn't there to close the shot down. He then literally heads the ball into his own net, and still Gibbs gets the blame.

I've watched it half a dozen times. The danger is the shot at goal, Gibbs has to show more desire to stop that shot. If I have a criticism of Hegazi, he should've moved his body to meet the ball rather than allowing the ball to hit him but it shouldn't have got this far. Gibbs has to read the danger and stop the shot.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #367 on: December 08, 2018, 05:15:24 PM »
Thought we were very lucky, they missed some glorious chances and smacked the woodwork. JRod is awful, we'd be woeful without Barnes, Gayle is not a winger and we missed Morrison terribly. Sadly, Brunt is finished IMO.

I hope the board are aware of our need to re-invest in the window because we can't continue to ride our luck like this. Great that it happened to the vile though!!  ;D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #368 on: December 08, 2018, 05:26:12 PM »
Some incredible posts on here. While the scores were level we controlled the game. The only reasons the scores weren't level were a huge double deflection and a worldie from 25 yards. While we were chasing the game Villa were able to create a few chances but couldn't put us away and in the end we more than deserved the point.

I'd have loved us to go ahead at any stage last night because we'd have picked them off at will. That imo is why we were actually unlucky last night as the run of the ball didn't allow us to get ahead at any time.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

alex1

• WBA Coach

Chairman Peace twitter
« Reply #369 on: December 08, 2018, 05:27:13 PM »
Anyone see Chairman Peace's twitter?

"Big thanks to @JackGrealish1 whose general shithousery and crying on the floor gave us enough injury time to score a phenomenally well taken equaliser. #WBA lovely stuff"

Brought a smile to my face. What goes around comes around, eh!

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #370 on: December 08, 2018, 05:32:58 PM »

As a former Steward myself let me tell you they are not bells. They are told what  they can let in the ground and what they can't all the decisions come down via radio from the control room.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #371 on: December 08, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »

Because there are rules and regulations to follow.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #372 on: December 08, 2018, 05:36:34 PM »
Whoever made this flag is a bit daft IMO. 

If he had done his research then Cyrille’s stint at Villa was no more than a footnote in his career.

Yet the flag had a massive Villa bias.

Is an Albion fan going to make a blue and white flag with Tony Morley’s picture on it at Villa Park, February?  No I thought not.

Looks totally respectful to me. Photo on the right is Cyrille in the Albion strip. He made over 50 appearances for the Villa and its clearly going to be in claret and blue as it is a villa fan who has done it.

Personally I dont see anything wrong with this. A none Albion fan paying his respects to the great man....
MAGA!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #373 on: December 08, 2018, 05:59:46 PM »

I've watched it half a dozen times. The danger is the shot at goal, Gibbs has to show more desire to stop that shot. If I have a criticism of Hegazi, he should've moved his body to meet the ball rather than allowing the ball to hit him but it shouldn't have got this far. Gibbs has to read the danger and stop the shot.

Gibbs has read the danger, if he steps up the ball is slipped in so he did what he could.  The person who hasn't read the danger is Hegazi who is ball watching.

You're blaming Gibbs even though he was put in an impossible position to mark two players.  Why didn't hegazi read the situation and step out to block the shot?

Put it this way, the shot wasn't closed down we can both agree on that.  Two players could have closed it down, one of them was covering the run in behind, the other got hit directly with the ball.  Its hegazis to close down every day. 

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

Re: Chairman Peace twitter
« Reply #374 on: December 08, 2018, 06:32:35 PM »
Wonderfully put but that’s what a private education and a job in the city gets you, class.