Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 676522 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #775 on: February 13, 2020, 06:48:01 PM »
"Fans" who have criticised Slaven this season need a head wobble. He's been outstanding. His signings and coaching have resulted in us playing coherent quality football. We went on a mentally amazing good run, then suffered with injuries, luck and the number of games over the New Year, now were picking up again. Top of the league, been fantastic so far. The posts from a couple of weeks back on him are nothing short than pant wetting and embarrassing. Sort of stuff I'd expect from teenagers addicted to their playstation.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #776 on: February 13, 2020, 07:07:15 PM »
Our upturn in form shows how we were too reliant on Diangana. When he was out the cutting edge was gone. Robinson and Grosicki have addressed this. Bilic has to be given credit for identifying this and doing something about it. We really need Gibbs though for the remainder of the season. He will make a big difference.

He's got to take the shirt off Townsend back first, has it stands he will have a wait.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #777 on: February 13, 2020, 07:14:58 PM »
How many weeks have we played this season so far?
How many weeks at the top?
Or top 2 position?

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #778 on: February 13, 2020, 07:23:50 PM »
"Fans" who have criticised Slaven this season need a head wobble. He's been outstanding. His signings and coaching have resulted in us playing coherent quality football. We went on a mentally amazing good run, then suffered with injuries, luck and the number of games over the New Year, now were picking up again. Top of the league, been fantastic so far. The posts from a couple of weeks back on him are nothing short than pant wetting and embarrassing. Sort of stuff I'd expect from teenagers addicted to their playstation.
Fans who use the term “head wobble” need to respect the thoughts of others with more dignity and maturity.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #779 on: February 13, 2020, 08:32:59 PM »
I’ve been critical of Bilic and I still have reservations but I didn’t call for him to be sacked and I didn’t see many that did.

Questions were rightly asked and none of the excuses such as injuries or the fixtures washed for me.

It’s great we’ve managed to turn a corner for now though and I hope Bilic goes on to do great things with us. Bigger tests  to come with Forrest and Bristol but cant knock 3 wins in 3.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #780 on: February 13, 2020, 08:44:58 PM »
Some are calling for perfection,were top of the league ffs.
Its not possible to get so much better is it?
If we were winning every game would that stop these " perfectionists" among us?
How perfect are they at their own jobs eh?
Nobody is perfect,beauty is in the eye of the beholder lads.
From Pulis to now is more than perfect for me thanks,its great football to watch,criticise if your in bottom 3 but not when were top,crikey.
Slaven gets it, I'm happy.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #781 on: February 13, 2020, 08:48:14 PM »
Fans who use the term “head wobble” need to respect the thoughts of others with more dignity and maturity.

No the people who need the head wobble know nothing about football. Probably the same people saying it was a joke to sack Moore. Look where we are now?

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #782 on: February 13, 2020, 08:56:35 PM »

No the people who need the head wobble know nothing about football. Probably the same people saying it was a joke to sack Moore. Look where we are now?

I agree. Some wanted Jimmy Shan appointed full time.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #783 on: February 13, 2020, 09:17:22 PM »
Never thought Moore should have been given the job but he was, is there any need to call him a clown?

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #784 on: February 13, 2020, 09:36:24 PM »

There’s nothing wrong with opinions, but just because people have differing ones doesn’t mean we have to start name calling...throwing insults and speakeking louder does not make people correct.

On the subject of Bilić ....every single person on the staff, players, manager , directors are all at the risk of critic...I don’t recall seeing much call to get rid, I do recall people (including myself) questioning some of the decisions,...I stand by everything I highlighted or questioned ....the fact that players, tactics, transfers were altered and introduced would actually show that there was a need for some change and usually change comes when mistakes have been made .
I’m an Albion fan, I want us to do well , I wish nothing but the very best to all of the Albion family, but my opinion is just as valid as the next man .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #785 on: February 13, 2020, 09:37:01 PM »

Still playing 4-3-3 ( last few games) and couple of positions below where we are now. If we found a suitable replacement for Barnes last season we would not be in this league. Same as Billic finding some decent players to replace Diangana has turned our season slump around.

It's a result driven business and Bilic was failing to deliver results. To suggest his above crtisiam because his not Darren Moore is laughable.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:41:34 PM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #786 on: February 13, 2020, 09:45:01 PM »
He's lost 4 games all season mate,and into the 5 th round,what more do you want?

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #787 on: February 13, 2020, 09:48:36 PM »
He's lost 4 games all season mate,and into the 5 th round,what more do you want?

Not a lot I'm enjoying our recent turn around. You?

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #788 on: February 13, 2020, 09:53:46 PM »
Nobody above criticism and billic took what he deserved during our blip. However he has recruited well the football we play is outrageous at times. He also turned a blip round sign of a good manager. Can he do the same in the next tier up I for one am interested to see.

If we get promoted we probably need to extend his contract he only has a 2 year deal doesnt he?
O Albion we love you

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #789 on: February 13, 2020, 09:59:04 PM »
Nobody above criticism and billic took what he deserved during our blip. However he has recruited well the football we play is outrageous at times. He also turned a blip round sign of a good manager. Can he do the same in the next tier up I for one am interested to see.

If we get promoted we probably need to extend his contract he only has a 2 year deal doesnt he?

Absolutely this. Next season will be very interesting.

Personally I think he will get us promoted now he has turned this blip around and made some decent signings.

BUT I'm worried these players will not cope in the prem with this system and he has not shown any inclination to change the system. Which cost him his job a West Ham.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #790 on: February 13, 2020, 10:36:24 PM »

Perfectly sums up how insane it is for any of our fans to be pointing any criticism at him. Just look back at this thread from a couple of week pre Luton. It’s embarrassing.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #791 on: February 13, 2020, 10:40:19 PM »
Absolutely this. Next season will be very interesting.

Personally I think he will get us promoted now he has turned this blip around and made some decent signings.

BUT I'm worried these players will not cope in the prem with this system and he has not shown any inclination to change the system. Which cost him his job a West Ham.

He'll need 6 new starters. Down to Dowling et al.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #792 on: February 13, 2020, 11:19:15 PM »
Perfectly sums up how insane it is for any of our fans to be pointing any criticism at him. Just look back at this thread from a couple of week pre Luton. It’s embarrassing.
There is a clear difference between pointing criticism and raising fair points.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #793 on: February 13, 2020, 11:29:35 PM »

I carefully chose the word foolishness to describe the actions of calling for the head of Bilic, because that is what it was, it was embarrassing, it was nonsense. After what our club has gone through in the last four years, his ability to turn the club into an entertaining and winning one is wonderful to see, a grimace has been replaced by a grin of those walking up to the shrine on match days, don't undervalue that.
Baggie in Southampton

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #794 on: February 13, 2020, 11:39:37 PM »
Pretty sure only 2 posters said he should be sacked. It's not up for debate he's doing a great job, but is he perfect? No.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #795 on: February 13, 2020, 11:47:40 PM »
We went 7 games without a league win, if that doesn't merit criticism I don't know what does. We weren't injury ravaged, we didn't have a really tough run of games. We finally won playing at home to the worst team in the league after a good transfer window.  Bilic has obviously done a great job this season but noone is above criticism.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #796 on: February 13, 2020, 11:51:33 PM »
Some good posts in this thread. Shame they’ve been removed due to swearing

Can we please start abiding by this?

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=24205.0

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #797 on: February 14, 2020, 06:37:52 AM »
We went 7 games without a league win, if that doesn't merit criticism I don't know what does. We weren't injury ravaged, we didn't have a really tough run of games. We finally won playing at home to the worst team in the league after a good transfer window.  Bilic has obviously done a great job this season but noone is above criticism.

But criticism is only due when there is negligence, making the odd team selection error should be understood because we all make mistakes don't we? Bilic has made far more great team call than selection errors, if indeed they were errors, as the thing we never really know is the stuff behind the scenes, minor illness, family upsets, training ground arguments,etc, why should we, team selection including substitutions, is the managers responsibility, its only revealed one hour before kick off for several obvious reasons.
Whilst its okay to suggest we should play an alternative player, its foolish to criticise player selection and team performance levels using phrases like 'lost the dressing room" and suggesting Bilic's removal.
Lets not beat about the bush, Bilic is the best manager we have had since Hodgson, he is not perfect (neither is Hodgson who was often criticised for his pragmatism), we should be backing him 100% because he is a breath of fresh air and when we criticise him, show some respect for what he has done for us delivering an entertaining and attacking team that on the whole, are a joy to watch.
Baggie in Southampton

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #798 on: February 14, 2020, 08:43:50 AM »
Coaches make mistakes and as such draw criticism which is fair enough. Winning always mutes criticism whereas losing amplifiies it five fold.

In general  my view is that too much of the burden of blame rests on the Head Coach's head. Plainly during the season the only thing a club can do to arrest a downturn in form is change the Head Coach, it is the only lever they have so it should be no surprise that clubs desperate to maintain or regain a league status pull that lever. Yet in many cases clubs cycle through coaches  sometimes at an alarming rate without really moving the dial.

The plain fact is football is a game which is subject to a huge degree of variance and no coach can ride the wave forever nor can they out perform the talent they have available over the long term. That is not to say coaches do not have an impact they dictate the style of play and work with players to make them better (this is the thing that does move the dial) although that process is neither instant nor does it always move in a straight line (players improve but in some instances also regress after an initial bounce)

Okay this is long winded of saying calling for a coach's dismissal on the back of a 7 game streak is bonkers particularly if that coach has a track record of success prior to that streak. In the Championship which is crazily competitive most teams will have a 7 game streak where they look like play-off contenders at least and one where they look more like relegation fodder. It is no surprise that Championship clubs turnover of managers is as brutal as it is.

Yet sticking with a coach does have a benefit if they are a good coach giving them a chance to work with a group of players reaps rewards in continuity we have seen this with Wilder, Farke and Frank all of whom have endured a poor 7 game streak. Bilic is a good coach he has earned the right to not be chased out of a club at the first sign of a downswing and the club might benefit from starting and finishing a season with the same Head Coach.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #799 on: February 14, 2020, 09:21:10 AM »
But criticism is only due when there is negligence, making the odd team selection error should be understood because we all make mistakes don't we? Bilic has made far more great team call than selection errors, if indeed they were errors, as the thing we never really know is the stuff behind the scenes, minor illness, family upsets, training ground arguments,etc, why should we, team selection including substitutions, is the managers responsibility, its only revealed one hour before kick off for several obvious reasons.
Whilst its okay to suggest we should play an alternative player, its foolish to criticise player selection and team performance levels using phrases like 'lost the dressing room" and suggesting Bilic's removal.
Lets not beat about the bush, Bilic is the best manager we have had since Hodgson, he is not perfect (neither is Hodgson who was often criticised for his pragmatism), we should be backing him 100% because he is a breath of fresh air and when we criticise him, show some respect for what he has done for us delivering an entertaining and attacking team that on the whole, are a joy to watch.
Does this mean, in your eyes, he has a job for life?
Sorry but it's absolute folly to suggest he is above criticism. What if we had lost the last 3, instead of won? We would now be sitting in 6th.
It's all well and good using hindsight, now that he has turned us around, but it is just that, hindsight. We had a bad run which warranted criticism, but, most of that criticism was to do with tactics, personnel, formation etc. which people who have been watching football for 30-40 years are more than capable of discussing, by the way, very little of it was actually suggesting Bilic should be sacked. As it turned out, he did what a lot were suggesting and tweaked the formation, freshened up the squad and it has worked.
Personally, I hope he is here for the long haul and creates a genuine legacy, because I really admire the man, but, make no bones about it, it is a results business and that will, ultimately, decide his fate, one way or the other. Continued success will mean he moves on to bigger things, failure will see him sacked.