Author Topic: Graeme Jones  (Read 48101 times)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Graeme Jones - Assistant Head Coach
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2019, 10:56:55 PM »
Looking back at previous posts, it seems that a lot of us weren't too sure of his appointment.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2019, 10:57:41 PM »
Sounds like...

Apparently....

No actual fact, yet it suits your view doesn’t it

It’s done. You can now start your vendetta on the next target.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2019, 02:20:16 AM »
If there is anything in this, I do feel sorry for Darren looks like a perfect storm is brewing, Hope it dissapates quickly
Head for the shelter... the storm has arrived!!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2019, 08:49:28 AM »
Sounds like...

Apparently....

No actual fact, yet it suits your view doesn’t it

It’s done. You can now start your vendetta on the next target.

No vendetta, I’m yet to see a poster EVER have anything good to say about Jones.  He comes across as a big head just because he was assistant to a very talented Belgium, WC semi Finalists.  Did he do much on the training pitch?  Was probably a distinct 2nd to Martinez.  We all know the meddling and interference was huge at B71.

Just feel DM should have stood up for himself.  He could’ve stated to Jenkins that Jones had too much power and influence.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2019, 09:57:19 AM »
No vendetta, I’m yet to see a poster EVER have anything good to say about Jones.  He comes across as a big head just because he was assistant to a very talented Belgium, WC semi Finalists.  Did he do much on the training pitch?  Was probably a distinct 2nd to Martinez.  We all know the meddling and interference was huge at B71.

Just feel DM should have stood up for himself.  He could’ve stated to Jenkins that Jones had too much power and influence.
I was surprised that either Moore or Jones came out and stated that one trains player's with ball and one without.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2019, 11:34:13 AM »
Looking at the earlier pages in this thread there was a lot of posivity about the appointment. It’s a funny old world.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2019, 12:03:35 PM »

I've never met him, I don't know him

I do know that the appointwas at the request of Moore so that was down to him to make it work
The Luton thing was a distraction and the feeling is that the two were not joined up on tactics

We move on
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2019, 09:05:56 PM »
According to John Percy there was friction behind the scenes with Jones and Dowling but Jones had already agreed to take over at Luton in June
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2019, 10:08:08 PM »
I think we should have let him go when Luton came in for him and get some compo for him instead of now having to pay him off.

It was reported that he was in charge of training when were in possession and it was obvious that wasn't working and was actually costing us results with stupid mistakes.

I had high hopes that he would have a extensive knowledge and database of European players having been assistant to rm at Belgium.

I'm sure we'll get his version of what happened on the Jim White talksport show soon as he is on there quite often, probably arranged by his agent to increase his profile which has now got him the rumoured Luton job.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2019, 10:48:54 PM »

the only reason he could had too much power and inffluence is if Moore allowed him to, some fans blaming Jones over Moore is ridiculous, Moore should have been stronger as a number one and not allowed his assistant to run the show.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2019, 11:30:32 PM »
the only reason he could had too much power and inffluence is if Moore allowed him to, some fans blaming Jones over Moore is ridiculous, Moore should have been stronger as a number one and not allowed his assistant to run the show.

I totally agree. If you think about any industry other than football you would not be blaming an assistant for the business failing but would pin it on the man st the top.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2019, 12:41:57 AM »
I don't believe that Jones' influence was undue. It is not untypical for an assistant to focus on one or more area's of the coaching and as has been pointed out Moore after all was the man in charge.

However there was always 2 problems. Firstly Jones' CV was much deeper than Moore's which could be construed rightly or wrongly that Jones was the power behind the throne. This is an inherent problem of appointing a rookie Head Coach either you surround him with equally inexperienced coaches (at first team level) or you appoint a surrogate Head Coach whose presence undermines the actual Head Coach.

The second aspect of this which is hugely unfortunate is because Jones has the deeper CV he will find it a lot easier to get back into the game and assistants don't quite share the same burden of blame if things go wrong so this sacking is less damaging for him than it is for Darren.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2019, 06:31:20 AM »

Darren is too nice. This is/was Darren's Achilles heel.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2019, 09:17:35 AM »
It appears Jones had allready agreed to take the Luton job before his recent departure from the Baggies
Now the disinformation fog starts to lift
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/03/11/luton-town-lined-up-graeme-jones-before-west-brom-axe/
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2019, 09:20:01 AM »
Would probably explain some of the players looking a little disinterested. It’s widely known Jones did a lot of the training work, guessing some of the players have switched off from him after knowing he was leaving at the end of the season anyway.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2019, 12:36:52 PM »
Never understood the Jones love in. He was Martinez no.2 and Martinez did the exact same things over and over at Wigan and Everton. Play out from back, attacking football with no focus on defensive structure...sound familiar?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »
Just too much flux!

players who have passed the point when they should have left,
players on loan,
Coaches who are already planning to leave,
A fledgling head coach,
A board with one aspiration which is a very hard one to achieve.

The club needs to BUILD a squad who can learn to play in a number of ways, ie adapt to the circumstances in front of them.
The present cycle of chopping and changing and going for the immediate fix will not work and it is a bad environment for younger players to develop in.

The cocktail is poisonous and needs throwing out.

I don't care if the next coach is experienced or has a history of promotion, the job at B71 is far bigger than promotion, the whole club needs educating about delivering progress, from Mr Lai to the academy. Willl it happen? Of course not, the financial pressure will be too great.

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2019, 06:27:03 PM »
On a flight home from Malaga and guess who just got the plane. Will try and have a word during the flight
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2019, 07:20:00 PM »
On a flight home from Malaga and guess who just got the plane. Will try and have a word during the flight

That could be interesting

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2019, 04:31:17 PM »
I’m sorry I haven’t posted further on the brief encounter with Graeme Jones.

We were on the same Ryanair flight from Malaga to Birmingham on Friday, 22nd March. I was sitting on the front row of seats and,  to be perfectly honest, I was so surprised and taken aback by seeing him boarding, I rather made a fool of myself, by saying "hello Graeme sorry it didn’t work out for you, can I take a photo?" I then fumbled with my iPone to the camera app and, for some reason, it wouldn’t open, he was very understanding, amicable and accommodating, but as I was holding up boarding and the cabin crew were looking daggers at me he said, "we’ll catch up when we land".

He did come past me to go to the toilet, he said hello and smiled. By the time we had landed, I had bethought myself and considered it wasn’t appropriate to “buttonhole” whilst he was on “holiday” with his wife. So, I didn’t approach him after that.

A bit of a let down I know but I didn’t want to compromise him nor did I want to intrude on his privacy.

So, sorry for any let down.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »
Is it confirmed that he is taking over Luton?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2019, 03:54:49 PM »
Will be appointed Luton manager on Monday according to Sky
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2019, 04:24:46 PM »
Will be appointed Luton manager on Monday according to Sky

We'll get to welcome him back here next season then. At least we will know that we need to press high against Luton when we play them as the goalkeeper and defenders pass it along the goal line.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2019, 11:03:28 PM »
Why do Luton need a new manager after the achievements of this season?

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2019, 11:46:32 PM »
Why do Luton need a new manager after the achievements of this season?
It’s called planning ahead. Without or without promotion, it looks like they’d arranged for Jones to be in place for next season. Risky? For sure...but they’ve stuck to their guns. It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.