Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 670552 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #4200 on: April 15, 2022, 09:41:30 AM »
A few thoughts.

Is Sam Johnstone the best goalkeeper currently on our books? I think he is. Is he fully focused on what's best for West Bromwich Albion at this stage of his contract? I have no way of knowing without asking him but I suspect his mind is elsewhere and has been for quite some time.

Have his performances had a positive effect on our results of late? I only pose myself this question as I don't recall any Premier League quality performances from Sam for quite sometime, so comparisons to his previous levels are of little relevance to the here and now.

Has he directly cost us a number of goals and has he been part of a defensive collective which has been an absolute shambles at times? Definitely. Is being the debatably best goalkeeper currently on our books (based on history) a reason for his continued selection? No and he appears to want out, so even if it were for that alone, I want to see what else his peers can offer.

One of his peers is playing for a contract. The other has a contract but would be playing for a future with us. Do I think Sam's presence in goal would strengthen our efforts by a significant margin? No I don't, and that's because I don't feel our current options would leave us significantly weaker either.

Bye Sam'.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4201 on: April 15, 2022, 02:00:24 PM »
A few thoughts.

Is Sam Johnstone the best goalkeeper currently on our books? I think he is. Is he fully focused on what's best for West Bromwich Albion at this stage of his contract? I have no way of knowing without asking him but I suspect his mind is elsewhere and has been for quite some time.

Have his performances had a positive effect on our results of late? I only pose myself this question as I don't recall any Premier League quality performances from Sam for quite sometime, so comparisons to his previous levels are of little relevance to the here and now.

Has he directly cost us a number of goals and has he been part of a defensive collective which has been an absolute shambles at times? Definitely. Is being the debatably best goalkeeper currently on our books (based on history) a reason for his continued selection? No and he appears to want out, so even if it were for that alone, I want to see what else his peers can offer.

One of his peers is playing for a contract. The other has a contract but would be playing for a future with us. Do I think Sam's presence in goal would strengthen our efforts by a significant margin? No I don't, and that's because I don't feel our current options would leave us significantly weaker either.

Bye Sam'.

Is it really annoying when someone asks themselves questions then answers them? Yes.

I’m only joking but you could easily land yourself a job at Sky Sports talking like that.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4202 on: April 15, 2022, 02:34:32 PM »
So after a quiet few months, the Johnstone haters are back. An England international, a regular under 5 managers yet according to these experts he’s useless. Player of the season last year, with Periera the only players come out of last season with any credit - if future keepers are judged to the same standards this site will be in perpetual meltdown.
I have never gone away mate! I don't hate him i just know he ain't a very good keeper,  i saw him in his first game for us and said after that game he ain't no good, he as done nothing in his career at the Albion to convince me otherwise.  As for the England argument Southgate gives out caps like giving out sweets, so that doesn't old water with me either. 

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4203 on: April 15, 2022, 07:20:06 PM »
We were so much weaker today without SJ 😂😂😂

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4204 on: April 16, 2022, 03:53:01 PM »
Sam Johnson isn't the only one who is too casual with the ball at his feet in the penalty box that leads to a soft goal.

Just saying  8)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4205 on: April 16, 2022, 04:28:27 PM »
Sam Johnson isn't the only one who is too casual with the ball at his feet in the penalty box that leads to a soft goal.

Just saying  8)

It doesn't make Sam Johnstone's more headwobble brain fart moments any more acceptable though. Fashionable? Arguably (apparently). Acceptable? No. Just saying  ;D .

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4206 on: July 01, 2022, 03:28:55 PM »
The end of an error!  Finally it's official, he's gone. After a fight between...almost nobody, he has taken his only option (it seems).

No doubt when Parish asked him to sign the contract, he stepped back 3 yards and asked him to throw it and tried to catch it as it went past.

Wages nicely reinvested in Wallace, a smart move by us, even if we had little choice.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4207 on: July 01, 2022, 03:44:21 PM »
And gone to potentially sit on the bench  :-X
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4208 on: July 01, 2022, 09:28:04 PM »
I for one won’t be shedding a tear now that he’s signed elsewhere. Gave me the jitters every time the ball went near him .

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4209 on: July 01, 2022, 10:30:09 PM »
Ok! I’ve been waiting years to post this. As soon as we signed him, he reminded me of someone else. Can someone of more ability than I, please give me the pleasure of others being able to view the video of `Wonderful Life’ by Hurts. The likeness, and doing nothing while there is so much going on around him, is uncanny. And the final lyric of ‘don’t let go’, is spooky. Watch it. If only for the lovely ladies.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4210 on: July 01, 2022, 11:45:56 PM »
Happy he has gone to be honest im annoyed we didnt cash in. But wages have hopefully been put to better use.
O Albion we love you

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4211 on: July 02, 2022, 08:55:24 AM »
Awful goalkeeper for the price and wages we paid him. One good season when there was no fans, even Leeds away with fans he made a mistake. Good riddance

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4212 on: July 02, 2022, 09:13:41 AM »
Thank you for your service to West Bromwich Albion, Sam.

Good luck at your new club and I wish you every success
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4213 on: July 02, 2022, 09:56:56 AM »
Ok! I’ve been waiting years to post this. As soon as we signed him, he reminded me of someone else. Can someone of more ability than I, please give me the pleasure of others being able to view the video of `Wonderful Life’ by Hurts. The likeness, and doing nothing while there is so much going on around him, is uncanny. And the final lyric of ‘don’t let go’, is spooky. Watch it. If only for the lovely ladies.

Eminently more watchable than Sam Johnstone was or ever will be. From some of those dance moves I'd suggest they've got better ball handling skills too. But could they do it on a wet and windy Tuesday night in Stoke? Very probably.