Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 647179 times)

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #875 on: January 10, 2017, 04:56:01 PM »
He looked massive on the highlights

A first team player with tons of experience in the Premier League scoring twice against some u-23's...yes he must be back to his best  :-X

He doesnt look in shape to me whatsoever

And what's that got to do with my comment just because saido played and your not happy about it?  ::)

Does it really hurt you that much to see him in a baggie shirt?  :o

He may not look in shape to you, but luckily we have professionals at the club judging the players on fitness and shape etc and not you.

He was called into the squad for that game, he played, ran his backside off for 90mins (according to atleast 2 people ive seen put on here), he got a couple goals... there's no negative there but there's still people like you that only has negative things to say? what a complete joke.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #876 on: January 10, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »

A first team player with tons of experience in the Premier League scoring twice against some u-23's...yes he must be back to his best  :-X

this was confirmed by somebody i know who went, his words.................he didnt look very f.......g slim to me !!!!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #877 on: January 10, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »

Where were the highlights out of interest?

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #878 on: January 10, 2017, 06:26:21 PM »
Under 23 highlights on the website now

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #879 on: January 10, 2017, 06:26:38 PM »
Where were the highlights out of interest?
You can see them on the official club website.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #880 on: January 10, 2017, 06:42:14 PM »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #881 on: January 10, 2017, 06:45:34 PM »
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2017/01/10/tony-pulis-turns-up-west-brom-heat-on-rekeem-harper/

"Tony Pulis has urged Albion’s promising youngster Rekeem Harper to take off his gloves and roll up his sleeves.

The Baggies boss has been hugely impressed with the talent he’s found being nurtured in the academy and has already given minutes on the pitch this season to Sam Field, 18, Jonathan Leko, 17, and Kane Wilson, 16.

He named Field, Wilson and 16-year-old Harper on the bench for Saturday’s FA Cup tie with Derby County.

Although none of them were used, Pulis is eager for all three to taste men’s football this season and hopes to send them out on loan.

Harper is just the latest teenager to catch the eye in training.

He first travelled to an away game with the squad in November when the Baggies beat Leicester City at the King Power Stadium, and then he was named on the bench for December’s home win over Swansea.

A former striker, he has been converted to a dynamic box-to-box midfielder versatile enough to play a holding role or behind the striker if required.

Pulis believes Harper has the skill-set necessary to succeed, but now he’s challenged the young midfielder to show some grit and determination to match it.

“Rek has done fantastic,” said Pulis. “He’s a young midfield player who is only 16, but he’s got all the tools to be a player. He’s another one who’s got to take his gloves off and get his hands dirty. Find out what it’s all about.

“As I keep saying, academy football is not just about developing your skills, it’s about learning your trade.

“You don’t learn your trade by having your gloves on all the time and not going out and getting cold.”

Pulis reckons the best way to do that is to go out on loan to lower league clubs and taste men’s football in a pressurised environment.

He’s hoping the club will do enough business in January to allow him to send the youngsters out on loan.

“If we can bring players in then maybe (we can loan them out),” he said. “At the moment those players are training with us.

“We had three youngsters on the bench on Saturday. If we can get the group that we want, it gives us the option for us to get them out.

“I am really keen to get those kids playing; Sam, Kane and Rekeem.”

Albion have recalled forwards Tyler Roberts, 17, from Oxford United; Tahvon Campbell, 19, from Yeovil Town and Andre Wright, 20, from Coventry, and now plan to find them new clubs.

Defender Kyle Howkins, 20, has remained at League Two Mansfield Town and played 90 minutes in their 3-0 win over Crewe on Saturday.

Shaun Donnellan, 19, came off the bench for National League side Dagenham & Redbridge in the 89th minute."

Hadn't seen this posted. Would rather Leko stay and get game time but if it's sit on the bench or play in the Championship or League One, then I wouldn't mind them going out on loan.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #882 on: January 10, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2017/01/10/tony-pulis-turns-up-west-brom-heat-on-rekeem-harper/

"Tony Pulis has urged Albion’s promising youngster Rekeem Harper to take off his gloves and roll up his sleeves.

The Baggies boss has been hugely impressed with the talent he’s found being nurtured in the academy and has already given minutes on the pitch this season to Sam Field, 18, Jonathan Leko, 17, and Kane Wilson, 16.

He named Field, Wilson and 16-year-old Harper on the bench for Saturday’s FA Cup tie with Derby County.

Although none of them were used, Pulis is eager for all three to taste men’s football this season and hopes to send them out on loan.

Harper is just the latest teenager to catch the eye in training.

He first travelled to an away game with the squad in November when the Baggies beat Leicester City at the King Power Stadium, and then he was named on the bench for December’s home win over Swansea.

A former striker, he has been converted to a dynamic box-to-box midfielder versatile enough to play a holding role or behind the striker if required.

Pulis believes Harper has the skill-set necessary to succeed, but now he’s challenged the young midfielder to show some grit and determination to match it.

“Rek has done fantastic,” said Pulis. “He’s a young midfield player who is only 16, but he’s got all the tools to be a player. He’s another one who’s got to take his gloves off and get his hands dirty. Find out what it’s all about.

“As I keep saying, academy football is not just about developing your skills, it’s about learning your trade.

“You don’t learn your trade by having your gloves on all the time and not going out and getting cold.”

Pulis reckons the best way to do that is to go out on loan to lower league clubs and taste men’s football in a pressurised environment.

He’s hoping the club will do enough business in January to allow him to send the youngsters out on loan.

“If we can bring players in then maybe (we can loan them out),” he said. “At the moment those players are training with us.

“We had three youngsters on the bench on Saturday. If we can get the group that we want, it gives us the option for us to get them out.

“I am really keen to get those kids playing; Sam, Kane and Rekeem.”

Albion have recalled forwards Tyler Roberts, 17, from Oxford United; Tahvon Campbell, 19, from Yeovil Town and Andre Wright, 20, from Coventry, and now plan to find them new clubs.

Defender Kyle Howkins, 20, has remained at League Two Mansfield Town and played 90 minutes in their 3-0 win over Crewe on Saturday.

Shaun Donnellan, 19, came off the bench for National League side Dagenham & Redbridge in the 89th minute."

Hadn't seen this posted. Would rather Leko stay and get game time but if it's sit on the bench or play in the Championship or League One, then I wouldn't mind them going out on loan.

Would imagine Leko is the only one good enough for regular Championship football, League 2 is fine for the rest of them at 16 and 17.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #883 on: January 10, 2017, 07:43:08 PM »
And what's that got to do with my comment just because saido played and your not happy about it?  ::)

He may not look in shape to you, but luckily we have professionals at the club judging the players on fitness and shape etc and not you.

He was called into the squad for that game, he played, ran his backside off for 90mins (according to atleast 2 people ive seen put on here), he got a couple goals... there's no negative there but there's still people like you that only has negative things to say? what a complete joke.
He is a horrible fat f--- who should never have been allowed to put the shirt on again. In my opinion by letting him do so the club are taking the mick out of the fans!

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #884 on: January 10, 2017, 07:49:09 PM »
Should not be allowed anywhere near the Hawthorns and no it doesn`t hurt 

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #885 on: January 10, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »
He is a horrible fat f--- who should never have been allowed to put the shirt on again. In my opinion by letting him do so the club are taking the mick out of the fans!

I agree. He has absolutely no respect for West Bromwich Albion so why should we have any respect for him. As it seems we have a good crop of youngsters progressing nicely at the moment both in our under 23 set up and out on loan doing well, the last thing we need is for these youngsters to have their heads turned and be influenced by Berahino. He is no example to set, he should be nowhere near our under 23 side.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #886 on: January 10, 2017, 10:59:26 PM »
Should not be allowed anywhere near the Hawthorns and no it doesn`t hurt

Sounds like it  ;)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #887 on: January 10, 2017, 11:56:36 PM »

You are right I can't stand him, can't stand seeing him in an Albion top absolutely not

Pulis also agrees he is not in shape so the club don't think he is fit either where have you been the last 6 months it's common knowledge

I'm an allowed an opinion so I'll state it, this is what the forum is for

Does it hurt you that much that I don't like him??

Your rolling eyes stating that it must be an error he's too fat and can't score has everything to do with my reply....

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #888 on: January 11, 2017, 01:32:49 AM »
You are right I can't stand him, can't stand seeing him in an Albion top absolutely not

Pulis also agrees he is not in shape so the club don't think he is fit either where have you been the last 6 months it's common knowledge

I'm an allowed an opinion so I'll state it, this is what the forum is for

Does it hurt you that much that I don't like him??

Your rolling eyes stating that it must be an error he's too fat and can't score has everything to do with my reply....

So your p*ssed off because he played and scored yet you say he can't play because he's too fat and can't score?

Cue the 'it's u21's he should score, he's fat, I hate him, I want him out our club...' comments...  ;D

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #889 on: January 11, 2017, 09:25:04 AM »
So your p*ssed off because he played and scored yet you say he can't play because he's too fat and can't score?

Cue the 'it's u21's he should score, he's fat, I hate him, I want him out our club...' comments...  ;D

Just a thought, how much money has TP knocked off the value Sadio by saying he's not fit against saying he's fit but i don't want to play him.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #890 on: January 11, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »
To be honest I don`t care if he`s fit or not to me he will never be fit enough to wear a Baggies  shirt again  in my eye`s. Arn`t we the club who for 10 year`s got him to level of getting in the England squad and playing premier league football and what does he do throw`s is dummy out the pram because he can`t get his own way with  a move that at the time was not right for club.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #891 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:14 AM »
Gents if you want to talk about Berahino in more depth there's a thread for him.

Let's keep this thread to the current batch of Academy players

He/him

bartleygreen baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #892 on: January 11, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
Stourbridge central defender Dan Scarr is training with West Brom’s U23s.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #893 on: January 11, 2017, 05:33:20 PM »
why call them u23s. much prefer the central league
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #894 on: January 11, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »
Here you go if you haven't seen them yet.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/villa-albion-hepburn-saido-berahino--12434206

The quality of football in that game was awful! They really need to sort out some proper competitive stuff for the youngsters to do, know wonder hardly any make it through in the premier league. Agree Saido looks huge, his first miss sums him up.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #895 on: January 12, 2017, 09:05:13 AM »
The quality of football in that game was awful! They really need to sort out some proper competitive stuff for the youngsters to do, know wonder hardly any make it through in the premier league. Agree Saido looks huge, his first miss sums him up.

He does look big agreed but he takes his two goals well.

The goal keeping for Villas second is appalling too.

mrvulgarity

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #896 on: January 12, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
actually two decent strikes, good composure. OK the standard isnt the same but the lad still has to put them in, and he does.

His first miss was shocking but testament to lack of confidence tbh

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #897 on: January 12, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »
Close mate of mine is a Mansfield season ticket holder and he is absolutely raving about Kyle Howkins. Says he is too good for them and looks like he should be playing at a higher level. Absolute rock in centre of defence. His words not mine.

http://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30610

Kyle Howkins has now signed a new two and a half year contract with us.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2017/01/12/young-defender-kyle-howkins-signs-new-west-brom-contract/
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #898 on: January 17, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
Not sure if mentioned elsewhere, but Tyler Roberts has gone on loan to league 1 Shrewsbury until the end of the season. Hope he does well, I only hear good things about him.

http://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/10732276/west-brom-striker-tyler-roberts-joins-shrewsbury-on-loan

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #899 on: January 19, 2017, 01:45:04 PM »
Andre Wright's loan move to Yeovil has been cancelled due to playing for two clubs already this season :

West Bromwich Albion have criticised "unclear" rules for the EFL Trophy after striker Andre Wright's loan move to Yeovil Town fell through.

The 20-year-old played for West Brom's Under-21 side in the EFL Trophy in August before a loan spell at Coventry.

His move to Yeovil for the rest of the season had been announced on Tuesday.

But players can only appear for two clubs in one season and West Brom say the EFL deems the Trophy game to be a first-team fixture.

"It's a great shame because it would have been another excellent development opportunity for Andre," Albion director of football administration Richard Garlick told the club website.

"At the time of Andre's Trophy appearance, the rules were unclear regarding whether this was designated a first-team or Under-23 match. We had not had the approach from Coventry at that point."

A statement from Yeovil said they were "disappointed to miss out on the opportunity to work with Wright but wish him all the best for the remainder of the season".

An EFL spokesman told BBC Sport that the Trophy has "always been" a first-team competition and therefore subject to Fifa regulations.

"Therefore, the EFL has no option but to reject the registration for non-compliance, but shares the frustration of both clubs," he added.

What do the Fifa rules say?

Section five, clause three of Fifa's regulation on status and transfer of players states: "Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season. During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs.

"As an exception to this rule, a player moving between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (i.e. start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring) may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season, provided he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs."