Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 646125 times)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #650 on: January 14, 2016, 10:31:05 AM »
Tyler Roberts has signed a professional contract with the club:

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/albion-west-brom-tyler-roberts-professional-contract-2900604.aspx

Academy scholar has been with Baggies for 10 years

TYLER Roberts has taken the next step in his blossoming Albion career - signing his first-ever professional Baggies contract.

The Academy scholar, who celebrated his 17th birthday on Tuesday, has put pen to paper on a two-and-a-half-year deal, committing his future to The Hawthorns until summer 2018.

He has been with the Club since he was seven.

Roberts has twice been named in the matchday squad, for last season's fixture against Arsenal and the recent home clash with Stoke.

The youngster spoke of his delight, but was also quick to thank the staff who had nurtured and coached him during the last 10 years.

On signing the new deal, Roberts said: "It feels wonderful. It's something I've been working towards since I was seven. To have finally got here is an immense feeling.

"Finally having that sense of achievement is good and being on the bench a couple of times was a great experience for me too.

"We have some great coaches at Academy level. Whether it was doing individual work, advice, coaching...they've been amazing."

Roberts claims his best role is as a 'No.9' or as a wide player.

Asked about the advice he had been given by Academy staff, Roberts continued: "They told me to use this as a stepping stone. To not settle for this, but push myself on and become a regular in the first-team squad.

"I was told to keep doing what I'm doing. If I do then maybe the chances will come. I thank them and also my family."

Academy Manager Mark Harrison praised Roberts' achievement, before challenging him to continue his progress.

"It is a fantastic that we are able to reward a player who has been with us for so many years," he said. "He now becomes a role model for all the kids who start their journey with us.

"Tyler has done it through hard work, perseverance and with support from his family.

"But hopefully this is only a milestone in his journey - Tyler needs to see this as a platform to becoming a regular member of the first-team squad."

Tony Pulis also laid down his own challenges for the youngster, who trained with Wales' senior squad last summer.

"I'm delighted for the lad. He’s a wonderful player, a wonderful talent," said Pulis.

"But this is the first step. What he can't do now is relax or take any steps back. He has to keep striving to improve."

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #651 on: January 14, 2016, 10:36:37 AM »
Congratulations on your first pro' contract Tyler.

Genuinely hope you have a wonderful career and score plenty of goals for the Baggies.
 8).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #652 on: January 14, 2016, 10:37:11 AM »
Great, there does seem to more positivity around the club at the minute, hopefully he will get some minutes on the pitch before the end of the season.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #653 on: January 14, 2016, 10:49:20 AM »
well done son, we need an example fro the academy for others to emulate,

(sadly someone else has not been the example we hoped for, learn from his mistakes and you will not be far off.)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #654 on: January 14, 2016, 10:51:24 AM »
Great news, by all accounts he is very highly rated.

Whether its Roberts, Nabi or one of the younger lads can get some first team action this season it will be a huge boost for the academy as following from Berahino, if we have another youngster involved this season the top players in our younger age groups will see there is a path to the first team and although money talks, it may mean we dont lose players to the big boys.

Realistically we probably need 12 points to stay up and there are 17 games left, you would hope we would comfortable by March time so there will be no better time to blood some youngsters.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #655 on: January 14, 2016, 10:56:02 AM »
Great news, by all accounts he is very highly rated.

Whether its Roberts, Nabi or one of the younger lads can get some first team action this season it will be a huge boost for the academy as following from Berahino, if we have another youngster involved this season the top players in our younger age groups will see there is a path to the first team and although money talks, it may mean we dont lose players to the big boys.

Realistically we probably need 12 points to stay up and there are 17 games left, you would hope we would comfortable by March time so there will be no better time to blood some youngsters.

Agreed, just looked at the fixtures and would like to think we would be safe by March with home games against Villa , Swansea and Palace, and some winnable aways. Soon as we hit that magical 40 , it's time to get Nabi and Roberts invo;ved
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #656 on: January 14, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »
Agreed, just looked at the fixtures and would like to think we would be safe by March with home games against Villa , Swansea and Palace, and some winnable aways. Soon as we hit that magical 40 , it's time to get Nabi and Roberts invo;ved

Through pure maths, I'm hoping we pass the 40 points mark after around 31/32 games, so that's gives us 6 or so games to A) Try to get as high up the table as possible, and b) Blood some of the youngsters into the team

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #657 on: January 14, 2016, 03:20:20 PM »

Love the sentiment, but isn't every place in the table worth about £1,5m ??
Now put your JP / TP head on and think, +1.5M towards transfer budget or give the kid a run out ?

Answers on a postcard to

Give me the money Tony
c/o Jeremy Peace
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #658 on: January 14, 2016, 04:30:19 PM »
Now put your JP / TP head on and think, +1.5M towards transfer budget or give the kid a run out ?

Answers on a postcard to

Give me the money Tony
c/o Jeremy Peace

I don't think it needs to be so black and white. We can aim for higher places while still giving youngsters a taste of first team action. THey don't need to start, but just giving them 10 minutes is better than nothing.

In the case of Roberts, he says he's a no.9 or wide player. Is bringing him on when we are chasing a game really going to be detrimental? It's not like he has two left feet - he's clearly rated for a reason!

He/him

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #659 on: January 14, 2016, 04:52:35 PM »
In a team sport, with 11 players on the pitch, there should always be enough in the team to accommodate a developing player. The only position this may not be possible is GK.

These are professional footballers, its not like you chucking in a bloke from the pub. If it isn't working out on the pitch that day, then substitute him.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #660 on: January 14, 2016, 05:10:41 PM »
If some posters are to be believed, we carry Lambert when he plays. How would Roberts be any different? :P

He/him

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #661 on: January 14, 2016, 07:04:53 PM »
If some posters are to be believed, we carry Lambert when he plays. How would Roberts be any different? :P
Roberts world be much easier to carry if it came to it, he weighs half as much!!   :D

devonbaggiecjaj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #662 on: January 14, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »

Answers on a postcard to

Give me the money Tony
c/o Jeremy Peace

If one of those kids prove they can hack it in the prem by getting playing time then one less transfer needed maybe. JP would like that

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #663 on: January 15, 2016, 07:34:58 PM »
Does anyone on here go watch the u21s regular?
West Bromwich Born, Greets Green Bred

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #664 on: January 15, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »
Does anyone on here go watch the u21s regular?
Do you still play for the under 11's? Mate? :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #665 on: January 17, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »
I'm surprised for such a talent he hasn't signed a much longer contract?

Has leko signed a contract yet?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #666 on: January 17, 2016, 05:00:14 PM »
I'm surprised for such a talent he hasn't signed a much longer contract?

Has leko signed a contract yet?
don't think Leko is "of age" yet.

For Albion the deal allows them to review the situation when he's 19 or 20, if hes either failed to reach the expectation and released or matched/surpassed it and offered improved terms. I thinks its kind of a good move, shows the club feel he should be doing something by then.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #667 on: January 17, 2016, 05:15:17 PM »

Answers on a postcard to

Give me the money Tony
c/o Jeremy Peace

I would hope we could afford to give him a few ten minute cameo's here and there.

He'll learn a lot more in that ten minutes than he will faffing about in the under 21s league.

I would also hope we're looking to start blooding him in the lower leagues with a loan move. Playing in that sort of intensity will also be more beneficial than a non-competitive reserve league.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tennant1wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #668 on: January 17, 2016, 05:39:52 PM »
is nabi back at the albion know ??
we all hate wolves scum 💩

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #669 on: January 17, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »
is nabi back at the albion know ??

Yep, Adil is back and played last week in the U21's against Arsenal though never really shined. The guy that looked to have a bit of quality was Roberts - i'd be tempted to have him on the bench Tuesday. Leko showed some nice touched but no real end product.

Nabi also has two brothers with us - Samir, aged 18, and Rahis, 16 though not sure how highly they are rated.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #670 on: January 17, 2016, 06:36:05 PM »
Yep, Adil is back and played last week in the U21's against Arsenal though never really shined. The guy that looked to have a bit of quality was Roberts - i'd be tempted to have him on the bench Tuesday. Leko showed some nice touched but no real end product.

Nabi also has two brothers with us - Samir, aged 18, and Rahis, 16 though not sure how highly they are rated.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Samir is the highly rated one out of them

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #671 on: January 18, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »
Adil Nabi just scored again for the under 21s against Hull in the PL cup , whats hd got to do to get a domestic loan ?!

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #672 on: January 18, 2016, 08:30:47 PM »
West Bromwich Albion ‏@WBAFCofficial 22s23 seconds ago

GOAL. Albion U21 1 (A Nabi 48) Hull City U21 2 (Rodgers 58, Olley 68) in the @premierleague Cup #WBA

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #673 on: January 18, 2016, 08:34:52 PM »
I don't know why we're keeping Nabi, Pulis seems to have no interest in using him what with having a 16 year old Roberts on the bench ahead of him last season, and he's presumably not going to be playing in the FA cup game if he's playing tonight. Can't exactly play they youth card, he's 22 next month. Seems best for everyone to let him leave and maybe he can work his way back up like Roofe is doing. Otherwise we're keeping him essentially to be a professional reserve.

Though on a Nabi related note his youngest brother Rahis Nabi was named in the England under 17 squad last week along with Jonathan Leko. Considering Leko's not in the squad tonight I'm guessing he'll be on the bench tomorrow (unless he's injured).

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #674 on: January 18, 2016, 09:59:11 PM »
Adil Nabi just scored again for the under 21s against Hull in the PL cup , whats hd got to do to get a domestic loan ?!
lets put him on the bench and send lambert on loan.