Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 647258 times)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #575 on: May 26, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »
Do you mean Wales by any chance ? Looks like he's been invited to train with them without actually being named in the squad.

I wonder if the Jack Grealish situation has prompted this and they want to try and tie him down as I think TR can play for England as well.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #576 on: May 26, 2015, 01:46:06 PM »
I wonder if the Jack Grealish situation has prompted this and they want to try and tie him down as I think TR can play for England as well.

I would say this is almost certainly the case, apparently he was called up by both England and Wales at underage levels and chose Wales. They did the same with a player called Harry Wilson a couple of years back, capped him at 16 in the last couple of minutes then dropped him back down the age groups again.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #577 on: May 26, 2015, 02:55:37 PM »
I would say this is almost certainly the case, apparently he was called up by both England and Wales at underage levels and chose Wales. They did the same with a player called Harry Wilson a couple of years back, capped him at 16 in the last couple of minutes then dropped him back down the age groups again.
Correct about Wilson. It should come down to the player choosing the country they feel they belong to. Hopefully, (in my eyes) that would be Wales and he'd have a better chance of an international future and at a time when Wales should have a half decent team which can be built around Ramsey and Bale for at least the next 6 or 7 years.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #578 on: May 27, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »
There's an article on the newfeed, which sadly I can't paste into here as my computer is playing up, but it's by Bill Howell (yes, I know....) and in it he states that Leko and Tyler Roberts are being kept at the club, as Albion are confident that they have closed loopholes which saw previous kids leave.

Apparently the top four, plus Spurs and Liverpool have shown interest, but Pulis has spoken to the kdis and said he intends to get them involved in teams next season.

I'll be much happier once they are both 17 and have signed proepr forms, but following on from previous posts I am happy to see the club taking strides in this regard.

I'm personally not that surprised, as the guy who runs the accademy (Hopcroft is it?) retweeted someone I wrote on the WBA official page about us trying to keep our new promissing kids from Chelski and L'pool. I doubt he'd have done that if we looked like we'd be losing them as he'd just look a wolly then?!

Anyway, glad to see steps are being taken and I hope one or both can make the step up in the next season, even if only a couple of sub games like Saido in his first season. 
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #579 on: May 27, 2015, 12:29:39 PM »
There's an article on the newfeed, which sadly I can't paste into here as my computer is playing up, but it's by Bill Howell (yes, I know....) and in it he states that Leko and Tyler Roberts are being kept at the club, as Albion are confident that they have closed loopholes which saw previous kids leave.

Here you go Knave, read it earlier.
Let's just hope it has more basis than most of the utter puerile tripe that he writes.
 ;).

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-youngsters-tyler-roberts-9336316
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #580 on: May 27, 2015, 12:55:30 PM »
If I remember correctly, Saido arrived on the scene with a few goals vs Newport in the League Cup, and kicked on from there. I think the first round we're in (2nd round?) should be treated the same for these young players. They need to show the fans, and TP, what they can do.

He/him

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #581 on: May 27, 2015, 04:03:29 PM »
Unless Nabi is sent on loan somewhere, I would think he'd be first in the queue for 1st round of the capital one cup. If he's not given opportunity next year then we may as well have let him go now.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #582 on: May 28, 2015, 04:31:44 PM »
There's a video on Facebook from the official WBA account of a highlights reel of Tyler Roberts. Couple of very, very good goals. The one he brings down on his chest, then a touch, then a volley - lovely.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpZO6H3zZE&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:35:18 PM by MarkW »

He/him

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #583 on: May 28, 2015, 06:13:42 PM »
He certainly scores some good goals.

Be interesting too see how he develops

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #584 on: May 28, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »

Apparently the top four, plus Spurs and Liverpool have shown interest, but Pulis has spoken to the kdis and said he intends to get them involved in teams next season.

I'll be much happier once they are both 17 and have signed proepr forms, but following on from previous posts I am happy to see the club taking strides in this regard.

I'm personally not that surprised, as the guy who runs the accademy (Hopcroft is it?) retweeted someone I wrote on the WBA official page about us trying to keep our new promissing kids from Chelski and L'pool. I doubt he'd have done that if we looked like we'd be losing them as he'd just look a wolly then?!

Anyway, glad to see steps are being taken and I hope one or both can make the step up in the next season, even if only a couple of sub games like Saido in his first season.
I wouldn't take much notice of Hopcroft, he was academy manager when I was at Blues as a kid, didn't come across too well. He's gone back and forth between positions at Albion and Blues over the last ten years. Anyway from what I can see at the minute we probably have the best academy in the midlands currently and hopefully we can stop so many of our youngsters being poached.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #585 on: May 29, 2015, 12:01:14 AM »
I believe Mark Harrison is academy manager with Hopcroft as head of academy recruitment or something like that.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #586 on: May 29, 2015, 07:30:37 PM »
This isn't U 21's, but is related to the youth team

Our U 15's are part of a tournament in Greece right know, we have just come second in our group and we will face Manchest City in the next round (first in their group) at 3:20pm British time. It will be streamed live on this website.

http://elite.neoncup.gr/en/home/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:36:40 PM by Hunnington Baggie »

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #587 on: May 29, 2015, 11:00:30 PM »
This isn't U 21's, but is related to the youth team

Our U 15's are part of a tournament in Greece right know, we have just come second in our group and we will face Manchest City in the next round (first in their group) at 17:20 tomorrow (I don't know if it's Greek time or British time). It will be streamed live on this website.

http://elite.neoncup.gr/en/home/

Well, there's  no other decent football on is there at that time?

Thanks for the link, will be watching that with the outside world shut out.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #588 on: May 30, 2015, 04:39:40 PM »
lost on penalties, we also got Chelsea'd. Lead for a long time but conceded a penalty in extra time because of a dirty dive. Ah well, good experience for the kids and shows them just what scum is out there in the professional world.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #589 on: May 30, 2015, 08:27:26 PM »
lost on penalties, we also got Chelsea'd. Lead for a long time but conceded a penalty in extra time because of a dirty dive. Ah well, good experience for the kids and shows them just what scum is out there in the professional world.

Thanks for tip off. Enjoyed watching it. Thought our no.8 Kane?  Looked a class act. Were robbed in the end by the dive but again good to see another youth team with quality players in.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #590 on: May 31, 2015, 03:40:18 AM »
Thanks for tip off. Enjoyed watching it. Thought our no.8 Kane?  Looked a class act. Were robbed in the end by the dive but again good to see another youth team with quality players in.
Funny, I thought the No 8 ( I think it's Kane too) wasn't all that good, pace to burn, yes, but no actual idea what he was meant to be doing, or perhaps worse still he knew exactly what he was doing and refused to try anything different. He got the assist, then kept trying the same thing over and over again even when no one was in the box. the black guy with No.16 (Williams, I think) impressed me much more, strong drive with the ball but also cool enough to make time for himself and see a good pass. Couple of good tricks too. I feel for the No. 5, he did really well all game then got cheated.

I also found it hilarious how they kept calling one of our defenders David Luis, because he has that weird, foppish curly dread/afro style.

superbobgod

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: June 26, 2015, 05:30:49 PM »
I have always attended as many reserve/U21 games as i can and have done around 10 a season the last few years.

I am genuinely mistified as to why Roberts and Leko are rated so highly - in every game i have watched they have been totally pants!! So i wanted the view of others that have seen them in the flesh - partivularly anyone that has seen them at their level which is youth team?

Dont get me wrong - i desperatley want them to be the real deal, i also understand that even U21's is a big step up for them as they are both 16/17 and playing above their age range ( something TP wants to hevily promote ). So i have not been expecting them to pull up trees but they have been truely awful - the ball pings off Roberts, he doesnt look like he has a goal in him, and Leko is quick but normally runs straight into the full back or has no end product.

In saying all this - a couple of years back, Saido looked average in the reserves!! A lad we have just let go called Alex Jones that had a bad injury looked really good and far better than Saido. He got injured - Saido sorted his physique and head out and the rest is history.

BTW - A young C/H called Kyle Howkins has just been given a years pro contract and every game i have seen him in he has been stand out! Bar 1 mistake against Wolves early last year, he is dominant ( he is about 6 5" ) good on the ball and can tackle! He is right up Pulis' street, unlike the silky skills of Nabi unfortunatly who probably fits into the Sess/Gamboa type situation wherby he is not TP's bag!

Would be very interested in others thoughts please, particularly regular watchers.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #592 on: June 26, 2015, 08:45:53 PM »
I was at the wolves game and I thought how good a player howkins is.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #593 on: June 30, 2015, 12:45:04 PM »
Some of the Under 21 games to be played at Tamworth next season

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/baggies-agree-new-u21-venue-2511891.aspx

West Bromwich Albion have agreed with Vanarama National League North neighbours Tamworth to play Under 21 fixtures at The Lamb next season.

The agreement should see the Baggies play the bulk of their U21 Premier League fixtures at Tamworth as well as some of their Cup ties.

Premier League rules require Albion to play at least three games at their home stadium while the training ground is another venue the Baggies are able to use.

But the Barclays Premier League outfit believe the switch to Tamworth, following the end of a previous agreement to play U21 games at Coventry’s Ricoh Stadium, will suit their purposes.

Richard Garlick, Director of Football Administration, says: “We have always enjoyed a strong relationship with Tamworth and we’re more than pleased to have forged this agreement.

“We know the facilities will be of a good standard but also that the stadium will be a more suitable setting for our Under 21s’ following.”

Albion have pencilled in seven League fixtures for The Lamb which has a 4,000 seat capacity and was the closing club of one of the most celebrated Baggies stars of modern times...

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #594 on: July 03, 2015, 06:49:53 PM »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:52:49 PM by Hunnington Baggie »

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #595 on: July 06, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »
ok,I got bored and was thinking about the "success" of the academy in producing players and how many must be made to be considered as such, so I've tried to see where graduates have gone since leaving the academy in the last 5/6 years, ranked at the level they will play at the start of the new season. If I missed any, please add to the list

Premier League:
Ryan Allsop GK (sold 2011/est. £70,000 to Bournemouth) - Now at: Bournemouth
Isiah Brown LM/ST (sold 2013/by tribunal to Chelsea reserves) - Now at: Chelsea Reserves with a match for first team
Jerome Sinclair LM (sold 2012/by tribunal to Liverpool reserves) - Now at Liverpool Reserves with a match for first team
Yan Dhanda MID (sold 2013/ £??? to Liverpool reserves) Now at: Liverpool Reserves

Championship:
Chris Wood ST (Sold 2013/est £1 million to Leicester City) - Now at: Leeds United Previous Teams: Leicester, Ipswich Town (Loan)
George Thorne CM (Sold 2014/est £1.5/£2 million to Derby County) - Now at: Derby County
Alex Jones ST (Sold 2015/est FREE to Birmingham City) - Now at: Birmingham City
Chike Kandi ST (sold 2014/unkown fee to Brighton) Now at: Brighton (only spent 6 months with us)

League One:
Bradley Garmston LB (Sold 2015/est FREE to Gillingham) Now at: Gillingham
Donervorn Daniels CB (Sold 2015/est £??? to Wigan) Now at: Wigan Athletic
Romaine Sawyers CM (Sold 2013/ Est FREE to Walsall) Now at: Walsall
Sam Mantom CM (sold 2013/est FREE to Walsall) Now at: Walsall
Paul Downing CB (Sold 2012/est FREE to Walsall) Now at: Walsall
Luke Daniels GK (Sold 2015/£??? to Scunthorpe United) Now at: Scunthorpe
David Worrall RM (Sold 2009/FREE to Bury) Now at: Southend United Previous teams: Bury, Rotherham, Oldham Athletic

League Two
Kemar Roofe LW (sold 2015/ est Unkown fee to Oxford United) Now at Oxford United
Ryan Johnson CB (sold 2013/ FREE to Stevenage reserves) Now at: Stevenage

Overseas:
USA:

Danny Barrow CM (sold 2015/Free to Kansas City) Now at Kansas City
Mohammed Saeid CM (sold 2009/ £??? to BK forward) Now at: Columbus Crew Previous teams: BK Forward (Sweden), Orebro SK (sweden)
Ireland:
Lee Lynch (sold 2010/FREE to Glen Hoddle Academy) Now at: Limerick FC (2nd spell) Previous Teams: Hamilton Academical(Scotland), St. Patricks(Ireland), Sligo Rovers(Ireland), Drogheda United(Ireland), Jerez Industrial CF (Spain)

Those are the ones that I could find excluding those outside of the FL in England (Kayelden Brown, Jordan Francis etc), in minor international leagues (Lateef Elford Alliyu-Malta) or just released and picked up independently. as I'd be here all day. This also doesn't take into account the players who are just about to become overage (Adill nabi, Liam O'Neil) that are still with us.

As a result I found 18 members of the academy that are still within professional football at a comparatively high skill level, which isn't too bad considering there are only 3000 jobs at most in the Football League as a player and we currently have 12 at least from our academy (not including the three reserves players as there do not go to the 25 man squad. Also that we know that=, of these 6 years. the academy have roughly covered 2 years of running costs (£2 million a year).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:37:14 PM by Hunnington Baggie »

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #596 on: July 07, 2015, 10:55:32 AM »
That was a really interesting read, Hunnington. I think it shows that even those who don't make it straight away can have good careers. I have know a guy who's a Bournemouth fan and he's touting Ryan Allsop as a future Prem keeper. No idea if that will be the case but sometimes the opportunities just aren't there in the first team, for example it will be tough for someone like O'Neill to break through at CM/DM as traditionally it has been one of the areas we have the most depth (Yacob, Fletcher, Morrison, Gardner etc).

I hope the early rounds of the cups look favourably on us this year, because Saido's hat-trick against Newport a couple of seasons ago was what really kick started his career, and we need some of the current crop of youngsters to get a chance like that and grasp it with both hands.

He/him

stubba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #597 on: July 07, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »
Missed out Humphrey winger at Preston formerly Shrewsbury & some Scottish prem side

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #598 on: July 07, 2015, 07:29:17 PM »
Very interesting, great research! A complete matchday squad (barring reserve keeper) in a little over 5 years is pretty good going in my mind.

As a side note would James Hurst make that list? I see he's signed for Torquay....

wba_jd26

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #599 on: July 11, 2015, 12:13:56 AM »
Scraping the barrel a bit but I believe that Lateef Elford Alliyu has played in the champions league for his side in Malta, albeit in one of the early qualifying rounds.

But we have an academy producing champions league players, what more can people ask for  :P