Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 648654 times)

koren

• Senior Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #525 on: May 11, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
here's a set of highlights from Arsenal. You never think it how much our lads feature!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaUrmvAneRM
Thought Nabi and Adam Campbell both are talent.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:14:32 AM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #526 on: May 11, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »
Thought Nabi and Adam Campbell both are talent.

Adam Campbell from Newcastle? What's he doing playing for our U21s?

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #527 on: May 11, 2015, 11:49:56 AM »
Adam Campbell from Newcastle? What's he doing playing for our U21s?

he's on trial with us or at least he was

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #528 on: May 11, 2015, 06:52:04 PM »
At home to Newcastle tonight
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #529 on: May 11, 2015, 07:19:59 PM »
It would be interesting to get the views of someone who perhaps goes to a few u21 games on Tyler Roberts. Could potentially have a really decent player there!
Smethwick..

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #530 on: May 11, 2015, 08:27:28 PM »
Kemar Roofe close to joining Oxford on a perm apparently.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #531 on: May 11, 2015, 08:49:10 PM »
beat Newcastle 3-2 (T. Roberts 26, Campbell 85,87)

Tahvon Campbell scored 2 goals in 2 minutes while only being on the pitch just over 10.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:54:51 PM by Hunnington Baggie »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #532 on: May 11, 2015, 09:30:21 PM »

Tahvon Campbell scored 2 goals in 2 minutes while only being on the pitch just over 10.
Hunnington is there a league table for the u21s, I know we had a chance of promotion not long back but is this still a possibility.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #533 on: May 11, 2015, 09:35:23 PM »

Didn't he travel to Man U with the first team last week?

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #534 on: May 11, 2015, 10:05:52 PM »
Hunnington is there a league table for the u21s, I know we had a chance of promotion not long back but is this still a possibility.
There you go.
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/barclays-u21-premier-league-tables.html?paramYouthStage=NATIONAL
I think it's top 2 isn't it? so, long story short, no.. not a chance.

Also If you wanted to see, here's the under 18's too, we made the knockouts but lost to Everton a few days ago.
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/barclays-u18-premier-league-tables.html?paramYouthStage=KNOCKOUT

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #535 on: May 11, 2015, 10:07:03 PM »
Didn't he travel to Man U with the first team last week?
Roberts did with Nabi, Campbell I don't think did.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #536 on: May 12, 2015, 06:23:33 AM »
Kemar Roofe close to joining Oxford on a perm apparently.
Done Deal, congrats to Kemar and best of luck for the future. Happy for the academy too as another player breaks into the Football League.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #537 on: May 12, 2015, 07:43:28 AM »
Done Deal, congrats to Kemar and best of luck for the future. Happy for the academy too as another player breaks into the Football League.
Roofe was being touted by some as someone who should be picked in the first team and play in the Premier League. It turns out that he's only currently good enough to play 3 divisions lower than that. The raison d'etre of the Academy has to be to produce Premier League-quality players, not players of League 2 standard. If it can only do the latter, shut it down and redistribute the money elsewhere.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #538 on: May 12, 2015, 08:01:56 AM »
Roofe was being touted by some as someone who should be picked in the first team and play in the Premier League. It turns out that he's only currently good enough to play 3 divisions lower than that. The raison d'etre of the Academy has to be to produce Premier League-quality players, not players of League 2 standard. If it can only do the latter, shut it down and redistribute the money elsewhere.
In short agreed, Or if we don't give them experience of 20 minutes here and there for the first team there's not really much of a point to it is there really.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #539 on: May 12, 2015, 08:05:06 AM »
The academy apparently costs around 2m per year to run. By this it is a success if ;
we produce a 20m prem player every ten years,
we produce 10 x 200k players every ten years
we produce one or two first team players we use regularly (thus saving us cash)

Looks like Berahino could be the one in ten year player. Sinclair (Liverpool) and Izzy Brown would've been in our first team squad by now too. Therefore, three premier first team players in the past 4 or 5 years is a good return. The problem is, the 'bigger' clubs poach them young so they can use them in their home grown quotas, not really with the intention of using them in their first teams much.

I hope we keep the academy going and I hope we get protection against teams poaching our players for fluppance so we can benefit because under FFP it's our only real chance of competing.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #540 on: May 12, 2015, 08:09:23 AM »
Yes I agree with the above to however when you consider Brown will be worth 20 odd million in few years it does make you wonder if it's worth it they just get poached, saido after pulis reign will not be worth 20 mill unfortunately.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #541 on: May 12, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
It would be interesting to get the views of someone who perhaps goes to a few u21 games on Tyler Roberts. Could potentially have a really decent player there!

I watched him quite a bit at the start of the season as he was in the same team as my friends brother, the under 16s.

He got moved up to train with the 21's around Jan/Feb and hes been involved with them ever since, he travelled to Old Trafford with the squad.

The lad can score goals. He would be quiet for 10-15 minutes and then run onto a through ball and put the under 16s 1-0 up. Hes also good at holding the ball up (at under 16s level) cannot comment on how hes done for the 21's as I havent seen him play.

Leko is the same aswell, hes one of the brightest prospects in our academy, hes rated higher than Yan Dhanda (the one Liverpool poached).

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #542 on: May 12, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »
There you go.
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/barclays-u21-premier-league-tables.html?paramYouthStage=NATIONAL
I think it's top 2 isn't it? so, long story short, no.. not a chance.

Also If you wanted to see, here's the under 18's too, we made the knockouts but lost to Everton a few days ago.
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/barclays-u18-premier-league-tables.html?paramYouthStage=KNOCKOUT
Thanks for the links, not doing to bad really also its nice to see the wolves bottom of the league.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #543 on: May 14, 2015, 08:08:48 AM »
I hope tyler Roberts gets a chance next season. Alongside Leko they are the best prospects we've had for years and years.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #544 on: May 14, 2015, 08:22:18 AM »
I hope tyler Roberts gets a chance next season. Alongside Leko they are the best prospects we've had for years and years.

I dont think they are ready for first team football yet.

Tyler is only 16, and as a striker he would get bullied I feel against premier league defenders.

Give them another year in the under 21's see if they continue to impress, then when they are 17-18 can look to either loan them out or give them a crack.

I would prefer us to give Nabi a chance first.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #545 on: May 14, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »
Here is the City reports Bradley Garmston is to be released by the club at the end of the season.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #546 on: May 15, 2015, 11:02:54 AM »
I have to admit (very sadly) that i am coming around to the view that our Academy will not be around much longer.

I do think a lot of clubs will soon say "let the big clubs run their own academies, as it is just not cost effective running ours only to let the best kids get cherry picked, we would be better off picking up the big clubs "failures".

How sad is this.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #547 on: May 15, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »
I think as a Premier League club we have a duty to keep our academy going, not only for us as a club, but also for home-grown talent and for the benfit on the Football League

Yes we might not have an academy side as good as Chelsea or whoever, but those lads we do have are good footballers and 80% of them that get through to their first professional contract will probably end up somewhere in the football league.

All you need is for one Berahino to come along every 10 or 20 years and you recoup all the money in one instance.

I mean, look at the Walsall team that got to Wembley this year - the Chambers twins, Sam Mantom, Romaine Sawyers, Paul Downing. All from our youth setup.

I remember Dan Ashworth when he was a youth coach/head of our academy, he said something along the lines of from any one year group, at say U15 level, only a small percentage progress to the next level, then at U17 or whatever it is, an even smaller percentage get taken forward. But even these players probably won't break into the first team. But to just abandon the entire setup altogether? That doesn't sit well with me.

He/him

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #548 on: May 15, 2015, 02:16:05 PM »
I agree - it would be very depressing if we abandoned the academy.

I guess the way Pulis wants his defence to look would count against whatever chance Garmston had of making it......but we'll wait for official word from the club before commenting on that too much

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #549 on: May 15, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »
Adil Nabi scores against Reading, leading 1-0