Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640333 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #400 on: November 03, 2014, 08:00:49 PM »
HT WBA U21's 1-0 Stoke U21's

(Scorer - Alex Jones)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #401 on: November 03, 2014, 09:22:03 PM »
won 3-1

Scorers:
Alex Jones X2
Adil Nabi

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #402 on: November 03, 2014, 10:14:01 PM »
I went again tonight, really impressed with Alex Jones. First time I've seen him play and I was pleased. Adil Nabi again showed his class even though it wasn't his best game and O'Neill really lead by example. Lots of other decent performances too, notably from Samir Nabi an the centre backs.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #403 on: November 03, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »
I went again tonight, really impressed with Alex Jones. First time I've seen him play and I was pleased. Adil Nabi again showed his class even though it wasn't his best game and O'Neill really lead by example. Lots of other decent performances too, notably from Samir Nabi an the centre backs.
thanks for feedback, sounds really encouraging
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #404 on: November 03, 2014, 10:27:51 PM »

Talented, properly educated kids, progressing into the first team are really my main hope for us to break the hopeless Hodgson/Irvine style football.

If we can only keep the dirty paws of the 'top' clubs off them...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:29:27 PM by GrGr »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #405 on: November 03, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »
At least once kids reach 18 and hopefully sign their first pro contracts, which is the case with most of the under 21 line-up, then it's the case that other clubs would have to part with money to get them. It's the young future stars age 13, 14, 15 that we have the problem with keeping from the clutches of the big boys.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #406 on: November 03, 2014, 11:04:25 PM »
At least once kids reach 18 and hopefully sign their first pro contracts, which is the case with most of the under 21 line-up, then it's the case that other clubs would have to part with money to get them. It's the young future stars age 13, 14, 15 that we have the problem with keeping from the clutches of the big boys.

It's 17, once they get their NI numbers. I've always been curious as to how a "child" can sign a legally binding contract, but apparently if it's an employment contract, you can from 17. Odd, but there you are.

Otherwise totally agree. If/When Saido gets an England call up that will help our academy lads as he'll be the first (of many?) Albion youth players to get an England call in modern times.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #407 on: November 04, 2014, 07:09:24 AM »
Many times the benefit of having the academy has been questioned, well perhaps we are staring to see the reward for the investment now.

It's been a long, long time since Albion have had a crop of youngsters coming through as well thought of as this lot seem to be.

Really, really promising from what is being said.

Well done Albion. Like GrGr says, all we have to do now is hang on to these boys, but I sense that with Saido making such slides the evidence is there for them that staying at the Hawthorns for at least a while is possibly a better route than shipping out in Sinclair, Dhanda or Brown fashion.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #408 on: November 20, 2014, 01:20:38 PM »
Albion Under-21 team to play Derby County in the Barclays U21 Premier League Cup (2pm ko):

Palmer, Atkinson, Cleet, Howkins, Smart, Wright, Wedderburn, Pace, Samir Nabi, Jones, Adil Nabi.
Subs: Ross, Ezewele, Birch, Barrow, O'Sullivan

Derby County Under-21s: Mitchell, Lelan, Lowe, Koblenz, Rawson, Hanson, Santos, Guy, Thomas, Bunjaku, Bennett.
Subs: Barnes, Sharpe, Dryden, McDonald, Vernam.

No seniors. Though this is a cup match so not sure on eligibility.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #409 on: November 20, 2014, 05:06:24 PM »
No seniors. Though this is a cup match so not sure on eligibility.
think it's academy only.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #410 on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:32 PM »
Tyler Roberts captained and scored for Wales under 16's as they won the Victory shield tonight.

He was being linked with Liverpool at one stage - is he still with us ?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #411 on: November 25, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
Under 21's travel to Rugby Town tonight for 2nd round of the Birmingham Senior Cup

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #412 on: November 25, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Tyler Roberts captained and scored for Wales under 16's as they won the Victory shield tonight.

He was being linked with Liverpool at one stage - is he still with us ?

Yeah he is, recently been moved up from under16s to under 18s now, plays in the same team as Leko.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #413 on: November 26, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »
Under 21's beat Rugby Town 6-2

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/albion-wba-west-brom-rugby-town-birmingham-senior-cup-2105171.aspx#L9ldpBj0sWPLlwtx.99

ADIL Nabi scored twice as Albion began their defence of the Birmingham Senior Cup with an emphatic 6-2 win over Rugby Town last night.

James Shan’s side raced into a three-goal lead after just 21 minutes at Butlin Road, thanks to goals from George Cleet, Alex Jones and Samir Nabi.

However the Evo-Stik League Southern Division One Central outfit staged a spirited comeback, scoring twice through Robbie Burns on the stroke of half-time, and then Sam Youngs eight minutes after the break.

But two goals in the space of four minutes from Adil Nabi and then Danny Barrow midway through the second half, put any hopes of a Rugby revival to bed.

Adil Nabi, who captained the side on the night, then added his second and Albion’s sixth in the 82nd minute as the holders eased into the third round.

Speaking after the game, Albion Under-21 coach Shan said: “I value this competition and it is one that we want to win.

“I have spoken before about adding longevity to our season and the Birmingham Senior Cup does that.

“The game was a different kind of test to what we are used to.

“You never know what you are going to get from a non-league team, but we came through the test with flying colours.”

Albion: Palmer, Atkinson, Garmston (Smart 60'), Birch, Cleet, Howkins, Wright (Wedderburn 70'), S.Nabi (Pace 75'), Jones, A.Nabi, Barrow.
Subs: Ross, Ezewele.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #414 on: November 26, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »
Id like to see Nabi go out on loan soon and get some game time in the Championship if possible.

Looks a good prospect, just needs some experience now.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #415 on: November 26, 2014, 03:21:08 PM »
In the absence of a proper reserve team, one might wonder why none of our "not fit enough to be selected" players featured in yesterday's game to improve their match fitness, assuming Rugby isn't regarded as being too far for them to travel....

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #416 on: November 26, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »
In the absence of a proper reserve team, one might wonder why none of our "not fit enough to be selected" players featured in yesterday's game to improve their match fitness, assuming Rugby isn't regarded as being too far for them to travel....
Exactly. It's because they are fit. It's just an excuse not to play them

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #417 on: November 27, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »
I see the point. The club seems to view this competition as a good way of getting the youngsters competing against non age-group teams. The opposition are also likely to be more direct and physical than the premier league level under 21 teams I suspect.

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #418 on: November 27, 2014, 02:11:27 PM »

In fairness, I'm not sure I'd want any of our first teamers turning out against some non-league footballers who of course play a much more physical game. And you have to take into account the quality of pitch as well, I know it happens on the best pitches in the country as well, but I'd imagine on a lesser pitch the probability of picking up ligament injuries(when the foot gets caught in the ground like Gera for example) is far higher.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #419 on: November 27, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »
In fairness, I'm not sure I'd want any of our first teamers turning out against some non-league footballers who of course play a much more physical game. And you have to take into account the quality of pitch as well, I know it happens on the best pitches in the country as well, but I'd imagine on a lesser pitch the probability of picking up ligament injuries(when the foot gets caught in the ground like Gera for example) is far higher.

Questions will 100% need to be asked if Varela isnt on the bench the weekend.

Not sure how Irvine can defend himself if he says hes still not match fit, but not being put in the under 21s game.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #420 on: January 06, 2015, 10:46:44 PM »
Gather we saw off Reading 5-0 yesterday. Roofe hat-trick and a goal each for Samir and Adil Nabi. Gamboa and Blanco played.
Adil Nabi scored with a 'sublime curling effort from 25-yards-out'. Hope he signs the new contract and gets a look-in before too long.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #421 on: January 07, 2015, 01:26:10 AM »
Wonder if Gamboa and Blanco played because TP wants a look at them for the 1st team, for the shop window, or none of the above...

He/him

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #422 on: January 07, 2015, 07:15:09 AM »
We play Wolves at Molineux on Friday. Both sides at the wrong end of the U21 table.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #423 on: January 07, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »
We play Wolves at Molineux on Friday. Both sides at the wrong end of the U21 table.
Aren't we 3rd?

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!