Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2550799 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #400 on: October 15, 2013, 08:01:52 PM »
I missed 10 mins so missed his first goal but in the 2nd half he had so much more space to work with, and he improved drastically. had a Good header which unfortunately was too central and another 1st time shot that could've easily squirmed under the keeper.

1st half was one sided and dull, the 2nd half was one sided and entertaining, Lithuania must've fell apart when the first subs were made when I was away because they really restricted us first half.

The Gaffer

« Reply #401 on: October 15, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »
I just hope we can keep him, I will be heartbroken if we lose another youngster.

That's the problem I think it's inevitable we will lose him the "elite" clubs have too much pull.

I would slap one hell of a price tag round his neck though.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #402 on: October 15, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
Well done Saido - bit disappointed the ITV Commentator only mentioned Morrison getting two goals though  >:(

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #403 on: October 15, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
Well done Saido - bit disappointed the ITV Commentator only mentioned Morrison getting two goals though  >:(

No surprise, par for the course especially with ITV.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #404 on: October 16, 2013, 12:03:06 AM »
No surprise, par for the course especially with ITV.

He had a simple choice: mention west ham or West Brom and he used all of his knowledge of football and decided that he'd go with the established premier league team and talk about Morrison.  Obvious when you don't think about it.

BrummieBaggie68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #405 on: October 16, 2013, 12:37:51 AM »
Interesting that Morrison was on a hatrick but Berahino took the penalty.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #406 on: October 16, 2013, 09:03:34 AM »
BBC Radio 5 report this morning did the same with Under 21s. Only mentioning Ravel scoring his two. No problem with him being given the headlines, but would it have been too much trouble to spend an extra five seconds giving the full list of scorers. 

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #407 on: October 16, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »
BBC Radio 5 report this morning did the same with Under 21s. Only mentioning Ravel scoring his two. No problem with him being given the headlines, but would it have been too much trouble to spend an extra five seconds giving the full list of scorers.

We have a little gem - lets keep it hidden, lest  someone comes along and steals it  :-X

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #408 on: October 16, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »
we have to give him the contract he deserves, especially if he continues to be a first team regular/ squad member, he has to earn on a par with his peers so he feels valued as well, i know he's only young and we've got the years extra option but if we drag this out his head may be turned, i know its only early doors so it's a bit of a balancing act but if he continues to be around the first sixteen surely it would only merit a contract representing his new squad status
in an ideal world we sign him up on a long contract and he continues going strength to strength, there's a feel good factor around the squad and we don't want anything upsetting it

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #409 on: October 16, 2013, 01:14:54 PM »
I would very much hope we're not leaving his contract situation till January, or even worse, the summer?

A decent, but not elaborate contract, running for 4 years is needed right away, even if it pushes us over our wage allowance? Long &/or Berg will be gone by Feb, it'll even out long term.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #410 on: October 16, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »
Anyone think a good season of 10-15 goals from him (a big if at the moment) could force his way into the England squad? Rooney, Sturridge and Welbeck nailed on, which probably leaves 2 forward places up for grabs.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #411 on: October 16, 2013, 04:54:37 PM »
Anyone think a good season of 10-15 goals from him (a big if at the moment) could force his way into the England squad? Rooney, Sturridge and Welbeck nailed on, which probably leaves 2 forward places up for grabs.

He's already got about 8 or 9 I think including his U21 goals! I'd be half tempted to hide him away and play the other lads till his contract is sorted. He seems a good lad with a level head, but if he scores 6 or so by christmas his advisors are going to want huge money and some "big" club are bound to try their best to sway him.

It's an odd problem to have, you've got a great player, but you may have to not play him short-term, so that he will stay long term? I've honestly not got a firm idea how we'll handle this?
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #412 on: October 16, 2013, 08:46:22 PM »
Interesting that Morrison was on a hatrick but Berahino took the penalty.
Morrison didn't seem to like it as he squared up to Zaha after the pen. Not sure if Zaha was captain or not. Given that Southgate said he'd reminded them to be ruthless and not showboat at half time that could have been why they went with Saido who I assume must have been designated penalty taker.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

187_homicide

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #413 on: October 17, 2013, 05:57:55 AM »
Three Lions boss Hodgson will call up West Brom striker Saido Berahino and in-form Norwich winger Nathan Redmond from the Under-21s for England's two friendlies at Wembley next month, and may also consider West Ham's reformed bad-boy Ravel Morisson.

Great news.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-starlets-must-force-take-2460416#ixzz2hx4uR41x?
When do we begin to give up on Chuck Norris and start to use Youssuf Mulumbu as the basis?

BrummieBaggie68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #414 on: October 17, 2013, 06:09:17 AM »
I'm pretty certain that saido is not ready to be the england centre forward (though it's not as if england has a single really outstanding one).

I hope hodgson sees it the same way, because if saido were to go to Brazil and play, unless he were a total flop he would not start the following season for wba.

Playing in the forthcoming friendlies would be bad enough in that respect.

Not that that story in the mirror is other than speculation presented as fact.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #415 on: October 17, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »
I'm pretty certain that saido is not ready to be the england centre forward (though it's not as if england has a single really outstanding one).

I hope hodgson sees it the same way, because if saido were to go to Brazil and play, unless he were a total flop he would not start the following season for wba.

Playing in the forthcoming friendlies would be bad enough in that respect.

Not that that story in the mirror is other than speculation presented as fact.
I'd back him to out score Wellbeck?
Sometimes you just don't know how good they can be till you put them in, Townsend anyone?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #416 on: October 17, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »
On the one hand it is good to see a young player of ours getting recognition but equally it is a worry that the hype surrounding Berhahino is getting a little bit out of hand and long term that is not good for either the player nor the club until the contract issue is resolved.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Doobuy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #417 on: October 17, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »
no harm in him being called up for the experience. he'll get no more than 15 mins i would think but why not get him used to the set up.  getting him a new contract is important but not urgent. The media are responsible for so much hype but the reality is that if he signs for a bigger club he wont get a look-in and his development will suffer as a result. he has years ahead of him.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #418 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
How is the progress of signing a new deal with Saido?We have to act quicker as I'm afraid that he will attract much more interest from the big clubs if he called up by England.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:51:21 PM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #419 on: October 17, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
I imagine we would have scheduled a meeting with Saido's people at the earliest opportunity following the game at OT.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #420 on: October 17, 2013, 10:51:07 PM »
All seems very slow i'm afraid.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #421 on: October 18, 2013, 06:24:36 AM »
All seems very slow i'm afraid.

Its a contract that may affect the rest of a young players life so I would imagine that its not as cut and dried as we think it should be.
I would imagine that the contract will have several add ons and clauses based on how many Premier League goals he scores and how many England caps he might get at U21 and Full International level.
Add to that the release clauses that will be in there, it wont be sorted overnight.
At the end of the day the agent will want the maximum for his client and the Albion will want to be paying the minimum the can to secure his services.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #422 on: October 18, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
We still have the best part of two years to run on his current deal and as the previous poster noted contracts are far from straight forward so it won't get sorted quickly.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #423 on: October 18, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »
Not sure if anybody saw another bit in yesterdays Mirror but one of the main journalists put Saido in his World Cup squad for Brazil!

Obviously a lot can happen between now and then and important there isnt too much hype about him as he has actually only made one premiership start!

Signs are good though, he seems a sensible lad and i think he probably appreciates Albion have had a big part in his life, he has had quite a different background to most.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #424 on: October 18, 2013, 09:50:56 PM »
Tottenham seemed to sort out Andros Townsend's contract quite quickly since his rise of form.