Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 285048 times)

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #575 on: October 16, 2018, 03:22:16 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me if raffa did want him,par for his course in signing duds like rondon,get a straight swap for Gayle if there's any truth in it

Wollastonbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #576 on: October 16, 2018, 03:58:14 PM »
Don't know about preparing a bid but the rumour is that Newcastle, Tottenham and one other have been scouting him.

That must be a bit tricky unless they turn up at the training ground!

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #577 on: October 16, 2018, 04:13:09 PM »
Useless, get rid ASAP.

More of a waste of money than Chadli and that was hard to beat!
So, from thinking that he would be good in the Championship, you have now decided that he is useless. Based on what? One and a half games in the EFL cup, when he scored once and had one assist?

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #578 on: October 16, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
I say three different managers he hasn't played Ok While Pardew era was a bit chaotic Pullis signed him and never played him and Now Moore while yes Moore played him once in the cup and he did alright why didn't try to play him more often, maybe an attitude problem with him maybe not matured yet
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #579 on: October 16, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »
I say three different managers he hasn't played Ok While Pardew era was a bit chaotic Pullis signed him and never played him and Now Moore while yes Moore played him once in the cup and he did alright why didn't try to play him more often, maybe an attitude problem with him maybe not matured yet
This is not true. He played or was on the bench more often than not under both Pulis and Pardew. And no sign of any attitude problem under either of them. Not quite ready for the Premier League last year but not far away. Now another year more experienced and a league lower, I would have expected him to feature more rather than less.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #580 on: October 17, 2018, 03:06:42 PM »
Would be daft to sell him for a loss I think.
Keep him. Develop him. Its clear he has raw potential there, we just need to find a way to coach it out of him. Think about the long term for a change. It took quite a few seasons before Dawson became a steady ever-present.

elminius

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #581 on: October 17, 2018, 06:53:43 PM »
Would be daft to sell him for a loss I think.
Keep him. Develop him. Its clear he has raw potential there, we just need to find a way to coach it out of him. Think about the long term for a change. It took quite a few seasons before Dawson became a steady ever-present.

How much did Dawson cost to give us time to develop him and not worry about any sell on fee if it didnt work? Compared to a 15 million loss if burke just runs down his contract. He has been at the club more than long enough training every day for the coaches to know what potential he has and whether to keep or cut and run? Very fast!  ;D

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #582 on: October 17, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »
I've honestly seen nothing to place him above say Leko? He's raw but if we can get our money back and invest in midfield then I'd do it all day long.

He'll probably become a decent player eventually but he does seem as though he could go the other way to and just slip out of sight. He doesn't seem the most driven personality from interviews (which sounds harsh I know) .

Maybe he needs a bit of luck, an injury to someone else for e.g. which forces him into the team. Why don't we loan him out though, he badly needs first team games.............unless there's something else we don't know about?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #583 on: October 18, 2018, 12:48:10 AM »
Never been given a chance by any one of our head coaches.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #584 on: October 18, 2018, 01:23:39 AM »
Perhaps because all of them have struggled to find a suitable role for his fleeting talents?
Who would he replace in the current line-up?
Mears? No - that is Phillips's place, when fit.
So, were is he to play?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #585 on: October 18, 2018, 10:10:23 AM »
3 very different coaches with very different styles and attitudes, in 2 very different leagues. The common denominator is him I'm afraid.
Whatever the reason, he just doesn't seem up to it. Think we will cut our losses in January.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #586 on: October 18, 2018, 10:11:42 AM »
Perhaps because all of them have struggled to find a suitable role for his fleeting talents?
Who would he replace in the current line-up?
Mears? No - that is Phillips's place, when fit.
So, were is he to play?
Instead of Mears when Philips isn't fit or needs a rest or loses form. Also as an impact sub, as he was generally for both Pulis and Pardew.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #587 on: October 18, 2018, 10:17:07 AM »
3 very different coaches with very different styles and attitudes, in 2 very different leagues. The common denominator is him I'm afraid.
Whatever the reason, he just doesn't seem up to it. Think we will cut our losses in January.
Unbelievable to me that you and one or two others are writing him off at Championship level when he has played just a few minutes in the first match. There just isn't any evidence for what you are saying.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #588 on: October 18, 2018, 10:32:21 AM »
Unbelievable to me that you and one or two others are writing him off at Championship level when he has played just a few minutes in the first match. There just isn't any evidence for what you are saying.
There's no evidence to back up what you are saying either though is there? As you say, he's played only a few minutes, so how can you say he should be picked.
I have been a big supporter of Burke since he got here and have echoed your sentiments many times that he should be used as an impact sub or start ahead of the likes of Mears and HRK but, we have to face facts that, as I said, for whatever reason, Moore and Jones are just the latest to decide that they don't fancy him.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #589 on: October 18, 2018, 11:13:13 AM »
There's no evidence to back up what you are saying either though is there? As you say, he's played only a few minutes, so how can you say he should be picked.
I have been a big supporter of Burke since he got here and have echoed your sentiments many times that he should be used as an impact sub or start ahead of the likes of Mears and HRK but, we have to face facts that, as I said, for whatever reason, Moore and Jones are just the latest to decide that they don't fancy him.
Well. a couple of points in reply. Firstly, I didn't say that he shouldbe picked, so your argument falls a bit flat. I still think it is wrong to say he isn't up to it, when we have virtually no evidence one way or the other. The little evidence we do have (cup matches, under 23's, Scotland under 23's) he seems to be doing quite well, scored a few and some assists. Yes, DM isn't picking him for even the squad at the minute, and there must be a reason for that, but I, like many others, are a bit in the dark as to the reasons. Both Pulis and Pardew picked him regularly in the match day squads in the Prem, so people who say "three managers didn't fancy him" are just factually wrong. As I said in an above post, with another years experience since Pulis and a lower division, I would have thought he would be more involved and I'm mystified why he isn't.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #590 on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:49 AM »
Well. a couple of points in reply. Firstly, I didn't say that he shouldbe picked, so your argument falls a bit flat. I still think it is wrong to say he isn't up to it, when we have virtually no evidence one way or the other. The little evidence we do have (cup matches, under 23's, Scotland under 23's) he seems to be doing quite well, scored a few and some assists. Yes, DM isn't picking him for even the squad at the minute, and there must be a reason for that, but I, like many others, are a bit in the dark as to the reasons. Both Pulis and Pardew picked him regularly in the match day squads in the Prem, so people who say "three managers didn't fancy him" are just factually wrong. As I said in an above post, with another years experience since Pulis and a lower division, I would have thought he would be more involved and I'm mystified why he isn't.

Does the little evidence say that?

I wasn't thrilled when we signed him and I said as much. In a summer where our business seemed to have been very good (hindsight shows it maybe wasn't) he seemed a strange signing, especially at the reported price.

However this season I've been an advocate of giving him a chance. I'm sure he is worthy of at least a chance in the league when games are going well for us. The evidence hasn't been great though has it. In the cup he's had a couple of decent spells but also been anonymous for much of the games, against lower opposition,  U23's he has scored a decent goal but ive seen questionable reviews and he hasnt made the recent Scotland U21's. Having played in the senior and the U21's previously, his last caps seem to have been at U20.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: October 18, 2018, 11:41:51 AM »

Sorry but that's manipulating the facts to suit your argument. The statement that "three managers didn't fancy him" is absolutely factually correct because he got next to no game time, even though the team couldn't win a raffle. To suggest that either Pulis or Pardew held him in high regards is just not true.

For the record, and as I have already stated, I had high hopes for him and agree that we don't know the reason why he hasn't cut it but, however you dress it up, the truth is he hasn't.
Crying shame in my opinion but still think we'll cut our losses in Jan.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #592 on: October 18, 2018, 12:18:46 PM »
Sorry but that's manipulating the facts to suit your argument. The statement that "three managers didn't fancy him" is absolutely factually correct because he got next to no game time, even though the team couldn't win a raffle. To suggest that either Pulis or Pardew held him in high regards is just not true.

For the record, and as I have already stated, I had high hopes for him and agree that we don't know the reason why he hasn't cut it but, however you dress it up, the truth is he hasn't.

I hope we cut our losses in Jan and find another sicker to pay money for him, as I can see him turning into a nobody running his big contract down like Winston Bogarde before disappearing into oblivion.

Imo the best we can hope for is a loan to perm, which we should have insisted on, after which he fails wherever he goes and come back to us to do more of nothing.

And this is not based on wanting this scenario, it's based on how bad he actually is to date.

I hope becomes great for us for any other club he goes on loan to.

One things for sure he's the new poster boy for not letting a manager decide who to buy without consultation with the dof.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #593 on: October 18, 2018, 05:12:34 PM »
Does the little evidence say that?

I wasn't thrilled when we signed him and I said as much. In a summer where our business seemed to have been very good (hindsight shows it maybe wasn't) he seemed a strange signing, especially at the reported price.

However this season I've been an advocate of giving him a chance. I'm sure he is worthy of at least a chance in the league when games are going well for us. The evidence hasn't been great though has it. In the cup he's had a couple of decent spells but also been anonymous for much of the games, against lower opposition,  U23's he has scored a decent goal but ive seen questionable reviews and he hasnt made the recent Scotland U21's. Having played in the senior and the U21's previously, his last caps seem to have been at U20.
Might have something to do with the fact he isn't under 21 any more. Before that he was captain.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #594 on: October 18, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
Might have something to do with the fact he isn't under 21 any more. Before that he was captain.

He captained a u20 side at the Toulon this past summer. He could still play for the u21s he’s just not selected. Nothing to do with eligibility

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #595 on: October 18, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »

Pulis more or less had control of transfers at the time he was bought and paid a lot of money for him (probably too much admittedly, but that's not the lad's fault), so I would suggest he must have held him in high regard. Remember he was only 19 at the time, so getting into a Premier League team's match day squad on a regular basis showed that he was on the fringes of the first team, especially as he was brought on on a number of occasions. This was the same with both Pulis and Pardew. I can't believe that he has got worse, so it is more than a little strange that he has disappeared from view altogether.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #596 on: October 18, 2018, 05:30:14 PM »
He captained a u20 side at the Toulon this past summer. He could still play for the u21s he’s just not selected. Nothing to do with eligibility
That was why I said might - I wasn't sure about the rules. Just checked up and he is still captain, and by all accounts doing pretty well. The reason he wasn't called up was because he is injured apparently, nothing to do with form.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15630343.Oliver_Burke_misses_out_as_Scot_Gemmill_names_Scotland_Under_21_squad/?ref=rss

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #597 on: October 18, 2018, 06:10:24 PM »
That was why I said might - I wasn't sure about the rules. Just checked up and he is still captain, and by all accounts doing pretty well. The reason he wasn't called up was because he is injured apparently, nothing to do with form.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15630343.Oliver_Burke_misses_out_as_Scot_Gemmill_names_Scotland_Under_21_squad/?ref=rss

Stories a year old

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #598 on: October 18, 2018, 06:28:35 PM »
Stories a year old
Oops, silly me. That'll teach me to rush my posts  :D. Try this link instead then.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/september/burke-withdrawn-from-scotland-duty/

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #599 on: October 18, 2018, 06:49:50 PM »
This lad has all the attributes to be great, tall, strong, fast, comfortable on the ball, with the right coaching he could be great, can see him leaving and becoming a star, but for some reason it’s just not working for him here, whether that’s a confidence thing who knows.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.