Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 283085 times)

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #325 on: January 03, 2018, 10:00:43 PM »
He is being criticised here for the same failings as very experienced pros like J-Rod Rondon Mclean HRK, etc are guilty of every week. Give the kid a chance , he shows great promise. Frankly Burke, Field , Gibbs, Hegazi and Dawson are our future, the rest can do one any time soon.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #326 on: January 03, 2018, 11:05:54 PM »
He needs time on the pitch playing in actual football matches to settle in, not the training ground. It was his pace and movement which got him in 1 on 1 last night in the first place and it was a great recovery challenge from the West Ham defender after Burke did the right thing to go across him but then took just the one touch too many. Hardly unexpected considering he's not been playing and isn't up to speed with the match tempo.

What got him in last night was a wonderful pass from Rondon. The rest I agree with.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boot2006

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #327 on: January 03, 2018, 11:25:04 PM »
Needs a run in the side before we will see the best of him. 

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #328 on: January 04, 2018, 08:32:55 AM »
Given injuries to creative players and our dire need for cutting edge Burke surely has to feature more.

Opposing teams will not be worried about facing HRK or J Rod as they'll think they can handle them even on a good day. Burke on the other hand may make them rethink due to his pace and the slight unknown factor about his play. If he doesn't start he should be the first attacking player off the bench and get 25 minutes.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #329 on: January 04, 2018, 08:36:40 AM »
Given injuries to creative players and our dire need for cutting edge Burke surely has to feature more.

Opposing teams will not be worried about facing HRK or J Rod as they'll think they can handle them even on a good day. Burke on the other hand may make them rethink due to his pace and the slight unknown factor about his play. If he doesn't start he should be the first attacking player off the bench and get 25 minutes.
He should be playing, the others have used all their chances by now - look to the future

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #330 on: January 04, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »

Great point mate. We are far too slow and predictable and therefore easy to defend against (hence our lack of goals), Burke may not be the finished article but he does offer pace and unpredictability, 2 things that defenders hate.
If we play him though, we need someone with a bit of composure and vision in midfield, so one of Field, Greg or Barry needs to play and look to pick out his runs.
Won't work every time and yes he'll trip himself up or run down a blind alley a fair % of the time but if it comes off 2 or 3 times a match it could make the difference .

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #331 on: January 04, 2018, 09:22:11 AM »
He can't be worse than McClean can he?!

Burke offers an unpredictability and burst of pace and explosiveness that only McClean and Phillips show.

McClean has been awful this season and his final ball is very questionable, also doesn't provide enough goals/assists which is proof that he has no final ball.

Phillips is injured a lot so for me this lad must be given a chance to prove himself, what we're doing isn't working and we need players on the pitch that can score/assist and Burke can do it, albeit in the Championship but we'll only find out if he can in the Premier League if he's actually played.

Play Burke, Krychowiak and Brunt for a run of games and we may just improve. This would have to coincide with dropping McClean, Livermore and J-Rod/HRK.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #332 on: January 04, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »
He is extremely raw, his touch at times is terrible and he is clearly not in tune with the defensive side of things as yet. That said, we are now in a position where we need to be able to create something out of nothing and he offers us that. I feel he needs a run of games and it may just be that he unlocks a few doors with his unpredictable nature, if he doesn't know what's coming next, imagine how the defenders would be trying to play against it all game. Ultimately, we have given a run of games to far worse players this season so we may as well try it, put him up top next to or in behind Rondon where he doesn't need to worry so much about the defensive side of things and see what he can do. The two crosses he put in against Man United and Stoke were crackers and should have been turned into goals.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #333 on: January 04, 2018, 09:31:38 AM »
He is extremely raw, his touch at times is terrible and he is clearly not in tune with the defensive side of things as yet. That said, we are now in a position where we need to be able to create something out of nothing and he offers us that. I feel he needs a run of games and it may just be that he unlocks a few doors with his unpredictable nature, if he doesn't know what's coming next, imagine how the defenders would be trying to play against it all game. Ultimately, we have given a run of games to far worse players this season so we may as well try it, put him up top next to or in behind Rondon where he doesn't need to worry so much about the defensive side of things and see what he can do. The two crosses he put in against Man United and Stoke were crackers and should have been turned into goals.

If his defensive side is poor perhaps he should be number 10 or one of a two-pronged attack, takes the emphasis of tracking back a little and takes advantage of what he is good at.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #334 on: January 04, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
If his defensive side is poor perhaps he should be number 10 or one of a two-pronged attack, takes the emphasis of tracking back a little and takes advantage of what he is good at.

Yes that's what I suggested. Give him a fairly free role and see what he can bring to the table. You don't see the likes of Ozil doing the defensive work, not that he is in the same league of course, but you play those types of players for the goal threat they bring and hopefully Burke can provide us with that.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #335 on: January 04, 2018, 01:29:05 PM »
How many players have we afforded such a role before. Koumas is the one player that springs to mind. It is arguably the role Chadli should be afforded. Oliver Burke isn't and never will be a player similar to either. 10's are historically the most gifted player in the team, Burke playing there is a big square peg in a little round hole. We either go and get one, or we don't play with one.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #336 on: January 04, 2018, 01:58:49 PM »
There has been a lot of comment for and against Burke yes he had hardly played any football for us. He need a run of starts, preferably in an attacking position and then we can all judge his ability for better or worse.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #337 on: January 04, 2018, 03:08:47 PM »
I wouldn't say its fair to give the lad one start and say here is your chance in this game after so long without a decent run of football matches. Of course he isnt going to be sharp and used to playing in competitive matches with the team because he hasnt been exposed to it. The pressure to perform in one game would also be making him try to hard to impress if you get what I'm trying to put across.

He needs to be told you will get a run of games, and we go from there with our conclusions on his ability.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #338 on: January 04, 2018, 03:16:51 PM »
If we ain't going to play him may aswel loan him out if it helps with freeing up wages for incoming players,same with Sam Field.

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #339 on: January 04, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »
Look at someone like McClean who is in his prime.

He has played 88 games for us, scored 4 goals, made 4 assists, averages less than 1 dribble a game in that time, slightly over 1 key pass every 2 games, averages less than 1 cross per game, 2 tackles every 3 games and an interception every 2 games.

I know stats can be misleading but this just confirms what I see every time I see him play he offers next to nothing. Can never be proven but I'm fairly sure if McClean had made the exact same performances he has done but was aged 17-20 he would not have played 80+ games for us in the last 3 seasons.

Burke may or not be the answer but I really fail to see how he can do much worse than someone who offers practically nothing. At the very least he deserves a solid 6-10 game run as a starting winger to show what he an do. Same goes for Field in comparison with Livermore. These players may or may not be good enough as things stand right now but I can't see how they will be much worse than the players who get chance after chance despite being big parts of a team on record runs without a win. At least Burke has room for huge improvement in his game and will in theory at least become a better player down the road with game time now something which can't be said of some of the players in front of him.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #340 on: January 04, 2018, 03:26:52 PM »
the only possible reason I can come up with to justify him not playing more than McLean is "being young and in a losing side may screw his confidence up",
whilst not playing could screw his confidence up, so get him on the pitch for a run of games.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #341 on: January 04, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »
the only possible reason I can come up with to justify him not playing more than McLean is "being young and in a losing side may screw his confidence up",
whilst not playing could screw his confidence up, so get him on the pitch for a run of games.
You can't swap them as JM is left footed and left sided where Burke is right footed right sided,Burke for me is back up to a fit Philips

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #342 on: February 04, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
Anyone think he deserve more game time?
Created some good chances against Stoke, West Ham and Southampton although he couldn't convert them into goals.
At least he is more threatening than McClean and HRK in my opinion.
The PRIDE of midlands

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #343 on: February 04, 2018, 12:05:40 PM »
Needs to sort out his ball control for me and calm down a bit. Gets in some very good positions and has pace to burn, but seems to either over-run the ball or miscontrol it and slip over more often than not.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #344 on: February 04, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »
Thought he was a bit unlucky just after he came on when the defender nicked it onto his shin & it ran through to the keeper, got a bit of pace about him & he's a big strong lad, like to see him getting more time on the pitch.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »
I think it's now time to try something different and give him a run in the side. Try him out wide where there's more space and let's see what he can do.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2018, 05:28:50 PM »
Anyone think he deserve more game time?
Created some good chances against Stoke, West Ham and Southampton although he couldn't convert them into goals.
At least he is more threatening than McClean and HRK in my opinion.
Agree entirely

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #347 on: February 04, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »
I thought he was one of the very few positives from yesterday’s game. Definitely got a lot to learn but there’s potential there!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »
Would like him to be given a chance against Chelsea, start Phillips on the bench.

I'm not convinced by him at all but would like to see him get more game time in order to be able to form a better opinion of him.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2018, 10:31:31 AM »
He's certainly got something, but sadly as yet it isn't a good first touch...or second. I like him though, he is extremely raw but I see a lot of potential in him if he can be given the correct coaching. Unfortunately potential isn't what we currently need but I would give him a run in the side for the unknown quantity factor. I would pick anyone ahead of Phillips currently who offers us absolutely nothing.