Author Topic: Louie Barry  (Read 91370 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Louie Barry
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2019, 06:51:51 AM »
I think we need to let the academy lads who are not yet ready for the first team to go out on loan to League 1 & 2 sides and get the game time they so badly need to help their development.
I think we are too guilty of just hanging onto them without playing them in meaningful games
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2019, 07:51:44 AM »
I think we need to let the academy lads who are not yet ready for the first team to go out on loan to League 1 & 2 sides and get the game time they so badly need to help their development.
I think we are too guilty of just hanging onto them without playing them in meaningful games

In theory you are right, but in practice not feasible as our outstanding academy lads are only 15/16/17. They are still only children even if their football development is very advanced.

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »
Hopefully this will put him off joining the Barca youth

https://talksport.com/football/564794/barcelona-la-masia-academy-lionel-messi-pique-decline/

Barcelona’s world famous academy, La Masia, is in a serious state of decline, according to reports.
The academy has a rich history when it comes to bringing through talent and has produced some of the best players in history.

Messi is a famous product of the La Masia academy and is arguably the greatest player to ever play for the club’s first team, but where will the next Messi come from? It won’t be La Masia, according to recent reports
Names such as Lionel Messi, Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Carles Puyol, Gerard Pique, Sergio Busquets, Pedro and Victor Valdes have gone on to be huge successes for Barcelona.

However, in recent seasons, the club has failed to blood talent of that world class calibre, with perhaps Sergi Roberto being the last notable player to feature in the first team.
But his debut for the Catalan giants came in 2013 and that means it is six years since a a graduate of note has made the step up.

Ara journalist Xavi Torres has outlined reasons for the decline and has explained exactly why La Masia is ‘sick.’
Torres explains why Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu’s ‘Masia 360’ strategy has been a spectacular failure, saying he put the wrong people in charge, which cost the club a lot of money.
It also highlights how many of the players in the academy are loanees and the coaches in charge, do not understand the Barcelona philosophy, while the food is said to fall below the lowest nutritional standards.
La Masia's demise

- Of the 48 football players who live in La Masia right now, most of them are loanees and reserves
- Rooms meant to accomodate the players have been turned into offices and there is no longer a gym and the swimming tracks are out of bounds
- An audio visual room where the players studied football matches and spent time together has also been converted into a room for staff
- La Masia does not meet the lowest nutrition standards required
- The coaches employed do not have an understanding of the club’s philosophy which is refered to the ‘Barca DNA’
- Tutors do not think tutoring the players is necessary, with many saying what the teacher wants to hear in order to leave the sessions early
- According to La Masia officials 40-50 cases (serious illnesses of family members, separation of parents, economic problems etc) happen every year

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2019, 04:46:56 PM »

https://talksport.com/football/564794/barcelona-la-masia-academy-lionel-messi-pique-decline/

Barcelona’s world famous academy, La Masia, is in a serious state of decline, according to reports.

Just PSG to worry about now then, to be fair 90% of Paris looks like the back streets of Smethwick anyway!!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Dynamo10

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2019, 10:50:43 AM »

If all of this is accurate, then that is absolutely woeful - especially for a club like Barcelona!

With Barry, would he really be better off going to the likes of them at this stage? I reckon he'd be best served with us, at least then would he have a half decent chance of game time in the first team in a couple of years time. Besides, there's been a lot of players in the past with big potential who have gone to these big clubs only to fall away because they've not cut it. He's only got to look at Ryan Gauld; supposedly Scotland's answer to Messi who now can't get anywhere near the Sporting Lisbon side.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2019, 12:08:31 PM »
The money he could earn at PSG over the length of his contract would set him up very well before he even hits 20, worse case he comes back over here and signs for a championship team, with his healthy bank account.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2019, 09:29:28 AM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/07/05/england-youth-striker-louie-barry-rejects-contract-and-leaves-west-brom/

16 year old England wonderkid Louie Barry has rejected his three-year contract offer and left the Baggies after being in the academy since the age of 6.

Barry first rose to prominence last year when he scored 10 goals in five games for England Under-15s at a tournament in Italy. He also won the golden boot in November at the Val-de-Marne tournament which England Under-16s won.

This is clearly a massive kick in the knackers and makes me wonder why we bother to even continue to have an academy. I guess it must turn a modest profit from players sold because we sure can't keep anyone of decent quality in our team.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »
You're right. It is a kick in the teeth. This has happened with Barry, Brown, Dhandra and others.

However. We're a community club. We have deep roots in the surrounding area. I would be very sad if we were to drop our interest in the academy for these reasons.  Sometimes (for me) it's not about the money, but about doing the right thing.

An observation I make frequently; what exactly have these poached players gone in to achieve? The only ones doing well are players that we decided to let go (Wood, Roofe, Roberts) after they hit a certain age

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »
On another thread @Standaman said that £235k covers the cost of the successful individual - but for every success there's bound to be more failures.  So if they go abroad the club's academy system makes a loss.  If the English FA does not recognise this, English football will be dependent on the academies of the 6 big clubs.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2019, 09:48:57 AM »
You're right. It is a kick in the teeth. This has happened with Barry, Brown, Dhandra and others.

However. We're a community club. We have deep roots in the surrounding area. I would be very sad if we were to drop our interest in the academy for these reasons.  Sometimes (for me) it's not about the money, but about doing the right thing.

An observation I make frequently; what exactly have these poached players gone in to achieve? The only ones doing well are players that we decided to let go (Wood, Roofe, Roberts) after they hit a certain age

Good point with regards to the community aspect. I hadn't considered that due to my red mist descending!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2019, 09:50:11 AM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/07/05/england-youth-striker-louie-barry-rejects-contract-and-leaves-west-brom/

16 year old England wonderkid Louie Barry has rejected his three-year contract offer and left the Baggies after being in the academy since the age of 6.

Barry first rose to prominence last year when he scored 10 goals in five games for England Under-15s at a tournament in Italy. He also won the golden boot in November at the Val-de-Marne tournament which England Under-16s won.

This is clearly a massive kick in the knackers and makes me wonder why we bother to even continue to have an academy. I guess it must turn a modest profit from players sold because we sure can't keep anyone of decent quality in our team.

Sam Field, Rekeem Harper, maybe Dara O'Shea this year, Morgan Rogers perhaps ......... this is why we have the academy.

The Louie Barry loss is disappointing but these things happen and Barry is at his age group one of the most promising talents in World football hence the interest from the likes of Barce, PSG etc.

He's only a baby though and still could go either way.

The academy is worth persevering with for sure, even if the odd cuckoo does fly the nest.

It's worth baring in mind the likes of Izzy Brown, Dhanda and the like haven't really gone on so I'd argue just how big a loss were they to us?

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2019, 09:52:01 AM »
What is so annoying to me is that the big rich clubs can offer a huge contract due to the pittance they have to pay for him, not so much to develop the lad but to stop their rivals getting hold of him, they are in such a win-win position. Wonder if Brexit may restrict this from happening in the future.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2019, 10:53:11 AM »
As I posted earlier , yes its a big club , yes its a big wage by all accounts but this lad has had 10 years invested into him from the Albion and now he jumps ship with little in return.
It's not right , the whole system stinks .

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »
As others have said its the system not the kids fault.
Any of us at that age in all honesty would do exactly the same.
If it's true that he's been offered a five year deal elsewhere and we were only offering three then I think our negotiators should be looking at why we let the kid go.
Only time will tell if they were right or not.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2019, 12:01:40 PM »
I'm sure I read somewhere players under eighteen can't sign professional contracts for longer than three years. If the offer of five years with PSG is correct then I'm clearly mistaken. Mind's playing tricks with me......  :-X .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
From a good source, I am told that our offer to him was poor, given the circumstances. It was a three year deal.
If what I am told is true, I am not surprised he has gone elsewhere and I do believe it is accurate.

I am fuming.

Is it a coincidence that Harrison left at the same time, as I would guess he would be incredibly frustrated with the lack of effort by the club. This bit is my speculation.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2019, 12:11:12 PM »
Well if we were going to pay peanuts then I've no issue with the kid but if we offered a reasonable deal then he can jog on with his greedy parents.

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2019, 12:20:09 PM »
From a good source, I am told that our offer to him was poor, given the circumstances. It was a three year deal.
If what I am told is true, I am not surprised he has gone elsewhere and I do believe it is accurate.

I am fuming.

Is it a coincidence that Harrison left at the same time, as I would guess he would be incredibly frustrated with the lack of effort by the club. This bit is my speculation.
Mate if true thats SHOCKING!
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2019, 12:30:07 PM »

I am fuming.

any figures, because club believed that he would sign what was on offer.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2019, 01:01:46 PM »
Well if we were going to pay peanuts then I've no issue with the kid but if we offered a reasonable deal then he can jog on with his greedy parents.

Nothing to do with greed mate just maximising the return on his talent.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2019, 01:35:46 PM »
Nothing to do with greed mate just maximising the return on his talent.

Agreed. Anyone else in the same situation would be off like a shot. If it was my kid I'd be advising him to move. As someone else mentioned you are only 1 injury away from being finished. Make the most of it while you can.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2019, 02:19:11 PM »
I don’t blame the kid at all, most players would jump at the opportunity to play for the clubs interested, the opportunity to play for some of the bigger clubs in the world, earning great money, the opportunity to live in the likes of Barcelona, Paris etc over Birmingham and Sandwell etc. The issue is with the system that allows the big overseas clubs to just cherry pick the best talent for basically nothing.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »
any figures, because club believed that he would sign what was on offer.

I know the figures. Believe me, if it was my son, speaking even as an Albion fan, I would tell them to stick it.

For an England International, with top6 English clubs sniffing, plus top European clubs, the offer is just jaw dropping.

Compared to you and I, we would be happy over the 3 years, but for a footballer I am in disbelief.

Maybe it's me though - out of interest, what would people say is reasonable over 3 years?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:26:37 PM by cads_ap_albion »
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
His contract was out so he decided not to sign a new one. That is his choice. The club had a contract with him but it does not mean to say that they own him.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2019, 02:38:01 PM »
I know the figures. Believe me, if it was my son, speaking even as an Albion fan, I would tell them to stick it.

For an England International, with top6 English clubs sniffing, plus top European clubs, the offer is just jaw dropping.

Compared to you and I, we would be happy over the 3 years, but for a footballer I am in disbelief.

Maybe it's me though - out of interest, what would people say is reasonable over 3 years?

Your trying to equate two different bed fellows here.
Reasonable and football are not two words that should be use in the same sentence.
Is it reasonable for a heart surgeon to be paid less than a bang average Championship footballer?
For a nurse or a doctor to be paid less than a less than average Championship footballer?
Football now is completely unreasonable and the fault for all that is down to Sky TV.
The sport (should be called a business) is out of the working mans hands, it's now the property of faceless corporate agencies that see us all as nobodies worth bothering about.