0 (0%)
Hollie Doyle
3 (6.1%)
Ronnie O’Sullivan
4 (8.2%)
Tyson Fury
19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: BBC Sports Personally of the Year 2020  (Read 9834 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

BBC Sports Personally of the Year 2020
« on: December 01, 2020, 07:54:43 PM »
Above are your six nominees, who will your vote go to?

Me, Stuart Broad
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

Re: BBC Sports Personally of the Year 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 08:02:03 PM »
Genuinely Fury all day but the beeb won’t accept that so it will probably go to Mr ‘take the knee’ Hamilton.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »
I also think Hamilton will win, however I personally give it Ronnie out of those listed. I know it’s Sports personality of the ‘year’ and his year may not have been his best, but let’s face it, people have won awards because of legacy before and ROS is the greatest snooker player of all time.

He might be a bit of an arsehole at times too, but at least he has personality.

Fury’s will win it next year if he beats Joshua.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 08:36:59 PM »
anyone but Hamilton  :(

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 08:49:52 PM »
Jordon Henderson? Why?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 09:11:29 PM »
Hamilton for me, even if he is a tax dodger.
Boing Boing

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 09:53:03 PM »
Fury and ronnie the only ones with "personality" anyway.

Hope fury gets it his comeback was unreal and the work he does with charities shouldn't be ignored
O Albion we love you

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 09:55:20 PM »
Hollie Doyle for me, that girl can get a tune out of a donkey.....so many winners this year.
MAGA!

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 09:55:53 PM »
Whose Hollie Doyle I feel like I should know the SPOTY candidates but who is she
Ah Horse Racing that's why I never heard of him not my sort of think but Horse Racing is usually Male Dominated so I might Vote for her just to be different though I like all. Henderson I can see why in a way but maybe TAA would have been better choice, Fury can see why his background is rough he does Charity Work, ROS again I can see why he is a great Snooker Player. Hmm as for Hamilton don't get me wrong I used to like him I was delighted when he won the second title his first at Merc I probably followed F1 until the end of the Hamilton Rosberg rivallary. However now it is to predictable interesting the week to see if whoever replaces Hamilton wins making it the car or if it is him. Now I follow the other British Drivers my favourite being Lando Norris. But Hamilton is also getting a bit Political and letting stardom get to him as a Sportsman you should keep your Political beleives hidden. But it is hard to argue with the fact Hamilton has equalled F1 History as for being a legend or so on That's a debate
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:06:28 PM by BaggieBoy04 »
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 08:52:41 AM »
Hamilton for me, even if he is a tax dodger.

He is probably the favourite, and you cannot question his achievements. He has the best car but he is a clean driver, unlike Schumacher or Senna who would think nothing of ramming you off the road, so I like and respect him for that. However, I also think that politics and sport should never mix, and I am not a fan of blatant tax dodgers - but he will win, I have no doubt about that, as it is the 'politically correct' decision [just watched the first episode of the new Spitting Image on Britbox, they have sussed him!].

Tyson should get it as he is a) a personality, b) shut that American twonk up big time, winning a world title in the process, and c) come back from serious mental health issues. A genuinely nice bloke as well, I had certainly written him off a couple of years ago.

As I said earlier, my vote is for Hollie Doyle, but I think it is too early for her yet. In the near future she is likely to win the jockeys championship, and when she does the time will be spot on. My only advice to anyone is don't bet on a horse if Hollie is riding in the race, as it will probably end in tears!

Jordan Henderson? Dont make me laugh...........
MAGA!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »
Id give it to Fury.

Hamilton is just as deserving though, its not about a persons actual personality though guys, its about what they have achieved.

And both of those above have achieved something no one thought was possible.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »
Id give it to Fury.

Hamilton is just as deserving though, its not about a persons actual personality though guys, its about what they have achieved.

And both of those above have achieved something no one thought was possible.

Then perhaps they should rename it for what it actually is, 'Sports Person of the Year'. Personalities win nothing, sports person do.
MAGA!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 10:16:08 AM »
Id give it to Fury.......

Sorry to break this to you Tom, but I don't think he's that way inclined chap  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 11:11:06 AM »
Sorry to break this to you Tom, but I don't think he's that way inclined chap  ;D .

Im pretty sure he could fight me off if I tried  ;D

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 11:12:54 AM »
Then perhaps they should rename it for what it actually is, 'Sports Person of the Year'. Personalities win nothing, sports person do.

True, but personality in the title is different to what people are describing it as. Sports celebrity of the year is a better title

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 11:52:55 AM »
I'd give it to Fury.

Hamilton is good at driving about but driving cars round in a circle isn't a sport.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 12:13:23 PM »
I'd give it to Fury.

Hamilton is good at driving about but driving cars round in a circle isn't a sport.

Of course it is!! Do you even understand the physical condition you have to be into drive one of those cars?

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 12:20:13 PM »
There's not a standout candidate for me this year so Sturt Broad for me with Fury second.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 12:37:47 PM »
Of course it is!! Do you even understand the physical condition you have to be into drive one of those cars?

Robot Wars for adults.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 12:47:53 PM »
I'm with Dave. Driving a car isnt what I call a sport it's all about technology. Hamilton will win it though.

When Fury smashes Joshua (he will if his mind stands up to the test) he will win it and when Hollie becomes Champion jockey (and I think she will) she will win it.

If both those happen in the same year Fury gets it due to all the publicity and hullabaloo.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:50:49 PM by Atomic »

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »
Fury and ronnie the only ones with "personality" anyway.

Hope fury gets it his comeback was unreal and the work he does with charities shouldn't be ignored

Beat me to it.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2020, 01:02:51 PM »
It's a silly award anyway, does anyone watch or even care anymore?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2020, 01:07:09 PM »
It's a silly award anyway, does anyone watch or even care anymore?

It's the BBC.

Few people have time for the BBC anymore.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2020, 01:07:42 PM »

As good as Hamilton's physical condition is' the only chance he would have against Deontay Wilder would be to run him over

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2020, 01:18:21 PM »
It's the BBC.

Few people have time for the BBC anymore.
Exactly, totally silly. They don't even show most of the sports involved, these days so, they are basically asking people to vote on stuff they have watched on other channels.
If it was BBC exclusive it would have to be a snooker player or a female footballer.
Let it go beeb and give jug ears and bald ring a wage cut.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2020, 02:00:26 PM »
As good as Hamilton's physical condition is' the only chance he would have against Deontay Wilder would be to run him over
different sports with different requirements, Wilder would struggle to get into an F1 car let alone drive it at a competitive speed, even then he’d be exhausted by the end.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 03:25:41 PM »
These awards will soon lose all meaning people moaning that only one woman was selected so you can see where that's going it won't be based on achievement and ability but on getting the right mix of woman/male black/white and various sexual combinations much like the rest of society!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 03:49:04 PM »
Robot Wars for adults.

It really isnt....

But thats your opinion

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 03:50:22 PM »
I'm with Dave. Driving a car isnt what I call a sport it's all about technology. Hamilton will win it though.

When Fury smashes Joshua (he will if his mind stands up to the test) he will win it and when Hollie becomes Champion jockey (and I think she will) she will win it.

If both those happen in the same year Fury gets it due to all the publicity and hullabaloo.

Again, its not just about the tech....

The physical condition you have to be to drive one of those cars is unreal, its a sport plain and simple for me.

If its just about the tech then I expect George Russell will win the race this week as the understudy driver

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »
It really isnt....

But thats your opinion

Exactly, if it does it for you then it's all good.

Christ, I love cricket and they stop that halfway through for cakes and sandwiches.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2020, 05:10:16 PM »
Since this is 'off topic' I guess a tangent is more allowed.....

The physical condition you need to be in to drive an F1 is massively over exaggerated in my opinion, particularly by those in the field.  Yes a lot of them are in decent condition, but they are dedicated, focused young professionals who have a lot of spare time to hit the gym and stay healthy. In a field where cash is splashed to shed lbs. from the car, it makes sense for drivers to be lean and not add unnecessary weight too. it is also why most F1 drivers i believe are quite short.

I mean 17,18 year olds like Lando, Max and Lance have been put in these machines and handled the physicality just fine and they are hardly physical specimen.

The car cannot be discounted either though and its become more and more important in recent times. Look at drivers over the years who've appeared to average but then suddenly in the right car for a given season have won championships (Jensen, Rosberg spring to mind)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2020, 06:12:12 PM »
Exactly, if it does it for you then it's all good.

Christ, I love cricket and they stop that halfway through for cakes and sandwiches.

:D :D

My kind of sport with breaks for cakes

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2020, 06:18:00 PM »
Since this is 'off topic' I guess a tangent is more allowed.....

The physical condition you need to be in to drive an F1 is massively over exaggerated in my opinion, particularly by those in the field.  Yes a lot of them are in decent condition, but they are dedicated, focused young professionals who have a lot of spare time to hit the gym and stay healthy. In a field where cash is splashed to shed lbs. from the car, it makes sense for drivers to be lean and not add unnecessary weight too. it is also why most F1 drivers i believe are quite short.

I mean 17,18 year olds like Lando, Max and Lance have been put in these machines and handled the physicality just fine and they are hardly physical specimen.

The car cannot be discounted either though and its become more and more important in recent times. Look at drivers over the years who've appeared to average but then suddenly in the right car for a given season have won championships (Jensen, Rosberg spring to mind)

They’ve also been driving for years, through different formulas, they haven’t left school and been dropped into an F1 car, it’s taken them years of working hard and dedication at their sport to get the opportunity to drive in F1

The stress on the body is unreal. Especially the neck. It takes serious conditioning for them to be able to drive these machines

Also they lose a serious amount of weight each race, you have to be in good physical condition to do that week in, week out and in practice.

The car can’t be discounted agreed, but if it’s just about the car then George Russell should win when he replaces Hamilton this weekend.

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2020, 06:42:47 PM »
Pedal cars.   Then it would be a Sport.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2020, 07:09:41 PM »
different sports with different requirements, Wilder would struggle to get into an F1 car let alone drive it at a competitive speed, even then he’d be exhausted by the end.

Puts head in hands and sniggers !

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2020, 07:15:14 PM »
They’ve also been driving for years, through different formulas, they haven’t left school and been dropped into an F1 car, it’s taken them years of working hard and dedication at their sport to get the opportunity to drive in F1

The stress on the body is unreal. Especially the neck. It takes serious conditioning for them to be able to drive these machines

Also they lose a serious amount of weight each race, you have to be in good physical condition to do that week in, week out and in practice.

The car can’t be discounted agreed, but if it’s just about the car then George Russell should win when he replaces Hamilton this weekend.

I know that and that they would have been in karts, probably at 5 years old. Anyone who’s been karting for an hour will tell you it’s does take it out of you. The vibrations take their toll so god knows what the G in an F1 is like. However I just don’t think they at that physically special or that it would take any huge amount of conditioning training to get f1 ready.

Russell doesn’t need to win, if he comes top 10 that’ll probably at least I’m off show how mush a car can be an advantage.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2020, 04:59:35 PM »
I think Tyson Fury might not the award as he told the BBC to remove him of the list as he did it for his fans and the community he doesn't want an ward for that fair play to him even more reason why if they keep him he should win it but I could understand him not wanting to question is who will replace him on the list if they take him off

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2020, 05:15:24 PM »
What about Adam Peaty? Broke his own World records again in the swimming pool, now if you want to see a bloke who is conditioned..........! I don’t know who is on the SPOTY list, is Peaty even on it? It is now the Lineker and Balding show; not for me.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »
Oh yes, and what about Tao Geoghegan Hart, the young cyclist that recently won the Giro d’Italia? Cycling, The Toughest Sport!

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2020, 07:03:37 PM »
Oh yes, and what about Tao Geoghegan Hart, the young cyclist that recently won the Giro d’Italia? Cycling, The Toughest Sport!

That's not a bad shout at all, especially given how much of an outsider he was. Cycling has had its limelight when it comes to SPOTY though

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2020, 07:34:09 PM »
Not having Adam Peaty and Tao Geohegan Hart on the list is ridiculous, just shows how out of touch the BBC are. The poll at the head of this thread should include the option of not voting at all.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 03:27:08 PM by OldburyWBA »

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2020, 07:55:57 PM »
No one voted for Henderson I see Which I agree with Whenever Manchester City win the league Raheem Sterling is not put on the list but Liverpool did and Henderson is why

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2020, 09:54:32 AM »
No one voted for Henderson I see Which I agree with Whenever Manchester City win the league Raheem Sterling is not put on the list but Liverpool did and Henderson is why

Henderson is the captain and figurehead maybe? It’s certainly not about race if that is what you’re alluding to. The beeb would have Stering straight on the list if they could because he would be another one ticked on the old diversity quota.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2020, 10:21:32 AM »
Has to be Hamilton for me.
He will become the greatest F1 driver of all time and he's English!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2020, 10:31:18 AM »

On paper he is English, won’t pay any tax to English HMRC though or won’t live here!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2020, 10:41:04 AM »
On paper he is English, won’t pay any tax to English HMRC though or won’t live here!
Precisely, it takes more than being born in a country to appreciate it and its culture and that applies to many, not just Hamilton.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2020, 11:01:03 AM »

If you think that Lewis Hamilton is the greatest F1 driver, I would suggest that you have little knowledge of motor racing. He has the best car by miles and there are getting on for 20 races a season in which to rack up the ‘wins’ against largely uncompetitive opposition. In 1957, for example there were eight races in the F1 World Championship. It is just absurd to suggest that Hamilton is a greater driver than Juan Manuel Fangio, for example, just because his tally of wins is higher. Also, where are Hamilton’s sports car race wins? Or his Indy500 wins? Or his saloon car wins? It takes a lot more than racking up wins in the best car available to be in the Grand Prix driver class.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2020, 11:01:33 AM »

So 3rd/test driver Russell puts Hamilton's car 2nd on the grid, narrowly missing pole to the other Mercedes. That tells me that the car is very special and that the majority of F1 drivers could do very well in the world championship in that car.

I used to be bored watching Schumacher winning time after time, and I am once again bored watching Hamilton win time and time again in the best car in the world. Love to see what Hamilton could do in a Williams, other than complain about how bad it was.

Anyone but Hamilton for me, but he will win it, along with next years world championship, and probably the one after as well.
MAGA!

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2020, 11:53:14 AM »
Henderson is the captain and figurehead maybe? It’s certainly not about race if that is what you’re alluding to. The beeb would have Stering straight on the list if they could because he would be another one ticked on the old diversity quota.
Not race at all just asking why because I'm guessing only British People get on Raheem Sterling, Phil Foden or so get in when Man City won the league but Henderson does. The Beeb would have loved Rushford to be on there or Sterling

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2020, 11:55:00 AM »
So 3rd/test driver Russell puts Hamilton's car 2nd on the grid, narrowly missing pole to the other Mercedes. That tells me that the car is very special and that the majority of F1 drivers could do very well in the world championship in that car.

I used to be bored watching Schumacher winning time after time, and I am once again bored watching Hamilton win time and time again in the best car in the world. Love to see what Hamilton could do in a Williams, other than complain about how bad it was.

Anyone but Hamilton for me, but he will win it, along with next years world championship, and probably the one after as well.
Next year yes The year after he probably will retire after 8 having broke the Record

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2020, 02:41:04 PM »

He was the 5000th highest taxed person in the UK last year

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2020, 06:17:28 PM »
He's a proper racer.
He's a 7 times world champion.
If he wins one more title he will become the greatest F1 driver of all time.
Also I do love my F1 and I do have knowledge of the series.
Whether he lives in UK or not is irellevant.
He has a personality and is in a sport
Therefore he qualifies.
He's a winner.
 More wins, more poles equals best driver in the best car,like it or not.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2020, 06:57:02 PM »
He's a proper racer.
He's a 7 times world champion.
If he wins one more title he will become the greatest F1 driver of all time.
Also I do love my F1 and I do have knowledge of the series.
Whether he lives in UK or not is irellevant.
He has a personality and is in a sport
Therefore he qualifies.
He's a winner.
 More wins, more poles equals best driver in the best car,like it or not.

Any half decent driver would get wins and championships in that car, as Russell almost proved this weekend
I also have knowledge, and I work in Motorsport
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2020, 07:40:56 PM »
But he's done it mate!
You may be right but you also may be wrong.
Irrelevant that you work in Motorsport so what?
What's your point?

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2020, 08:52:52 PM »
But he's done it mate!
You may be right but you also may be wrong.
Irrelevant that you work in Motorsport so what?
What's your point?
Just countering your comment about having "knowledge of the series" Most people I have contact with in the Motorsport world agree that Mercedes / Hamiltons success is mostly the car.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2020, 09:24:41 PM »
Car drives itself does it?
You guys are getting too personal,its only my opinion just like yours.
Have a bit of respect with your answers or you may not like my responses to you.
Don't be personal

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2020, 09:51:38 PM »
Have a bit of respect with your answers or you may not like my responses to you.
Don't be personal
No the car doesn't drive itself. The point is that with such a good car, anyone half decent could win in it, as would have happened today but for a pit stop shambles and a puncture
It needed someone else to drive to prove Hamilton is not all he's cracked up to be

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2020, 10:32:25 PM »
Don't be personal

Not getting personal, just that your assertion that more wins equals the greatest ever driver is nonsense. Having the best car by far, many more races than past eras, coupled with unrivalled reliability equals more wins; as for ability, it just shows that Hamilton can drive the best car by far more quickly than drivers in inferior machinery

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2020, 11:44:18 PM »
No the car doesn't drive itself. The point is that with such a good car, anyone half decent could win in it, as would have happened today but for a pit stop shambles and a puncture
It needed someone else to drive to prove Hamilton is not all he's cracked up to be

Sorry don’t agree...

His driving in the rain sets him apart from rest.

His drive the week before coming from midfield was all him.

He’s a class driver, a legend of F1.

And I can’t stand the bloke

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2020, 11:44:35 PM »
But anyone half decent didn't win in the Mercedes did they.
Where did Russell finish?
9th.
A puncture could happen to anyone or even a bump or crash its seeing potential problems and taking risks and chances that makes Hamilton great also outstanding in the rain,try it.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2020, 11:49:01 PM »
But anyone half decent didn't win in the Mercedes did they.
Where did Russell finish?
9th.
A puncture could happen to anyone or even a bump or crash its seeing potential problems and taking risks and chances that makes Hamilton great also outstanding in the rain,try it.

Succinctly put fella...

Couldn’t agree more. His in race management is excellent.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2020, 08:09:41 AM »
The slightly cynical me wonders if Mercedes screwed up their normally flawless pit lane work on Russells car for a reason. Imagine the headline today had he have won 'rookie racing driver who has never finished in the top 10 wins in Hamiltons car'.

Lewis would not be happy.

I concur with Toms post, great racing driver [clean as well] and extremely good in the wet conditions, but......
MAGA!

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2020, 10:56:16 AM »
The slightly cynical me wonders if Mercedes screwed up their normally flawless pit lane work on Russells car for a reason. Imagine the headline today had he have won 'rookie racing driver who has never finished in the top 10 wins in Hamiltons car'.

Lewis would not be happy.

I concur with Toms post, great racing driver [clean as well] and extremely good in the wet conditions, but......

That thought occurred to me, too!

Hamilton is a very good racing driver but ‘great’? He’s never really been tested against serious opposition over several seasons. Yes, he’s good in the rain but by no means the first driver to excel in the wet. It’s very difficult to compare drivers of different eras but if one checks back to look at the achievements of some of the greats of the past, Hamilton just doesn’t come close.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2020, 10:14:03 PM »
As expected Lewis Hamilton is crowned BBC Sports Personality of the Year
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2020, 10:39:19 PM »
As expected Lewis Hamilton is crowned BBC Sports Personality of the Year
That rounds off a thoroughly rubbish evening.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2020, 11:38:30 PM »
Probably the right choice, had to be recognised eventually. A depressing list overall if you like your winners to generally keep their noses clean, but there were 4 very strong career pros in the twilight of their careers who have probably been under appreciated by the sporting world at large so in that sense it is good they have been recognised.

Saves Henderson winning as well, just off the back of a lot of Liverpool fan votes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 11:46:00 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2020, 12:30:41 AM »
Probably the right choice, had to be recognised eventually. A depressing list overall if you like your winners to generally keep their noses clean, but there were 4 very strong career pros in the twilight of their careers who have probably been under appreciated by the sporting world at large so in that sense it is good they have been recognised.

Saves Henderson winning as well, just off the back of a lot of Liverpool fan votes.

SPOTY is now a total waste of time. Once upon a time you could vote for whoever you wanted to; now you are told who you can vote for. IMO, the bloke that had the greatest sporting achievement of the year wasn’t even on the list, Tao Geohegan Hart, and one of our greatest swimmers, Adam Peaty, also was omitted from the contenders.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2020, 07:44:34 AM »
Who watches this rubbish anymore?

Could have told you the winner before the show started.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2020, 08:09:49 AM »

I think we all did on this thread Tom, as predictable as next years F1 championship winner.

A completely pointless show.
MAGA!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2020, 08:29:27 AM »
I think we all did on this thread Tom, as predictable as next years F1 championship winner.

For sure mate.

I haven’t watched it in 10-15 years.

Everyone knows the winner before it’s aired

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2020, 11:11:29 AM »

Hamilton has confirmed retirement I read the headline somewhere but it might be the end for him he might not go to win the eigth

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2020, 12:54:50 PM »

I recorded it just to watch Rick Astley  :D

Even then they showed videos of people over the song so it was pointless having him on.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2020, 02:43:19 PM »
Hamilton has confirmed retirement I read the headline somewhere but it might be the end for him he might not go to win the eigth

No he hasn’t mate.

That was a headline on YouTube from someone who plays F1 career mode. He retired in the game.

He’s very much around to try for his 8th title

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2020, 04:44:05 PM »

Agree with you 100% tommmcneill. Boring,pointless load of backslappers.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2020, 04:51:14 PM »
I recorded it just to watch Rick Astley  :D

Even then they showed videos of people over the song so it was pointless having him on.

You need to get out more chap  ;)
MAGA!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2020, 05:32:50 PM »
I flicked the BBC1. Gabby Logan and Claire Balding were dancing and then Alex Scott tried to Convinced Gary Linekar to dance who begrudging shimmied a shoulder. It was very cringeworthy  and i turned it off immediately.

My Dad and I used to make a night of it every year. If it wasn't for this forum I'd have had no idea who was even nominated this year. Load of old tosh!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2020, 05:54:47 PM »
You need to get out more chap  ;)

Always been a Rick Astley fan  :D