0 (0%)
Matt Phillips
0 (0%)
Kenneth Zohore
0 (0%)
Semi Ajayi
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: 14 Aug 2021 Albion 3 Luton Town 2  (Read 27993 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #300 on: August 15, 2021, 11:13:53 AM »
Our squad is severely lacking in depth, in numbers to some extent and certainly in quality, so he can only bring on who he's got available to him. If people are saying he shouldn't have made any substitutions, then the first choice XI are going to be out on their feet by the end of the week.

Valerien has said that squad rotation is going to be key with his style of play so, having appointed him, it's up to the board to provide him with the squad to do the job. His style of play isn't one that you can cut corners on without losing its effectiveness pretty quickly.

Worrying part from me is that he's come out more than once in recent weeks to say he's happy with what he has.
I just hope he's a strong enough character to stand up to the board and tell them if he needs reinforcements.
ASs you say the high press game will tell on the players. We do need quality reinforcements.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #301 on: August 15, 2021, 11:20:39 AM »
For 70 minutes we were very good. Townsend at fault for the first goal, as someone said he took a couple of touches he didn't need to apart from that he had another good game. Bartley and Johnstone made a balls up for the second.

Glad Grant got his goal, he should have had one in the first half but chose to try and set Robinson up rather than shoot.

Whatever is wrong with Diangana needs to be worked out and worked on. He is pretty much a passenger at the moment, struggles to beat a man and looks scared of a challenge. I really hope we can get the Diangana back that we had before the injury at Blues about 18 months ago. Once Robinson and Grant went off we lost most of the attacking intent as Phillips can't do it all himself and Zohore was useless, how we need someone like Daryl Dikes who can hold the ball up and also score.

Livermore was good for 70 minutes and Mowatt had another good game, his dead ball delivery is decent too.

Impressed with Clarke and him and O'Shea need to be 2 of the 3 CBs.

Referee was dire again, after the stoppage he gave Luton pretty much everything, even goal kicks which should have been corners and throw ins which were clearly ours.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #302 on: August 15, 2021, 11:31:00 AM »
For the record;

Attendance: 23,283
Home: 21,850
Away: 1,433

Less than 22K home, poor IMO given the circumstances.
Given the capacity now must be down to around 25k , away side had 2 k that leaves in the region of 1500 empty seats. Take into account it is the middle of August so some in even these times will be on holiday , others will be involved in summer sports , many I know gave up trying to get tickets because of the problems with purchasing , there were apparently also problems on the roads which led to a few giving up and not getting to the ground, train cancellations, as well as some not wanting to be in crowds in the current health climate and all in all I don’t think it was too bad of an effort by supporters!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Man of the match vs Luton
« Reply #303 on: August 15, 2021, 01:34:37 PM »
Agree with the others - Dara O’Shea for me. Thought he was superb
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #304 on: August 15, 2021, 02:01:45 PM »
Agree with the others - Dara O’Shea for me. Thought he was superb

His best game in an Albion shirt. Faultless yesterday.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #305 on: August 15, 2021, 02:09:38 PM »
the criticism of the defence may be justified but Luton had one or two powerful quick forwards and no one up front after our substitutions was holding the ball up so the pressure kept coming on our defence to keep out the powerful,willing strikers.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #306 on: August 15, 2021, 02:21:28 PM »
the criticism of the defence may be justified but Luton had one or two powerful quick forwards and no one up front after our substitutions was holding the ball up so the pressure kept coming on our defence to keep out the powerful,willing strikers.
They also got very lucky with both. Yes Townsend dallied too long but, for that deflection to go where it did was unbelievable. 99 times out of 100 that's a throw in or, at worst a corner. Put it this way, it was Luton's best cross of the day!

The second one was a complete cock up, Johnstone in no man's land, Bartley with a powder puff, fifty pence head, header but still needed the luck to drop twice to an attacking player despite the attempts of OShea.

At the end of the day though, we won, they didn't. We were brilliant for an hour, we just need to build on it and improve fitness and subs.

To anyone complaining, let me ask you a question? Would you take the same on Wednesday, as in, 3-0 up, win 3-2? If not then you are in for a long season.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #307 on: August 15, 2021, 04:47:05 PM »
Mowatt for me. Combines anticipating tackles and then winning them, with incisive passing. I think he set up our third goal.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #308 on: August 15, 2021, 05:25:53 PM »
Mowatt for me. Combines anticipating tackles and then winning them, with incisive passing. I think he set up our third goal.
Agree 100% mate.
We are all complaining about not spending millions, yet, our best players yesterday were Mowatt (Free) and OShea (Academy)
Worst player on the pitch cost £8m.  ::) ::)

I'm happy to trust VI to get it right, so far, nothing to suggest he won't.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #309 on: August 15, 2021, 05:33:08 PM »
You’ll be proved wrong, again.

Good bit of false revisionism on your behalf.

2019/20 I backed the players and staff to get over the line and they did, and told anyone moaning that we had relatively over performed with that squad to do what we did.

2020/21 I said we had no chance of survival and should have kept Bilic and the squad together to try get promoted again this season and that sacking the manager would damage us long term. I was right on all counts.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #310 on: August 15, 2021, 06:55:48 PM »

2019/20 I backed the players and staff to get over the line and they did, and told anyone moaning that we had relatively over performed with that squad to do what we did.

2020/21 I said we had no chance of survival and should have kept Bilic and the squad together to try get promoted again this season and that sacking the manager would damage us long term. I was right on all counts.

At last a true prophet,
Any chance of telling us what will happen this season? If it's play offs I can book my holidays accordingly
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #311 on: August 15, 2021, 07:21:56 PM »

:D Brilliant. Predicted we might go up from the Championship and get relegated from the Prem. How on earth do you do it?

Can you give me  4 home wins for next Saturday? Or maybe Euromillions numbers? :D

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #312 on: August 15, 2021, 07:25:10 PM »
At last a true prophet,
Any chance of telling us what will happen this season? If it's play offs I can book my holidays accordingly

;D If we don’t strengthen the squad 4th at very best. That’s as brave as I’m willing to be. Overall, I’m predicting we will not be promoted and it wouldn’t surprise me if things got very ugly.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2021, 07:38:26 PM »
;D If we don’t strengthen the squad 4th at very best. That’s as brave as I’m willing to be. Overall, I’m predicting we will not be promoted and it wouldn’t surprise me if things got very ugly.
Let's set up a poll AFTER the window closes then.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2021, 08:13:41 PM »
Let's set up a poll AFTER the window closes then.

I'd be up for that. If we bring in three quality players I'll be a lot more optimistic.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2021, 08:23:56 PM »
I'd be up for that. If we bring in three quality players I'll be a lot more optimistic.
Deal!
No ambiguity just predict a position  ;)

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #316 on: August 16, 2021, 06:24:19 AM »
I would be very surprised if we brought in anyone of any quality and certainly not of Premier League standard. Maybe a couple of loanees or a ‘free’ and that’s it.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2021, 12:19:38 PM »
Given the capacity now must be down to around 25k , away side had 2 k that leaves in the region of 1500 empty seats. Take into account it is the middle of August so some in even these times will be on holiday , others will be involved in summer sports , many I know gave up trying to get tickets because of the problems with purchasing , there were apparently also problems on the roads which led to a few giving up and not getting to the ground, train cancellations, as well as some not wanting to be in crowds in the current health climate and all in all I don’t think it was too bad of an effort by supporters!
Yeah my mate said M6 was awful as he was trying to get to Brum with his Girlfriend on the Bus also WMR have reduced the service out of Snow Hill due to the ping surge.

I am yet to watch the Highlights but based on what I have heard we were dominant then fell apart due to Tiredness. VI maybe saying he is happy to keep the squad motivated when in reality he could actually be in the ear of Ken saying I want these players can you get them. I do it myself on Fifa, I say I am happy when in reality maybe a couple of more signings are required to have depth and allow Younger Attacking Players who can play in a range of roles to come in but have Quality still around.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country