Author Topic: Valérien Ismaël leaves WBA  (Read 469828 times)

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

Re: Valérien Ismaël - Head Coach
« Reply #2100 on: December 18, 2021, 04:50:25 PM »
I'm disappointed in his inability/ stubbornness in changing things around and I'm disappointed in how lacklustre we are since he has come in.

But to say he is the worst manager since Gould is beyond ridiculous and smacks of short term memory loss. He is most certainly better than Pardew. Controversial but I'd say he is better than our past four managers.

He clearly isn't getting things right for the majority of the time but
a) our squad is the weakest it has been in about 20 years - you can't polish a t***
b) our owner has short arms and deep pockets
c) we are currently still in the mix. Bournemouth lost today and there are only four clubs on over 40 points.
d) in this league (and obviously not in the Prem) we are missing a striker or two. Loan or otherwise, it could be enough to make a difference.

We've spent a handful of years in the Prem and seem to have this attitude of entitlement. Sure our expectations are not being met but let's be real. We haven't got the squad to go up, we certainly haven't got the squad to stay up and we for the foreseeable future have most certainly not got the owners to move us forward in any way shape or form.

We can't afford to get rid and even if we did just imagine what we'd get next.

As you were.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2101 on: December 18, 2021, 05:04:58 PM »
Its not about individuals. The original point I was answering was about tactics and positions.
Actually, it's very much about individuals what is the point of playing Hugill and playing the ball up to him we would be better with an extra midfielder and adapting our football to suit .
That's football, in a nutshell, you play to your strengths the main reason why many fans now doubt VI  and  his inability to adapt, playing Hugill is making the team worse.

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2102 on: December 18, 2021, 05:11:33 PM »
Just one point, unless you are saying play with more up front, how is playing with less up front going to make us more potent?  Its like saying playing with less men behind the ball is going to tighten up the defence.

Seriously? How many managers play three up front? Hardly any. How many persist with it when you’re not scoring? One. Our clown.

When you don’t have enough strikers you don’t play the bad ones like Hugil. You change the way you play and get midfield to get more. It’s how Albion use to play rather well.

Look at Cooper at Forest. A good manager can take a decent bunch of players and make it work. We have the utter opposite.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2103 on: December 18, 2021, 06:33:04 PM »
Seriously? How many managers play three up front? Hardly any. How many persist with it when you’re not scoring? One. Our clown.

When you don’t have enough strikers you don’t play the bad ones like Hugil. You change the way you play and get midfield to get more. It’s how Albion use to play rather well.

Look at Cooper at Forest. A good manager can take a decent bunch of players and make it work. We have the utter opposite.
This is spot on.  I can't believe what this guy is doing week after week.  We probably won't lose more than 10 games, which is kind of a benchmark for promotion, but we won't win enough to get automatic.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2104 on: December 18, 2021, 06:38:12 PM »
VI when asked why he reverted back to his faves

"“It’s important that everyone is available. Everyone deserved to play after the game last week, but we put the legs back in defence and everyone on his position. We have won lots of games with the starting XI from Friday, so there was no reason to move away from that and change many players."

Guy is clueless. Fridays starting XI has been struggling since Peterborough away.

Please fire him.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2105 on: December 18, 2021, 07:28:09 PM »
I wish Val would take a leaf out of Arteta’s book. The Arsenal boss has given several youngsters their head in the Premier League  -  and just look where the Gunners are now! They are playing some superb football and are now in the top four. Come on Val give more of our Under 23s a regular chance. They can’t do any worse than your favourites who get selected irrespective of  how they are playing.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2106 on: December 18, 2021, 08:49:11 PM »
I wish Val would take a leaf out of Arteta’s book. The Arsenal boss has given several youngsters their head in the Premier League  -  and just look where the Gunners are now! They are playing some superb football and are now in the top four. Come on Val give more of our Under 23s a regular chance. They can’t do any worse than your favourites who get selected irrespective of  how they are playing.

Can't argue with this in fact that's what I'd love to see given that we have no purse strings.

Sadly VI can't get past his favourites. to be honest we seem to have had this attitude from coaches for some time now.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2107 on: December 19, 2021, 04:12:31 PM »
We make several half chances but we seldom get to the by line and centre hard or pull it back so our strikers are facing the target and the defenders are facing their own goal.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2108 on: December 19, 2021, 06:34:49 PM »
Can't argue with this in fact that's what I'd love to see given that we have no purse strings.

Sadly VI can't get past his favourites. to be honest we seem to have had this attitude from coaches for some time now.

It's really difficult going into a new job where there are several old hands that have influence over the team/office/workshop.  You suggest something and everyone looks at the influencer to see what he thinks about it.  It's necessary to be really strong-minded.   Perhaps the wrong step was to make Livermore captain; it reinforces his untouchability.
It's the difference between Erikson not being able to take an ineffective Beckham off and Scolari substituting Figo.  I hope that VI will get to this stage.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 06:41:19 PM by NJS »
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2109 on: December 20, 2021, 02:25:18 AM »
 ;D If you are any sort of manager..."with balls"..... you have to make these calls and put out your best side every week on "form" and "results".
There are 3 players that should have played against Barnsley....due to their impressive form (and one plays for the U23's) and banging in goals for fun. (I don't have to name who they are).
Need to give these players a start or some game time or they will "walk".
I am not going to point fingers at the underperforming players....we all know who they are, we all watch the same game.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2110 on: December 20, 2021, 09:34:40 AM »
;D If you are any sort of manager..."with balls"..... you have to make these calls and put out your best side every week on "form" and "results".
There are 3 players that should have played against Barnsley....due to their impressive form (and one plays for the U23's) and banging in goals for fun. (I don't have to name who they are).
Need to give these players a start or some game time or they will "walk".
I am not going to point fingers at the underperforming players....we all know who they are, we all watch the same game.
I'd have half understood reverting to the old guard if we'd had a 3 match week ahead, but the gap is10 days so no-one needs a rest

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2111 on: December 20, 2021, 09:55:13 AM »
I'd have half understood reverting to the old guard if we'd had a 3 match week ahead, but the gap is10 days so no-one needs a rest
Have to agree, there is an element of contradiction when he says everyone will be required, to justify his rotation and then saying we now have a 10 day break.

I wish Val would get banned, it may open his eyes if he watched from the stands, as he's seeing a different game to me from eye level.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2112 on: December 20, 2021, 11:11:24 AM »
Applying logic and assuming VI considered the team that played against Barnsley his strongest 11 the question I ask is Barnsley are a poor side if anything you could afford to play a slightly weaker team against them and save a couple of senior players for the harder game against Derby.
For me, it just doesn't add up.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2113 on: December 20, 2021, 12:43:58 PM »
Many of the criticisms on here about the team selection last Friday I agree with. However, it does not change the fact that, had we not missed at least 4 very clear chances, 3 points would have been the outcome.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2114 on: December 20, 2021, 02:20:34 PM »
For me there are frustrations, including tactics and team selection. BUT we have no given right to be walking the league and we're in the right area at the halfway stage despite a glaring issue in scoring.

Hugill needs to be nowhere near the team again, he simply isn't good enough. Val can't honestly be judged till hes had at least two transfer windows and at least modest backing.

The owners, whoever they are, have a vested interest in getting us up and at this stage we have a solid chance. To finish 7th or below would involve a severe drop in results, so we should be ok for Playoffs at least.

I'm glad he has a 4 year contract, as it prompts the club to actually stick with him and not make kneejerk reactions.

To be fair. After Pulis we could be run any almost anyone and i'd give them time.

I'm still fairly hopeful with Val
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2115 on: December 20, 2021, 02:32:33 PM »
Many of the criticisms on here about the team selection last Friday I agree with. However, it does not change the fact that, had we not missed at least 4 very clear chances, 3 points would have been the outcome.

we have had quite a few type of games like the reading game were we have just managed to get over the line after having many chances. this happens far to often. get the purchases right in January and all might be forgiven. Cant see us getting much out of the next away game either
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2116 on: December 20, 2021, 03:05:12 PM »

4-3-3 is a very well tested and succesful formation and there's no reason why 3-4-3 can't be successful.  The problem is that the players are not implementing it properly.

If you're talking going 4-4-2, I can think of loads of Albion teams that have struggled to score with it. Bobby Gould's being just one of them.  You need the width going forward to stretch the defence. If you go narrow, its much easier for an organised compact defence. Its about numbers in and around the box, and when you as the attacking side are heavily outnumbered, its more difficult to find a way through.

You can argue the current set of players are not finding a way through, but that's because they can't anticipate, shoot or head accurately. I accept also there is not enough quick link up play from midfield and that the standard of crosses varies between average and abysmal.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2117 on: December 20, 2021, 04:01:16 PM »
Actually, it's very much about individuals what is the point of playing Hugill and playing the ball up to him we would be better with an extra midfielder and adapting our football to suit .
That's football, in a nutshell, you play to your strengths the main reason why many fans now doubt VI  and  his inability to adapt, playing Hugill is making the team worse.
You've turned my points into a discussion about Hugill. Yes, I agree that Hugill shouldn't be in the starting team, but we still need to get bodies forward high up the pitch. We still need a player in a central position well forward.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2118 on: December 20, 2021, 04:47:26 PM »

Jurgen Klopp? Of course different quality of player but in answer to your question.  Rigid in playing a front three. Took him a few seasons to successfully implement it though. Vierra at Palace another one I believe. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:58:30 PM by Oldbury24 »

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2119 on: December 20, 2021, 06:49:38 PM »
Jurgen Klopp? Of course different quality of player but in answer to your question.  Rigid in playing a front three. Took him a few seasons to successfully implement it though. Vierra at Palace another one I believe.

But Klopp didn’t play it until he’d got the players. Also watch how Klopp changes tactics during a game. He adapts and that is why he is a top manager.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2120 on: December 20, 2021, 08:08:41 PM »
But Klopp didn’t play it until he’d got the players. Also watch how Klopp changes tactics during a game. He adapts and that is why he is a top manager.

A quick Google shows him playing 3 up top back in 2015 with a combination of Ibe, Firmino, Llalana, Millner, Benteke and others.   Saying something with confidence doesn't necessarily make it factual.

And he may change tactics, but does he change formation? I have seen us change tactics at times throughout the season, just not the formation.   
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 08:13:00 PM by Oldbury24 »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2121 on: December 20, 2021, 10:12:55 PM »
A quick Google shows him playing 3 up top back in 2015 with a combination of Ibe, Firmino, Llalana, Millner, Benteke and others.   Saying something with confidence doesn't necessarily make it factual.

And he may change tactics, but does he change formation? I have seen us change tactics at times throughout the season, just not the formation.   

Just so you know I don't think you're supposed to notice that. And whatever happens you're most definitely never supposed to mention it, at all. Wouldn't want you upsetting anyone who hasn't noticed. Be told  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2122 on: December 21, 2021, 09:11:06 AM »
The level of vitriol towards Val on here and on social media is quite staggering really. Yes there are many decisions he makes that frustrate me, as well as his general stubborness, but he has inherited a poor squad, one without a striker of note, has not been backed in the market and has us within touch of the automatic promotion places.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2123 on: December 21, 2021, 09:41:23 AM »
The level of vitriol towards Val on here and on social media is quite staggering really. Yes there are many decisions he makes that frustrate me, as well as his general stubborness, but he has inherited a poor squad, one without a striker of note, has not been backed in the market and has us within touch of the automatic promotion places.
Like your vitriol towards Furlong every time we play?

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2124 on: December 21, 2021, 10:01:54 AM »
Like your vitriol towards Furlong every time we play?
Livermore too
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride