Author Topic: OFFICIAL EUROPEAN FOOTBALL THREAD  (Read 98842 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL EUROPEAN FOOTBALL THREAD
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2020, 02:35:59 PM »
It looks like Sky in Germany have got all the rights for Live matches tied up for the re-start. Can't find any first or second league games scheduled on German public free-to-air channels. Just highlights. Precedent for the Premier League? Hope not.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2020, 03:49:37 PM »
Is it worth us as a forum adopting a Bundesliga club? I know a few might already have a team, but for those who don’t, it might be a light hearted distraction.

A few obvious ones are:

Hertha Berlin - Blue and while stripes, although we have not all that much in common with them.

Eintracht Frankfurt - Paired with Birmingham, so really more of a club for Blues or Villa, but we are in the border.

Schalke - Seem the obvious choice. Play in Blue and White, come from the German version of the Black Country with the heavy industry and their local rivals play in a dirty yellow (Dortmund).

Shall we adopt one of them?
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2020, 03:59:16 PM »
I've been following Frankfurt just because i like their name.

Edit - BBC have also done a 'who should you support guide' and it comes out as WBA=Frankfurt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52632680

Only Bundesliga game i've seen live was Bayer Leverkausen but it wass the worst game i ever witnessed so thats a no-go for me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:08:28 PM by gazberg »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2020, 06:28:12 PM »
Is it worth us as a forum adopting a Bundesliga club? I know a few might already have a team, but for those who don’t, it might be a light hearted distraction.

A few obvious ones are:

Hertha Berlin - Blue and while stripes, although we have not all that much in common with them.

Eintracht Frankfurt - Paired with Birmingham, so really more of a club for Blues or Villa, but we are in the border.

Schalke - Seem the obvious choice. Play in Blue and White, come from the German version of the Black Country with the heavy industry and their local rivals play in a dirty yellow (Dortmund).

Shall we adopt one of them?

No thank you, I support West Bromwich Albion.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2020, 07:50:31 PM »
No thank you, I support West Bromwich Albion.

Same, one club is enough for me... 😉
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2020, 09:53:57 PM »
I spend a fair amount of time in Germany, and indeed have German satellite TV, so I already follow Borussia Moenchengladbach and Hamburger SV. That's mainly down to me spending most time in the lower Rheinland and Hamburg regions.

Borussia M'Gladbach (usually known as 'Gladbach' to stop using too many digits) are incredibly well supported for a town about the size of Reading. They regularly get 50,000. You see their club flag everywhere in the small towns and villages up to the Dutch border. They won the league several times in the 1970's and have been threatening since to bounce back. They play decent attacking football and the atmosphere inside the Borussia Park is one of the best I've come across. Like all German clubs, having a beer and sausage around the stadium all part of the matchday ritual.

Hamburger SV are really a first divsion club now trying to get re-promoted. They won the European Cup many years ago and with Hamburg being a large port city, they still get crowds over 45,000 in the 2nd Division. The club has been incredibly poorly managed, and get through managers and directors like there's no tomorrow.

Here are some snapshots of the other runners and riders.

Bayern Munich are the Man U of Germany. I have never met a non-Bayern fan who likes them. Unfortunately they have the money and resources, and sadly it has to be said some dodgy business people, one recently spending time behind bars, but it seems every season, they are the team to beat.

Borussia Dortmund and Schalke are the 2 traditional Ruhr district rivals which is the closest you'll get to the Black Country. Footballwise Dortmund have clearly been the better in recent years. Its fair to say they are some of the most fanatical fans in the country. Some will say because there are not alot of other attractions in the Ruhr district. Its got its own heavy industrial charm if you're into old mine shafts and steel foundries. Having been out in Dortmund several times, probably like a weekend in Walsall.

Hertha and Union Berlin are the 2 Berlin clubs. Hertha was west and Union east when the wall was there. Hertha has the imposing Olympic Stadium famous from the Olympics in 1930's. Seems like it should be a big European club, but they have never quite lived up to their potential. 

Vfl Wolfsburg are also known as Wolves, so probably a reason for some to hate them. They are actually quite a different club, with alot more of a modern image due to their close association with Volkswagen. In fact, I've never come across a club so associated with their sponsor. The Volkswagen name is everywhere you look.

Bayer Leverkusen is another club closely associated with their sponsors Bayer pharma company. They have a quite decent track record in the Bundesliga, but what puzzles me is that if you visit Cologne (about 10 miles away), its all FC Koln in the bars, cafes, flags etc. You never see anything to do with Leverkusen.
FC Koln have a fanatical support, all part of Cologne being the Carnaval city No.1 , even out of Carnaval season. During Carnaval the fans come in fancy dress. They have one of the best club songs to the tune of Loch Lomond. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlZOj_vyYl4

Eintracht Frankfurt have the advantage of being a one club city so they get crowds of 50,000 plus. They got to the famous final in 1960 at Hampden where they were beaten by Real Madrid. They usually finish top half and are one of those clubs that could go on to be big again.

Red Bull Leipzig are pushing Bayern at the moment but almost as universally disliked. They are seen as a plastic club created by Red Bull. They are actually not allowed to be called Red Bull as the sponsor's name is not allowed in the title , so officially its Rasen Ballsport. 

Back in the north, Hamburger SV's traditional rivals are Werder Bremen who have the bragging rights now due to being in the First League, but they could easily swap places next season. Werder are a well supported club in the region and a long tradition of being in the top flight, but have never quite had the resources to compete at the very top.
The other Hamburg club are St Pauli. They are also in the 2nd League, where they have spent most of their existance. They are a complete one off club with a wacky, political left wing image. After a big demo in the city, police were moving on demonstrators from sleeping in parks, so the Pauli Director allowed them to kip out on the pitch.  As the club is situated in the red-light district with its many bars and dives, players were always getting caught out on all-night benders etc, but that's going back a few years.

Anyway, hope thats of some help if you want to cheer on one or other of the teams.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:59:13 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2020, 10:59:58 PM »
Wish I could go to a German league gamr Alex. I've been past Wolfsburgs ground in the train a couple of times and I remember getting stuck in Duisburg for 6 hours after a train cancellation and seeing loads of their fans milling about before a pre season game, but that's as close as i've got to German football.

Always made me laugh hiw whenever I went on holiday abroad i'd see Union Berlin fans. I think they must just be very proud so wear their colours a lot.
Boing Boing

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2020, 12:51:21 AM »
I’d like to suffer some more please!

I’ve always been drawn to Eintracht Frankfurt and I’m siding with them!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2020, 12:41:25 PM »
Wish I could go to a German league gamr Alex. I've been past Wolfsburgs ground in the train a couple of times and I remember getting stuck in Duisburg for 6 hours after a train cancellation and seeing loads of their fans milling about before a pre season game, but that's as close as i've got to German football.

Always made me laugh hiw whenever I went on holiday abroad i'd see Union Berlin fans. I think they must just be very proud so wear their colours a lot.
Union have been a bit of a surprise after getting promoted last year.  Generally clubs from the old East Germany have struggled in the Bundesliga. There's still a bit of east west rivalry. I saw them play in Hamburg and they brought a load of fans and made a helluva racket. 

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2020, 02:38:34 PM »
Cagey oening 5 mins in the Dortmund game  ;D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2020, 03:03:13 PM »
What a great team goal.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2020, 03:19:07 PM »
Now 2-0.Wierd watching the game with no fans

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2020, 03:26:29 PM »
Now 2-0.Wierd watching the game with no fans

Had less of an impact on my viewing pleasure than i thought it would. GAME ON!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »
BT Sport.
That goal by Haaland was class. You can see why so many clubs were chasing him.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2020, 03:34:40 PM »
Where are you guys watching?

Bedroom, BT Sport!

BT Sport.
That goal by Haaland was class. You can see why so many clubs were chasing him.

Yeah the first goal was a great team goal. Made me well up a little.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2020, 03:40:30 PM »
3-0. Very poor goalkeeping in my opinion.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2020, 03:54:27 PM »
3-0. Very poor goalkeeping in my opinion.
4-0

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »
It’s rubbish. I lasted about ten minutes.

I’m all for just voiding English football to be honest.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
Didn't bother me in the slightest with it being BCD. Was just great to see a game of live footy.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2020, 05:04:36 PM »
In fairness we saw some good football and goals from Dortmund. Just imagine if it had been a 0-0.
As I've been following Borussia MGladbach, I'll tune into their game at Eintracht Frankfurt in half an hour. 

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2020, 05:36:52 PM »
My team are down already

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2020, 05:53:51 PM »
I thought it was alright. The first 10 minutes was slow but I think that was to be expected given the lay off.

There will no doubt be some dull games towards the end of the season when those in mid table play each other but the relegation scrap in the prem and relevant championship battles will be decent enough.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2020, 05:57:19 PM »
Frankfurt messing it up for me immediately

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2020, 06:05:24 PM »
Frankfurt messing it up for me immediately

They are letting us down!