Author Topic: England Cricket Thread  (Read 256543 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: England Cricket Thread
« Reply #2350 on: October 13, 2021, 09:26:53 PM »
Bumbles comments regarding the selection are enlightening!!
I think there's an element of newspaper column writing so he needs to say something. For a start Crawley is already in the squad so could be picked ahead of Burns or Hameed. Bell-Drummond his figures this year are not great.
Hameed has resembled David Warner in scoring rate in comparison to Sibley. If Bumble was still England coach and in charge of things, I wonder if he'd still be brave enough to break up the Hameed Burns pairing after 2 century opening stands in 3 games. They are far from certain to be successes out there but nor would anyone else. 
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #2351 on: October 13, 2021, 09:33:57 PM »
More importantly his comments about Country Cricket is absolute on the money, until I really started watching on the streams this year its shocking how the bowling has really decreased in quality since the days I used to go up and watch.

Batsmen are coming from facing 70-80 mph on regular basis as top order in our first class then they end up facing bowlers 15-20 MPH quicker at that level, I feel for them I really do.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #2352 on: October 13, 2021, 09:36:21 PM »
I agree with the point about the openers Adder, its the best we have currently.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2353 on: October 13, 2021, 11:16:28 PM »
It doesn’t really feel right to break up the opening pair given they have been an improvement on Sibley and Crawley earlier in the year, at least not initially. I’m not sure who’s out there who would fair any better - Sibley was great in county cricket before he was exposed by international quality bowlers.

As for Mahmood and Parkinson, he might have a point but then they will almost certainly be in the Lions squad that will be touring alongside them and they could get calls ups to the later tests if (when) we struggle.

I do find the Livingstone talk a bit strange. It isn’t just Bumble, the cricket show on talk sport 2 with Harmison was the same, they clearly feel that his first class average of sub 40 doesn’t represent his true ability. I don’t know too many players who average 38 in domestic cricket and step up to a higher level and then improve their average. Are they getting carried away by his white ball exploits?

I’d like to see some more dynamism but I’m crossing my fingers that the lions squad gives us a bit of promise.
Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2354 on: October 14, 2021, 09:05:24 AM »
The Livingstone hype has a touch of the Jason Roy’s about it from 2019. Living off the hype that has been created from his one day exploits. He had an average of 11 from his six matches in the county championship last season. The experiment could work as a counter attacking force if we had a top and middle order who had some solidity - i don’t want Livingstone coming in when we’re 50-4.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2355 on: October 14, 2021, 09:10:05 AM »
As for Bumbles article and rant.

Great sound bites but lacking in solutions. Moans about the openers but does not suggest a replacement.

Out of all of the ranting his only suggestion is Mahmood.

There is a dearth of English fast bowlers nowadays. County cricket is designed for your Luke Fletchers and Chris Rushworths and does nothing to help either fast bowlers or batsman.

I think we have to accept this is the best it gets whilst the ECB managed four tournaments and test cricket.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2356 on: October 14, 2021, 09:36:50 AM »
I think it's always been the case though that there tend to be only 2 or 3 genuinely fast bowlers on the county scene. In older days it was a case that they played far more county cricket than anyone does now i.e. 2 x 3 day Championship games in a week and from the 70's a 40 over Sunday competition also. Bowling fast day in day out often for 7 days a week was a tough gig and injuries happened then also.
If everyone was fit we would have Wood, Archer and Stone all genuinely quick i.e. consistently above 90mph which is about the same number as there would be kicking about the county scene in most eras.
Somehow the English setup has never been ideal for producing quicks.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2357 on: October 14, 2021, 07:16:07 PM »
England lions squad announced - no Liam Livingstone

England Lions squad: Tom Abell (Somerset), Josh Bohannon (Lancashire), James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Brydon Carse (Durham), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Matthew Fisher (Yorkshire), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Alex Lees (Durham), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Liam Norwell (Warwickshire), Matt Parkinson (Lancashire), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Jamie Smith (Surrey), Rob Yates (Warwickshire

First call ups for Norwell, Yates, Bohannon and Alex Lees.

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2358 on: October 14, 2021, 07:29:38 PM »
Thinking more about Ashes selection and contest and it reminds me of the recent Ryder Cup their squad having so much in hand man for man
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

BlackCountryPride68

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2359 on: October 23, 2021, 04:07:56 PM »
Embarrassing effort by the West Indies. Lamentable.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2360 on: October 25, 2021, 12:34:42 PM »
Ben Stokes called into the Ashes squad :)

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2361 on: October 25, 2021, 12:50:23 PM »
Something the Aussies were expecting judging by a few articles I read over the weekend
Baggie for life not just for Xmas