Author Topic: Dingle watch - Anything Wolves  (Read 2080091 times)

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

Re: Dingle watch - Anything Wolves
« Reply #625 on: August 08, 2011, 04:08:56 PM »
I am not in denial, or trying to put any kind of spin on it. You were the better out of the two sides last year, no complaints or arguments, but to come out with things like superior is way OTT. I don’t believe there is a great deal between the sides placed 10-17th in general, last season and in many of the past seasons and at various times of the season all look at some point doomed.

So there was nothing between a team that barely scraped survival last season, and survived by the absolute skin of their teeth, and a team who finished comfortably in mid table having secured safety weeks before the end of the season? Ok then.

We'll see who looks "superior" in 9 months time ;)

As for potential, fan bases, money, you lot have been crowing about this rubbish for the last two decades, yet you're still no better off than little Sandwell Town. Even when the golden tit was bankrolling you and we were losing money hand over fist we still turned you over and eventually reached the Premiership before your expensive bottlers.

West Bromwich Albion, having the last laugh since 1879, much love :-* x
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #626 on: August 08, 2011, 04:11:38 PM »
My argument is of the 'superior' statements. As i have already said, last season you were better and more consistent. On the whole I don’t believe you have better players, i think as posted with the two sides into one it is fairly balanced. You certainly have a better manager, but in terms of potential I completely disagree. We have a bigger fan base and a chairman willing to spend money on and off the pitch, as already proved.

Would that be the Chairman who owns the company doing all the work off the pitch ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #627 on: August 08, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »
My argument is of the 'superior' statements. As i have already said, last season you were better and more consistent. On the whole I don’t believe you have better players, i think as posted with the two sides into one it is fairly balanced. You certainly have a better manager, but in terms of potential I completely disagree. We have a bigger fan base and a chairman willing to spend money on and off the pitch, as already proved.

A big fan base!? Oh do me a favour  ???

A richer chairman yes but its how you spend the money that counts
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

Steven Fletcher

« Reply #628 on: August 08, 2011, 04:25:14 PM »
Lol, and im being talked of being in denial  ::)

In whichever way you look at it we do have a bigger fan base. I’m not saying it is comparable of Manchester United and Stockport County as is such the deluded comparisons you lot like to make, but it is bigger. It also says something when we would better your gates when we were in the champ and you were in the prem.

dB

« Reply #629 on: August 08, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »
Any Albion fan who denies Wolves have the bigger fan base is a fool.

But any Wolves fan who says they would rather be in their position than ours at the present moment, is also a fool.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #630 on: August 08, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »
Certainly a far bigger catchment area.
Telford, Stafford, Cannock all feeders for Wolves.
Wolvo twice the population of West Brom and a lot of towns split down the middle.

Blues n Villa to the east.................

i feel a song coming on....

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here i am stuck in the middle with you....

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #631 on: August 08, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »
What were your gates again pre your old set up going bust in the eighties err 3000 i seem to remember.We have never ever stooped that low
We let you have Bull and they did improve a little.
You aint got more supporters just a bigger catchment area
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:52:57 PM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #632 on: August 08, 2011, 04:51:43 PM »
Lol, and im being talked of being in denial  ::)

In whichever way you look at it we do have a bigger fan base. I’m not saying it is comparable of Manchester United and Stockport County as is such the deluded comparisons you lot like to make, but it is bigger. It also says something when we would better your gates when we were in the champ and you were in the prem.
your ground is bigger than ours hence bigger crowds! Nothing to do with fan base to me there is nothing in it, prove otherwise!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:52:13 PM by OldburyWBA »
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Tipton Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #633 on: August 08, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
Is this the chairman that has spent on Roger Johnson and O'hara who had one good game in a blue moon against us, then the rest of the season played ****? Don't forget you've only got so many more years to go until you lift the Prem trophy (As a wiseman once said  ::)) wheres the dosh going? Our chairman has got brains.  your team is still no far better off than it was last season. You'll be down there with the likes of QPR and Swansea

You'll be down there again with the likes of QPR and Swansea...fan base we're as big as you, if not better.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:59:08 PM by Tipton Baggie »

baggie_1

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #634 on: August 08, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »
http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?s=1c55519ff35c3123f1edf074f3f1b553&t=62271     the inbred dingles make me laff, i realy like the over used comment 'panic buy' correct me if im wrong but im sure we have been after this guy for weeks!
AND ITS 5 FOR THE BAGGIES...BOING BOING TAKE THAT

Steven Fletcher

« Reply #635 on: August 08, 2011, 05:09:24 PM »
your ground is bigger than ours hence bigger crowds!

And that has what to do with it?! My house is bigger than the local pub down the road but it doesnt mean i get more people in it.

Is this the chairman that has spent on Roger Johnson and O'hara who had one good game in a blue moon against us, then the rest of the season played ****? Don't forget you've only got so many more years to go until you lift the Prem trophy (As a wiseman once said  ::)) wheres the dosh going? Our chairman has got brains.  your team is still no far better off than it was last season. You'll be down there with the likes of QPR and Swansea

You'll be down there again with the likes of QPR and Swansea...fan base we're as big as you, if not better.

Lol.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #636 on: August 08, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »
And that has what to do with it?! My house is bigger than the local pub down the road but it doesnt mean i get more people in it.

Lol.
How are we supposed to fit 30000 fans into 25000 seats then genius?? You do the maths as to how relevant it is.
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Steven Fletcher

« Reply #637 on: August 08, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »
How are we supposed to fit 30000 fans into 25000 seats then genius?? You do the maths as to how relevant it is.

Completely irrelevant. You have always fallen a few thousand short of your ground attendance anyway, that’s my point and there isn’t much in our capacities currently. I have never known you get much more than 24k in your ground on a consistent basis whereas we have even in the CCC and throughout the dreaded Glenda period.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:25:47 PM by Steven Fletcher »

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #638 on: August 08, 2011, 05:27:32 PM »
We have a bigger fan base and a chairman willing to spend money on and off the pitch, as already proved.

And it must be galling that despite this, over the past decade, you have consistantly finished below us where it counts. :P
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #639 on: August 08, 2011, 06:06:52 PM »
We have a bigger fan base and a chairman willing to spend money on and off the pitch, as already proved.

And this quote is why I think you Wolves fans are overly obsessed with us and have a massive hatred/jelousy of us.
Over the last 20 years you have had rich owners and have spent I would say double of what we have and you are still looking up at us, obviously supporting Albion I find this hillarious but that is why I understand the Wolves fans who are almost crying everytime we win at the Custard Bowl, whatever you do we always seem to have the last laugh  :P  :P  :P   :P  :P  :P

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #640 on: August 08, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »
this conversation about fanbase really doesnt matter at the end of the day, as it's only a fraction of what really matters; the results. however, wolves SHOULD in theory have a bigger fanbase as W'hampton is one of the biggest settlements in the county; only behind Coventry and Brum. And they do in fairness, but its no real surprise given their potential catchment area being a lot bigger, and their slight geographical isolation from the other big midlands clubs. To me though, i couldnt give a toss about who has bigger attendances etc, as it is all about the team and how they perform. I dont at the moment buy into wolves having a better squad, sorry, but going by last season i think our squad was better overall with more quality especially in the solid midfield that we fortunately possess. However, i think wolves have the potential to grow as a club and getting players like Johnson and O'hara on a permanent basis are a step in the right direction, and it makes for a stronger squad so it is very much in the balance. I just cant stand all this 'my club is bigger than yours' thing. If you think that way, why do so many people obsess on the rivalry? These banter sites are also pretty pathetic. It's all hatred on there and it goes round in circles every flippin' day.

merlin_mick

« Reply #641 on: August 09, 2011, 02:09:32 AM »
I'm a Wolves fan and I come here in peace with no intention of causing trouble.

Reading through the posts I have to say it is hilarious, the constant bickering... it's like your all back in school "My dad could beat your dad up!" Baggies fans, I understand you think your sqaud is better than our's and fair enough you would think that because:

1. You did finish higher than us last season
2. YOU SUPPORT ALBION! Of course you wouldn't say ours is better.

It can get really boring just constantly hearing "We finished higher than you, we're better than you... blah blah, that could go on for months (in fact it has in this thread) because you will always think that and we can't change that but please, at least take in the opinions from 'Steven Fletcher', everything he says you dismiss and I have to be honest it seems like your in dreamland.

You think you'll do even better next year while we struggle? Tell me, why will you do better than last season? You've improved your squad? (Apart from Foster... you haven't) Your defence was the 2nd worst in the league and you haven't addressed that area of the sqaud with any insipring signings.... You wouldn't rather have Johnson over that lad from Preston? C'mon, be realistic... I'm not moaning just saying "open your eyes". You'll suffer from 2nd season syndrome, teams know your style of play now, they know how to play against you and know your threats a lot easier (Odemwingge, Brunt etc).

Look at the teams that have struggled in their 2nd season in the last few years:

Birmingham
Hull
West Ham
Reading
Wigan
Wolves

Why will you be any different? I'm not saying you'll go down because not all of them teams have and yes... Stoke are an exception, they pushed on but I want to know what the difference is now going into this season?

Thomas vs Jarvis?... Jarvis.
Brunt vs Henry?... Brunt.
Odemwingge vs Fletcher?... It's close.

What I'm trying to say there is... it's close, the difference in quality isn't all that much IMO but as it has been on this thread, I'll wait to be shot down by your fans.

The fanbase? Ours is bigger, whichever way you look at it, it is... the excuse of the cachment is just amusing to read.
Finances? Us, a lot more stable, more money to spend (players, stadium etc)
Players? (as already discussed).... Fairly equal
Manager?... Yours.

Your fans seem to be obsessed with ours (don't deny that, this thread is perfect example) as we may be with you but I suppose that's rivalry for you!

Sssh for now though, you had a better season last year but where were you when we were there the year before? Exactly, this could be argued to and fro so give it a break.

We're not jealous of your club, why would we be? (Oh, because of last season?... of course aha) and your not jealous of ours... Settled!

So once again "ssssshhh" with the pathetic childish comments and lets do the talking once the season begins because that's all that's relevant.  :-*

Ta-ra for now.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #642 on: August 09, 2011, 02:35:14 AM »
I'm a Wolves fan and I come here in peace with no intention of causing trouble.

Reading through the posts I have to say it is hilarious, the constant bickering... it's like your all back in school "My dad could beat your dad up!" Baggies fans, I understand you think your sqaud is better than our's and fair enough you would think that because:

1. You did finish higher than us last season
2. YOU SUPPORT ALBION! Of course you wouldn't say ours is better.

It can get really boring just constantly hearing "We finished higher than you, we're better than you... blah blah, that could go on for months (in fact it has in this thread) because you will always think that and we can't change that but please, at least take in the opinions from 'Steven Fletcher', everything he says you dismiss and I have to be honest it seems like your in dreamland.

You think you'll do even better next year while we struggle? Tell me, why will you do better than last season? You've improved your squad? (Apart from Foster... you haven't) Your defence was the 2nd worst in the league and you haven't addressed that area of the sqaud with any insipring signings.... You wouldn't rather have Johnson over that lad from Preston? C'mon, be realistic... I'm not moaning just saying "open your eyes". You'll suffer from 2nd season syndrome, teams know your style of play now, they know how to play against you and know your threats a lot easier (Odemwingge, Brunt etc).

Look at the teams that have struggled in their 2nd season in the last few years:

Birmingham
Hull
West Ham
Reading
Wigan
Wolves

Why will you be any different? I'm not saying you'll go down because not all of them teams have and yes... Stoke are an exception, they pushed on but I want to know what the difference is now going into this season?

Thomas vs Jarvis?... Jarvis.
Brunt vs Henry?... Brunt.
Odemwingge vs Fletcher?... It's close.

What I'm trying to say there is... it's close, the difference in quality isn't all that much IMO but as it has been on this thread, I'll wait to be shot down by your fans.

The fanbase? Ours is bigger, whichever way you look at it, it is... the excuse of the cachment is just amusing to read.
Finances? Us, a lot more stable, more money to spend (players, stadium etc)
Players? (as already discussed).... Fairly equal
Manager?... Yours.

Your fans seem to be obsessed with ours (don't deny that, this thread is perfect example) as we may be with you but I suppose that's rivalry for you!

Sssh for now though, you had a better season last year but where were you when we were there the year before? Exactly, this could be argued to and fro so give it a break.

We're not jealous of your club, why would we be? (Oh, because of last season?... of course aha) and your not jealous of ours... Settled!

So once again "ssssshhh" with the pathetic childish comments and lets do the talking once the season begins because that's all that's relevant.  :-*

Ta-ra for now.

Aside from the irony of you posting a massive post on an Albion board after saying that, I don't get why so many wolves fans don't understand this is the only wolves topic on the forum. As a point of reference I notice there is a 76 posts long thread on Shane Long joining Albion alone...

And I'm sorry but Fletcher, who had a very patchy season, with a good goalscoring record is just not on Odemwingie's level last season. I don't even see how you can argue he was, just because he had a good end to the season. Odemwingie provided one of the highest amounts of assists in the league, and was brilliant virtually all season.

merlin_mick

« Reply #643 on: August 09, 2011, 03:11:01 AM »
dem

And I'm sorry but Fletcher, who had a very patchy season, with a good goalscoring record is just not on Odemwingie's level last season. I don't even see how you can argue he was, just because he had a good end to the season. Odemwingie provided one of the highest amounts of assists in the league, and was brilliant virtually all season.

Fletcher was injured for a lot of the season and only played 15 games in total, look at his goal scoring record towards the end of the season when he was finally playing more and it's a lot closer than you think. I'll admit Odemwingie did obviously have a better season but I think overall their on a par, disagree you will but when Fletcher's playing week in, week out like Odemwingie was then you might just be proven wrong.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #644 on: August 09, 2011, 09:21:55 AM »
Lets all just wait and see. We will be top dogs once again come season end in my humble
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #645 on: August 09, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
Fletcher is on a par with Odemwingie??!? And we're the ones living in dreamland. You might as well have not posted mate as you've completely discredited you're entire essay with that comment.

15 PL goals in his debut season, 2 Barclays PL player of the months and African PL footballer of the year. He's plied his trade at some of Europe's top clubs and has featured at World Cups for his country. Then there's Steven Fletcher who can can't even get in the Scotland team. Heck, he can barely get in your team when Kevin 'I'll run the channels all day but put me in front of goal and I'll have a nose bleed' Doyle is fit.

Fletchers simply not in Odemwingies league. What's even more galling for you lot is that you paid £7.5m for Fletcher whilst we picked up Odemwingie for £2m. Quite laughable really considering the difference in quality between the two.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

baggiejules

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #646 on: August 09, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »
Why compare Brunt and Henry when they play in completely different positions? Might as well compare Laurie Cunningham with Billy Wright.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #647 on: August 09, 2011, 11:23:40 AM »
merlin mate, those kinds of posts are going to annoy people more im afraid, purely as this is a WBA forum.  you say we will struggle in our second season, well i can tell you that not all teams do. stoke are a very good example of this, and saying we will struggle from 2nd season is frankly sweeping and just opinion. imho, i dont think this season is going to be easy at all, but 2nd season syndrome says relegation or circling the drain, but its your honest opinion(and probs a little hope aswell), and i think brunt and odemwingie out of your selections, jarvis has it fair enough. i also dont think the catchment argument is amusing, its just the truth wolvo is bigger than west brom! also, this talk of 2nd season syndrome makes me wonder, why should your 3rd be any easier?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:29:30 AM by crazedwbafan18 »

Steven Fletcher

« Reply #648 on: August 09, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »
I believe Odemwingie is better than Fletcher, and that is even baring in mind my bias and obvious liking for Steven. I was very impressed with Odemwingie last season. However, in Fletchers defence, Odemwingie started more or less every game last season, Fletcher only started 15, and I reckon at least 5 of them were out wide too - and 10 league goals from that, only 5 less than Odem really isn’t to be sniffed at. One good thing about Fletcher too is age, despite looking about 50 the he is only 24, whereas isn’t Odemwingie pushing 30? Fletcher has age on his side and I don’t remember hearing too much about Odemwingie when he was 22/23/24. He has scored at this level at a young age two years on the bounce so the potential is clearly there.

Nocky makes a good point about him not starting, and this is something I think Wolves need to get right next season. IMO Fletch is our best striker, he may not be as intelligent off the ball and as good a footballer as Doyle but goals win games and for that reason Fletcher simply has to play, id even go as far as saying in a strange way Doyle getting injured last season was a blessing.

And regarding the Scotland argument that is invalid. Fletch isn’t playing for them by his own accord, right or wrong. I am absolutely 100% certain if Fletcher made himself available for selection he would be their number one striker.

westparkwolf

« Reply #649 on: August 09, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
Fletcher is on a par with Odemwingie??!? And we're the ones living in dreamland. You might as well have not posted mate as you've completely discredited you're entire essay with that comment.

15 PL goals in his debut season, 2 Barclays PL player of the months and African PL footballer of the year. He's plied his trade at some of Europe's top clubs and has featured at World Cups for his country. Then there's Steven Fletcher who can can't even get in the Scotland team. Heck, he can barely get in your team when Kevin 'I'll run the channels all day but put me in front of goal and I'll have a nose bleed' Doyle is fit.

Fletchers simply not in Odemwingies league. What's even more galling for you lot is that you paid £7.5m for Fletcher whilst we picked up Odemwingie for £2m. Quite laughable really considering the difference in quality between the two.

I'd just like to correct you on a couple of points if I may. First of all, Fletcher was far, far more effective than Odemwingie last season. He had the third highest goals per minutes on the pitch ratio in the Premier League behind only Chicharito and Robin Van Persie, so you've embarrassed yourself there. Second, Fletcher was called up for Scotland, but declared himself unavailable for the squad.

Hope that's cleared things up
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:15:03 PM by westparkwolf »