Author Topic: Michael Johnson  (Read 1496 times)

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

Michael Johnson
« on: January 15, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »
Remember this kid? Was tipped for big things.

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2262486/Michael-Johnson-picture--Manchester-City-youngster-takeaway.html)

Just goes to show how quickly things can go wrong.

Talent is one thing but attitude is more important.
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

Re: Michael Johnson
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:01:19 PM »
He did suffer some serious injuries.

baggie-boy-ethan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »
I couldn't believe it when I saw he was on 40k a week! With the injuries he had, on that kind of money and barely playing for 3 years straight, I think I'd probably go off the rails too!

Big waste, he probably would have been a big player for City and England if he could have stayed fit

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »
I think its that too much too soon thing. Thats why to be fair to Brendan Rodgers he makes sure although the young players signing there will get very well paid still, a lot of the contract is incentive driven.

Johnson was supposedly on £40k a week without achieving anything and he gets that whether he played or not, despite the injuries you would hope the burning desire to play football everyday would push him on but obviously didnt happen and now he looks a mess.

Hopefully he may see that picture and decide to himself that he has to make the most of his ability and do something now, he is still young enough to do something, rather than look back and think what if in a few years time.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »
I always liked him, such a shame if his career is over.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 01:17:25 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263227/Michael-Johnson-reveals-quit-football-mental-health-reasons-club-admits-defeat-gambling-alcohol-addictions.html

A talented footballer who was once tipped to play for England has revealed how mental health problems triggered his fall from the peak of the sport.

Michael Johnson was snapped up by Manchester City when he was just 18 as experts compared him to some of the best players the club had ever produced.

However, despite making his debut in 2006 and appearances for the under-21 England team, it has emerged the midfielder's career has been cut short as he battles mental health problems.

Mr Johnson, 24, told the Manchester Evening News he has spent time in the Priory as part of his ongoing treatment.

He said: 'I am more disappointed than anyone but that's the way it goes.

'I have been attending the Priory Clinic for a number of years now with regard to my mental health and would be grateful if I could now be left alone to live the rest of my life.'