Author Topic: Less than 24 Hours...  (Read 2735 times)

WBAlbion123

• WBA Newbie

Less than 24 Hours...
« on: August 07, 2019, 05:27:52 PM »
Until the transfer deadline and I have to say I'm scratching my head at how we find ourselves in this position again, for what it’s worth I believe Bilic is a very good appointment and the signings we have made to date are fantastic value for money. My concern is that time and time again we find ourselves desperately trying to beat the clock to sign key figures for our season. Factor in that the loan window closes tomorrow and we have put ourselves in a very dangerous position.

It’s the sort of attitude that made me give up my season ticket this year after 18 years and irrespective of who may come in tomorrow I feel we will now have to play catch up throughout the season introducing any late comers into the team. Football is a competitive environment and even the small margins such as this can be the difference in achieving promotion. We’ve brought in a lot of money through transfer fees and offloaded quite a few of the high earners this summer and the lack of assertiveness to reinvest this money tells me all I need to know about the Chairman, CEO and Sporting Director’s ambition for the club.

We may still go on to achieve our aims this season but the reoccurring excuses about waiting for other ‘bigger’ teams to sign players and the difficulty of bringing players in has become like a broken record to me. The conduct and professionalism of this club are failing to meet the standards I believe we should be setting and we appear to risk losing out on targets due to stubborn budgets and unwillingness to be more liberal with transfer fees.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: Less than 24 Hours...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 05:41:18 PM »
I will reserve judgement until after the window closes. A lot can change in 24 hours in football.

I actually prefer the current method of keeping things under the wraps which is how we used to do it. Just because we're not in the media it doesn't mean we're not working for deals.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 06:02:16 PM »
Pity we can’t sell the owner on deadline day! What a boost that would be to be rid of him.

LAI OUT (ASAP)

rhobbie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 06:57:01 PM »
We do it every year , why I don’t know , does the club get players cheaper the longer they leave it I don’t think so , so why on earth we cannot identify players earlier decide how much we will pay for them and get the buisness done even before season begins . Only Albion leave it so late and usually end up with nothing .

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 07:04:57 PM »
We do it every year , why I don’t know , does the club get players cheaper the longer they leave it I don’t think so , so why on earth we cannot identify players earlier decide how much we will pay for them and get the buisness done even before season begins . Only Albion leave it so late and usually end up with nothing .

The fact that Sky rum a channel dedicated to this for the day suggests it’s not just Albion who do deals on the last day
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 07:15:13 PM »
The fact that Sky rum a channel dedicated to this for the day suggests it’s not just Albion who do deals on the last day

Skysports news is pretty much 90% football everyday of the year in fairness.

There are theory’s about time availible and the time jobs take, there’s also brinkmanship, gamesmanship, and a ton of other reasons that mean deals will always go to the last day. The problem is we have left far too much and that leaves too much risk.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:17:26 PM by johnny Cash »

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 07:24:06 PM »
It's symptomatic of any transfer window deadline. As frustrating as it is players do become available that weren't previously available thus creating what I believe a domino effect of deals that are on"hold" or in the "pipeline". This inevitabily can lead to smooth transactions but if one of the dominoes doesn't fall then the rest won't. It's a weird way of working, does spice things up but leaves the chance of a deal collapsing affecting clubs like us especially if you don't have that many eggs in baskets and are in desperate need of players/positions

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »
According to Slav he's working on six deals at the moment
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Paulsammax

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 07:41:05 PM »
It’s a food chain thing. Basically as one of the bigger clubs in the championship we are first call after the premiership. The big six get most of their deals done early on because they are the most attractive in terms of money and stature. Then the rest of the premiership get on with their business and it’s then that deals either fall through leaving the player to look elsewhere or a deal is done leaving a player surplus to requirements. I’m sure that behind he scenes every club is waiting for the dominos to fall on their particular deal. We aren’t a particularly vocal club when leaking speculation etc. The positive side of that is that we have pulled off some great deals that have come as a surprise. The downside is that no news in football terms is not often taken as good news.
Some players are waiting for the best club to come along and some clubs are holding out for the best deal (eg Newcastle with Gayle).
Personally I love transfer deadline day and the worst news I could ever hear is that my club stating that their business is finished.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 08:02:15 PM »
Stop panicking....it's dragging on because we are not panic buying. We're trying to punch above our weight with our striker target and will work our way down the list.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 08:11:39 PM »
I'm actually very relieved that we haven't lost any more quality players, at least not as we speak, especially Matt Phillips. That's as important as finding new players.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WBAlbion123

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 08:30:01 PM »
It's symptomatic of any transfer window deadline. As frustrating as it is players do become available that weren't previously available thus creating what I believe a domino effect of deals that are on"hold" or in the "pipeline". This inevitabily can lead to smooth transactions but if one of the dominoes doesn't fall then the rest won't. It's a weird way of working, does spice things up but leaves the chance of a deal collapsing affecting clubs like us especially if you don't have that many eggs in baskets and are in desperate need of players/positions

Appreciate that but to have started the season with only Robson-Kanu and Zohore as striking options just screams of poor organisation and financial rigidity. I don’t personally class Burke as a striker and Robson-Kanu is a converted striker who was originally a winger. Amateurish would sum it up for me.