Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718316 times)

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #575 on: March 16, 2019, 07:10:28 PM »
I'll be disappointed if it's not Jokanovic. Mainly because he's proven to be a top head coach in this league, but also to break up the monotony of British coaches who never think outside the box, only bring in players with experience of English football and pick players based on reasons other than their ability as a footballer.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #576 on: March 16, 2019, 07:18:42 PM »
I thoroughly expect over the next few days some of the players to start coming out and saying ‘jimmy is a great guy’ ‘we all love working for him’ ‘we would be happy if he was given the job’ basically their usual nonsense.

Shan does seem a very good coach, he has taken the players back to their default point pretty quick with how we play and how we setup but i would also imagine after witnessing their limitations under Moore when asked to do something different, he knows what they are really like and knows that if he tried anything different to the way we have played the last two games (a) the players will soon let him down and (b) the fans will demands better football.

I would hope on that basis he can see through the players and isnt as naive as moore and learns from that, and even if he is offered the job he turns it down because by the end of the year he will be out of a job at a club he has worked for for over 10 years, at least if somebody else comes in now and they dont want him his stock his high for other jobs rather than the sacking on his cv he will have in eight months time.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #577 on: March 16, 2019, 07:20:07 PM »
I don’t get sacking Darren just to get Jones out.

It’s not logical to me, as there are a number of other ways to have gotten rid of him and kept Darren in post.

For instance, if we are to believe press reports, it is a done deal that Jones will takeover at Luton in the summer and this was agreed before we sacked him. Now, as I understand it, he is under contract to us and would need the clubs permission to have spoken to Luton about their vacancy and for us to agree to release him from his contract to takeover in June.

Two issues, firstly, if he didn’t seek permission from us to speak to Luton and he went ahead anyway and agreed to take the job, then we could have terminated his contract, surely?

Secondly, we could have refused him permission to speak with Luton knowing that, probably, he would have taken humpage and, hopefully, walked out anyway.

Have I missed something? Why sack Darren to achieve a parting of the ways with Jones. I believe it was about Darren and not Jones, I don’t refute that Jones leaving may have been a bonus to some in the hierarchy of the club.

Please enlighten me on this Jones conspiracy theory

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #578 on: March 16, 2019, 07:20:47 PM »

Now on a run of 4 defeats on the bounce, which should become 5 Friday week. When the points deduction is announced he'll be lucky to get away without a relegation on his CV.

Not for me.

the points deduction is irrelevant to his management,
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #579 on: March 16, 2019, 07:24:15 PM »
I don’t get sacking Darren just to get Jones out.

It’s not logical to me, as there are a number of other ways to have gotten rid of him and kept Darren in post.

For instance, if we are to believe press reports, it is a done deal that Jones will takeover at Luton in the summer and this was agreed before we sacked him. Now, as I understand it, he is under contract to us and would need the clubs permission to have spoken to Luton about their vacancy and for us to agree to release him from his contract to takeover in June.

Two issues, firstly, if he didn’t seek permission from us to speak to Luton and he went ahead anyway and agreed to take the job, then we could have terminated his contract, surely?

Secondly, we could have refused him permission to speak with Luton knowing that, probably, he would have taken humpage and, hopefully, walked out anyway.

Have I missed something? Why sack Darren to achieve a parting of the ways with Jones. I believe it was about Darren and not Jones, I don’t refute that Jones leaving may have been a bonus to some in the hierarchy of the club.

Please enlighten me on this Jones conspiracy theory

Because Darren was the main man he carries the can. If you're a manager and you let your number two dictate to you you're pretty stupid to do so really, no offence to Darren. If you're going to do something you do it your way and you succeed or fail knowing at least you gave it your best shot.

In years to come when he looks back Darren Moore will have a huge regret over his tenure he'll realise he shouldn't have allowed Jones so much influence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #580 on: March 16, 2019, 07:27:38 PM »

Because Darren was the main man he carries the can. If you're a manager and you let your number two dictate to you you're pretty stupid to do so really, no offence to Darren. If you're going to do something you do it your way and you succeed or fail knowing at least you gave it your best shot.

In years to come when he looks back Darren Moore will have a huge regret over his tenure he'll realise he shouldn't have allowed Jones so much influence.

So it was about Darren and not Jones then?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #581 on: March 16, 2019, 07:31:18 PM »
So it was about Darren and not Jones then?

Both.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #582 on: March 16, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »

Both.

Not meaning to be pedantic, it wasn’t all about Jones as is being suggested then?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #583 on: March 16, 2019, 07:56:31 PM »
I'm beginning to think sacking DM was more to do with getting Jones out the door.

I've never thought any different. For me, from the outset, GJ was always the main man.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #584 on: March 16, 2019, 07:59:42 PM »
Not meaning to be pedantic, it wasn’t all about Jones as is being suggested then?

We can only speculate. I'm sure more info will emerge over time.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #585 on: March 16, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »
I do wonder if Darren waiting so long for Graham Jones to join and then the bloke looking to bail out at the first opportunity was one of the factors in Darrens dismissal.
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #586 on: March 16, 2019, 08:06:53 PM »

the points deduction is irrelevant to his management,

That was clearly just a bookend to the post. They've bottled it when it has come to the crunch, they were above Villa until 4 games ago. Vile have taken 12 points they've taken 0. As someone else suggested, he's Rowett with 3 times as many sideways passes.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #587 on: March 16, 2019, 08:09:03 PM »

That was clearly just a bookend to the post. They've bottled it when it has come to the crunch, they were above Villa until 4 games ago. Vile have taken 12 points they've taken 0. As someone else suggested, he's Rowett with 3 times as many sideways passes.

so you don't think blues have over achieved under his management ?
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #588 on: March 16, 2019, 08:11:31 PM »
so you don't think blues have over achieved under his management ?

No more than they did under Rowett no.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #589 on: March 16, 2019, 08:54:00 PM »
From what’s being said / rumoured I’m worried the board will go for a temporary fix. Shan has cemented the play off position (I personally still think top 2 is a possibility) and they will see if someone can get us up and evaluate at the end of the season, depending on what league we are in. I hope I’m wrong as we need a permanent appointment but this is what I think will happen.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #590 on: March 16, 2019, 09:39:49 PM »
A new manager in as a temporary appointment doesn't really make much sense. There's only so much you can do as a manager at this stage of a season. The reason people like Pulis make good mid-season managers is they just go back to the very basics, go big on organisation. And that's all Shan has done really, simplified things.

No manager is going to come in at this stage and markedly improve the football and get results. If they want to get us playing better football they'll run into familiar issues that a lot of these players just can't do that, and if they go for results its going to be largely similar to what Shan's doing.

Unless we can get Jokanovic in or a similar profile I don't think keeping Shan on till the summer is the worst idea. None of the other names seem particularly appealing.   

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #591 on: March 16, 2019, 11:58:27 PM »
Just need a manager who will let players actually play to their their stengths and not put square pegs into round holes ala Pulis, Pardew and even Moore.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #592 on: March 17, 2019, 08:17:12 AM »
There is a rumour I heard last home game and I have no idea how true, so you can decide...

It was going around that Darren was told that Jones would be sacked and Moore said if he goes then I have to go too.....

We will never know the truth.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #593 on: March 17, 2019, 08:57:52 AM »
Just need a manager who will let players actually play to their their stengths and not put square pegs into round holes ala Pulis, Pardew and even Moore.
Agree.  With Gibbs hopefully returning, our back 4 are experienced, or in the case of Holgate seem natural technically, so they don't need much coaching, the forwards all know where the net is (HRK doesn't hit it often to be fair  ;)), we just need to get a solid midfield setup, which is where I think Brunt comes in, my guess is he's taken a fair bit of responsibility since Moore went.  So for 8 games what has been our weakness (ageing squad) could be a positive, especially if Shan splices in Edwards/Harper properly for a bit of fizz.  If its Shan or someone else I hope they stick to a bit of a motivational stuff and try to keep our upswing going.  A quick look at the flex up in their pay packets should inspire even the most jaded of them anyway.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #594 on: March 17, 2019, 11:34:00 AM »
There is a rumour I heard last home game and I have no idea how true, so you can decide...

It was going around that Darren was told that Jones would be sacked and Moore said if he goes then I have to go too.....

We will never know the truth.
See if Moore ends up at Luton as a number 2

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #595 on: March 17, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »
The problem with waiting until the end of the season, is that failure to get promotion, and thus losing 10 or more players leaves us a very unattractive proposition. The rebuilding job either way will be daunting, but doing it without premier league cash leaves so much work to do.

I could be wrong, and maybe not taking into account other factors, but surely now, with us in the playoffs and a chance of getting promotion makes us a decent opportunity for a coach?

Jokanovic is probably the best of the named options, but I am a bit annoyed that Dowling has been in place since the late summer and he still doesn't seem to have planned ahead. If Jokanovic isn't really up for taking the job, we should have had other managers in our thinking. I'm just hoping the next appointment hints at the club looking further afield and not having the same limited  tunnel vision as some of our recent thinking.

I'd be looking at what Wolves did with Nuno, Norwich with Farke, Leeds have with Bielsa, Southampton with Hassunhuttl and Watford with Gracia.

They looked further afield and seem to be benefitting from it. Until more of our domestic managers start to prove they have developed their thinking, i'd be strongly considering the wider talent pool.
Boing Boing

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #596 on: March 17, 2019, 09:42:57 PM »
See if Moore ends up at Luton as a number 2
Moore will end up at Walsall, probably with brunt as no2
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #597 on: March 17, 2019, 10:09:51 PM »
I think its becoming obvious by the day the one they wanted  was wagner but because of the terms he left Huddersfield he's not allowed to take the job till the summer which leaves us in a bit of a mess to be honest.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #598 on: March 17, 2019, 11:00:30 PM »
 ;D Think we have no choice just let Shan run the team 9 games to go?? Too late to put a new man in would take him 3 or 4 games to stamp his influence on the squad he would get. Shan  knows the players and has a good idea on formations and tactics. Why change if he can run things temporarily.

We don't know what division we will be in so that would be a big impact on what manager we bring in.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #599 on: March 18, 2019, 06:43:42 AM »
;D Think we have no choice just let Shan run the team 9 games to go?? Too late to put a new man in would take him 3 or 4 games to stamp his influence on the squad he would get. Shan  knows the players and has a good idea on formations and tactics. Why change if he can run things temporarily.

We don't know what division we will be in so that would be a big impact on what manager we bring in.

I don't agree because that would put us in exactly the same position as last year. Shan has the rest of the season, does well and gets into the play offs - it makes no difference whether we go up or not when you think about it, but there will be a demand by many to give him the job because he did so well, ala Big Dave.

If he does get us up, he will 'deserve a chance', and if we don't go up, he will get the job because 'he did so well at the end of last season'.

Shan has done well over the past couple of games, but he needs to be the link between the team and the new manager and nothing else.
MAGA!