Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718007 times)

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2019, 05:04:28 PM »
100% bang on. We should be pi55ing this League. If it wasn't for horrible tactics and an obvious drop off in the standard of defensive coaching, we would be. Moore earned his shot, no doubt, but ultimately he was the wrong appointment and if it wasn't for his status with the club, all of the deluded people who think he was doing a good job would have been questioning his position a long time ago.
Decent starting XI  but I'd argue, when a few injuries, a poor squad as yesterday showed. The back four yesterday was not a top half Championship back-line

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2019, 06:11:00 PM »
It’s not the Albion way to pay compensation for a manager. So, imo, rule out anyone already in a job.

I also believe Jenkins trip to China last week was to discuss parting company with Darren and putting his replacement name forward, who I think is just waiting in the wings to be presented on Monday as the new head coach, I just hope it’s Jokanovic

This, this and this

baggie steve

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2019, 06:21:10 PM »
This next appointment needs to be the right one this time , someone to build on what Big Dave attempted to do. Which ever division were in it will need another overhaul of playing staff.
I hope it's not a run of the mill , Hughes Moyes etc.

Jokanovic could be the answer with his playing style
Pearson could add some discipline
An outside candidate could be Mark Robins , I think he will be managing at a much higher level than Coventry soon enough.

I don't have much faith Jenkins will get it right , but hope he proves me wrong

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2019, 06:42:10 PM »
A  number of click bait sites promoting Derek Mcinnes as our next Head Coach, a player whom I admired greatly when he was our captain. But, I hope we have learnt our lesson on such appointments after recent times, events and experiences.

Jokanovic for me
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2019, 06:47:44 PM »
Decent starting XI  but I'd argue, when a few injuries, a poor squad as yesterday showed. The back four yesterday was not a top half Championship back-line

It was a back 3......and that is where the problem was. Play a back 4 and we win the game. Ipswich are as bad as it gets.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2019, 06:54:24 PM »
Might be wrong but prehaps someone with strong discipline as DM was probably a bit too pally with the players. Jovanovic  or Wagner for me.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »
100% bang on. We should be pi55ing this League. If it wasn't for horrible tactics and an obvious drop off in the standard of defensive coaching, we would be. Moore earned his shot, no doubt, but ultimately he was the wrong appointment and if it wasn't for his status with the club, all of the deluded people who think he was doing a good job would have been questioning his position a long time ago.

This nonsense about the best squad in the league does my head in. We are a squad of bang average championship players in the main. Not one of our midfielders would get in ahead of - grealish McGinn and Hourahan or into the first 11 at Sheffield I Norwich or Leeds. Our back four - first choice - is decent and Gayle and Jarod potentially a good partnership. But that in no way adds up to a strong squad - 3 of the four new additions in January would not get in my pub team

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2019, 07:19:47 PM »
Jenkins and Lai know nothing about football so style of play won't come into it. It will be a Pardewesque "name". Just need to hope they fluke it and Lai is not a fan of "I'm a celebrity"
Disillusioned with all things Albion today. We have proved that it is all about chasing the Premier League money and that will reflect in the next appointment. Sincerely hope I'm wrong but expect a dinosaur.
Wagner already ruled himself out for those suggesting him. Unfortunately Allardyce, Moyes, Hughes or King Harry haven't.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2019, 07:20:32 PM »
It might be a good idea to get a temporary manager for the next 10 games. pay them a big bonus if we get promoted.

Then at the end of the season get the best manager in the championship,  Gary Monk.

With the financial restrictions at blues together with the possible points deduction and the terrible scenes at the local derby match today, he might be ready to move on.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
This nonsense about the best squad in the league does my head in. We are a squad of bang average championship players in the main. Not one of our midfielders would get in ahead of - grealish McGinn and Hourahan or into the first 11 at Sheffield I Norwich or Leeds. Our back four - first choice - is decent and Gayle and Jarod potentially a good partnership. But that in no way adds up to a strong squad - 3 of the four new additions in January would not get in my pub team

It shouldn't do your head in as it's true. We have mainly Premier League quality players, hence why they will go to Premier league clubs if we don't go up this season.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »

You must have the best pub team ever
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2019, 07:34:44 PM »
It shouldn't do your head in as it's true. We have mainly Premier League quality players, hence why they will go to Premier league clubs if we don't go up this season.

No it’s not true. Most of our premier league players are passed it or just not good enough as they proved last season. Our best players left last season, and I doubt there will be much interest in the current squad. So in essence, what I’m saying is that you are wrong.

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2019, 07:39:25 PM »
We've tried the tippy tappy - it didn't work.
We've tried playing out from the back - it hasn't worked.
We've tried playing 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-4, its arguable none of them have worked consistently.

Do you know what I think we need for the last 10 games ?  Get back to basics, tighten up at the back, start playing a no-nonsense 4-4-2 or preferably a 4-3-2-1.  These last 10 games are like a league within a league, so to speak.  We need someone who is cut out for this... someone who has been there and done it before in this scenario...   i totally understand that he wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea right now, but considering all of the above points I made, I would contend that Sir Gary Megson is an ideal guy to bring in on a short-term contract til the end of the season.  I honestly believe he would get us up.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2019, 07:39:39 PM »
To me it makes no difference who is manager , the players are just not good enough.

How a manager can turn the players performance against Ipswich into promotion hopefuls is something no manager can do.

The sacking of Darren Moore could also have a detrimental effect on the team. If the players think he was dealt with too harshly they could just go on to the pitch not put the effort in and just look to leave at the end of the season.

Promotion this season is still far away for us with these players.  The only good thing about getting a new manager in now is that he can see what players he wants to keep next season and then start rebuilding his team for next season when we could give this league a good go.

Yes that is the concern I have too, it's not just the questionable tactics of DM.

The club has held onto or signed players either no longer good enough or not fully committed. The hierarchy will live to regret its short-term mindset and I fear that we will not see a genuine rebuilding attempt due to this mindset and an owner clearly wanting his money back.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
No it’s not true. Most of our premier league players are passed it or just not good enough as they proved last season. Our best players left last season, and I doubt there will be much interest in the current squad. So in essence, what I’m saying is that you are wrong.

No, they didn’t prove last season that they weren’t Premier League players. All that was proven last year was the team/squad wasn’t good enough to stay up. It doesn’t mean that none of the players were individually good enough.

Gibbs, Hegazi, Dawson, Rodriguez and Phillips would all find a bottom 8 Premier League club tomorrow, even if just squad players. Not sure that Livermore would based on this season’s performances.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2019, 07:42:00 PM »

You can say I'm wrong all you like, that don't change the fact that a big portion of our current squad WILL end up at Premier League clubs if we don't go up, so in essence, what I am saying is that you are wrong. Scoring goals has not been an issue, poor defensive tactics is the reason we are not currently up there with the top 3. othing to do with the quality of the squad, more to do with a lack of quality management. Bielsa would have us clear at the top by someway.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2019, 07:55:56 PM »
You can say I'm wrong all you like, that don't change the fact that a big portion of our current squad WILL end up at Premier League clubs if we don't go up, so in essence, what I am saying is that you are wrong. Scoring goals has not been an issue, poor defensive tactics is the reason we are not currently up there with the top 3. othing to do with the quality of the squad, more to do with a lack of quality management. Bielsa would have us clear at the top by someway.
Putting it in capital letters doesn't make it a fact. It's your opinion but one that lacks any evidence to back it up. If we had so many players of Premiership quality, how come we didn't get any bids for them last summer, apart from Burnley bidding for Dawson and Rodriguez. And how come we had no bids at all in January? You are way over rating our squad.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2019, 08:02:29 PM »
Putting it in capital letters doesn't make it a fact. It's your opinion but one that lacks any evidence to back it up. If we had so many players of Premiership quality, how come we didn't get any bids for them last summer, apart from Burnley bidding for Dawson and Rodriguez. And how come we had no bids at all in January? You are way over rating our squad.

You are right, putting it in capital letters doesn't make it fact. The prior interest/bids from Premier League clubs and level of ability that each one of the players I'm referring to possesses DOES MAKE IT FACT  ;)

Oh and the fact that some of them actually ARE Premier league players already.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2019, 08:07:01 PM »
John Percy has just posted that we are in talks with Jokanovic, with Alex Neil and David Wagner also in the frame (although Wagner ruled himself for this season), and Carvalhal has also made it known that he’s interested

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2019, 08:11:28 PM »

Have you actually watched our PL quality players this year? Gibbs...feels like he fits unto the category but in hindsight his form is patchy often flatters to deceive and suspect in the air, Dawson....don't make me arff a good old fasioned lower league defender but not PL, Hegazi...like him but no turn of pace, Livermore.....looks lmited even at this level....reputation over ability, Jrod has often been good but sometimes utter S***e, a busted flush in the PL, Barry is 38 and runs backward through treacle, Phillips has the potential to be a top player but his injury record is turning him into a liability and is the ultimate confidence player.  Have I missed any of our elite squad?

Playing in the PL does not make you a PL player, getting PL wages does not make you a PL player.   Technical ability, pace, consistency and a strong will to win makes you a PL player....not in abundance amongst that lot.  On multiple occasions this season they have been out run and out played.  SOME OF BDs tactics may have been suspect but he was not managing a team of elite footballers.....far from.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:24:10 PM by Oldbury24 »

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2019, 08:28:55 PM »
Anyone who thinks a squad comprising of Bartley, mears, hoolahan, mozza and brunt and some kids, who all wish were good enough, but are nowhere near a good kid like HB, is the best squad in the this division is simply wrong.

It is not even the best championship squad in the Midlands as imo both vile and Stoke have better squads.

Our bench is laughable and no one can come on and change a game as Leko proved yesterday against the worst team in the league.

Jenkins, I suspect is on a bonus too to go up and fearing that has acted.

It's strange how the pr team of the detestable swain releases the £10m bonus for going up last week in preparation for the sacking this week.

It makes the club look good, as the message is sent we can't do more than we have and here £10m to prove it.

When in reality we are left to scour the free market for the aforementioned squad fillers.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2019, 08:38:43 PM »
Have you actually watched our PL quality players this year? Gibbs...feels like he fits unto the category but in hindsight his form is patchy often flatters to deceive and suspect in the air, Dawson....don't make me arff a good old fasioned lower league defender but not PL, Hegazi...like him but no turn of pace, Livermore.....looks lmited even at this level....reputation over ability, Jrod has often been good but sometimes utter S***e, a busted flush in the PL, Barry is 38 and runs backward through treacle, Phillips has the potential to be a top player but his injury record is turning him into a liability and is the ultimate confidence player.  Have I missed any of our elite squad?

Playing in the PL does not make you a PL player, getting PL wages does not make you a PL player.   Technical ability, pace, consistency and a strong will to win makes you a PL player....not in abundance amongst that lot.  On multiple occasions this season they have been out run and out played.  SOME OF BDs tactics may have been suspect but he was not managing a team of elite footballers.....far from.

Yes, I've watched every single game. Including all those games when we have smashed teams because of our superior player quality, rather than genius tactics.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2019, 08:39:49 PM »
John Percy has just posted that we are in talks with Jokanovic, with Alex Neil and David Wagner also in the frame (although Wagner ruled himself for this season), and Carvalhal has also made it known that he’s interested
Could certainly be a more worrying list, hope it's Jokanovic personally. Saying that I'm not sure that any of them class as a quick fix manager, except Carvalhal maybe, which may be a good thing.

Whatever happens re promotion we'll be entering a period where hopefully a lot of planning for different scenarios next season should be taking place. Knowing who your a manager is going to be going forward should be a very important part of that process.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2019, 08:41:48 PM »
If squad quality is purely about having Premier experience them Stoke have the best squad surely. Berahino, McLean and Fletcher have bags of it, perhaps we should have kept them.
Our squad is best in name alone. Moore made mistakes throughout the season but to absolve the players of any blame is more "clueless" than anything he did.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2019, 08:48:15 PM »
Anyone who thinks a squad comprising of Bartley, mears, hoolahan, mozza and brunt and some kids, who all wish were good enough, but are nowhere near a good kid like HB, is the best squad in the this division is simply wrong.

It is not even the best championship squad in the Midlands as imo both vile and Stoke have better squads.

Our bench is laughable and no one can come on and change a game as Leko proved yesterday against the worst team in the league.

Jenkins, I suspect is on a bonus too to go up and fearing that has acted.

It's strange how the pr team of the detestable swain releases the £10m bonus for going up last week in preparation for the sacking this week.

It makes the club look good, as the message is sent we can't do more than we have and here £10m to prove it.

When in reality we are left to scour the free market for the aforementioned squad fillers.

Such a poor argument. You picked our worst players who barely play and wouldn't make the bench with a fully fit squad to show why we haven't got the best squad in the league? Doubt Norwich and Leeds' 4th/5th choice players are markedly better than Brunt, Bartley, Mozza or Hoolahan.