Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 725233 times)

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2019, 12:07:00 PM »
Give Appleton 3 games and he’s the next victim???

No mate he’s not even good enough to manage a lower championship club never mind us. If I remember right he was in charge and we were 3-0 up against West Hamand drew.

Nothing to do with fans turning on any manager. Any with any sense will know that someone like Appleton is not good enough. End of.

What are you talking about? Where have I ever suggested that Appleton would be a good choice?

kanu

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2019, 12:08:47 PM »
Big Dave will always be a club legend and leaves with his head held high and reputation intact. Can’t argue with the timing though, we could well have slipped out the top 6 if he’d stayed and then the crowd could have turned on him. He’s not cut out for the no.1 job, I doubt he actually wanted it but took it because he was asked. It has to be Jokanovic, hopefully he’ll be announced later today or tomorrow.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »
Big Dave will always be a club legend and leaves with his head held high and reputation intact. Can’t argue with the timing though, we could well have slipped out the top 6 if he’d stayed and then the crowd could have turned on him. He’s not cut out for the no.1 job, I doubt he actually wanted it but took it because he was asked. It has to be Jokanovic, hopefully he’ll be announced later today or tomorrow.

Yep, that wouldn't have been nice.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2019, 12:19:55 PM »
With jokanovic, its worth the first few months of last season Fulham were awful, they remained patient and stuck with the coach and got promoted in the end.

As our boards actions and some of our fans expectations show, you dont get allowed a run of bad form at albion, you are deemed not good enough.

Those saying about steve clarke, his son said this morning a section of albion fans hounded him out despite the season before finishing 8th, he said so why on earth did we want him back?

He also said some albion fans had a sense of entitlement, that is sadly how we are perceived by others within football too judging by the reaction (not just fans) and its hard to argue when you sack a manager 4th in the league who until a couple of weeks ago was in the running for the top 2 and had been all season and hasnt been given a chance to turn round a bad run of form.

Some will argue that the poor run of form (not results) has extended for several months and what is the evidence that he could turn it around.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2019, 12:21:05 PM »
We have been top 3 or 4 all season, how can that be months of poor form?!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »
No to moyes, he bores me to death
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2019, 12:24:57 PM »
I feel ashamed of posts like this, but it's all about opinions
You say the squad isn't that great
Holgate/Gibbs best wing backs in the league for me
Gayle , if played correctly
Rodriguez subject of 20m bid
Etc etc....most other clubs would have swapped their squads for ours on day 1

I have no idea why people think they are experts at business and wish the chairmen to leave , why don't you make him an offer...?
When was this then? I must have missed it.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »

We've not won a home game in 2019 and we've got on of the biggest wage bills in the whole division. Performances have been shocking lately. I wasn't expecting or calling for DM to be sacked but I understand it. I think the main problem is we have players who the board consider to be premier league quality such as Livermore and Rodriquez who actually are very average and overpaid. Plenty of dead wood in our squad.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2019, 12:27:14 PM »

OK if you want to be pedantic on the use of vocabulary then poor performances then! 

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »
We also have the best away record in the country over the same period i believe?

Of course home form and performances has been poor but the away form has been the best in the country prior to the leeds game, You get the same points whether its home or away, the form and performances cant of been too bad as we are also the 2nd highest goalscorers in the league.

Think we were 2nd or 3rd going into february with the odd point seperating the teams, of course we have had a bad month but like say i assume any manager now will be judged on the same basis, you have a bad month, your sacked.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »
We also have the best away record in the country over the same period i believe?

Of course home form and performances has been poor but the away form has been the best in the country prior to the leeds game, You get the same points whether its home or away, the form and performances cant of been too bad as we are also the 2nd highest goalscorers in the league.

Think we were 2nd or 3rd going into february with the odd point seperating the teams, of course we have had a bad month but like say i assume any manager now will be judged on the same basis, you have a bad month, your sacked.

Unless you are Pulis in which case many on this forum will argue you need at least three transfer windows and a couple of summers before he can be judged.

For Moore many wrote him off within a couple of games. I truly hope he takes what he has learned and comes back really strongly.

We, on the other hand, have totally stuffed this up. I hope to be proved wrong but I now expect us to stumble along with short term appointment after short term appointment.

This will also damage the ability to bring our youth as the next manager won’t be given the time to blood the younger players.

Dark times ahead but I’m desperately hoping to be proved wrong.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2019, 01:09:30 PM »
I feel ashamed of posts like this, but it's all about opinions
You say the squad isn't that great
Holgate/Gibbs best wing backs in the league for me
Gayle , if played correctly
Rodriguez subject of 20m bid
Etc etc....most other clubs would have swapped their squads for ours on day 1

I have no idea why people think they are experts at business and wish the chairmen to leave , why don't you make him an offer...?

100% bang on. We should be pi55ing this League. If it wasn't for horrible tactics and an obvious drop off in the standard of defensive coaching, we would be. Moore earned his shot, no doubt, but ultimately he was the wrong appointment and if it wasn't for his status with the club, all of the deluded people who think he was doing a good job would have been questioning his position a long time ago.

theboywiththe arabstrap

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2019, 01:22:51 PM »
Please be careful with off the cuff remarks
Your Nan is now 4/1 2nd favourite to take over

:D :D

I reckon Vera might actually do a better job than a couple of recent ex managers here.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
I just have a feeling it will be Moyes.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »
The problem in all honesty is the friends and family side of our playing staff, all season we have lost the centre mid battles  and with the players we have the new manager cant put pace and skill or new engines in them so for me, if the board think they are going to get a bounce they are deluded.
Yesterday being out played by a relegation teams midfield was embarrssing but the players again had no heart and who ever is next needs to clear this club of a smell in the dressing room that has been here for years.

Young, positive and a no nonsense individual who is the boss and the players buy in or get out.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »
The problem in all honesty is the friends and family side of our playing staff, all season we have lost the centre mid battles  and with the players we have the new manager cant put pace and skill or new engines in them so for me, if the board think they are going to get a bounce they are deluded.
Yesterday being out played by a relegation teams midfield was embarrssing but the players again had no heart and who ever is next needs to clear this club of a smell in the dressing room that has been here for years.

Young, positive and a no nonsense individual who is the boss and the players buy in or get out.

We were outplayed by their midfield because they had four and at times five in there while we had two.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2019, 02:12:47 PM »
That's because they played as a team, were individuals at the moment who cant adapt or dig in for each other.
Lambert was orchestrating his players and even being bottom they had a go we watched each other flounder.   

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2019, 02:37:18 PM »
To me it makes no difference who is manager , the players are just not good enough.

How a manager can turn the players performance against Ipswich into promotion hopefuls is something no manager can do.

The sacking of Darren Moore could also have a detrimental effect on the team. If the players think he was dealt with too harshly they could just go on to the pitch not put the effort in and just look to leave at the end of the season.

Promotion this season is still far away for us with these players.  The only good thing about getting a new manager in now is that he can see what players he wants to keep next season and then start rebuilding his team for next season when we could give this league a good go.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »
To me it makes no difference who is manager , the players are just not good enough.

How a manager can turn the players performance against Ipswich into promotion hopefuls is something no manager can do.

The sacking of Darren Moore could also have a detrimental effect on the team. If the players think he was dealt with too harshly they could just go on to the pitch not put the effort in and just look to leave at the end of the season.

Promotion this season is still far away for us with these players.  The only good thing about getting a new manager in now is that he can see what players he wants to keep next season and then start rebuilding his team for next season when we could give this league a good go.

I'd argue the opposite that maybe he'd lost the players. There seemed a number of discontented players out there yesterday to me not to mention confused at what they were being asked to do. Jay Rodriguez I looked at at one point and he just looked well and truly inebriated off.

I wouldn't be surprised if there has been more going on behind the scenes than we realise, certainly since we came back from Dubai.

Last season we went to Spain, nicked a taxi and everything went even worse than it was before, this year we go away again and a few weeks later everything falls apart again.

Next season stay in bloody Sandwell.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2019, 02:53:37 PM »

Spot on. The Pulis legacy just goes on and on. Fed up to the back teeth of reading how we have the best squad....no we don't, they're all bang average at best. And our midfield is the slowest I've ever seen. We're only where we are in the league now because of Harvey Barnes.

Whoever the next manager is will be in for a very tough time if anyone seriously expects promotion with this squad. I think we need to be realistic and re-build from a new base,,,,it could take a few seasons though.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2019, 02:55:15 PM »

Nonsense. Our players are not good enough to outperform a diabolical Ipswich side? That result and performance yesterday would not have been acceptable for any other team in the league, regardless of their squad, Ipswich are marooned at the bottom and have all but given up.

Simple fact is, ignoring the poor results, performances have been poor all season and we were getting outplayed virtually every match. Moore showed no signs of being able to get any sort of consistency from the team, most of our results in 2019 have been fortunate ones. As long as we bring in a competent head coach I think they will find a new system that is much more suited to this group of players.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:57:09 PM by wba_1996 »

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2019, 04:17:37 PM »
I agree that we have been lucky this season. Played poorly in a lot of games and then we were rescued by individual genius and skill e.g. Barnes, Phillips, Gayle.

Name 5 games we have been on top for the majority of the game? Rotherham (a), villa(a) - anymore? Even QPR at home we were shocking first half.

We have been sussed in terms of tactics and didn't have a back up plan. We needed to buy a big striker in the window to hold the ball up and give us a plan B for us to get Gayle playing off a big man.

For me it is the ex Fulham manager Jokanovic (sp). Plays football, tactically did well, got teams up for the big games. Moyes, Sam or Harry would be a backward step and would rather we had kept big Dave in that case.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2019, 04:18:10 PM »
Just finished breakfast. Still raging. Specifically "long term project" is adding insult to injury since January 2014 we have had 5 permanent Head Coaches

Pepe Mel  17 games
Alan Irvine 22 games
Tony Pulis 121 games
Alan Pardew 21 games
Darren Moore 38 games

They last an average of roughly 40 games stripping out Pulis it is down to less than 30. The only thing that looks like a long term project was Pulis and frankly we are still recovering from it.

We keep firing Head Coaches and installing a new one often with a competely different style of play (or in Pardew's case no style of play) and after the initial bounce we regress and fire the coach. Brunt and Morrison will be on their 9th coach when we appoint the next poor sod. If either player extends their stay at the club they will probably get to double figures by the end of next season. The last one to resign was Hodgson. 

Moore was a long term project or at least should have been viewed as such. If you appoint a Head Coach who is inexperineced give him an almighty task to sort out and very little support (i.e. DOF not appointed until after the season started) then you have to take the rough with the smooth.

So who among the runners and riders is the next long term project?

Forget anyone who is in employment for this decision to have any logic someone has to appointed almost instantly.

SlaviÅ¡a Jokanović has had almost as many clubs as we have had managers. He took Watford up but failed to agree a contract extention joined Tel Aviv that summer and was Fulham's manager by Christmas. His reign at Fulham had a constant soundtrack of discontent with him being reported on the verge of quitting on numerous occasions. This is not a long term project it is a quick fix until the next crisis or a better offer comes along. 

David Wagner sorry scratch him just seen that he has ruled himself out (smart guy)

Michael Appleton Yes in theory but won't be seen as good enough by the fans who will be 3 games away from them turning and he then becomes the next victim.

Hughes/Redknapp/Allaydyce/Moyes Saints preserve us best leave that lot on the pundits couch even if they could be lured to a Championship club.

There is no logic to this decision if there is it is purely to get a result across the next 10/12 games the one thing it isn't is a long term project.

Oh for those moaning about us not buying out the contract of managers currently in employment really what is the point? We are going to fire them probably before their contract at their old club expired anyway.

There was an interesting theory, making the rounds in local media yesterday, before DM's dismissal was announced.

Allegedly, if we did get promoted this season, & came straight back down, we would get a parachute payment of £100 million.
Probably enough to pay for a rebuilding job?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »
There was an interesting theory, making the rounds in local media yesterday, before DM's dismissal was announced.

Allegedly, if we did get promoted this season, & came straight back down, we would get a parachute payment of £100 million.

Just out of interest what was our payment for finishing bottom and what was our parachute payment?.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2019, 04:47:40 PM »

The current payment across 3 years is £93m so that makes sense. From a purely financial perspective this works brilliantly. Clean out some of the worst excesses from last season's bloated wage bill get promoted (£100m income) with a much reduced wage bill even if relegated (50% flexdown clauses) we would be in a healthier financial position than today and maybe with a better and younger squad.

That is a brilliant plan but let's face it our club isn't thinking beyond the end of next week to credit them with a plan across 2 seasons is a bit of a stretch, desperate to get back on the gravey train and that is the extent of it. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.