Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 727521 times)

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #475 on: March 13, 2019, 11:06:47 PM »
If we haven't approached him yet and he is apparently on the wanted list, it suggests we are no further forward than still thinking about who we want. If so, this is crazy! There is a chance we could do well under Shan, but it is a major gamble putting him in for crucial matches. It looks like we wont be sorting it out until the international break.

I think I read we were speaking to his agent so technically I suppose you could argue we haven't formally approached him?

Someone said tonight we have been put off by him being paid by Fulham still and would owe them compensation and the same with Wagner. Someone didn't do their research...
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #476 on: March 13, 2019, 11:08:49 PM »

Amen to that Scoob.  ;D

There was a five live piece back a long time ago when Rafa Benitez was on silly money in The Championship. But how they said surely it makes more sense to pay big money to the person in the most pivotal role. Especially given the riches up for grabs with regards to promotion. Think he was about the 5th highest paid in England at the time.

Not saying do that with Jokanovic, but if he wants £40k a week give it too. Barry's on God knows what!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #477 on: March 13, 2019, 11:13:27 PM »
Mears, Hoolahan and Myhill between them will be almost on that, and look at their contribution...

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #478 on: March 13, 2019, 11:28:21 PM »
No formal talks with Jokanovic as of yet, believed he is waiting to hear if we are interested and he would be happy to listen

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/west-brom-manager-latest-slavisa-14130878

Get the bloke in.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #479 on: March 13, 2019, 11:29:26 PM »
We can't afford to pay anyone £40k in the Championship.

Jokanovic is not worth it. He is probably the best candidate but just because he was successful at Fulham does not mean to say he can replicate it with us. The coach is not the be all and end all. Paying him what he wants will cost us an additional player next year and bear in mind the squad will be trimmed back in any event.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #480 on: March 13, 2019, 11:36:12 PM »

Jokanovic is not worth it. He is probably the best candidate but just because he was successful at Fulham does not mean to say he can replicate it with us. The coach is not the be all and end all. Paying him what he wants will cost us an additional player next year and bear in mind the squad will be trimmed back in any event.

I'm sorry but that will be the case with whoever we appoint. 40k was a ball park figure to be honest. I'd genuinely happily put him on parity with our highest earning player though.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #481 on: March 13, 2019, 11:40:03 PM »

Can't agree Stan, I'm yet to hear one other name I'd be satisfied with while SJ is available.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #482 on: March 14, 2019, 12:49:35 AM »
Like ive said before our next manager will need to rebuild our squad & there in lies the hard choice
1/ A manager who with experience will demand the funds to rebuild it with quality signings or
2/ A manager to build a team on youth at a lower cost in transfer fee's & wages.
I think our owners want us back in the prem ASP but i cant see them funding that squad.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #483 on: March 14, 2019, 06:52:43 AM »
Like ive said before our next manager will need to rebuild our squad & there in lies the hard choice
1/ A manager who with experience will demand the funds to rebuild it with quality signings or
2/ A manager to build a team on youth at a lower cost in transfer fee's & wages.
I think our owners want us back in the prem ASP but i cant see them funding that squad.
Agreed but my fear is that they will be happy with a short term solution of just get promoted regardless of what happens next season. As long as we get the money and parachute payments following relegation then there's no need for a long term plan.

Uncle Peter

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #484 on: March 14, 2019, 07:01:01 AM »
I can see if Shan gets a few more good rsults people will be wanting him to get the job like they did with Moore.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #485 on: March 14, 2019, 07:30:57 AM »
I can see if Shan gets a few more good rsults people will be wanting him to get the job like they did with Moore.

Just said the same to my brother. Then 12 months times we would be in the same position.

Uncle Peter

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #486 on: March 14, 2019, 07:35:43 AM »
Just said the same to my brother. Then 12 months times we would be in the same position.

It's sad what happened to him, I said at the time he wasn't the right person for the job - picking up the pieces after Pardew/Pulis, giving the guys a bounce is going to be much easier as there's zero pressure. When it's your team/players (to a certain extent) it's not going to be anywhere near as easy.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #487 on: March 14, 2019, 11:02:41 AM »
Reading today's press releases and according to some we haven't even been in touch with Jokanovic
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #488 on: March 14, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »
Reading today's press releases and according to some we haven't even been in touch with Jokanovic

I don't think the press know anything to be honest.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #489 on: March 14, 2019, 12:05:41 PM »
I always used to see the search for a new Manager as exciting and somewhat the start of a new dawn.

Each search has been an anti-climax now for me since the appointment of Steve Clarke.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #490 on: March 14, 2019, 12:12:47 PM »
The thing is though that people don't get to make the decision do they?
We have to rely on a select and small group that many of us have very little confidence in to make the right decision and not be swayed by sentiment but who we all suspect will be swayed by the bottom line on a spread sheet!
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

robbo_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #491 on: March 14, 2019, 12:13:12 PM »
Karanka has been interviewed but don't know any more than that. Probably one of many.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #492 on: March 14, 2019, 12:50:54 PM »
Karakna would be a terrible appointment and would be a return to the Pulis day.

Those days that we tried to avoid under Moore. It would waste the last 8 months or so.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #493 on: March 14, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »
Got a feeling its going to be Alex Neil and I am not really sure how I will feel about that. Promoted with Norwich then relegated, sacked when Norwich mid table in the championship then flying with Preston now but were bottom earlier in the season.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #494 on: March 14, 2019, 01:34:18 PM »
Needs to be sorted by the end of the international break, no one from within either. if we are going to make the plays off and be successful we need a run of good performances and results to see us through the three games. the players need to get on board with new mans ideas
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #495 on: March 14, 2019, 01:36:55 PM »
I reckon Jokanovic will be announced over the weekend.

mr multivac

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #496 on: March 14, 2019, 02:43:34 PM »
A good coach is the be all and end all a good coach can turn an average team into a good team whilst a poor coach can wreck a good  team . No  bodie has a magic wand
But the players need to not only have respect for n
Manager but they need to see that he knows what he’s doing  and buy into it
U only have to look at Leeds norwich and she’d Utd to see that
On paper there teams are no where as good as ours bit
They play  to a system believe in it play for each other and there coaching
team , we need to bring in a manager capable of all that and more

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #497 on: March 14, 2019, 03:25:45 PM »
According to Matt Wilson no appointment will be made before the international break so Shan is in charge the weekend, it also appears there never was anybody lined up to take over from Moore so for the sacking to take place without someone lined up maybe there was more unrest behind the scenes than we know about as its an even bigger risk leaving Moores inexperienced first team coach in charge (nothing against Shan i hope he does well, seems a top bloke too)

The cynic in me thinks that we will beat Brentford saturday and an announcement will be made over the international break (possibly the day of one of the England game to bury the news) that Shan is going to be in charge for the rest of the season.

Again the cynic in me thinks that maybe this will suit the players and was part of the plan -

- if we go up their salaries go up 50% and there will be a clamour for Shan to get it permanent, meaning more of the same, a nice comfortable life for the players as they dont like too much change as we have seen.

- if we dont go up, Shan probably becomes the fall guy and some of them get moves anyway which will involve bigger wages and signing on fees, and the rest of the squad will know this is about their level now anyway and they get another year in the championship, win win either way for most of the squad.

Never thought i would be so cynical about the Albion but after this group have got three managers sacked in 18 months its caused that, once - these things happen, twice - its careless, three times - there is something not quite right!

I hope i am wrong about the above and we do appoint a new manager with Jokanovic seeming to be the best candidate, he doesnt stay at clubs very long and we dont keep managers very long - perfect match!

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #498 on: March 14, 2019, 03:33:27 PM »
According to Matt Wilson no appointment will be made before the international break so Shan is in charge the weekend, it also appears there never was anybody lined up to take over from Moore so for the sacking to take place without someone lined up maybe there was more unrest behind the scenes than we know about as its an even bigger risk leaving Moores inexperienced first team coach in charge (nothing against Shan i hope he does well, seems a top bloke too)

The cynic in me thinks that we will beat Brentford saturday and an announcement will be made over the international break (possibly the day of one of the England game to bury the news) that Shan is going to be in charge for the rest of the season.

Again the cynic in me thinks that maybe this will suit the players and was part of the plan -

- if we go up their salaries go up 50% and there will be a clamour for Shan to get it permanent, meaning more of the same, a nice comfortable life for the players as they dont like too much change as we have seen.

- if we dont go up, Shan probably becomes the fall guy and some of them get moves anyway which will involve bigger wages and signing on fees, and the rest of the squad will know this is about their level now anyway and they get another year in the championship, win win either way for most of the squad.

Never thought i would be so cynical about the Albion but after this group have got three managers sacked in 18 months its caused that, once - these things happen, twice - its careless, three times - there is something not quite right!

I hope i am wrong about the above and we do appoint a new manager with Jokanovic seeming to be the best candidate, he doesnt stay at clubs very long and we dont keep managers very long - perfect match!

An Albion fan and a cynic, don’t they now go hand in hand in light of the events of the past few years...
Most of the time our players aren’t happy. Tony made them run up hills and his training was too formulaic and repetitive. Alan (although it’s still baffles me we appointed him) tried to change things too quickly and people never bought into it. Darren tried to get us to play too much football...
I think our manegerial appointments leave a lot to be desired but if the squad is as good as people say then they should take some criticism as they are underperforming too.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #499 on: March 14, 2019, 03:45:09 PM »
Needs to be sorted by the end of the international break, no one from within either. if we are going to make the plays off and be successful we need a run of good performances and results to see us through the three games. the players need to get on board with new mans ideas

Ideally it should be sorted prior to the international break but probably won't. The newbie would then get the international break to work with any players who aren't away with their respective countries. I'd imagine Hegazi and Johansen will be away with Egypt and Norway. Meanwhile Sam Field's away with the England under 20's and Rekeem Harper's in the under 19's.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.