Author Topic: Serge Gnabry returns to Arsenal  (Read 123499 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Serge Gnabry returns to Arsenal
« Reply #350 on: October 01, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »
Young Serge has just put 4 past Spurs. Why was he rubbish at the Albion then?  ;D

Because his manager was Tony Pulis

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #351 on: October 01, 2019, 10:11:49 PM »

Dunno? Why was he rubbish at Arsenal?

It was a tongue in cheek comment Jacko. Salah and DeBruyne hardly set the world alight first time around, look at them now.

Gnabry has clearly developed, fair play to the lad.
MAGA!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #352 on: October 01, 2019, 10:16:40 PM »
Young Serge has just put 4 past Spurs. Why was he rubbish at the Albion then?  ;D
A very bad fit expecting Pulis to get anything out of him. Pulis teams only play one way
by-passing the midfield.  As I said, Messi would have looked ordinary in a Pulis team.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #353 on: October 02, 2019, 05:32:34 PM »

Dunno? Why was he rubbish at Arsenal?
Correct, I know people don’t like pullis but the world class wenger had him there and couldn’t get a tune out of him, people forget its about 4 years on.....I’d score in that Bayern team
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #354 on: October 02, 2019, 06:10:04 PM »
Pulis is surprised by how much he's improved and said he just couldn't get him fit.  Mentioned that he was subbed in an U21 game.  That also ties in when he got a run out and was blowing out of his backside after 5 mins and looked a stone or two overweight.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #355 on: October 02, 2019, 10:54:30 PM »
Pulis is surprised by how much he's improved and said he just couldn't get him fit. Mentioned that he was subbed in an U21 game.  That also ties in when he got a run out and was blowing out of his backside after 5 mins and looked a stone or two overweight.
Pulis is such a good judge of strikers, isn't he. Wasn't he the person we have to thank for having Burke and HRK on our books?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #356 on: October 03, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »
He also signed Rondon and Jrod.   Not sure of your point.  I was simply saying that Pulis' reason for him not playing for us was his struggle to get him fit.  He didnt look fit for us.  Wenger also had the same problem.  We also finished 14th and should have finished higher that season really so we didn't do too badly.

In general I don't get this gnashing of teeth every time we let a player go and they do actually go on to improve.  It happens, and also some players we let go at just the right time, and some we hold onto for too long.  pooh happens.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #357 on: October 03, 2019, 09:21:39 AM »
He also signed Rondon and Jrod.   Not sure of your point.  I was simply saying that Pulis' reason for him not playing for us was his struggle to get him fit.  He didnt look fit for us.  Wenger also had the same problem.  We also finished 14th and should have finished higher that season really so we didn't do too badly.

In general I don't get this gnashing of teeth every time we let a player go and they do actually go on to improve.  It happens, and also some players we let go at just the right time, and some we hold onto for too long.  rubbish happens.

and Ricky Lambert as well...…

Actually I happen to agree with you. Gnabry was clearly not fit when he joined us and Pulis did not give him much of a chance. Likewise Wenger which is why he was sold on. Like many others, I do not think that Serge was ever up for sale, and even if he was, we as a club had a different mind set at the time, so he was never a viable acquisition.

I mentioned it a couple of nights ago tongue in cheek. You are right, it is pointless musing over what might have been...….

I probably would not have mentioned it if Pulis had not been involved, but he is such a good judge of a player isn't he! :)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:31:08 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #358 on: October 03, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »
Pulis is such a good judge of strikers, isn't he. Wasn't he the person we have to thank for having Burke and HRK on our books?
I don’t think pulis’ commented on his ability he commented on his fitness, which was evident in his performance against port vale I think it was when he barely lasted an hour and was awful throughout the time he was on the pitch. It’s great for him that he’s developed so much but he was poor when he was with us and wasn’t good enough at the time, genuinely have no idea why so many pundits and fans find it so hard to believe a player wasn’t good enough to play regular premier league football at 19 but has developed into a good player 4 years later
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #359 on: October 03, 2019, 12:00:58 PM »
I can understand him not breaking through into the Arsenal first team at the time, as they were Champions League and could pick and choose from a very talented pool of forwards. With us his competition was much more limited,  the likes of MacManaman and Gardner. And when it came down to selection, Pulis preferred the Gardners and MacManaman's. To me at least, it was obvious that Gnabry was in a different class.

I can accept that some of the blame that he didn't establish himself may have been down to Gnabry, but only some. When you have a manager playing for 1-0's or even
0-0's, by-passing the midfield, expecting an attacking flair player with his talent to spend most of his time covering his own right back deep in his own half, I think I'd lose heart.
Obviously the manager sets the tactics, and so it was a mismatch. That's part of what you buy into when you appoint a manager. Pulis can only play one way. He picks players primarily for their defensive skills, even the forwards.     

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #360 on: October 03, 2019, 12:25:09 PM »
I have to say that I don't buy the "he was a stone over weight" argument,

If a player is taken on loan, part of the deal is to get him match fit surely, If not, ie the player is match fit that implies he has been playing matches, doesn't it?

In my mind you bring a loanee on board get him match fit and then you and the Owning club can establish the players capabilities under match conditions, or, you can take a player on loan who is falling down the pecking order due to age / injury factors.

If you are daft enough to put an unfit (over weight) player into a competitive professional match you will inevitably reap the rewards of your incompetence, or,
If you and your staff cannot get the overweight player fit with the tools available to a modern football club then again you are incompetent, either as a man manager or a fitness coach.

My onions anyway
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #361 on: October 03, 2019, 12:35:09 PM »
I know he got 4, but he probably wasn't working very 'ard

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #362 on: October 03, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
From signing...

To later on in the season...

I had to double check what I could because, to be honest, that second pic looks like a different player.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #363 on: October 03, 2019, 03:14:22 PM »
That's an incredible photo comparison. Perhaps some of the problems were of his own making and he given himself a good talking to once he left us.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #364 on: October 03, 2019, 03:20:24 PM »
I think that's probably the case and fair play to the lad, he's knuckled down and is getting the recognition his hard work has deserved.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #365 on: October 03, 2019, 10:50:57 PM »
Can only see one picture??

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #366 on: October 04, 2019, 07:31:09 AM »
I can imagine he lost the will to live working for Pulis.

Can you imagine going from the passing footballing philosophy under Wenger to Pulisball?  Must have demoralised the kid.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #367 on: October 04, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »
I can imagine he lost the will to live working for Pulis.

Can you imagine going from the passing footballing philosophy under Wenger to Pulisball?  Must have demoralised the kid.

Run up that hill. Run up it again. Now again.

I would suggest that if his fitness suffered while he was at ours, that it was something wrong at our end. If we can't motivate a player, then that's a failure of management.

I always said, I watched him in that cup game and knew Pulis would be having none of him - he kept drifting in off his line, picking up space, trying to make things happen when he got the ball, all things Pulis doesn't want from his wingers.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #368 on: October 04, 2019, 09:32:55 AM »
Absolute disgrace that a player is allowed to bloat like that during a very short period of time, dieticians / physios/ psychologists and manager should all carry as much responsibility as the player in that scenario.

Great comparison images BTW. I hadn't grasped how stark the change was.
Albion Family !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #369 on: October 04, 2019, 09:46:29 AM »
Like a couple of others I can only see one picture. However, I assume that the 'after' shot of Serge coincided with the opening of Greggs next to the ground...…..
MAGA!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #370 on: October 04, 2019, 10:45:54 AM »
Here's the direct links...

Before

After

What can you do if a player goes home and eats McDonalds at 2 in the morning or something?  The player's job is to not get fat and stay fit, he's literally paid to do that. 

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #371 on: October 04, 2019, 02:41:18 PM »

Before

After

What can you do if a player goes home and eats McDonalds at 2 in the morning or something?  The player's job is to not get fat and stay fit, he's literally paid to do that.

Your coaches put him on double training sessions and get the shrink working on his head, and the manager mentoring him. If that isn't the case what is the point employing all these people ?
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #372 on: October 04, 2019, 03:25:51 PM »

Before

After

Can still only get the first one 😲
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #373 on: October 04, 2019, 03:37:15 PM »
Your coaches put him on double training sessions and get the shrink working on his head, and the manager mentoring him. If that isn't the case what is the point employing all these people ?
I would say it's a fair bet that we did that though.  Like you said, why would you employ staff if they aren't doing their job?  A footballer is an expensive employee - I doubt we just leave them to their own devices.  Gnabry played in the U21's and had to be taken off he was so unfit.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #374 on: December 10, 2019, 10:26:21 AM »
Serge Gnabry: Premier League struggler to Germany and Bayern Munich star

An interesting read and some telling words here from Wenger

Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50556045
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.