Author Topic: Midfield pairings following Sawyers suspension  (Read 14140 times)

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

Re: Midfield pairings following Sawyers suspension
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2020, 10:42:56 PM »
Harper did okay for me. He didn’t pull up any trees or have a real influence on the game and had no where the same effect on the team sawyers does but as I say he did okay.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2020, 11:08:45 PM »
Harper did okay for me. He didn’t pull up any trees or have a real influence on the game and had no where the same effect on the team sawyers does but as I say he did okay.

Agree with this

I don’t think we missed Sawyers that much tonight. That’s not a reflection of his qualities but merely in recognition that Preston failed to land a punch on us.

Harper has lots of potential and we cannot afford to stall his development. Get him out on loan and enable him to learn and improve his game.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2020, 11:11:59 PM »
Agree with this

I don’t think we missed Sawyers that much tonight. That’s not a reflection of his qualities but merely in recognition that Preston failed to land a punch on us.

Harper has lots of potential and we cannot afford to stall his development. Get him out on loan and enable him to learn and improve his game.
We are defending from the front so well that the defensive players are getting a fairly easy ride at the moment, imo
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
Think a few people might be in for a rude awakening tonight. The way we are set up Sawyers will be missed massively whoever comes in. The key is to reduce how much of a negative impact it has. Brunt is the closest like for like replacement and should get the nod imo.

you are such a great judge  :D :D - i suppose if Brunt had started it would have been 8

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2020, 11:33:55 AM »
I thought Harper was exceptional under the circumstances. Nothing spectacular, apart from his shot at the end, but was calm, composed and did his bit to keep us ticking.
Could easily have been overwhelmed or caught out trying too hard but instead put in a very mature performance.
Massive plus for the night in my opinion.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »
you are such a great judge  - i suppose if Brunt had started it would have been 8

Harper didn't replace Sawyers as feared, Livermore did, and we lost something to our play because of it. However, Pereira and Krov in particular were superb last night so it didn't matter to the result or to an extent the performance.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2020, 12:37:16 PM »

Harper didn't replace Sawyers as feared, Livermore did, and we lost something to our play because of it. However, Pereira and Krov in particular were superb last night so it didn't matter to the result or to an extent the performance.

pray tell what we lost?, to quote your good self, baffling !
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2020, 12:52:19 PM »
pray tell what we lost?, to quote your good self, baffling !

Cohesion, someone to pick up the ball deep, Livermore's legs in more advanced areas. We played better on Saturday, the reshuffle wasn't for the better, that's not to say we didn't play well, honestly don't see what the issue is.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2020, 12:55:56 PM »
We lost nothing in my view. I rate Sawyers and am sure that he will come straight back into the team when available. However, I feel that credit is due to those who played last night.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2020, 12:58:24 PM »
We lost nothing in my view. I rate Sawyers and am sure that he will come straight back into the team when available. However, I feel that credit is due to those who played last night.

Saying we'd have been better off with Sawyers in situ and Livermore in his usual position doesn't take any credit away from Harper or Livermore?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2020, 01:19:39 PM »
Article from Harper - singing the praises of Jake Livermore

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/02/27/west-brom-midfielder-rekeem-harper-hails-jake-livermores-tactical-tweak/

With Romaine Sawyers suspended, head coach Slaven Bilic was set to deploy Harper in a deep-lying playmaker role against the Lilywhites.

But Livermore persuaded the boss to utilise the 19-year-old in a slightly more advanced position – with the skipper instead sitting in front of the back four.

Following the 2-0 victory at home to North End, Harper thanked his team-mate for showing faith in his ability and granting him the licence to play further forward.

“I spoke to the manager before the game and he was originally going to play me deeper,” he said.

“Jake Livermore being the captain that he is, said to me, he knows that is my better position – a free role. I’m thankful for Jake for allowing me to get that opportunity.”

The youngster praised the Albion captain’s influence on the dressing room and singled out Livermore as the driving force behind the Baggies success this season.

“It’s been massive, his work-rate. You see it first-hand, he drives the team forward,” said Harper. “And he chips in with a few goals. It’s rare to have a captain like that.

“Everyone loves him here and I am sure he is going to get the job done, come the end of the season.”

The Preston game marked Harper’s first league start of the campaign. He has found it tough being a bit-part player but he is now keen to make the most of his opportunity.

“It’s been hard because the latter part of last season I was playing quite a lot,” said Harper.

“This year it’s been different because the team has been doing well with the experienced players in there.

“I’m quite fortunate to be back in around the squad now, and all I can do is look forward. I am pretty confident I can stay in and around the team now and kick on.

“Slaven told me what he wants from me and honestly, I try and show him every day in training. Fortunately, I have been doing well in training recently.

“I’ve got my opportunity now. I’m not going to look back, just move forward now.”
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2020, 02:00:47 PM »
Love the kids attitude,
ie, head down and work, show the gaffer every day what he can do, you cannot fault that !
Albion Family !!!