Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 290543 times)

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

Karlan Grant
« on: August 26, 2020, 12:48:12 PM »
Madeley confirms we have agreed a £17m fee for Eze with QPR but it is all but certain he will go to Palace.

As I expected, Madeley saying we will probably go for Grant instead. Have felt since the start of the window that we will ultimately end up with Grant, although if we pay anything near the Eze fee then we are getting our pants pulled down. Eze will be a prem player for years where as Grant at the moment is firmly in the Decordova-Reid category (albeit is young enough to improve).

Grants a cracking player. Scored 19 goals in a awful Huddersfield side last season and when he joined them in the January they were in the premier league he scored 4 goals in 12 in the premier league. He is also in the final year of his contract if I've read correctly. I'd go in with 8 million but break it up into installments and add ons as we have with Eze.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:15:38 AM by Political Cake »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 12:57:54 PM »
Grants a cracking player. Scored 19 goals in a awful Huddersfield side last season and when he joined them in the January they were in the premier league he scored 4 goals in 12 in the premier league. He is also in the final year of his contract if I've read correctly. I'd go in with 8 million but break it up into installments and add ons as we have with Eze.

I'd be happy with Grant, no doubt about it, but needs to be the right price. Eze has shown himself to be a very dominant player at championship level with all of the attributes to step up in a big way. Watkins meanwhile was arguably the top striker in the division last season and follows on the success of Neal Maupay last season. Both players will fetch in the £15-£20m range.

In Grant's case, he has had a good season where you could argue he was the main focus of Huddersfield's attacks therefore got all of the attacks fed through him. His record is great and worth a look, but it is no different to Bobby Decordova-Reid 2 years back who earned a move to Cardiff in the prem and had no real impact. He has still proven to be a good player at Fulham last season, but as yet we can't tell if he is a prem level player.

With 1 yeat left on his deal (if that is the case), i'd think anything post £10m would be very hefty.

If we get him for less than £10m, it's sensible business and hats off to the club.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:43:08 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 01:09:51 PM »
He is also in the final year of his contract if I've read correctly. I'd go in with 8 million but break it up into installments and add ons as we have with Eze.

Just checked- he still has 3 years left on his current deal, so we won't be able to take advantage of that.

I'd still be very wary of paying £15m for him after 1 decent season for a side at the bottom of the championship.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:43:21 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Boing Boing

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 01:28:39 PM »
I'd be fairly underwhelmed with Grant. He seems like one of those big forwards, fairly strong, but one paced. Watkins is in my view far more mobile and has a change of pace. Eze, although more a winger, has more flair and unpredictability about him. You need to be very sharp to take chances against Premier league defences.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:43:33 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 01:41:35 PM »
I would be very happy if we could get these two and blow the budget. We would still be in need of CM CB and LB through loans. Possible. Robinson in Burke out and Kroc loan to buy. Zohore has to go as does Gibbs
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:43:48 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »
I like the look of Grant but if you watch his goals a lot of them are him cutting back onto his right foot, Premiership defenders aren’t going to allow too much of that. He reminds me of Che Adams but not as strong. It took Adams until the end of the season to get going.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 07:44:17 PM »
Thread created following the concrete links of Steve Madeley of the Athletic..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 07:58:17 PM »
I like the look of Grant but if you watch his goals a lot of them are him cutting back onto his right foot, Premiership defenders aren’t going to allow too much of that. He reminds me of Che Adams but not as strong. It took Adams until the end of the season to get going.

Agree 82, if I had to put my life on it, I’d say Grant is a top half championship player rather than a prem one. He reminds me of Che Adams and Bobby Decordova-Reid, 2 players who in the last 2 years have scored a lot of goals for a mid table championship side playing in a wide forward role, gone up to the prem and struggled to carry their goal scoring ability up a level.

He is 22 and if you get him at a knock down price sub £10m then it’s a free hit in many ways. There is far better value abroad, but if you have a dogmatic technical director who doesn’t believe in “sexy names” (because we know what that is code for), then Grant is probably as good as we can hope for.

I just really don’t want us to pay a bumper fee for him. We rarely get the championship striker signing right (Ellington, Earnshaw, Hulse all spring to mind).
Boing Boing

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 07:58:28 PM »
On the few occasions I’ve seen Grant, I’ve always thought he is a decent player with potential and worth a punt. So, hopefully, we can do a deal

What are thoughts on him and Zohore Being able to form a partnership and compliment each other? Just asking

Failing that, what about a swap, Grant for Zohore?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 08:03:45 PM »
I'm not sure what they value Grant at but it's got to be far higher than anyone would value Zohore at. Might get a few hundred quid part ex for him

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 09:45:57 PM »
A lot of Grant's goals are pens.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 11:03:44 PM »
I think Grant showed enough promise at Premier League level in an awful Huddersfield team to be reasonably optimistic. The stats would suggest he is quiet an efficient finisher his goals have come off a lot less shots than say Watkins. This is no great surprise as Brentford are a lot more dominant of a team than Huddersfield.

In many ways is a very similar player to Watkins I don't think you could be confident of one succeeding and the other failing at Premier League level.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 11:42:10 PM »
I think Grant showed enough promise at Premier League level in an awful Huddersfield team to be reasonably optimistic. The stats would suggest he is quiet an efficient finisher his goals have come off a lot less shots than say Watkins. This is no great surprise as Brentford are a lot more dominant of a team than Huddersfield.

In many ways is a very similar player to Watkins I don't think you could be confident of one succeeding and the other failing at Premier League level.
I don't see alot of similarities between Watkins and Grant. Grant is more physical but he's slower. Watkins has a change of pace and is quicker playing combinations. He seems better suited to playing with Pereira, Krovinovic. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 11:47:58 PM »
Depending on the price, he could be a good buy. I didn't realise he's only 22 - that's a lot of football and a decent goal return for his age.

You may say he scores pens, but equally the Cowley's are more negative than Pulis was. With that in mind he's not exactly had chances put on a plate for him and he still scored way more than our strikers who also got pens and lots of chances.

I think anything over £15 million would be too much but I'd be tempted at anything under.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 12:32:37 AM »

6 out of 20 last year.

He/him

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 02:12:45 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32x0usYyqf4

Seems like an old fashioned goal poacher
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:39:11 AM by Nice1Cyrille »

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 07:05:43 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32x0usYyqf4

Seems like an old fashioned goal poacher
Just what we need. Similar to Barnes.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 09:13:08 AM »
He looks a good finisher, which is what we need, good age, and if we go down we have a 20+goal a season striker at that level.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 09:23:42 AM »

goals are goals. It's good to have a penalty taker that you can rely on.  As Mark W has said only 6 of his 20 goals were pens.
 I remember a season in the Prem when we missed nearly every pen we had, give me a reliable penalty taker any day.

Looking at Grants goals he scored different types, some from outside/edge of the box, some headers, some close range taps ins...that's what we need.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2020, 09:58:11 AM »
I like the look of the lad, but the side of the goalkeeper he aims for, when taking penalties, looks to be predictable and Premier League goalkeepers will work that out, he needs to add more variety to his penalty taking imo.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »
He looks a good finisher, which is what we need, good age, and if we go down we have a 20+goal a season striker at that level.
We do have to think like this, we can't be loading up on "established" (meaning old) prem players again

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2020, 11:05:34 AM »
I've thought since promotion was secured that Grant would be the striker we brought in.

I still think he will be, Grant has "Albion" written all over him in terms of the deal it would take to get him, his age, potential sell on value etc.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2020, 12:32:30 PM »
We do have to think like this, we can't be loading up on "established" (meaning old) prem players again
This 100%. Realistically we have come up a season before we might have been ready. If we buy a few genuinely promising young players on sensible wages, it is just possible that everything clicks into place and we stay up, but if not, at least we will have a squad capable of immediately challenging for promotion again.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2020, 12:52:00 PM »
Just watched the goals and he looks to be a natural finisher to me. Go get him!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2020, 01:56:47 PM »
Grant does play a lot from the left hand side and I think I could argue that he is going to be more effective operating in a 4-3-3 as a wide striker. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.