Poll

Do you want Sam to stay as manager?

Yes
103 (63.2%)
No
60 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Sam Allardyce  (Read 599125 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Sam Allardyce
« Reply #1575 on: January 16, 2021, 03:29:53 PM »
We got the breaks today (at last).

I also think that having Phillips and Diaganna out and Grosicki in helped.

What breaks did we get? If anything the bounce of the ball went against us for both goals conceded.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1576 on: January 16, 2021, 03:30:49 PM »
He made it just within your 6 game period Jacko!  :D

A massive result in the nick of time. Thought we finally had some luck and the two centre halves were outstanding.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1577 on: January 16, 2021, 03:32:09 PM »
What breaks did we get? If anything the bounce of the ball went against us for both goals conceded.

Earlier in the season Var would have ruled out the first pen and we’d have lost a pen with Gibbs handball.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1578 on: January 16, 2021, 03:33:38 PM »
Earlier in the season Var would have ruled out the first pen and we’d have lost a pen with Gibbs handball.

What? Both stonewall penalties,  never going to be overturned. Gibbs hands not in an unnatural position and would have been pulled for a foul on the keeper anyway.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1579 on: January 16, 2021, 03:34:14 PM »

Wolves had 20 shots to our 11 and the corner count was 11-0 to them. We had two penalties awarded; the first was arguable if it was inside the box or not and the second could have gone either way - although as an Albion fan I will defend both decisions. We scrapped through; with real resilience and just about fell over the right side of the line.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1580 on: January 16, 2021, 03:35:08 PM »
What? Both stonewall penalties,  never going to be overturned. Gibbs hands not in an unnatural position and would have been pulled for a foul on the keeper anyway.

You are not getting my point. We had so much bad luck at the start of the season that var would have gone against us. Now it feels like our luck has changed.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1581 on: January 16, 2021, 03:35:55 PM »
You are not getting my point. We had so much bad luck at the start of the season that var would have gone against us. Now it feels like our luck has changed.

We certainly would not have got those decisions from Michael Oliver at Old Trafford.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1582 on: January 16, 2021, 03:38:27 PM »
Most of wolves shots first half especially were from long range.

They had a few decent chances, the Cutrone one at the end was big, but so did we, Robinson first and second half and Gibbs and Sawyers hitting wide in good positions.

Wolves had more possession but clear chances wise, there wasnt much in it.

Similar to second half v Liverpool, i enjoyed the way we played, defend well (except for the individual errors for the goals) and offer a real threat in numbers going forward.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1583 on: January 16, 2021, 03:39:01 PM »
Wolves had 20 shots to our 11 and the corner count was 11-0 to them. We had two penalties awarded; the first was arguable if it was inside the box or not and the second could have gone either way - although as an Albion fan I will defend both decisions. We scrapped through; with real resilience and just about fell over the right side of the line.

Haha, translated as: we defended well, mostly restricting them to long range potshots. Got the correct decisions we deserved.  :-\

Thoroughly deserved the 3 points.

Aside from the Gallagher penalty and the Pereira red card I dont think we've be that hard done to. The complaints about the Chelsea game particularly were a bit nebulous imo and designed to distract from throwing away a 3 goal lead.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1584 on: January 16, 2021, 03:41:43 PM »
Haha, translated as: we defended well, mostly restricting them to long range potshots. Got the correct decisions we deserved.  :-\

Thoroughly deserved the 3 points.

Aside from the Gallagher penalty and the Pereira red card I dont think we've be that hard done to. The complaints about the Chelsea game particularly were a bit nebulous imo and designed to distract from throwing away a 3 goal lead.

Think it was Palace when we should have had two pens.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1585 on: January 16, 2021, 03:48:17 PM »
Haha, translated as: we defended well, mostly restricting them to long range potshots. Got the correct decisions we deserved.

Crutone also missed an absolute sitter for them late on.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1586 on: January 16, 2021, 03:52:30 PM »
Crutone also missed an absolute sitter for them late on.

Robinson missed 2 very good chances for us 🤷🏻.

There was nothing fortunate about today.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1587 on: January 16, 2021, 04:00:22 PM »
Congrats to Allaradyce on today.  I'm just over the moon to beat them lot, when I expected an absolute drumming, not just a single goal defeat.

When the dust settles, we have still conceded too many shots on our own goal again.  I have been going on for weeks/months that the main problem is Livermore/Sawyers and the penny is now dropping with most of the fanbase.

We don't need a striker and any 2 centre backs from Ajayi/Bartley/O'Shea gives us enough.

I still stand by the point, SA should've signed a CM from League 1 for a nominal fee in the absence of Gallagher.  Sawyers shouldn't be playing.  Any further injury to Gallagher and we're in trouble.

By all means sign Choudhry (if at all it'll be on 31 Jan).  We were exposed for this game.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1588 on: January 16, 2021, 04:08:57 PM »
I think people know where I stood on Bilic, but on the flip side no matter how incredible  the result today, let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Allardyce needed this. It was better, but we still fumbled at the back way too much and conceded two sloppy goals. A little luck and a poor wolves side helped us.

Short term it’s fantastic and allardyce has helped give us a great day. Long term it’s a little ray of light.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1589 on: January 16, 2021, 04:13:04 PM »
When the dust settles, we have still conceded too many shots on our own goal again.  I have been going on for weeks/months that the main problem is Livermore/Sawyers and the penny is now dropping with most of the fanbase.

I think that is right. However the difficulty today was that Traore and Netto had the beating of O'Shea and Gibbs all day long. They were just too quick and skilful for them, so on numerous occasioned wolves got in behind of us and put in dangerous crosses. Hence we lost the corner count 11-0. We did our best to try to double up on their wide players but that did leave us a exposed in the middle. So your right that Livermore and Sawyers didn't at times screen the defence but they were also outnumbered at times as well. We definitely need to strengthen further, at full back, central midfield and we need a powerful goalscorer up top as well. Allardyce knows we need to strengthen, but our meagre budget is holding us back, as it did with Bilic.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1590 on: January 16, 2021, 04:39:04 PM »
Thought the way we approached the game was light years ahead of how we did against Villa and Leeds - way too defensive.  Liverpool I could understand, and Arsenal was just a mess.  Today though we didn't sit too deep (until the last 10 mins), and we could turn possession over and had players to attack with. 

Not too fussed about Wolves' stats for the game - they won about 4 corners in quick succession at once and with Traore he just runs into dead ends, smashes the ball against defenders legs for a corner or out of play. 

Surprised Sawyers stayed on the pitch - that was as bad a game as I've seen him have, defending was non existent.  Incidentally, according to the stats at the end, Livermore covered more ground then any of the players out there - probably the covering for Sawyers he has to do.

Sub were right, was concerned the HRK sub would backfire if Robinson's legs were gone but he did really well when moved around.  Still nothing from Hal apart from running into the corner once.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1591 on: January 16, 2021, 04:39:07 PM »
I think that is right. However the difficulty today was that Traore and Netto had the beating of O'Shea and Gibbs all day long. They were just too quick and skilful for them, so on numerous occasioned wolves got in behind of us and put in dangerous crosses. Hence we lost the corner count 11-0. We did our best to try to double up on their wide players but that did leave us a exposed in the middle. So your right that Livermore and Sawyers didn't at times screen the defence but they were also outnumbered at times as well. We definitely need to strengthen further, at full back, central midfield and we need a powerful goalscorer up top as well. Allardyce knows we need to strengthen, but our meagre budget is holding us back, as it did with Bilic.

Great post. 

When all is said and done Bilic led us to 7pts from 13 games, which should've been 12 or 13 with VAR factored in.

The budget is a joke, and the usual squabbling over wages means waiting for 31 Jan again.  It's almost like the board want us to go down.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1592 on: January 16, 2021, 04:49:24 PM »
This part is absolute nonsense.

We were definitely screwed over at Old Trafford Jacko. That was criminal.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1593 on: January 16, 2021, 04:49:31 PM »
This part is absolute nonsense.

No mate, you obviously didn't watch the following games under Bilic's reign:

Everton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Man Utd (A)
Crystal Palace (H)

No one is more happy than me about today, we were awarded 2 penalties, which was just incredible, never ever has that happened to WBA in the Premier League

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1594 on: January 16, 2021, 04:51:34 PM »
No mate, you obviously didn't watch the following games under Bilic's reign:

Everton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Man Utd (A)
Crystal Palace (H)

No one is more happy than me about today, we were awarded 2 penalties, which was just incredible, never ever has that happened to WBA in the Premier League

Everton and Chelsea?

The penalty at OT was a bad decision. As was the red card against Palace. Neither guarantee any more points.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 05:40:29 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1595 on: January 16, 2021, 04:53:19 PM »
The penalty at OT was a bad decision. As was the red card against Palace. Neither guarantee any more points.

There are never any guarantees. We didn't get a fair deal with referring decisions and VAR earlier in the season. How many more points, should we have? Entirely debatable. 3-6 I reckon.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1596 on: January 16, 2021, 04:57:14 PM »
My stance on Allardyce is well documented, as the saying goes
One swallow does not ........   It is a swallow of Linda Lovelace proportions though admittedly.

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1597 on: January 16, 2021, 04:57:23 PM »
There are never any guarantees. We didn't get a fair deal with referring decisions and VAR earlier in the season. How many more points, should we have? Entirely debatable. 3-6 I reckon.

1. At Old Trafford.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1598 on: January 16, 2021, 04:58:16 PM »
1. At Old Trafford.

You also have to wonder what a victory at Old Trafford would have done for confidence and our season. Just like we hope that today is a huge turning point.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1599 on: January 16, 2021, 05:05:17 PM »
You also have to wonder what a victory at Old Trafford would have done for confidence and our season. Just like we hope that today is a huge turning point.

1 point is a draw mate. Bilić was out of his depth, nothing to do with VAR.