Author Topic: Tokyo Olympics 2021  (Read 11174 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2021
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2021, 05:23:37 PM »
i was gobsmacked by the quoted £70 for a pitch, so checked

Outdoor Pitches‐Regular Users (Ex VAT) SANDWELL LEAGUES
Class A ‐ Pitches with changing facilities £72.10
Class A ‐ Junior ‐ Concessionary Charge £46.35
Class C ‐ Pitch no changing facility £46.35
Mini Soccer/7 a Side ‐ Children's football no changing £36.05

A disgrace that is,  £85 incl vat

I've had this conversation with the (ex) MP, and told them my theory that it is in part driven by Sandwell's wish to get rid of some of the pitches. They want to sell Lion Farm, Kenrick Park and they have already turned Londonderry into the Commonwealth Games swimming pool. If they can drive down demand then they can justify selling these venues easier.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2021, 11:09:19 AM »
Sensational game of Rugby 7's between Argentina and South Africa in the quarters. Argentina went down to 6 and then 5 men but still managed to win. They probably play Fiji in the seksia nd that will be some game.

We squeezed past the USA having been 21 0 down.

Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2021, 09:16:29 AM »
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Simone Biles situation?

Some saying she’s brave others she’s let her team down. I can see both sides to be honest.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2021, 10:16:39 AM »
She’s now withdrawn from further events which she’s within her rights to do and I don’t think she can be criticised for any of this. It allows another gymnast a chance to compete.

The only thing that can be questioned in my opinion is the mid event withdrawal which I think let’s her team down.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2021, 10:30:12 AM »
Good to see Fiji retain their Olympic rugby 7's title.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2021, 06:51:12 PM »
 :'(Britain's dominance in the four man rowing came to a dramatic end. Probably looking like they would not win but a silver seemed on the cards when they totally lost control, zig zagging and almost crashing into Italy, with some of their oars colliding which may have held Italy back from competing for silver themselves though they held on for Bronze.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2021, 07:50:54 PM »
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Simone Biles situation?

Some saying she’s brave others she’s let her team down. I can see both sides to be honest.
The Olympics is the pinnacle in sport it's going to be tough in every way just quitting because she had a bad routine is unbelievable it will take the shine off her achievements because real champions don't quit.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2021, 09:38:58 PM »
I wouldn't want to judge her really. I get the impression a few people have come into these games under immense pressure - pressure they aren't under for 3 of the 4 years leading up to the games. Biles was getting a hell of a lot of the spotlight leading into these games and bearing in mind what she went through as a teenager, I think its fair that her mental strength will at times falter.

Her colleague was able to take her place in the team event and they managed Silver. The good news is that she has shown even the best suffer and maybe we need to look at athletes with a bit more understanding.

On to today's action, I couldn't watch as much as the last week, but  3 Swimming golds this games was a good achievement, while a minimum of at least a bronze in the women's boxing is also good news (especially as she was unfancied). The sailers are starting to threaten the medals which is a positive given our rowing performances have taken a bit of a downward turn this year. Britannia can still rule the waves.

Well done to Fiji, was good seeing them sing their anthem with so much pride, but our lot missing out on the bronze was disappointing after their strong start to the tournament a few days ago.

Also a lot of credit to Dujardin who now has 6 Olympic medals and will likely add to that over the next 2 or 3 games.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 04:17:50 AM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2021, 11:20:59 PM »
Yes Biles was under a lot of pressure due to the level of expectation on her. Not everyone can be happy go lucky with it like Usain Bolt. Gymnastics requires a phenomenal level of precision which would be impossible to achieve unless you're close to spot on mentally.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2021, 11:29:07 PM »
The Olympics is the pinnacle in sport it's going to be tough in every way just quitting because she had a bad routine is unbelievable it will take the shine off her achievements because real champions don't quit.

Bad take this mate.

If she's not 100% at it, she could be in serious danger doing this sport.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2021, 10:31:55 AM »
Egypt captained by Hegazi through to quarter finals after beating Aussies 2-0.

Good luck Ahmed !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2021, 02:52:33 AM »
2 brits in 200m women's breast stroke final but neither got close to medal contention sadly
O Albion we love you

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2021, 03:04:41 AM »
Greenbank got bronze for us in 100m men's freestyle and Hopkins in the same for women narrowly missed a bronze
O Albion we love you

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2021, 03:26:10 AM »
My nephew is in the GB rowing team. I best show an interest.  ;D
And he’s going home with a bronze.  :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2021, 07:17:58 AM »

Well done to him! Was he in the 8s?
O Albion we love you

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2021, 10:24:26 AM »
I doubt it bothers many people, but I've become irritated by the relentless "GB" and "Team GB" references in the media. "Team GB" was just invented to copy the Americans, but imagine how tedious it would be if it was "Team Argentina", "Team Italy", "Team Australia" etc. Using "team" is superfluous and unnecessary.

As for "GB", would anyone keep referring to New Zealand as "NZ"? I suspect not. Can you imagine classic Olympics commentators such as David Coleman and Brendan Foster referring to British athletes as representing "GB"? No.

We should just refer to our sporting representatives as "British" or as being from "Great Britain". Obviously there will be Northern Ireland exceptions, but "Team GB" and "GB" don't cater for that anyway. "UK" is fine as it's been in use for many years, but "GB" is new and just seems lazy to me!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2021, 10:28:25 AM »
I doubt it bothers many people, but I've become irritated by the relentless "GB" and "Team GB" references in the media. "Team GB" was just invented to copy the Americans, but imagine how tedious it would be if it was "Team Argentina", "Team Italy", "Team Australia" etc. Using "team" is superfluous and unnecessary.

As for "GB", would anyone keep referring to New Zealand as "NZ"? I suspect not. Can you imagine classic Olympics commentators such as David Coleman and Brendan Foster referring to British athletes as representing "GB"? No.

We should just refer to our sporting representatives as "British" or as being from "Great Britain". Obviously there will be Northern Ireland exceptions, but "Team GB" and "GB" don't cater for that anyway. "UK" is fine as it's been in use for many years, but "GB" is new and just seems lazy to me!

I think it's to recognise the fact that it's multiple nations coming together as 1 team rather than being lazy and shortening 'Great Britain'.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2021, 01:28:32 PM »
Well done to him! Was he in the 8s?
Indeed he was. Josh Bugajski. I’m right proud. 😀
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2021, 01:38:34 PM »

Congratulations mate, fantastic that is!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2021, 01:40:56 PM »

Right to be proud, congrats to you and your nephew

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2021, 11:22:08 AM »
Bad take this mate.

If she's not 100% at it, she could be in serious danger doing this sport.

If she’s not confident about a particular routine then she should opt for an easier one. That, though, would probably mean that she wouldn’t win, what a shame. If you’re not prepared to accept that in sport that there is a chance that you might not win, then you shouldn’t be in it in the first place. Top sports people are in a very privileged place, yes, they have to work hard to get there but sometimes even the best get beaten. In my opinion, she let her country and team mates down.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »

Congrats to your family Costa, great news. Showed some character after the first round.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2021, 12:55:22 PM »
If she’s not confident about a particular routine then she should opt for an easier one. That, though, would probably mean that she wouldn’t win, what a shame. If you’re not prepared to accept that in sport that there is a chance that you might not win, then you shouldn’t be in it in the first place. Top sports people are in a very privileged place, yes, they have to work hard to get there but sometimes even the best get beaten. In my opinion, she let her country and team mates down.

She said herself that she had started to develop a fear of the moves she was doing. She had gone from ultra confident to basically having a gymnastics equivalent of the yips. She stepped aside to allow a more able gymnast to compete in her place.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 06:16:40 AM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2021, 12:55:57 PM »
Bad day for British Athletics, possibly our biggest hope Dina Asher-Smith has pulled out of the Olympics after a hamstring tear pre games.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2021, 01:34:19 AM »

Thoughts on Ben Stokes?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.