Author Topic: The Great 1978/79 Team  (Read 42579 times)

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: The Great 1978/79 Team
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 07:37:53 PM »
should have had ambition and payed a few quid to keep that side together and added to it and who knows what we could've achieved
Didnt you know we arent allowed to show ambition and spend a few quid because that leads to liqidation like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday etc etc ::)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:40:20 PM by Quakes Fan »
He's a lad from the Wrenna

baggyjon

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »
What a truly wonderful side they were, could and should have gone on to win the championship and maybe more. Cunningham was my favourite, I have never seen a better player close up, he was simply breathtaking. I was at White heart lane when he and Tony Godden made their debut's. I was also at Highbury one Christmas and saw Albion win 2-1. Sat amongst the Arsenal fans and after the match they were complementing us about how good Albion were. Also saw Brendan Batson make his debut at Birmingham, couldn't believe we had signed him as he was so poor, oh how I was proved to be so so wrong.
The truth is that we were so close and yet so far, maybe if they had paid Laurie what he was worth (Cyrille stated he would have stayed) then who knows. Also If we had signed Trevor Francis (Blues refused to sell to Albion) instead of David Mills then what would have happened. Imagine a forward line of Regis, Francis and Cunningham. Poor old Ally Brown would have had to warm the bench. Sadly we will never know what might have been but one thing is for sure is that the Ron Atkinson era was like being in a dream .... and I never wanted to wake up.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 11:52:59 AM »
wish i was alive to see this side and some of the proud moments they gave this club!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
I could bore all day on that Three Degrees side. Suffice to say they were a wonderful team and on the edge of becoming a real force in European football.

But as my motto says: "Remember the past...learn from it", and that's the lesson here. It's exactly what we need to do now in terms of taking the 2012/13 Baggies forward.

We had a very good team in '79 but for one reason and another we failed to capitalise on it because of lack of investment, some would say lack of ambition.

We're not quite at the same crossroads now, but even in the context of a modern day Premiership we are capable of consolidation and improvement if we take board where we have gone wrong in the past.

The first job is to sign Ben Foster. That the modern day equivalent of losing Cunningham and signing David Mills.
Remember the past - learn from it

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
Thats the first time i have seen one of those plates.Great keepsake.The price will soar over the years as they become rarer.

I went to the centenary game over Dartmouth Park between Albion and the local media,anyone else go to that?

The Albion played in quartered shirts and some sported false droopy moustaches in keeping with the styles of 1879.
Dartmouth Park was the closest venue to our original ground at Coopers Hill.

I can't remember who played now but i recall John Osborne played at right half and Ronnie Allen led the attack.

We won 14-5 or something daft like that.

throstle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
The truth is that we were so close and yet so far, maybe if they had paid Laurie what he was worth (Cyrille stated he would have stayed) then who knows.

Cyrille often says we should have hung on to Cantello and Cunningham, but my recollection of the time is that Len had made his mind up to leave after his testimonial come what may and Laurie's departure was nothing to do with a dispute with Albion over money or anything, it was because Real Madrid came knocking and you don't turn down an opportunity like that.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2012, 11:01:30 PM »
Cyrille often says we should have hung on to Cantello and Cunningham, but my recollection of the time is that Len had made his mind up to leave after his testimonial come what may and Laurie's departure was nothing to do with a dispute with Albion over money or anything, it was because Real Madrid came knocking and you don't turn down an opportunity like that.

Laurie knocked on Real Madrid's door, not vice versa. And I'm fairly sure Cyrille has said that Laurie just wanted more money.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 07:28:47 AM »
What a fantastic side that was though. And in keeping with another thread there'd were several home produced lads in there...Derek, Bryan Robson, Tony Brown, Ali Rob were all first team regulars and John Trewick was also in the mix too.

Rightly though, Cyrille and Laurie got much of the attention. My God they were special players.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 07:31:58 AM »
What am I thinking of? Of course Len was home grown too. It's amazing looking back. An absolutely fantastic team and five of the first choice eleven came through our own youth system.

It makes our subsequent fall from grace all the more ridiculous to look back on.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 07:47:11 AM »
should have had ambition and payed a few quid to keep that side together and added to it and who knows what we could've achieved

Apparently Atkinson went to the board to buy one missing piece from the jigsaw and they refused point blank.
The missing piece that Atko wanted was Trevor Francis, and the board said no!
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggyjon

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2012, 09:40:43 AM »
My understanding is slightly different of the Trevor Francis scenario. We made an offer for him but Blues would NOT sell their prized asset to Albion. Wonderful memories all the same an when you look at that plate there are some wonderful players who we have not mentioned, Paddy Mulligan for one .. no pace but what a defender. Wish i had bought one of the commemorative plates, great time to be a Baggie

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »
Anyone not old enough to have seen that team, just watch the DVD of the Old Trafford 5-3 win. Laurie Cunningham was superb he just danced his way past defenders. The other 10 players wasn't bad either!!

Just glad I was lucky enough to have seen such a excellent team.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2012, 10:47:04 AM »
Laurie knocked on Real Madrid's door, not vice versa. And I'm fairly sure Cyrille has said that Laurie just wanted more money.

He did,but Cyrille said it wasn't that much he was asking for and he wanted to stay at Albion.

But Ron Atkinsons version was, Laurie told him how much he wanted(managers dealt with money and transfers back then),and Atkinson said,"you won't get that",to which Laurie replied,"i'm off then."

Laurie was another player whose career went downhill after he left us,but it ended tragically for him.  :(

Turkish baggie

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2012, 05:39:26 AM »
In my time there is no doubt that from 1976 until 1979 we played some of the best football ever seen in what was then Div 1!

The 'team' with the emphasis on the word team was made up of players who complemented each other so well, they seemed to not only have fantastic skill in certain positions but also a 2nd sense where their team mates would be on the pitch. Every player was 'hard as nails'.

Johnny Giles is reputed to have said to John Wile and Ally Robertson 'you ain't the best footballers at the club but you really are great defenders, so when you get the ball give it to me and let the skillful players get on with it!'

That mentality continued after Johnny left and without that superb centre back partnership maybe the rest wouldn't have happened?

Greatest collection of Albion players since I started watching them in 1965? Who knows but to pick anyone else from earlier or later years to get into that team would be hard?

Rich99

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2012, 07:29:23 AM »

Indeed, we had it on a plate.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
If we had had a Peter Shilton or Ray Clemence in goal instead of Dracula.  ;)

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2012, 01:41:54 PM »
He did,but Cyrille said it wasn't that much he was asking for and he wanted to stay at Albion.

But Ron Atkinsons version was, Laurie told him how much he wanted(managers dealt with money and transfers back then),and Atkinson said,"you won't get that",to which Laurie replied,"i'm off then."

Laurie was another player whose career went downhill after he left us,but it ended tragically for him.  :(

There is a film about Laurie called Black Flash which hopefully will come out soon, not sure if this transfer negotiations will be covered but it would be interesting if it was. (James Corden is big Ron in it)
Gera, Gera, Gera

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »
I keep forgetting to ask this: Who was Godden's backup, if any, in 1978/79? I know Godden played every game, but if he had gotten injured, who would have stepped in?

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2012, 10:04:52 AM »
I keep forgetting to ask this: Who was Godden's backup, if any, in 1978/79? I know Godden played every game, but if he had gotten injured, who would have stepped in?
I think it was a goalkeeper called Stewart cant remember his first name. I could be wrong but that name rings a bell
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2012, 10:32:18 AM »
I remember the name "Grew" as a goalie about then, on the bench usually when there were 3 subs, but I can't say I remember seeing him play

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »
I remember the name "Grew" as a goalie about then, on the bench usually when there were 3 subs, but I can't say I remember seeing him play

Mark Grew.  Remember him playing for Port Vale around the time of Gould/Ossie.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:20:05 AM by kris_boing »

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »
I was wrong >:( It must have been the beer I had last night :-\ Mark Grew joined from school in 1975 made 47 Apps inc 1 sub and left for Leicester City in 1983.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »
I was wrong >:( It must have been the beer I had last night :-\ Mark Grew joined from school in 1975 made 47 Apps inc 1 sub and left for Leicester City in 1983.
No you are right mate, we did have a back-up goalie with the surname Stewart but like you I cant recall his forename  ???
He's a lad from the Wrenna

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »
No you are right mate, we did have a back-up goalie with the surname Stewart but like you I cant recall his forename  ???
Well thank you Greenock I haven't gone mad yet then ;D

The Gaffer

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2012, 11:54:26 AM »
David Stewart. He was then replaced by 5'10 inch Mark Grew (and they called Godden small at 6'1").