Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1129345 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #1375 on: December 16, 2016, 09:10:49 PM »
I remember just a few weeks back the Leicester fans being in awe of how Rondon had single handedly bullied their centre backs. Not often he gets bullied. As others have said, he is, or has been until recently, often up against 3 players. Fantastic player for us, we should all appreciate him while we can.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1376 on: December 17, 2016, 04:10:08 PM »
Either needs some protection from the ref against the 'clever' but dangerous challenges, or needs to learn how to fall over strategically more often so they get a bit wary about making the challenge. Rondon is not getting an easy ride so far but is doing a great job. Think of all the free Kicks he would have 'won' in and around the edge of the box if he played for somebody like the Snottenham diving academy.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1377 on: December 19, 2016, 05:05:25 PM »
Think he fell over plenty of times against United and got nothing in return from the ref. Some looked like fouls, some looked 50/50 to me.

How about use his size and physical advantage against the likes of rojo and Jones who are half the size of him? A couple of games I've seen him struggle against what look like physically smaller defenders. Yes he managed to out play the Swansea defence, but why not repeat that again in the next game?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1378 on: December 20, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »
Think he fell over plenty of times against United and got nothing in return from the ref. Some looked like fouls, some looked 50/50 to me.

How about use his size and physical advantage against the likes of rojo and Jones who are half the size of him? A couple of games I've seen him struggle against what look like physically smaller defenders. Yes he managed to out play the Swansea defence, but why not repeat that again in the next game?
So, to summarise, when he got fouled, he got nothing from the ref, and when it was 50-50 he got nothing from the ref. Hardly his fault is it?

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1379 on: December 20, 2016, 12:38:48 PM »
So, to summarise, when he got fouled, he got nothing from the ref, and when it was 50-50 he got nothing from the ref. Hardly his fault is it?

50/50 is hardly not getting protection from the ref either. Think he needs to use his strength more to keep the ball rather than learning how to fall over better, as some have suggested on here.

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1380 on: December 20, 2016, 12:41:45 PM »

Maybe because Man United have significantly better defenders than Swansea do?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1381 on: December 20, 2016, 12:42:22 PM »

Do you reckon ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1382 on: December 20, 2016, 12:46:09 PM »

His game is about strength and his strength shouldn't change drastically game by game. He didn't seem to win anything against man United but did against Swansea a few days earlier. Surely rojo and Jones aren't stronger than him or better in the air

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1383 on: December 20, 2016, 01:14:42 PM »
The difference being that the Swansea centre backs gave him the freedom of the Hawthorns during the second half.

With the exception of his free header Jones and Rojo were much tighter on him, and he did not enjoy the same level of support against Man Utd as in the previous game.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1384 on: December 20, 2016, 01:17:39 PM »
The difference being that the Swansea centre backs gave him the freedom of the Hawthorns during the second half.

With the exception of his free header Jones and Rojo were much tighter on him, and he did not enjoy the same level of support against Man Utd as in the previous game.

Again though, surely he should be physically stronger than rojo and Jones regardless of how tight they were?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1385 on: December 20, 2016, 01:21:13 PM »
Again though, surely he should be physically stronger than rojo and Jones regardless of how tight they were?

He didn't lose the physical battle. He got fouled... a LOT.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1386 on: December 20, 2016, 01:28:09 PM »
but as you said earlier they are smaller defenders, Wouldn't they have learned how to defend against larger opponents and so use his power against him. Might doesn't always equal right. It's  why I think Rondon has done so well against Huth in the games against Leicester as Huth has relied on himself being stronger than the guy he's defending against. Suddenly this guy turns up who's stronger and he downs know what to do.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1387 on: December 20, 2016, 01:35:17 PM »
but as you said earlier they are smaller defenders, Wouldn't they have learned how to defend against larger opponents and so use his power against him. Might doesn't always equal right. It's  why I think Rondon has done so well against Huth in the games against Leicester as Huth has relied on himself being stronger than the guy he's defending against. Suddenly this guy turns up who's stronger and he downs know what to do.

But as a larger forward, shouldn't he have learnt how to deal with smaller defenders. I mean it's 90% of his game. As you say he was stronger than Huth and therefore did well, so why can't he do well against weaker defenders? Dawson didn't seem to have an issue against the full back.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1388 on: December 20, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »
But as a larger forward, shouldn't he have learnt how to deal with smaller defenders. I mean it's 90% of his game. As you say he was stronger than Huth and therefore did well, so why can't he do well against weaker defenders? Dawson didn't seem to have an issue against the full back.
see my Huth example. He knows how to use his strength but what does he do when that doesn't work? It's what you are taught in martial arts such as judo. To use an opponents weight and power Against them. In this case rather than throwing them to the floor, all the defender needs is to throw the attacker off enough to either make a mistake or win the ball which is easier with taller players as they have a higher centre of gravity..

As a strong attacker playing target man you get two choices. back off and make space to turn like a smaller player would but that allows the defender into you and forces you forward, not good if it's a high ball as you need to stay where you are, or stand your ground and fight them, problem is that a good smaller defender that has your back will win most of those fights. So you try to draw the foul. Secret option 3 is play in behind but only works if you are faster than the defender which when they are smaller isn't always possible and relies on poor cover which wasn't the case against Utd.

On his own it's a losing fight as the smaller guy behind you can be much more physical and get away with it in comparison to the attacker if the best option is to flood them with bodies in an attacking sense as they can't mark every one. However this is a bad idea in terms of general play.

I'd also mention that a centre back and a full back defend in very different ways, so it's not surprising that Dawson was successful against his man.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1389 on: December 20, 2016, 02:05:08 PM »

It's not just about strength though, it's also about timing and speed into the challenge.

And the physical aspect has only become more a part of his game since joining us, as he's only really played the out and out target man role at the Albion.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

SirTonyPulis

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1390 on: January 07, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
Sorry, not good enough. Too inconsistent and wasteful. A new striker is the biggest priority if we want to improve our team, instead of signing an expensive midfielder.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1391 on: January 07, 2017, 05:32:17 PM »
Sorry, not good enough. Too inconsistent and wasteful. A new striker is the biggest priority if we want to improve our team, instead of signing an expensive midfielder.

I agree not clinical enough, scores in odd bursts but not regularly enough. Has he scored for two games on the trot?

smudger 2007

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1392 on: January 07, 2017, 06:10:27 PM »
I agree not clinical enough, scores in odd bursts but not regularly enough. Has he scored for two games on the trot?
was just saying this to my dad. He never scores in a run on the trot. Goalscires usually do eg odemwingie,Kevin Phillips,bob Taylor. He gets the odd one and a very good hat trick not so long ago but you would think his confidence would be sky high after that but he's not kicked on since. He should have buried the first half chance and never give Keogh chance to clear it off the line. I'm still unconvinced about him works hard scores occasionally but doesn't really show enough confidence to perform week in week out. Maybe a tad harsh but that's my opinion

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1393 on: January 07, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »
He does need to be more clinical

I'm not going to take away from him though most of our good forward play and goals come from his unselfish work

I really wish he could score more regularly and have a few runs of goals
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1394 on: January 07, 2017, 06:22:25 PM »
Was going to slag of the lad but he does a great job for team but will not be a prolific goal scorer for us in my humble opinion.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1395 on: January 07, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »
He does need to be more clinical

I'm not going to take away from him though most of our good forward play and goals come from his unselfish work

I really wish he could score more regularly and have a few runs of goals
Agree , think this was the reason Chadli was bought in but as we know that's gone a bit pear shaped.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1396 on: January 07, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »
very poor today should of buried that shoot in 1st half

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1397 on: January 07, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »
think we have to remember that mostly he's on his own upfront, works hard for the team but he isn't a natural finisher on the floor. when he's 100% on his game there's no better playing the lone striker role, when he's not the whole system we play looks naff. I like him but would be surprised if he plays at an higher lever then this.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1398 on: January 07, 2017, 08:17:22 PM »

Hallelujah we need some on in to challenge his position , too easily beaten in the air and poor technique on the ground .

stubba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1399 on: January 07, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »
Scapegoat season is upon us at I see