Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1129217 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #975 on: February 28, 2016, 02:57:34 PM »
Don't think he did much different to what he has done many times this season, only difference is we got players around him quicker than we usually do.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #976 on: February 28, 2016, 03:48:55 PM »
Don't think he did much different to what he has done many times this season, only difference is we got players around him quicker than we usually do.

Totally agree. IF Rondon had had any support this season he'd have been registring far more in the goals and assists columns.

Watching people on twitter & FB slate him when he's beem forced  to watch balls sail over his head has been very annoying.

He's not as skilful as a Odemwingie/Lukaku/Saido in their pomp. But he is good, he is strong and he will score if given any ammo.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #977 on: February 28, 2016, 06:07:51 PM »
Rondon certainly was much stronger yesterday I liked the way he knocked the palace defenders around. I feel with more confidence he can score and create more goals.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #978 on: February 28, 2016, 07:37:38 PM »
Absolutely outstanding yesterday, best performance so far!
Gera, Gera, Gera

AlbionDaz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #979 on: February 28, 2016, 08:03:06 PM »
Totally agree. IF Rondon had had any support this season he'd have been registring far more in the goals and assists columns.

Watching people on twitter & FB slate him when he's beem forced  to watch balls sail over his head has been very annoying.

He's not as skilful as a Odemwingie/Lukaku/Saido in their pomp. But he is good, he is strong and he will score if given any ammo.
I feel the same too,its like we are watching a different game,when I see the nastiness spouted on social media.

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #980 on: February 28, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »
Absolutely outstanding yesterday, best performance so far!
The way he controlled the ball off Dawson and layed it off for Sess in the build up to Saido's goal showed what he is capable of.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #981 on: February 28, 2016, 08:36:41 PM »
Very unlucky not to score with the first Goal, Hennessey made a good save.

Nice to see how much better he looks when he has support.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #982 on: February 28, 2016, 08:49:20 PM »
Best performance of the season.

Touch was much better and so was his movement. Didn't get bullied easily too. As mentioned above - the fact we actually got bodies near him meant we could use him effectively. It was noticeable how quick we played into Saido and Rondon before getting the ball wide.

I hope as a side we can build on that and not take a few steps backwards.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #983 on: February 29, 2016, 11:43:35 AM »
Best performance of the season.

Touch was much better and so was his movement. Didn't get bullied easily too. As mentioned above - the fact we actually got bodies near him meant we could use him effectively. It was noticeable how quick we played into Saido and Rondon before getting the ball wide.

I hope as a side we can build on that and not take a few steps backwards.

Having people up with him, means we can get forward faster and makes defences less able to organise.
From the time Dawson hit the ball forward to Solomon until Saido netting it was what? 5-6 seconds?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #984 on: February 29, 2016, 12:47:36 PM »
The key is getting players around him. Breaking the third goal down you can see the difference that it makes the clip of the goal on the match day thread from behind the goal demonstrates it perfectly.

Firstly Dawson fires are fairly brisk ball out of defence to Rondon who does well to control it. He moves the ball out to Sess and makes a run down the right hand channel. Berahino has made the run into the gap that this has opened up and is critically ahead of Rondon. This gives Sess two possible passes and presents the Palace defence with two balls they need to cover. Sess takes on the more difficult of the two options and Saido scores.

The brisk  pass out of defence to Rondon has has been a feature of our game it's probably a 60/40 ball at best and to his credit has probably controlled more of them than we have the right to expect, but too frequently the support is not there to lay it off.

Even when there is someone close enough to him to lay it off to no one makes the run ahead of him and ball gets fed down the channel and the defence can get across to him and the best we can hope for is a corner. In this instance had Sess gone with ball down the channel Saido was already in the box and Sess was close enough to join in the play again giving the player on the ball two options.

On face of it the goal was all about the ball from Sess to Saido and his finish, but Rondon played a massive part and we could have better used his talents this season by just being a little bit more adventurous at times
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #985 on: February 29, 2016, 12:59:53 PM »
The key is getting players around him. Breaking the third goal down you can see the difference that it makes the clip of the goal on the match day thread from behind the goal demonstrates it perfectly.

Firstly Dawson fires are fairly brisk ball out of defence to Rondon who does well to control it. He moves the ball out to Sess and makes a run down the right hand channel. Berahino has made the run into the gap that this has opened up and is critically ahead of Rondon. This gives Sess two possible passes and presents the Palace defence with two balls they need to cover. Sess takes on the more difficult of the two options and Saido scores.

The brisk  pass out of defence to Rondon has has been a feature of our game it's probably a 60/40 ball at best and to his credit has probably controlled more of them than we have the right to expect, but too frequently the support is not there to lay it off.

Even when there is someone close enough to him to lay it off to no one makes the run ahead of him and ball gets fed down the channel and the defence can get across to him and the best we can hope for is a corner. In this instance had Sess gone with ball down the channel Saido was already in the box and Sess was close enough to join in the play again giving the player on the ball two options.

On face of it the goal was all about the ball from Sess to Saido and his finish, but Rondon played a massive part and we could have better used his talents this season by just being a little bit more adventurous at times

good analysis, and here's the rub,

a little bit more adventurous at times  Why TP has not had the confidence in his players to allow them to be adventurous (up until now) is quite baffling.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #986 on: February 29, 2016, 01:18:39 PM »

a little bit more adventurous at times  Why TP has not had the confidence in his players to allow them to be adventurous (up until now) is quite baffling.

Berahino sulk and non performance.
Baggie in Southampton

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #987 on: February 29, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »

Sessegnon being inconsistent. Trying an extra turn and losing the ball instead of putting in a good delivery.
Berahino finally getting over his personal issues. Apparently saying sorry and performing like the £25m player he's supposed to be.
Rondon needing the time to adapt to the English league. For a while he's had a winter break so his body has had no real recovery period this season.
Fletcher able to play further forward without the wide players losing possession to much.

It all adds up. Pulis didn't decide to not attack just to wind you up  :D

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #988 on: February 29, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »

Berahino sulk and non performance.

This This This.

Like it or not Berahino has looked disinterested and unfit for most of the season.  He knuckles down for a few weeks, changes his attitude (hopefully) and then having a £15m-20m striker up top means we get to be more adventurous.

If we'd have played the same tactics as Saturday but with Anichibi up top with Rondon instead we'd have struggled just because Berahino offers so much more. 

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #989 on: March 01, 2016, 08:40:48 AM »
Sorry I don't accept the lazy narrative it's all Saido's fault. It doesn't have to be Saido it could equally have been Morrison before he was injured and the plain fact that even when they are on the pitch Sess or McLean have often been too deep to take the initial lay off, this is where countless similar situations have broken down.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #990 on: March 01, 2016, 09:32:18 AM »
None of those players you mention are going to play as far forward as Berahino.  And I think without Sess as well we wouldn't have looked so threatening.  It's not the only thing, I also think the week's rest plus playing a Palace side on a poor run of form contributed.

No one can doubt that Berahino looked far more like his old self.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #991 on: March 01, 2016, 10:28:59 AM »
Sorry I don't accept the lazy narrative it's all Saido's fault. It doesn't have to be Saido it could equally have been Morrison before he was injured and the plain fact that even when they are on the pitch Sess or McLean have often been too deep to take the initial lay off, this is where countless similar situations have broken down.

Valid point, maybe could have looked at other options. The problem is none of those players are anywhere near as good as Saido. He is literally head and shoulders above the rest of the squad. So it really does matter how he plays for us to be more adventurous.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #992 on: March 01, 2016, 10:47:44 AM »
Valid point, maybe could have looked at other options. The problem is none of those players are anywhere near as good as Saido. He is literally head and shoulders above the rest of the squad. So it really does matter how he plays for us to be more adventurous.

The point where it matters that it's Saido is when the ball arrives in the box at that point I would back him ahead of any other player at the club to score, but the basic movement and set up does not require Saido to be on the pitch. You could swap Sadio for Sess in the 10 role, but then who else is capable of delivering the ball that found Saido? Chris Brunt perhaps but not from that phase of play if he's at left back.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #993 on: March 01, 2016, 10:53:23 AM »

I certainly was not suggesting it's all Saido's fault, but to get the full offensive picture, you need all the pieces of the jigsaw in place, in the absence of Morrison, Saido became vital.
Baggie in Southampton

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #994 on: March 01, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »
I certainly was not suggesting it's all Saido's fault, but to get the full offensive picture, you need all the pieces of the jigsaw in place, in the absence of Morrison, Saido became vital.

Its true. In January we were screaming out for a central attacking midfield player as we only had/have two players who can play there - Morrison and Berahino, the former injured and the latter unfit/disinterested.

Without a number ten we were hopelessly lost going forward. It wasnt only Rondon that was completely isolated. Mcclean and Sess were too.

I think Pulis/Saido/Peace all have to share blame for that problem, but now we have a motivated Berahino back, I only expect more promising and exciting things from our front 4, like we saw on Saturday, especially from Rondon.

(this is when all 4 play woefully tonight and I look like a huge idiot  :P)

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #995 on: March 01, 2016, 11:29:53 AM »
Rondon would score more in a team which creates more chances in my opinion. Sess, CMc, McClean, Morrison and now Pritchard are all attack minded players who if they'd featured more together (in spite of Berahino's absence) would've helped to create more chances for Rondon I'd expect. All ifs and buts of course............

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #996 on: March 01, 2016, 11:57:43 AM »
Maybe just maybe now we are "safe" well nearly we can expect a bit more adventure. Well certainly at home.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #997 on: March 01, 2016, 12:02:35 PM »
Rondon would score more in a team which creates more chances in my opinion. Sess, CMc, McClean, Morrison and now Pritchard are all attack minded players who if they'd featured more together (in spite of Berahino's absence) would've helped to create more chances for Rondon I'd expect. All ifs and buts of course............

I think that's the law of averages
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

AshD

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #998 on: March 01, 2016, 01:49:40 PM »
I think that's the law of averages

But that's half the point really - a lot of other strikers in the prem will score more goals because they have more chances created for them. Rondon has been lucky to get 1 or 2 per game. So whilst some knock Rondon's goal return, it is difficult for him to be prolific as he gets far fewer chances than other prem strikers!

A lack of chances could also explain Rondon being snatchy in front of goal...if you know you are going to get so few chances, it adds pressure to the chances you finally get!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #999 on: March 01, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »
None of those players you mention are going to play as far forward as Berahino.  And I think without Sess as well we wouldn't have looked so threatening.  It's not the only thing, I also think the week's rest plus playing a Palace side on a poor run of form contributed.

No one can doubt that Berahino looked far more like his old self.
we played at Chelsea without saido and put just as good an attacking display on as we did against palace so someone was getting forward and threatening, it was a midweek game as well so tiredness didn't affect us that night.