Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1131191 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #775 on: January 23, 2016, 11:13:50 PM »
basically...
Pullis has killed him as a player who can perform.
not necessarily, just that he's doing about as well as expected.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #776 on: January 23, 2016, 11:24:57 PM »
Honestly, Rondon DOES!!

he tracks back and is good defensively, throws 110% into almost every game, provides variety as he can get on crosses, he can get in behind teams and he can hold a ball up, just not as long as a larger player such as Anichebe, for example.

There isn't a stiker that I personally know of that would be as close to what Pulis wants, other than Rondon and shane Long. Long's problem however is his overall height,  inability to hold a ball from a player all that well, injury record and the fact he's such a diver he makes CMac and Sess look like innocent.

Our system is currently at an extreme of defensive cowardice, to the point the striker is expected to defend corners, you cannot expect a striker of any caliber to be able to work sufficiently in that environment and get double figures. His job is be a pain in the backside, defend and get corners. That's about it.

Absolutely agree.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #777 on: January 23, 2016, 11:30:33 PM »
I don't think any striker has scored more than 10 goals in a season playing for Pulis, I have no idea why anyone would expect Rondon to be any different.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #778 on: January 23, 2016, 11:48:21 PM »
Granted the service is non-existent and he's isolated but he is still utter rubbish. He can't control the ball or shoot. His only turn of pace is when he's running off the pitch when subbed. The fact that his link play is non-existsnt doesn't help the midfield push up and support him. Note when he out suspended we looked more threatening and had more play. Not because Anichebe or Lambert carried much of a goal threat but because they could as least link with the midfield to allow the team time to move up the pitch.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #779 on: January 24, 2016, 12:01:21 AM »
Granted the service is non-existent and he's isolated but he is still utter rubbish. He can't control the ball or shoot. His only turn of pace is when he's running off the pitch when subbed. The fact that his link play is non-existsnt doesn't help the midfield push up and support him. Note when he out suspended we looked more threatening and had more play. Not because Anichebe or Lambert carried much of a goal threat but because they could as least link with the midfield to allow the team time to move up the pitch.

I'm sad to say that I think you could be right. However I dont think we can really give him too hard a time because playing in this team is impossible for a striker. He gets very very few chances which increases the pressure on him when he does get a chance. I feel sorry for him to be honest and have been willing him to score more, but chances are few and far between.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #780 on: January 24, 2016, 12:17:09 AM »
we have probably wasted 12m quid,but id still rather have him than vic or lambert

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #781 on: January 24, 2016, 12:31:50 AM »
we have probably wasted 12m quid,but id still rather have him than vic or lambert

If Rondon gets rested at the weekend then the thought of Lambert and anichebe makes me want to stay in London and not come up for it to be honest.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #782 on: January 24, 2016, 01:43:24 AM »
I've actually come to the point with Rondon where I actually prefer Brown Ideye and that is seriously saying something.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #783 on: January 24, 2016, 02:19:45 AM »
So we expect goals from Rondon but we aren't saying anything about the lack of service he has during games

collins101

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #784 on: January 24, 2016, 03:25:26 AM »
Nobody playing upfront for us will score goals with the way play. All Rondon can do is chase long balls into the corners because that's all we do !

socalbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #785 on: January 24, 2016, 07:06:01 AM »
I really do feel bad for any player playing as a striker under Pulis and Rondon is no exception. Yet, I just cant help myself feeling disappointed with Rondon's overall performance as a goal scorer which is what we broke our transfer fee to bring him here to do. Sure were frustratingly ultra defensive and most games lack any kind of descent service from the mid-field to our strikers but for 12M I expect more than (3) league goals from him with a little bit more than half the season behind us. Berahino has played 600 minutes less than Rondon this season and has the same goal tally in league games. Out of the (39) shots Rondon has taken only (11) have been on target as opposed to Berahino who has (6) shots on target from a total of (15) taken. Last season I believe Berahino scored (14) league goals (9) of them coming in the second half of the season under Pulis, at this rate Rondon will be lucky to have more than 7-8 all season. I'll admit Pulis didnt have us playing this negative after he was appointed but nonetheless you cant help but wonder how many of these draws might have been wins if SB had taken Rondon's (39) shots. Even with a bit of attitude and what some would describe as half hearted performances Saido has the same amount of goals as a 100% effort, hustling likeable Rondon. I say give the kid some starts and let him do what we know he can do and that is score goals as the alternative is scrapping for survival. Starting, playing and scoring goals will correct any attitude he may have and cross the fingers he don't get hurt and even if he does and his selling price is reduced, so what!! Any reduction in fees for Berahino due to an injury will be nothing compared to what we will lose if relegated!!

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #786 on: January 24, 2016, 01:45:04 PM »
the one shot he tried yesterday 2nd half into the Birmingham rd end was a ridiculous effort he hit it first time and he wasn't nowhere near in line with their goal,he was one on one he had time to trap the ball and turn inside the defender,on the rare occasion we do attack and move forward he never seems to be in the right place in the box,not forgetting he has missed a few excellent chances this season,hate to say this but about on par with idye except that idye had more pace

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #787 on: January 24, 2016, 01:55:10 PM »
If you look at his goals on line lots of crosses. We haven't got any quality out wide. No proper full backs so he ends up on his own against 3 or 4 defenders. He certainly doesn't look like a 12 million pound player but given the service you never know.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #788 on: January 24, 2016, 02:55:24 PM »
So we expect goals from Rondon but we aren't saying anything about the lack of service he has during games

Agreed about the lack of service, especially how deep we were in that second half against the Villa yesterday.

However, 'the lack of service' line doesn't excuse him for his horrendous first touch. How many times this season has the ball just bounced off him - he consistently loses the ball. It's all just hustle and bustle. I don't buy into the fact that he is this ultimate hard worker every game in which he plays. The lack of movement at times when the ball is about to be put into the box, or be looked to be slipped through, is poor.

The striker situation is becoming rather worrying.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #789 on: January 24, 2016, 02:59:38 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see Rondon ask for a move at the end of the season, WBAFC are not helping his career or international aspirations IMO.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #790 on: January 24, 2016, 03:11:57 PM »
i dont think it is at all possible to judge how good or otherwise a striker is when we set up and play the way we do - to say nothing of a remarkable lack of quality or creativeness in midfield or from our "full backs"! I feel sorry for Rondon - mostly he needs binoculars to see the nearest albion player!

on a slightly different not i should hope all those who were slagging Shane Long off on here are maybe thinking "be careful what you wish for"

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #791 on: January 24, 2016, 03:36:20 PM »
i dont think it is at all possible to judge how good or otherwise a striker is when we set up and play the way we do - to say nothing of a remarkable lack of quality or creativeness in midfield or from our "full backs"! I feel sorry for Rondon - mostly he needs binoculars to see the nearest albion player!

on a slightly different not i should hope all those who were slagging Shane Long off on here are maybe thinking "be careful what you wish for"

Not at all. Rondon is a much better player than Long.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #792 on: January 24, 2016, 03:41:59 PM »
Not at all. Rondon is a much better player than Long.

very hard to tell at the moment and i have no idea how you think you have evidence for that - or for plenty of other opinions for that matter!!!!!

. one thing is for sure is Long better suited to how we play at present. although the poor bloke would be absolutely knackered and by end of season he would be about 5'1"

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #793 on: January 24, 2016, 03:45:50 PM »
very hard to tell at the moment and i have no idea how you think you have evidence for that - or for plenty of other opinions for that matter!!!!!

. one thing is for sure is Long better suited to how we play at present. although the poor bloke would be absolutely knackered and by end of season he would be about 5'1"

Not sure how you figure that because aside from his 1 in 5 scoring rate Long's worst attribute is holding up the ball/awful first touch.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #794 on: January 24, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »
and Rondon has first class first touch???

does he hold the ball up well??? answer no!!

goals to game ratio - no difference

And anyway all i was saying is its hard to judge any striker at present. Might as well have The Jacko up front

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #795 on: January 24, 2016, 04:53:26 PM »
Honestly, Rondon DOES!!

he tracks back and is good defensively, throws 110% into almost every game, provides variety as he can get on crosses, he can get in behind teams and he can hold a ball up, just not as long as a larger player such as Anichebe, for example.

There isn't a stiker that I personally know of that would be as close to what Pulis wants, other than Rondon and shane Long. Long's problem however is his overall height,  inability to hold a ball from a player all that well, injury record and the fact he's such a diver he makes CMac and Sess look like innocent.

Our system is currently at an extreme of defensive cowardice, to the point the striker is expected to defend corners, you cannot expect a striker of any caliber to be able to work sufficiently in that environment and get double figures. His job is be a pain in the backside, defend and get corners. That's about it.

The accuracy of this post is uncanny

baggybazza

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #796 on: January 24, 2016, 05:12:23 PM »
Well i,ll be the 1st to admit i,m no Rondon supporter atm, He,a lacking everything a striker needs  Confidence, courage , support,and GOALS!!.
But i have just seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_BDgcL8VU4.
So my beloved baggies play to the lads strenghths and lets see if we can turn this dour, boring, rubbish , season into some thing to shout about for the remaining home games!.
Because i for 1 wont be renewing my season ticket next year if i,m going to have to watch this sh!!! week in week out .
Yesterday performance or lack off was the last straw for me.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #797 on: January 24, 2016, 05:34:31 PM »
Well i,ll be the 1st to admit i,m no Rondon supporter atm, He,a lacking everything a striker needs  Confidence, courage , support,and GOALS!!.
But i have just seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_BDgcL8VU4.
So my beloved baggies play to the lads strenghths and lets see if we can turn this dour, boring, rubbish , season into some thing to shout about for the remaining home games!.
The key things from Rondon's 2014-15 goal compilation for me are:

- Rondon most likes the ball at his feet, facing the goal
- Zenit played with other players making central runs past Rondon, enabling opportunities for swift inter-passing
- Zenit counter-attacked with pace and incisiveness
- For almost all of the goals scored from open play, Rondon had 2 or more team-mates with him in the penalty area, meaning he was less tightly marked

Serious questions need to be asked of the club as to why they sign strikers like Rondon and Ideye, knowing what their strengths are, and then don't make any attempt to play to those strengths? The outcome is inevitable and, having made that mistake with Ideye, we're doing it again with Rondon. Instead, Pulis seems to be intent on moulding Rondon into something else which, on current evidence, doesn't suit him.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #798 on: January 24, 2016, 07:51:19 PM »
Not sure how you figure that because aside from his 1 in 5 scoring rate Long's worst attribute is holding up the ball/awful first touch.
Shane Long took us apart when we played Southampton, he is also far better than Rondon in the air. i am not having a go at Rondon i think/ hope he will come good, but Pulis as said he is tired and needs a  couple of weeks rest!! i find this amazing especially when he as already had a three game rest for his stupid red card.

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #799 on: January 24, 2016, 08:00:45 PM »
If i was Rondon id want out ASAP.

He is being taken for a C U Next Tuesday. No support all season. I feel sorry for the chap.
West Bromwich Born, Greets Green Bred