Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556617 times)

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #8500 on: August 10, 2016, 01:46:49 PM »
We need to kill this wonderkid myth,

2015- 2016 he scored 4 in league and 3 in the cup.

2014-15, Premier League  P38 Scored14,    FA Cup P4    Scored5,    League Cup  P3   scored 1   â€”   Total P45   scored 20

looks good, but analyse it more
FA Cup 4 goals against Gateshead
premier league 4 pens

Being objective he scored 12 goals in "open play, in competitive games",

Which isn't bad, but not the great shakes it is percieved to be.

does he have potential, possibly if he gets his head sorted,

is he worth £20m -  Today = No!

Will we miss him?  IMO - No,   his disruptive factor and lack of contribution on the pitch do not equate to a loss IMHO.

Exactly. He is vastly overrated. He wasn't worth £20 million last summer either which is why I still say we should have snapped Tottenham's hand off when they made their offer. We would still have been better off both as a club and financially regardless of the payment instalments when you consider he was barely used last season so therefore it can hardly be said that he will be missed. If he stays then he will be a 'bit part player' again this season too so quite why we didn't sell him last year for £20+ million to Spurs I never know. We would have had a couple of chunky sized instalments already safely banked and we would be without the constant threat of his disruptive influence.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8501 on: August 10, 2016, 01:56:01 PM »
Stoke and palace think he's worth 20 million + if you are to believe the paper's. Blokes a nob but can score goals with either foot at this level and if he had a brain cell between those ears of his he'd have buckled down and did he's talking on pitch then we wouldn't be grudge his move and for slot more than 20 million

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8502 on: August 10, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »
Exactly. He is vastly overrated. He wasn't worth £20 million last summer either which is why I still say we should have snapped Tottenham's hand off when they made their offer. We would still have been better off both as a club and financially regardless of the payment instalments when you consider he was barely used last season so therefore it can hardly be said that he will be missed. If he stays then he will be a 'bit part player' again this season too so quite why we didn't sell him last year for £20+ million to Spurs I never know. We would have had a couple of chunky sized instalments already safely banked and we would be without the constant threat of his disruptive influence.
Berahino at 20m , pogba at 90m Andy Carroll at 50m , which one is the most overpriced?
You mention that he is a "disruptive influence" but in training and pre match he seems to get on with the majority of players and appears fit in?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8503 on: August 10, 2016, 02:08:01 PM »
Berahino at 20m , pogba at 90m Andy Carroll at 50m , which one is the most overpriced?
You mention that he is a "disruptive influence" but in training and pre match he seems to get on with the majority of players and appears fit in?

Carroll was 35 million.

In today's market Berahino is worth between 20 and 30 million on potential alone due to his British passport.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8504 on: August 10, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »

I mention the 'disruptive influence' because rightly or wrongly, what happened last summer was very much a direct disruptive influence on the club with what with his strike threat, negative media attention and then after that had all died down finding himself on the fringes of the team because of his actions rather than being what he should have been, a 'first name on the team sheet' starter in the side. The relationship will never be the same again between the club and Saido so because of that his value to the club has obviously diminished (that would apply to any non-regular starter) which is why I don't value him at the £20million asking price.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8505 on: August 10, 2016, 02:20:22 PM »
I mention the 'disruptive influence' because rightly or wrongly, what happened last summer was very much a direct disruptive influence on the club with what with his strike threat, negative media attention and then after that had all died down finding himself on the fringes of the team because of his actions rather than being what he should have been, a 'first name on the team sheet' starter in the side. The relationship will never be the same again between the club and Saido so because of that his value to the club has obviously diminished (that would apply to any non-regular starter) which is why I don't value him at the £20million asking price.

Essentially, it's £20 million because that is what it would cost to replace him. Allegedly Stoke & Palace agree.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8506 on: August 10, 2016, 02:44:21 PM »
Essentially, it's £20 million because that is what it would cost to replace him. Allegedly Stoke & Palace agree.

I agree, £20 million is probably what it would take to get a half decent, Premier League quality striker. We should though be looking to invest that sort of money at the very least regardless of Saido's worth/value. If Saido goes for nothing that shouldn't be stopping us spending £20 million in the transfer market on a replacement, after all, as has been said on here, that isn't actually (relatively speaking) a great deal in today's vastly over-inflated, TV money fuelled transfer market so we shouldn't be letting the situation and uncertainty over Saido dictate any movements for players. If we have to cut our losses and shift him on now for next to nothing then we should for the benefit of the stability and general well being of the club. As I said before, I think the relationship between the club and Saido is pretty much terminal so lets get rid for the benefit of everyone. If he manages to pull himself together and grow up in the future elsewhere then good luck to him, he just isn't for us anymore.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8507 on: August 10, 2016, 03:14:34 PM »
I do laugh at the "he won't reach his potential" quotes
He drives what car, his house is how big,he's guaranteed to earn how much in the next 18 months?
He's doing ok, some might not like him sucking air from a balloon and taking some photographs , but there are murderers , terrorists and perverts walking the streets...I know where my hatred will go
I tell you one thing , this guy loves and respects his mother, there are many that could still learn from him.

Really odd post. You're far more likely to be on the receiving end of an idiot like him on the roads than be murdered or caught in a terrorist attack.

I don't see how anyone can defend him. Just get rid of the silly boy, more hassle than he's worth.

Arthur Pewty

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #8508 on: August 12, 2016, 05:32:22 PM »
Being reported that he intends to see out his contract at WBA, therefore he will remain at the club until the end of the season. Looks like he realises that the prospect of either Stoke or Palace is the only exit route available. Therefore a good season will increase his stock and potentially a move to a bigger club..

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8509 on: August 12, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »
Being reported that he intends to see out his contract at WBA, therefore he will remain at the club until the end of the season. Looks like he realises that the prospect of either Stoke or Palace is the only exit route available. Therefore a good season will increase his stock and potentially a move to a bigger club..

That's been said for what, the last two seasons now?

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8510 on: August 12, 2016, 05:45:27 PM »
He is unlikely to get a good season here though. Pulis doesn't play to his strengths and told him last season that he could leave so doesn't truly have him in his plans.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8511 on: August 12, 2016, 05:54:27 PM »
He is unlikely to get a good season here though. Pulis doesn't play to his strengths and told him last season that he could leave so doesn't truly have him in his plans.

Pulis seems to want to keep him when asked about him, but then again... it's pulis, nothing surprises me with him

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8512 on: August 12, 2016, 05:55:28 PM »
He needs to move on for both his and the club's sake. Also, after all the trouble and turbulence he's caused, moving on would be the honourable thing to do, although I doubt he's too worried about that.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8513 on: August 12, 2016, 05:56:19 PM »
Pulis seems to want to keep him when asked about him, but then again... it's pulis, nothing surprises me with him
He doesn't have much choice but to say that really, as he might end up stuck with him once again.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8514 on: August 12, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8515 on: August 12, 2016, 06:37:54 PM »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8516 on: August 12, 2016, 06:51:30 PM »
He must be looking forward to his signing on fee to make up for not accepting higher wages.Dodgy strategy.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8517 on: August 13, 2016, 12:27:07 PM »
He must be looking forward to his signing on fee to make up for not accepting higher wages.Dodgy strategy.

He could probably have trebled his wages with us two seasons ago but has chosen to play silly buggers. If he stays with us for this season and doesn't impress then no-one will offer him big bucks next season. I agree, he is taking a big gamble. I can see him moving to Stoke before the deadline.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8518 on: August 13, 2016, 03:59:35 PM »
Saido Berahino will see out West Bromwich Albion contract

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-premier-league/story/2928076/saido-berahino-will-see-out-west-bromwich-albion-contract-sources

If thats true, wouldn't the club just sell him now? regardless of how much (or how less) they could sell him for surely it would be better to get something for him rather than letting him go for free?

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8519 on: August 13, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »
If thats true, wouldn't the club just sell him now? regardless of how much (or how less) they could sell him for surely it would be better to get something for him rather than letting him go for free?

He can't go for free at all unless it's abroad
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8520 on: August 13, 2016, 04:08:10 PM »
He can't go for free at all unless it's abroad

Im guessing that espn link is BS then? - I thought it made no sense when i read it tbh that the club would sit back and let that happen

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8521 on: August 13, 2016, 06:36:33 PM »
The problem is the club might want to sell him but unless he fancies the move then he simply can refuse to leave as are Pocognoli Gamboa and Lambert.

I want him gone and I'm not that fussed about having a replacement before he goes the current situation isn't working for anyone
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8522 on: August 13, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »
If I were him I'd run the contract down if the only options are Stoke or Palace. I hope he doesn't mind you, I want him gone.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8523 on: August 13, 2016, 08:07:53 PM »
The problem is the club might want to sell him but unless he fancies the move then he simply can refuse to leave as are Pocognoli Gamboa and Lambert.

I want him gone and I'm not that fussed about having a replacement before he goes the current situation isn't working for anyone

Can't blame anyone for refusing to go somewhere they don't want them to though.

But if Saido and Rondon have a good partnership going and get goals between them that puts points on the board... the current situation is working. It's pretty obvious to anyone he's going nowhere before we get a replacement, the sooner people just ignore everything else and focus on just the football the better.

Can see him still being here when the window closes

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8524 on: August 13, 2016, 08:35:31 PM »
Can't blame anyone for refusing to go somewhere they don't want them to though.

But if Saido and Rondon have a good partnership going and get goals between them that puts points on the board... the current situation is working. It's pretty obvious to anyone he's going nowhere before we get a replacement, the sooner people just ignore everything else and focus on just the football the better.

Can see him still being here when the window closes
Thought he was poor today and can't see them forging a partnership if he stays