Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556605 times)

Dubya BA

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #7050 on: February 01, 2016, 11:02:15 PM »
well that 's it until the summer transfer window-night folks..
Get it right because I will expose your mistakes and I will pull no punches! (although I will apologise if I get it wrong myself). DubyaBA

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7051 on: February 01, 2016, 11:05:30 PM »
did you see his tweet?? Im not on twitter so dont know if real, but this is what Daily Telegraph has him saying

"Everyone waiting once again for the silly little spoilt boy to make same mistake so here you go.
Goodnight all and thanks for the support"

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7052 on: February 01, 2016, 11:06:10 PM »
I think a transfer is all arranged for this summer. Probably spurs due to us getting pritchard. Just a hunch but I think Peace had agreed to sell and pulis will play Berhaino now.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7053 on: February 01, 2016, 11:07:33 PM »
did you see his tweet?? Im not on twitter so dont know if real, but this is what Daily Telegraph has him saying

"Everyone waiting once again for the silly little spoilt boy to make same mistake so here you go.
Goodnight all and thanks for the support"

Has been baited mercilessly today, as Berahino tweets go this one is quite mature.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7054 on: February 01, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »
I think a transfer is all arranged for this summer. Probably spurs due to us getting pritchard. Just a hunch but I think Peace had agreed to sell and pulis will play Berhaino now.

Here's hoping.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7055 on: February 01, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »
Yeah, he didn't have to tweet but I don't really care about that one, it made me laugh!  He's even admitting he made a mistake tweeting last time. I'm delighted he's still at the club as he's comfortably our most talented player so let's just hope he gets on with his football and scores goals, which suits all parties.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted he's still at the club, but I was hoping that he had reached a workable understanding with TP &JP so that we had a smooth ride between now & the end of the season. Got to say, now I'm not so sure that will be the case.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7056 on: February 01, 2016, 11:12:14 PM »
Has been baited mercilessly today, as Berahino tweets go this one is quite mature.
Found it quite funny , maybe just maybe the penny has dropped.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7057 on: February 01, 2016, 11:19:52 PM »
I read that as
so I am still here, people will be expecting me to react, so here goes

Good night xx

quite funny actually
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Baggieman1805

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7058 on: February 01, 2016, 11:20:47 PM »
Hat trick tomorrow ?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7059 on: February 01, 2016, 11:26:43 PM »

Not sure about that.  Did Spurs actually submit a bid?  They were desperate for another striker so I'm not sure that they wanted to wait till the sumner to get him.

The Pritchard loan might just have given them first option at say £20m in the summer, which would have kept Saido happy seeing as JP was so reluctant to sell now

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7060 on: February 01, 2016, 11:29:06 PM »
Hope he recovers his form as his goals should keep us up starting at home to Swansea

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7061 on: February 01, 2016, 11:30:21 PM »
I am so angry that this idiot is still an Albion player,that i am not going to make any more comments until i have slept on it!!

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7062 on: February 01, 2016, 11:54:42 PM »
I am so angry that this idiot is still an Albion player,that i am not going to make any more comments until i have slept on it!!

I'm happy, think he knows he's been a clown and it's in everyone's interest for him to start playing now. 15 goals I think now for the season. Will mean 3 good goalscoring season, not many strikers can actually blast that really

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7063 on: February 02, 2016, 12:22:37 AM »
I for one think Jeremy Peace has played a blinder so far.  He's refused to cave in to Saido's wish to leave, and in truth has probably helped Saido's career and prevented him from having to move to Newcastle or Stoke.

Saido clearly wants to go to Spurs.  Spurs did not actually make a bid so that was never an option.  No club made an offer early enough to enable us to buy a replacement, even assuming that (a) the bid was acceptable to the club, or (b) Saido was prepared to go to those clubs.   These clubs really need to learn that making serious bids when it's too late for the selling club to buy a replacement is pointless.

Where does it leave us with Saido?  That's the big question. The likes of Shearer, Henry and Harry Redknapp have given him some blunt advice today - he needs to knuckle down, get picked, score goals and he will earn his move.  He might even make the Euros.  Let's hope for Saido the penny has finally dropped.

For those who think JP has lost the plot by turning down £24m cash for Saido, let's consider the maths.  At tribunal in summer 2017 we are extremely likely to get close to £15m as it is a fact that today his market value is £24m (plus add-ons apparently).   So by not selling him now we may be throwing away £10m (although I think we could still get £20-£25m this summer with the new TV money coming in.  However, if we had bought another striker today for say £15m and £75k a week, then our outlay over the next 18 months would be nearly £21m.  With Saido only earning £15k a week, our outlay on his wages over the next 18 months is just £1.1m.  So if we lose £10m - no let's be conservative and say we will lose £15m rather than £10m on his value, our "cost" of keeping Saido is £16.1m over 18 months, compared with £21m if we buy a replacement.  Given that his goals over the next 18 months can keep us in the PL, it is fair to say that JP has worked this all out.

But I wouldn't leave it at that.  I think we should strike a new deal with Saido and offer him a new contract.  I would offer him a new 3-year deal on £60k/week plus a £2m bonus for signing it, and include a clause which would entities him to 50% of anything we get over £20m for him during his contract.  A massive incentive for him to do well and secure his dream move.  If he does well then we do well, and it immediately removes the gamble for the club of going to tribunal next year.  A win/win situation.

I realise it could cause an issue re the FFP wage gap seeing as we didn't offload anyone. That could be addressed by making the wage increase effective from say 1st June so that it has minimal impact on this season.  Not ideal but may be essential.

A highly motivated Saido on top of his game will reap massive benefits for us and for him.  No, it won't compensate for his very unprofessional behaviour since August, but we can put that fond to immaturity and very poor advice.  Time to move forward and I am convinced that we can turn what's been a nightmare into a major positive both for Saido and for the club.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7064 on: February 02, 2016, 12:24:01 AM »
Berahino tweet in case anyone missed it.

Everyone waiting once again for the silly little spoilt boy to make same mistake so here you go.
Goodnight all and thanks for the support❤️

Vassassin

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7065 on: February 02, 2016, 12:39:50 AM »
Glad he has not gone for 20 odd million. Don't know what I am missing but if rumors about Stones (defender with 65PL games and 1 goal) at 50mil, then Saido's rumors (88PL games for 22) IMHO should be for more. Suppose it all depends on who is doing the shopping. If he pulls his finger out, JP could be sitting on a gold mine.
Return our Parthenon Marbles, we're going nuts without them!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7066 on: February 02, 2016, 12:58:28 AM »
Overseas that is a decent summation of where things are at.

I don't think there is any realistic chance of Berahino signing a new contract even with some pretty favourable  terms. Equally a lot depends on a the player knuckling down and the Head Coach playing him. I am not convinced that either will happen and the latter is dependent on the former.

Peace has done what Peace can be relied on to do which is not sell a player for less than he thinks he's worth. Frankly I am surprised that a £24m straight cash offer was knocked back but plainly there were no off the shelf deals to be done for possible replacements and the fact that Newcastle are not that far behind us in the table could have influenced the club's thinking.

What this window has demonstrated is the price for Berahino is north of £20m and there are more than one club to pay that price. This might influence a transfer panel if things get that far but a lot of water has to flow under the bridge for us to get there and unless Berahino is playing regularly I doubt a tribunal will go beyond £10m.

It is now down to Saido and Pulis to make the most of a bad job (from their point of view) and get through to the end of the season when this matter will finally be resolved.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7067 on: February 02, 2016, 01:11:47 AM »
For those who think JP has lost the plot by turning down £24m cash for Saido, let's consider the maths.  At tribunal in summer 2017 we are extremely likely to get close to £15m as it is a fact that today his market value is £24m (plus add-ons apparently).   

Quick one, what if his form drastically deteriorates and in the next 18 months is a shadow of his former self? Again you fail to aknowledge a move outside England leaves us with not.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7068 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:59 AM »
Quick one, what if his form drastically deteriorates and in the next 18 months is a shadow of his former self? Again you fail to aknowledge a move outside England leaves us with not.

Yes, loss of form is obviously a risk, as would be loss of form of an expensive replacement player.  Unlikely, but clearly possible.

Not sure what you mean by "again" as I've acknowledged it previously, but yes, a move abroad would mean no tribunal fee which is another reason to remove this risk by offering him a new contract with a buyout clause.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7069 on: February 02, 2016, 01:24:40 AM »
Overseas that is a decent summation of where things are at.

I don't think there is any realistic chance of Berahino signing a new contract even with some pretty favourable  terms. Equally a lot depends on a the player knuckling down and the Head Coach playing him. I am not convinced that either will happen and the latter is dependent on the former.

Peace has done what Peace can be relied on to do which is not sell a player for less than he thinks he's worth. Frankly I am surprised that a £24m straight cash offer was knocked back but plainly there were no off the shelf deals to be done for possible replacements and the fact that Newcastle are not that far behind us in the table could have influenced the club's thinking.

What this window has demonstrated is the price for Berahino is north of £20m and there are more than one club to pay that price. This might influence a transfer panel if things get that far but a lot of water has to flow under the bridge for us to get there and unless Berahino is playing regularly I doubt a tribunal will go beyond £10m.

It is now down to Saido and Pulis to make the most of a bad job (from their point of view) and get through to the end of the season when this matter will finally be resolved.

Standaman

I'm not sure why he wouldn't sign a new contract.  A massive pay rise, a big signing on fee and a share of his future transfer fee with a fixed buyout clause isn't exactly tying him into anything undesirable!

Re a tribunal value we simply don't know, but it is designed to compensate a club for its academy-produced players. If a player is worth £25m today with just 18 months left on his contract then the time value attributable to his contract is pretty low, leaving a far higher intrinsic value.  £15m is not unreasonable, £10m seems likely to be a minimum.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7070 on: February 02, 2016, 01:25:02 AM »
Yes, loss of form is obviously a risk, as would be loss of form of an expensive replacement player.  Unlikely, but clearly possible.

Not sure what you mean by "again" as I've acknowledged it previously, but yes, a move abroad would mean no tribunal fee which is another reason to remove this risk by offering him a new contract with a buyout clause.

At a £24m sale you could argue you get two chances to get it right as opposed to a figure far less than that.

Why even offer him a deal, he's not going to sign one. Financial gain is rendered void when you consider he can more than make that up in 18 months time if he runs it down and walks.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7071 on: February 02, 2016, 05:26:59 AM »
Wow, some people really don't like being proven wrong do they?

Well done Saido for sticking two fingers up at the people who can't wait to pick faults, and the hypocrites who undoubtedly acted like ****heads in their early 20's just like Saido.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7072 on: February 02, 2016, 07:02:32 AM »
He's staying with us now, so let him play and he will bring us goals.Simple.
The PRIDE of midlands

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7073 on: February 02, 2016, 07:43:45 AM »
He's staying with us now, so let him play and he will bring us goals.Simple.

Spot on, and more to the point when he is playing lets support him.

We were all young and foolish once - he has recognised his 'mistake' in his tweet. Regardless of your views he is still a talented lad and he demonstrated that on Saturday.

I think Overseas baggie has summed it up well - cannot disagree with any of that.

MAGA!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7074 on: February 02, 2016, 07:45:20 AM »
At a £24m sale you could argue you get two chances to get it right as opposed to a figure far less than that.

Why even offer him a deal, he's not going to sign one. Financial gain is rendered void when you consider he can more than make that up in 18 months time if he runs it down and walks.

Why wouldn't he sign it?  He'd be getting £2m upfront plus a £60k/week rise for at least the next 18 months compared with if he just lets his contract run down.

How would he "more than make that up in 18 months time if he runs it down and walks" when the buying club is very likely to have to pay £10m to £15m to us in compensation?  He would NOT be going for free unless he moved abroad.